Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

feedmegin posted:

Object oriented cobol is an actual thing too

actually, it's called ADD 1 TO COBOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
spring comes with a ton of poo poo, it's true. but anything you want to do with it is very easy to accomplish & has like 3 baeldung guides on how to do it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I mean I agree that coming into a project with more lines of xml than java can be weird at first, but you get used to it after a while

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ploft-shell crab posted:

I mean I agree that coming into a project with more lines of xml than java can be weird at first, but you get used to it after a while
you can also do java-based spring instead of xml-based. not sure which one's better, but I definitely prefer the java-based

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
use guice

i don't think even spring knows what the hell spring is doing with its life these days

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That's why many are starting to do spring boot.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
im supposed to be teaching a bunch of colleageus about Python / backend programming in a single 2 hour class as part of our "internal training" (lol)

they have (mostly) very little tech knowledge (altho there's a couple of JS devs in there)

currently im thinking like 1 hour running over the basics (whats programming, whats backend, vague stuff about our company's tech stack/arch) and then like 1h of code academy

but i have the feeling that this will be ultimately inconsequential other than just a "hey this seems cool", and wont lead to any deeper knowledge (kinda inevitable given 2h)

u guys got any good tips 4 me?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

nope. that sounds like an impossible task to do anything but to maybe pique interest

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I laughed when I thought of "dehumanize yourself and face to bikeshed" and did a Google search to see how many other people thought of it before me. There's one hit and it's from two years ago in this very thread:

eschaton posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to bikeshed

But wait! What about the inferior British spelling?

Convoolio posted:

dehumanise yourself and face to bikeshed

The PL thread beats this thread by a year! But still, pretty good that the only two Google hits for the phrase are YOSPOSts!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

okay, whats the deal with data with row-based databases (if that sounds off then im asking about column-based databases)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

CPColin posted:

I laughed when I thought of "dehumanize yourself and face to bikeshed" and did a Google search to see how many other people thought of it before me. There's one hit and it's from two years ago in this very thread:

But wait! What about the inferior British spelling?

The PL thread beats this thread by a year! But still, pretty good that the only two Google hits for the phrase are YOSPOSts!

lol

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

fun fact: -ise is not the british spelling, this is a common misconception; it depends on the styleguide you're following. for example the OED reccomends -ize. i personally as a british person also prefer -ize

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

okay, whats the deal with data with row-based databases (if that sounds off then im asking about column-based databases)

they're databases in the sense that any program that primarily deals with the storage and retrieval of information is a database, but if you start thinking about them like an RDBMS then its going to bite you in the rear end

column databases distribute well, except when they dont :commissar:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

im supposed to be teaching a bunch of colleageus about Python / backend programming in a single 2 hour class as part of our "internal training" (lol). they have (mostly) very little tech knowledge (altho there's a couple of JS devs in there). currently im thinking like 1 hour running over the basics (whats programming, whats backend, vague stuff about our company's tech stack/arch) and then like 1h of code academy. but i have the feeling that this will be ultimately inconsequential other than just a "hey this seems cool", and wont lead to any deeper knowledge (kinda inevitable given 2h)

i think it's best to start out with the questions "who is my audience", "what is the point of this training supposed to be", and "what are my constraints" (i.e. time and other resources). it sounds like you have some flexibility in designing the class; imo this is good and might be a big key to your success

for your audience, if it's going to be people at your org who mostly don't have programming/cyberwizard knowledge, i would suggest to design your class at their level. you say there are some JS devs in the class who (presumably) know more, but imo it's better for the couple of more-technical people to be bored with stuff they already know, vs. trying to sprinkle in advanced concepts for them and confusing the heck out of your newbies

for the point of the training, is there one? did you volunteer for this, did some higher-up put you on it, is there some specific goal or set of criteria you're supposed to be working towards? my uninformed guess is that you probably have a goal like "explain to these people what my department/team does" or "get people more interested in this side of our operation" or something like that

for time and resources, imo this is one of the key things about giving a speech/presentation/class. it is very easy to cram too much stuff into a presentation. i would be careful about your plan to explain "programming, backend, and our tech stack" in one hour to a bunch of nontechnical people. lecturing for an hour on random computer science topics and tech buzzwords has a very good chance to just make your colleagues' eyes glaze over, and even if they do care, spending three minutes giving a super condensed summary of big-O notation or whatever probably won't stick with them or be useful to them. the other thing about resources is "do i have access to computers or other things i may want to use as teaching aids". you want to have this stuff set up and ready to go so that you aren't wasting time janitoring computers during your training. one other resource i would keep in mind is people: if you do something like code academy, you WILL end up running around to help people during the activity, so if your class will have more than a few people, this kind of activity would benefit a lot from having technical coworkers who can help during that portion of it

