Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's probably worth watching IBO if you expect a flawed show which isn't quite able to reach the depths it is trying to hit but has some individual extremely strong moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
IBO isn't bad, it has some unsatisfying elements, but it also has some great characters and good action.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Attack on Titan is actually a pretty decent shout if you don't mind your mecha being a little... meaty. Kuromukuro is also great, but the robot fighting is actually the weakest part.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I think I'm just gonna buy the PS4 SRW instead of watching anything :v:

thanks for the recommendations though!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Every time new voltron episodes come out, Im more and more impressed with the world building they do.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

KoldPT posted:

I think I'm just gonna buy the PS4 SRW instead of watching anything :v:

thanks for the recommendations though!

Probably not a bad idea, SRW V looks great. I definitely want it, although I need to find some way to get Singapore codes to buy it, if I understood correctly.

Kingtheninja posted:

Every time new voltron episodes come out, Im more and more impressed with the world building they do.

Agreed. The first season felt a bit weak to me, but still enjoyable, but goddamn from the very beginning of the second it just got amazing and never stopped. There's just a lot of thought put into the universe at large and I love it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
V is an extremely solid standalone SRW. The only thing that makes me feel like it's not the current perfect beginner SRW is that if they don't continue with anytime Spirits, it may spoil new players who don't know how you're usually meant to use them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

KoldPT posted:

Has there been any mecha show worth watching in the last few years? I was taking a look at a wiki to find out something to watch, and it really feels like I should just watch IBO/Origin and pretend other robot shows just stopped existing like ten years ago.

G-Reco is probably the best gundam show in the entire franchise, or at least one of the prettiest. I love it a whole lot!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

V is an extremely solid standalone SRW. The only thing that makes me feel like it's not the current perfect beginner SRW is that if they don't continue with anytime Spirits, it may spoil new players who don't know how you're usually meant to use them.

I'm not sure which SRW I'd put as the perfect beginner one. OG was my first (being, you know, in English and all) and it definitely worked for me, it's simple enough without having any weird mechanics that never appeared again, but at the same time it's a bad entry for fans that want to see their favourite mecha shows together for obvious reasons.

W could be a good entry point, I guess, although using parts for skills instead of learning them with points might be a bit confusing when the player moves on to a different game. Still, it's a simple enough game, with enough broken as hell units to make it easy to go through (hi, Valcazard, GaoGaiGar, Tekkamen, thanks for playing the game for me), not to mention how it's very well-written. I guess this'd be the best entry point for me, although with the obvious need of either knowing Japanese or having guides around (Brunom's LP, for instance, which made me like W a lot more thanks to knowing what was going on).

StrixNebulosa posted:

G-Reco is probably the best gundam show in the entire franchise, or at least one of the prettiest. I love it a whole lot!

Writing-wise, it has quite a few issues, so I wouldn't call it the best in the franchise. That said, it sure is pretty. I don't think anyone can deny that. All the small touches, even in background characters, show a lot of effort from the animators.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blaze Dragon posted:

Writing-wise, it has quite a few issues, so I wouldn't call it the best in the franchise. That said, it sure is pretty. I don't think anyone can deny that. All the small touches, even in background characters, show a lot of effort from the animators.

I feel that its ideas and scope and message outweigh its flaws, which elevates it for me.

I mean, I compare it something like Zeta which was fundamentally uncompelling for me, or Turn A which got a bit muddled in how long it was.... well, I really, really love G-Reco.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Caphi posted:

V is a solid game, but man it can be easily broken. Some units like the Yamato and Mazinger 0 are nuts Plus it's got an easily abusable spirit system.

You usually don't place a modern SRW for the challenge.

Also I'm in the camp that really liked IBO and didn't like G-reco at all.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 14, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

KoldPT posted:

Has there been any mecha show worth watching in the last few years? I was taking a look at a wiki to find out something to watch, and it really feels like I should just watch IBO/Origin and pretend other robot shows just stopped existing like ten years ago.

We were just talking about Knights & Magic over in the summer thread. It's decent enough and worth a three episode test.

