Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Walls demand more of your attention, so something that's fine on a floor can be overwhelming on a wall.

Hell, just look around wherever you're at and notice how much of what you see is wall vs floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
My wife and I just recently bought a place, and I would be interested in getting some thoughts on how to resolve three issues.

First, replacing these stupid loving track lights.

We're getting rid of some of them by installing this over our dining table. I think it looks badass--hopefully y'all agree!

But I don't know what to put as lighting in the center of the room.

Second, we have these lovely plastic sliding doors.

I was leaning towards iron/wood doors but would like additional thoughts.

Finally, I want to tear out the floors. They're heart of pine, which is soft enough to not really make sense as a floor material. Plus the previous owners did what could be politely called an "unconventional installation" by simply using concrete screws to secure it against the concrete (no base!!!) That tension has led to some, uh, gapping issues.

I was leaning towards replacing it with different sized pieces of white, grey, and pink marble, like this.

I always thought this looked really cool, and it would make our place less woody since we have mostly wood furniture.

I'd love to get anyone's thoughts on any of the above.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Omerta posted:

My wife and I just recently bought a place, and I would be interested in getting some thoughts on how to resolve three issues.

We're getting rid of some of them by installing this over our dining table. I think it looks badass--hopefully y'all agree!

Finally, I want to tear out the floors. They're heart of pine, which is soft enough to not really make sense as a floor material. Plus the previous owners did what could be politely called an "unconventional installation" by simply using concrete screws to secure it against the concrete (no base!!!) That tension has led to some, uh, gapping issues.

I was leaning towards replacing it with different sized pieces of white, grey, and pink marble, like this.

I always thought this looked really cool, and it would make our place less woody since we have mostly wood furniture.

My gut feeling is that stone walls, concrete ceiling AND marble floors would make your place feel like a museum. The wood floors alleviate that somewhat.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My gut feeling is that stone walls, concrete ceiling AND marble floors would make your place feel like a museum. The wood floors alleviate that somewhat.

Yeah, wood floors are doing a lot to make that not look like an industrial space. I'd recommend a different wooden floor if you're gonna take that out.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Would slate be an option? It would depend on the style of house and where you live really. Marble floor in Venice would look normal, marble floor in a big city would look like an office building.

Edit: actually scrap that, if you really like marble floors, gently caress it get marble floors. You can always do something with the walls either with paint or an art.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 13, 2017

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

surf rock posted:

* I'm going to paint the mantle and the fireplace brick white. I don't really give a poo poo about fireplaces and I'm never going to use it, so I want to minimize its visual prominence in the room.

Am I the only one who thinks that painted-over brick fireplaces look really bad? Like, I get the intent, especially with the new color scheme, which I definitely like, but not only do I think it's going to look terrible, the white paint is going to make it pop so much more than it already does. Yeah, the brick is the wrong color temperature, but in a room full of dark flooring, the big honking white thing in the corner is what'll immediately draw the eye.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Painted fireplaces just look like some kind of fireplace shaped tumor emerged from the wall. Looks a heck of a lot worse imo than having just a regular fireplace.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hide the fireplace behind a tv

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got Flor rug tiles to fit my living room, and I like how they worked out. I have more for the lounge area that I haven't assembled yet, but I should.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Subjunctive posted:

I got Flor rug tiles to fit my living room, and I like how they worked out. I have more for the lounge area that I haven't assembled yet, but I should.

What's the edge of these like? Is it rougher than a regular rug?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

peanut posted:

hide the fireplace behind a tv

That, or more seriously, a tasteful folding screen. If you find one you like, it's a lot less time and effort than painting.

But honestly it's your fireplace, do what you like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheManWithNoName posted:

What's the edge of these like? Is it rougher than a regular rug?

Not really, it's squared off carpet so it's sharper, but I haven't noticed it being rough.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Those plastic walls/sliding doors are not perfect​, but they help sunlight reach the far side of the rooms. Adding vinyl decals would just make it look like a children's hospital, but a thin wood frame could look like glass shoji.
How about covering the bottom half with something woody and leaving the top half windowy?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Proof that money can't buy taste.

Skirting the definitions of mansion and McMansion here

Instead of "table with thing" it has "old-timey wagon with things"

There is no architectural reason for these wooden beams to be this big, right?