i think your idea of having people do an activity is better than just lecturing, but i would still keep in mind my three bullet points here. code academy is great, but ask yourself: will my audience learn anything, or even give a crap? if they will learn something, is it going to satisfy what we're actually trying to do with this training? if yes, do we have the resources for this to run smoothly, and enough time that they will learn what we want them to/learn enough? (obviously you can't make people give craps about things, but imo it helps to at least consider the question)

my final advice would be: try to make it fun, or at least mildly interesting. an example here would be one of the CS professors at my college, and the activity he would do during the first class period when he taught the networking course. this class was one of the lower level classes in the department, and it was a requirement for CS, MIS, and maybe was an elective for other things, so you had a mix of people from "i am totally already dedicated to being a cs major" to "i'm not sure yet" and "i have to take this nerd class omg". the activity he did was to give every student a sheet of paper that was folded in half. then he would explain that on the inside of the paper there was a set of instructions, and when he said "go" you were to unfold the paper and follow them. then he says "go" and you unfold the paper, and it says "you are number X. everyone else has a number, too. you have a list of instructions below that you need to follow". and the instructions were like "give the message 'hello' to number Y" or "if you get the message 'the job is done' from number Z, give the message 'continue' to number A". what happens of course is that the room at first explodes into people yelling, but then usually what happens is that everyone organizes themselves into some system of message passing. then when the class is done, the professor would put on his aviator shades and say "imagine four computer science students on the edge of their seats..."

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lancemantis posted:

they're databases in the sense that any program that primarily deals with the storage and retrieval of information is a database, but if you start thinking about them like an RDBMS then its going to bite you in the rear end

column databases distribute well, except when they dont :commissar:

how's the structure suited for ad hoc analytics by people used to generic row databases?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how's the structure suited for ad hoc analytics by people used to generic row databases?

do you like mapreduce? because you should probably like mapreduce (or spark, or anything similar)

like lets take hbase as an example: its basically a giant disk-persisted multi-dimensional hashmap; you have keys that serve to link information in columns together pretty much, and column families that serve as top level organization for the types of information you might be storing, and then qualifiers that zero in on the actual data, so if you transformed this information into a row, it would look something like

<id> <column_family_1>:<qualifier_1_1> [data] <column_family_1>:<qualifier_1_2> [data] <column_family_2>:<qualifier_2_1> [data] etc etc

now when it comes to queries: its pretty much key-value mechanics as you would imagine with a format that is basically a hashmap; you can do scans and tricks with partial key matching to get a collection of data, but thats about it

there are filters that you can apply to your queries but those are applied to the columns so it can be kind of weird because it feels like you'll get partial results back because one column with the key you're looking at fits the criteria but another one doesn't so it doesn't get returned

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

kdrudy posted:

That's why many are starting to do spring boot.

spring boot?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lancemantis posted:

do you like mapreduce? because you should probably like mapreduce (or spark, or anything similar)

like lets take hbase as an example: its basically a giant disk-persisted multi-dimensional hashmap; you have keys that serve to link information in columns together pretty much, and column families that serve as top level organization for the types of information you might be storing, and then qualifiers that zero in on the actual data, so if you transformed this information into a row, it would look something like

<id> <column_family_1>:<qualifier_1_1> [data] <column_family_1>:<qualifier_1_2> [data] <column_family_2>:<qualifier_2_1> [data] etc etc

now when it comes to queries: its pretty much key-value mechanics as you would imagine with a format that is basically a hashmap; you can do scans and tricks with partial key matching to get a collection of data, but thats about it

there are filters that you can apply to your queries but those are applied to the columns so it can be kind of weird because it feels like you'll get partial results back because one column with the key you're looking at fits the criteria but another one doesn't so it doesn't get returned

haven't used much mapreduce, spark, or similar things. all this sounds kinda okay but somewhat weird, but otoh the specific vendor in question - https://clickhouse.yandex/ - does have some ad hoc analytics groundwork laid. not sql, but there are rudimentary sql-esque controls

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

otoh looking at their roadmap, it will definitely be a shitshow until q3 17, maybe until q1 18