Plot synopsis : Programmer Otaku is killed in a traffic accident. He's reincarnated in a magical world (full reincarnation, as a baby growing up etc, not just the typical 'here you go you're an adolescent in the other world now'). Growing up his life is saved by a giant mecha and his memories of being an otaku return. He then decides to train to become a pilot, and eventually decides he wants to build his own dream mecha entirely from scratch.

It's technically Isekai but that element isn't dominant. Mainly it's about Mecha - there are mecha fights but the focus of the show is more about the design and creation, customization, etc. The MC completely nerds out when he gets into one, he goes off the rails whenever he sees them, designs new mechas at the drop of a hat (Pissing off the establishment since there haven't been any major changes to the mechs in 100 years), and generally behaves like the typical obsessive otaku type.

It tends to be rushed with lots of timeskips because it's fun to see him create ideas and then see the finished ideas, and the character growth definitely suffers as a result. The characters are enjoyable but there's not a whole lot of tension, 7 episodes in and the actual fights we've seen are outnumbered by mecha tests and mock battles, practice matchups, things like that. The MC is the typical 'so girly people can't tell his gender' trap type character which may be offputting to some people, but the animation seems quite solid and the mecha designs are definitely fun. It's not for everyone but this IS the Mecha thread so people here will probably have fun with it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not sure which SRW I'd put as the perfect beginner one. OG was my first (being, you know, in English and all) and it definitely worked for me, it's simple enough without having any weird mechanics that never appeared again, but at the same time it's a bad entry for fans that want to see their favourite mecha shows together for obvious reasons.

W could be a good entry point, I guess, although using parts for skills instead of learning them with points might be a bit confusing when the player moves on to a different game. Still, it's a simple enough game, with enough broken as hell units to make it easy to go through (hi, Valcazard, GaoGaiGar, Tekkamen, thanks for playing the game for me), not to mention how it's very well-written. I guess this'd be the best entry point for me, although with the obvious need of either knowing Japanese or having guides around (Brunom's LP, for instance, which made me like W a lot more thanks to knowing what was going on).

W is extremely solid, but apart from the issue of the translation existing, it's also... clearly a DS game, and not one of the envelope-pushing ones. V not only looks like a modern SRW, it's the prettiest non-OG by a large margin on top of being comfy to play.

(I'm going to admit that W was my gateway SRW and it was mostly on account of GoLion, who I did not actually use, though I watched GGG and Nadesico as a result of playing it.)

The thing with SRW difficulty is that mainstream SRW doesn't have any gears between "easy" and "five hour slog." The last time I felt challenged by an SRW and not just in despair at half a million HP was Z and NEO. MD was "hard" but I couldn't actually get through it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably worth watching IBO if you expect a flawed show which isn't quite able to reach the depths it is trying to hit but has some individual extremely strong moments.

gundamshowreview.rtf

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
G Reco has the best eye catches in the series, that is for sure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

a flawed show which isn't quite able to reach the depths it is trying to hit

Blaze Dragon posted:

Writing-wise, it has quite a few issues,

That's not so much a condemnation of IBO as it is Gundam as a whole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

That's not so much a condemnation of IBO as it is Gundam as a whole.

IBO, compared to a lot of Gundam shows, attempts to tackle a lot more serious subject matter. Gundam isn't exactly restrained in this regards but IBO has a much higher reach or a lot more grounded concepts than most Gundam shows. This isn't a flaw on its own but it means its failures can be a lot more offputting or uncomfortable in addition to all the usual Gundam problems. It runs into an awkward area of going too far in some places, not far enough in others, and just going strange places in others still and the end result is a show that even for a Gundam show is all over the place. It has some incredibly good individual character moments but as a whole they create a very eeh whole.

It's nowhere near the worst Gundam show by any means but I will say it's a hard one to recommend because it doesn't excel at any one thing but comes very close to doing so.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also IBO's flaws tend to also make the show on a whole just feel way more thematically inconsistent with itself compared to other Gundam shows. I mean the other series often feel like they are having trouble getting their themes and messages across, but its never as inconsistent and like all over the place as IBO.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I found IBO to be mostly just kind of boring. And I say that as someone who adores Turn-A, which many other people find rather boring. I've only seen season one of IBO though, so I can't comment on the second season. That said, the first 4 or 5 episodes of season one are really good, the last few episodes are decent if somewhat undercut by their own unwillingness to give any kind of consequence but the rest is just really dull and that rest is 15 or so episodes. The good in the season doesn't make the slog worth it to me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If there's one thing you can't fault IBO for, it's a lack of ambition. Not many directors have the sheer balls to create a mob story that simultaneously serves as a reimagining of Zeta Gundam, Berserk, and the rise and fall of the goddamned Japanese Empire.