Eating place #1 with random-rear end cherubim and a military uniform

Eating places #2, #3 and #4 + a kitchen island suitable for orgies

Eating place #5 + creepy mannequin lamp. Also why are there so many wicker baskets? What do they put in them?

The bedrooms/bathrooms are mostly boring except this one is weirding me out. Something about the blinding white compared to the deep colors of every other room in the house.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

that's an ideal room to imprison a virgin daughter in

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

It even comes with a dramatic cliff for the final act.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

This place is not a place of honor.

No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.

Nothing valued is here.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tricky Ed posted:

This place is not a place of honor.

No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.

Nothing valued is here.

Aug 13 2017: WIPP reference in thread about interior design

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

It even comes with a dramatic cliff for the final act.

Perfect for one of your kids drunk friends to try jumping into the pool from.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youth Decay posted:

Eating places #2, #3 and #4 + a kitchen island suitable for orgies

A lot of the house gives me a kind of Olive Garden feel, but this pic especially.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A lot of the house gives me a kind of Olive Garden feel, but this pic especially.

I think they just did a palate swap on all that Tuscan villa poo poo from the 2000's and are now calling it French Countryside.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

surf rock posted:

I need some advice. I'm closing on a house on Monday and moving in right at the start of September, so I have a few weeks to remodel and prepare. I think the main thing I need advice on is rugs.

Below is a picture of the living room as I stand in the galley kitchen. Please ignore the trash can in the foreground of the photo and the random balls of dog fur; the sellers weren't quite done cleaning up yet when I took this.

Here are some things I'm doing with the room:

* The cherry laminate is being replaced with this dark grey engineered hardwood, which is a little lighter than it looks in the photo.
* The carpet you see back in the hallway is being replaced with this blue/white/grey blend carpet, which is also a little lighter than it looks.
* I like the light blue paint they used and it's only a year old; I've got the paint can from them so I think I'll just clean the walls and do some touch-up where their dogs were able to reach.
* I'm going to paint the mantle and the fireplace brick white. I don't really give a poo poo about fireplaces and I'm never going to use it, so I want to minimize its visual prominence in the room.

I'm going to use the living room for three purposes: entertainment, office, and dining, and I need a rug for each area:

1.) On the far side of the room, I'm going to put an entertainment center against the wall (to the left of the fireplace) and then a coffee table and couch across from it, so I need a big rug that can fit under all three of those. It's a dark wood for both the entertainment center and coffee table, and I'm planning on a light grey couch (maybe this one).
2.) Against the right wall, there's a window (not in the photo, sorry) and I'm going to put my desk up against that. My desk is an oak with a marbled dark grey top. I'm going to need a medium-sized rug for this that has a tight weave that interacts well with an office chair.
3.) To the left of the desk, I'm going to put a four or six-seat rectangular dining table. I don't have that set picked out yet, and I'm open to this being either dark or light wood.

I know the above would be boring for a lot of people, but I like clean lines, a cold color family, and a mixture of dark and light shades with a handful of bright colors (I'm going to use a pretty flashy red as an accent throughout the room, from the window treatments to the throw pillows to some of the decorations).

I have no idea where to start with rugs or what to be looking for. I would certainly appreciate specific suggestions given the above, but if people have any general advice about rug-buying I would really appreciate that, too. Thank you!

I implore you, do not paint a brick fireplace and render it un-loving-fixable for future owners as well as a fire hazard.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's pretty inoffensive as far as brick goes, and white is just going to make it stand out more. Are those brick stains any good?

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
We painted the fireplace when we moved into our house that was originally built in the 50's. It was super dark brown, and took up almost a whole wall in our living room. I think it looks great now. :colbert:

We followed this project: https://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/other-areas/modern-fireplace-makeover/project

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, any other advice about what to do with the fireplace? I'm 100% never going to use it, what can I do to make it less conspicuous that won't cost thousands of dollars? I'm completely willing to do something else with it; I just don't know what.

I have no idea how to judge the quality of a brick stain.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You could go the opposite direction and color the rest of the room so the fireplace blends in. :v:

Or you could just leave it, since it won't stick out as much as you think once you have furniture and stuff in the room.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
A friend from high school started a company doing, I guess, reclaimed wood projects. I don't know how to feel.... Some looks great and some is unbelievably awful looking.