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

haven't used much mapreduce, spark, or similar things. all this sounds kinda okay but somewhat weird, but otoh the specific vendor in question - https://clickhouse.yandex/ - does have some ad hoc analytics groundwork laid. not sql, but there are rudimentary sql-esque controls

ah so this is more sql-on-hadoop type stuff so apache hive is a better model to compare with; i don't really have any experience with that though :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lancemantis posted:

ah so this is more sql-on-hadoop type stuff so apache hive is a better model to compare with; i don't really have any experience with that though :shrug:

ill read up on hive too then, thanks for pointers

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Ploft-shell crab posted:

what's wrong with spring?

spring has a huge surface that results in a couple CVEs every year or so. given most people are using it just for 1 or aspects, you're carrying around a lot of exploitable baggage for no good reason.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

meatpotato posted:

cmake does seem to work magic but I wish there were better guides / tutorials on how to actually use it effectively for all but the most basic projects.

The docs are pretty good at describing the individual parts of cmake and what the are supposed to do, but they fail (to me, a terrible programmer) at effectively describing the gestalt of cmake, like what's the bigger picture maaaan?

I guess I should check out llvm as an example of a real-life cmake project

you can pretty much do what you want, just whatever you do, don't try to add files by wildcard, explicitly add them to libs/modules/whatever.

then if you need to detect functionality for a framework, write a cmake function and drop it in some directory by itself.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

lancemantis posted:

it kind of turned into a kitchen sink project after a while

i literally named our common lib at work "kitchen-sink" because of just that reason.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

speaking of java and gradle i am super loving lost on how to start with this android app

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

also lol at the previous dev saying there was no way to handle an error condition without crashing on android. this code has zero try-catches in it

extremely lazy or incompitent enough to actually be unaware of try-catch? you decide

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
use kotlin on android

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

im just trying to unfuck a mostly finished app by adding some basic error handling and adding a loading spinner so users at least know if a list is actually empty or the database is choking

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

HoboMan posted:

im just trying to unfuck a mostly finished app

if it's that bad it will probably be quicker to start over

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

use kotlin on android

blood kotlins can be deadly

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Soricidus posted:

if it's that bad it will probably be quicker to start over

the only real bug is it crashes if a network call fails. it's a real important bug, but hopefully fixing it won't take much more than figuring out where to put the try-catches

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

akadajet posted:

blood kotlins can be deadly

it’s a bold strategy, kotlin, let’s see how this works out

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

luigi thirty got me all excited about emulators so i started making my own

can confirm the godlike feelings

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I started writing one for an arcade PCB, got a MIPS CPU emulated, got to the point where the bootrom wrote to the scanout enable register then realized I had a bunch of much more pressing poo poo to be doing :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HoboMan posted:

the only real bug is it crashes if a network call fails. it's a real important bug, but hopefully fixing it won't take much more than figuring out where to put the try-catches

christ lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Van Kraken posted:

luigi thirty got me all excited about emulators so i started making my own

can confirm the godlike feelings

nice!

i'm currently working on polishing my emulator so that I don't have to, say, recompile it to change the emulated system model

Sapozhnik posted:

I started writing one for an arcade PCB, got a MIPS CPU emulated, got to the point where the bootrom wrote to the scanout enable register then realized I had a bunch of much more pressing poo poo to be doing :(

what the hell were you emulating that used a MIPS processor :pwn:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
have you looked at the machine readable spec ARM released recently?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Cruisin’ USA :whatup:

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

quick update on emulator:

in swift, switch/case does not have automatic fallthrough.
in the metal shading language, switch/case DOES have automatic fallthrough.

this explains the last 2 hours of my life.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

nice!

i'm currently working on polishing my emulator so that I don't have to, say, recompile it to change the emulated system model

a bunch of konami games used what was essentially a roided-out playstation 1. i wanted to emulate the variant used in ddr.

it would be worth it just to watch the drat thing boot up at warp speed because the real machines take for loving ever

"oh, bootloader sipping data out of what it thinks are some lovely 1990s EEPROMs and PCMCIA linear flash? hi, i'm a memory-mapped file backed by a modern solid state drive, nice to meet you :supaburn:"

but again, the actual music is hardware-encrypted and afaik nobody's figured out the fpga/cpld/whatever that sits between the cpu and the mp3 decoder chip. and if capcom cps3 is anything to go by then there were a lot of surprisingly competent bored amateur cryptographers working at japanese game companies around the turn of the century.

• Locked thread