Gundam TV shows tend to aim big, but Iron-Blooded Orphans aimed big.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's not something I could fault it for, but it's not something I'd praise it for either. Aiming big isn't worth anything on it's own. That said, I'm not even sure how IBO is a re-imagining of Zeta.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

More like Gundam IBS

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The new Voltron is indeed good as gently caress and it would be great to see it in future SRW games if possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Light Gun Man posted:

The new Voltron is indeed good as gently caress and it would be great to see it in future SRW games if possible.

God yes, it would be so great.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's going to be a five slot SRX and I'm not even going to care.

(Realistically the lions are going to be an attack, but the show is so good about having lots of lion dogfights, giving each lion its own weapons and niche, and saving Voltron for big moments, or at least it was in the first season, that I actually want the lions to be their own units.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

It's not something I could fault it for, but it's not something I'd praise it for either. Aiming big isn't worth anything on it's own. That said, I'm not even sure how IBO is a re-imagining of Zeta.

I think it's more of a second season thing, if I'm reading Walrus right. But even first season has the heroes be against the Federation types and work with the Char clone. (It's just complicated by Garma's counterpart being surprisingly long lived)

I'd also say the second season is where the show switches from having possibly gutsy moves to just dropping its balls right on the table.

Although I agree IBO has some notable flaws, especially with midseason pacing, I'd say it does enough well that most shows would balk at to justify calling it one of the better Gundams.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 15, 2017

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the castle as a ship :pcgaming:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

It contains a lot of remixed elements, culminating in a group of psychologically damaged children going off to die in a sociopathic manchild's effort to do something good for once in his life, a rebellion against the evil, Earth-based space police who (unbeknownst to them all) have been subverted by a ruthless, charismatic genius, his fanatically devoted female sidekick, and the main character's sad-sack rival (who is mad at the MC because he repeatedly humiliated him and killed two of his love interests), who have very different plans for the organisation.

As for why it's worth praising, it's because ambition is interesting. Aim high, and you'll give the audience lots to think about and talk about even if you fail. IBO aimed insanely high, and is the most thought-provoking Gundam show in a long, long time as a result.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Light Gun Man posted:

Don't forget the castle as a ship :pcgaming:

And all those stages where you'd have to use the Lions without forming Voltron. :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Darth Walrus posted:

As for why it's worth praising, it's because ambition is interesting. Aim high, and you'll give the audience lots to think about and talk about even if you fail. IBO aimed insanely high, and is the most thought-provoking Gundam show in a long, long time as a result.

I don't get this. What about IBO screams "aiming high?" Yeah it had some interesting ideas, but calling it thought provoking really seems like a stretch.

I don't even think it was that ambitious, because yeah it was a show with a ton of different ideas, but it would quickly abandon ideas and elements to its a mess of a plot instead of trying to actually tie them into anything.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

its failures can be a lot more offputting or uncomfortable

Snooze Cruise posted:

the show on a whole just feel way more thematically inconsistent with itself

What I take from all this is that IBO is an extremely Gundam-like Gundam show.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hell even the previous Voltron cartoon would be interesting in SRW, as it had extra units and the strange option of forming Voltron with different lions as the core for different forms. It's like the perfect :regd08: for the combining/transforming function.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
G-Reco at least have people that are passionate about it. The most anyone gets out of IBO is "Well, that was a thing I guess. It failed miserly, but not enough that I care."