Yes this is wrapping some guys.... attic? With pallet wood. Idgi.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
For when indoor An Arts just aren't enough.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'd advise against buying things like rugs until you get a feel for the space. You might want to get different furniture after a few months. Also because that door leads to outside you might regret that big rug if your backyard gets muddy when it rains.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

On the other hand big cheap rugs are great for throwing colours into a space to greet a feel for how they work, and so easily replaced if they're just not working.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Omerta posted:

I have a similar looking place with (concrete ceiling and all), and a wood floor really helps balance it out. I just threw some rugs over the floor. I have wood / leather furniture as well.

I'd use a giant wire hanging light fixture with smaller lights. Something light looking to balance out the concrete.

E: I'd do wood sliding doors, but maybe the kind that fix to the top and float just above the floor. If they float, you've got no seam in the floor which gives you continuity.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 14, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

surf rock posted:

OK, any other advice about what to do with the fireplace? I'm 100% never going to use it, what can I do to make it less conspicuous that won't cost thousands of dollars? I'm completely willing to do something else with it; I just don't know what.

I have no idea how to judge the quality of a brick stain.

Just hang a curtain over it. Maybe one of these curtains.

After a few months of looking at fake barn doors you'll be happy to just have a normal fireplace instead.

On a more serious note, just ignore it. You aren't freaked out about hiding those ugly vents in the wall on the left side of the picture, right? It's just part of the structure of the house. There is a nearly 100% chance that anything you try to do to make it look less like a big rear end brick fireplace is going to be an ugly embarrassment in 10 or 20 years, while the natural brick will be merely 'meh' that whole time.

Put some knick knacks on the mantle. Put a dog bed or some cushions, or a decorative basket of fake flowers or whatever on the hearth. Bam, done! Put in the rest of your furniture and stuff and it probably won't stick out nearly as much as you think it will. Live with it for a year or two, then re-evaluate. The option to paint it or have it torn down and plastered over or whatever will remain. You don't lose anything by waiting.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Paint the mantle and stick a firescreen that fits your decor better in front of it if the hole in the wall is distracting. Brick is neutral enough that you can dress it up with a couple elements and it will effectively cease to exist as far as your perceptions go in a couple weeks.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thank you for the ideas! I'll go ahead and leave the brick alone, but I do like the idea of still painting the mantle as LC suggested. Would white work for that? It's way less surface area and then it would match the trim of the room. It also lets me get rid of that oak.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

thinking of u thread
(indoor sandbox in an indoor playground in a mall)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 15, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Liquid Communism posted:

Paint the mantle and stick a firescreen that fits your decor better in front of it if the hole in the wall is distracting. Brick is neutral enough that you can dress it up with a couple elements and it will effectively cease to exist as far as your perceptions go in a couple weeks.

Ah I thought of something, which sometimes happens. Use an actual screen. Chinese, Japanese and European antique screens are all an option depending on the style of house. With them being taller they can cover the brickwork as well.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the repost, but I would appreciate some thoughts from someone with taste, i.e., "who isn't me."

There's a space in front of a set of windows that basically begs for something to fill it, but I'm not sure where to go. My phone insisted on only the blurriest of pictures, but here's the space in question:

For reference, here's the other side of the room (yeah, I know, there's poo poo piled up on the table and the side window, I was doing some tidying elsewhere and I have to make folders to file all that paperwork):

The window sills are, of course, just under thirty inches at 29.5" -- this is more of a limiting factor than one might suspect. I was looking at some short sofa tables (28" to 29" tall, in the 1.5' x 4.5' footprint range) but was also thinking that something like a longer low media console might work there and provide a bit more storage as well. But having nothing there throws off the balance of the room.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

serious answer: some low shelves at perfect sitting height, filled with picture books and photo albums
you could also make them hinge-top deep storage for less used things like fancy christmas napkin rings and emergency candles.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If you search for sideboards and/or buffet tables you should be able to find something, though if the outlet being blocked would be a dealbreaker, that makes it a little harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

For reference, here's the other side of the room (yeah, I know, there's poo poo piled up on the table and the side window, I was doing some tidying elsewhere and I have to make folders to file all that paperwork):

Why not leave it as is, but move the rug and table to center them in the current floor space? The walking paths would be better and nobody would be crammed up against the sideboard when they sat on that side of the table.