When more people are excited about Gundam SEED, you are a bad show.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the big thing with IBO is like

it is most certainly a flawed show, but modern standards for the vast majority of gundam has been to completely and utterly poo poo the bed in some capacity

SEED was kind of a clusterfuck and the sequel took that to unprecedented heights, 00 started strong but the second season and movie were hot garbage, AGE started meh, had a good second quarter, and then was just awful all around in the last half, and Reco...saying it poo poo the bed is exaggerating, but if one of IBO's problems is being muddled and all over the place then holy poo poo are you not going to have fun with Reco

and I'd argue the majority of Universal Century kinda sucks too. I loved the original 0079 but felt Zeta was a drag when I was literally watching it at 150% speed, and somehow ZZ's meandering is even worse. expansions have been hit or miss too

so it's mostly the first four AUs which I would call the real highlight of the franchise, and IBO's pretty similar to those in quality and execution. there's still problems but they're good shows that don't totally fall apart in their second halves like almost all of the rest recently

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tae posted:

G-Reco at least have people that are passionate about it. The most anyone gets out of IBO is "Well, that was a thing I guess. It failed miserly, but not enough that I care."

When more people are excited about Gundam SEED, you are a bad show.

I really like IBO for the same reason an earlier poster said about it trying to take risks. It didn't turn into 0079 or Zeta with the numbers filed off and the protagonists weren't in a super special third part to try and stop conflict. It told the real Gundam story about how adults are lovely in a new and interesting way. Also just from a how things work in universe perspective it has a combat style and setting that are really unique.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You should watch Vifam instead.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
IBO is cool and good and it's nice to see a Gundam show not be explicitly about beam spam or the same "psychics awaken and change everything through space love" plot. It's not for everybody but folks should give it the ol' three episode try before dismissing it. The English dub changes some of the name pronunciation pretty dramatically but is otherwise fine.

Knight's & Dragons, however, is a big dumb trainwreck of a show. The framing device used is super flimsy and the show might be better without it and it spends waaaaaaaaay too much time showing us how much better a mecha otaku would be than guys who've spent their whole lives building mecha. If it were just a show about a mecha arms race in a fantasy setting, I think it would be better. Ernie and the siblings are also mostly unlikeable characters. I'mma keep watching it though because it doesn't look like there's a lot of mecha anime happening this season at all, and it's not aggressively bad the way Argevollen was.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

I don't get this. What about IBO screams "aiming high?" Yeah it had some interesting ideas, but calling it thought provoking really seems like a stretch.

I don't even think it was that ambitious, because yeah it was a show with a ton of different ideas, but it would quickly abandon ideas and elements to its a mess of a plot instead of trying to actually tie them into anything.

It was putting its own spin on (at minimum) two of the most famous, influential, and acclaimed nerd properties in the country, in order to capture the national experience of Japan's most influential, traumatic few decades of the past three centuries for people living almost a century later. That's pretty damned gutsy. Seriously, the final arc of S2 does an amazing job of showing the mad whirl of emotion that must have accompanied the fall of the Empire - the hubris, the rising panic, the humiliation, the guilt, the hope, and the despair. It also gives us a hell of a lot to chew on - the degrading nature of oppression, and the triumph and beauty that can still be found within it, as well as the moral and practical value of violent rebellion versus incremental change (were the reforms at the end of the show provoked by McGillis and Tekkadan shocking the world into action? If so, did that make what they did worth it?). Even the mechanical design has a deeper, more intimate, and more complex relationship with the story and themes than is usual for Gundam.

I definitely think it's OK that it doesn't answer all of its questions - these are not solved arguments in the real world, but they're important, and identifying problems and inviting more people to think about them more is always a plus.

Tae posted:

G-Reco at least have people I know that are passionate about it. The most I get out of IBO is "Well, that was a thing I guess. It failed miserly, but not enough that I care."

When more people I know are excited about Gundam SEED, you are not a show that Tae and his friends like.

FTFY.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno if it's disqualified from this conversation due to being an OVA series instead of a TV show, but fundamental thunderbolt was an extremely good mecha anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Light Gun Man posted:

Hell even the previous Voltron cartoon would be interesting in SRW, as it had extra units and the strange option of forming Voltron with different lions as the core for different forms. It's like the perfect :regd08: for the combining/transforming function.

This is the main reason why I want Aquarion Logos at some point in SRW. For all the flaws that show had (and it was not lacking in those, though I found it enjoyable regardless) having a bunch of different Aquarion forms combined from different Vector choices and sometimes even the same but reversed was neat as hell and I also see it as something really hard to adapt to how SRW works, so I'm super interested about what Banpresto would do with that.