Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

does it literally dispense diplomas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
the ACLU defending BDS activists was a false flag attack to distract liberals from all of their nazi gold

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway, tell me of times where the ACLU couldn't be bothered to defend the first amendment rights of leftists. Like, actual events where that happened.

This is a serious request, not me trying to prove some kind of point.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nazis need to be able to speak freely, so every time they do a "lone wolf" terrorist attack, they can say it was just a communist false flag.

The ACLU didn't take the case to defend the terrorist who drove their car into a crowd as free speech so frankly this argument is full of poo poo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

so he's getting off? serious question. i figure he can't be tried if he can't be represented?

no he's just getting new legal representation so should he choose

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
he didnt wish to create joinder and now hes free

very sad imo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
a parade permit from the city council is not legal precedent

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Legal precidence defines this country, it sure is good thing a fascist isnt in position to appoint judges who would be willing to ignore that!

:whitewater:

FCKGW posted:

thats not how the courts work lol

ok understood, he's just kinda hosed over

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nonsense posted:

the cops are protecting them fam

From unlawful violence against them, yeah.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nonsense posted:

so he's getting off? serious question. i figure he can't be tried if he can't be represented?

pretty sure it means he'll be held until a lawyer is either hired or assigned, with the time spent in jail counted as time served.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

oh an aclu derail cool

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if a public defender can't take a case and no private attorney is secured by the defendant i'm pretty sure the state is obligated to retain somebody for them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

quote:

One scene that has been markedly successful in capturing the attention of the journalistic world is the one that developed from the pay-to-post forum Something Awful. Originally a humor site, it became one of the most influential sites on the internet — you probably know that 4chan was created by a Something Awful regular, and that its initial userbase drew heavily from SA. Its influence on politics, however, extends far beyond 4chan. Buckle up, folks: you’re in for a long, confusing, and terrible ride.

In the essay “Exiting the Vampire Castle,” Mark Fisher, who was roundly condemned for writing it and killed himself three years later, attacked not only the identitarianism that has metastasized in academia since the ’60s, an identitarianism in which “the sheer mention of class is now automatically treated as if that means one is trying to downgrade the importance of race and gender,” but also the “paralysing feeling of guilt and suspicion which hangs over left-wing twitter like an acrid, stifling fog” and the “kangaroo courts and character assassinations” that are, as anyone who has observed the state of the left today, overwhelmingly common. This guilt and suspicion, these kangaroo courts and character assassinations, need not have anything to do with politics; in one memorable instance, a once-popular Tumblr communist blogger with the sadly real URL of “fuckyeahmarxismleninism” was dogpiled and laughed into irrelevance for admitting to watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic with his daughters. This was seen as a far worse faux pas than even his support of North Korea. I am, unfortunately, not making this up; I saw it all happen firsthand.

These aren’t the kangaroo courts of Stalin. What they are is the schoolyard courts of Helldump, a Something Awful subforum created for the strange purpose of being a schoolyard court. The Something Awful wiki speaks for itself here: “The official birth of Helldump 2000 spawned a new creative outlet for pedophiles, racists, bigots, Ron Paul supporters, gun zealots, defenders of anime and otherwise crap posters to be outed in a thorough, convincing manner by an astute civilian task force. Essentially, it checks and balances the stupidity that seeps its way into the forums as a whole, although (unfortunately) it does not function as a preventive treatment (poo poo posters still propagate at an alarming rate). Rather, the modus operandi of Helldump is to profile and insult the (assumed) poor goon for his questionable views, and in turn function as a virtual tourniquet in an attempt to stop the bleeding, as well as force said poo poo poster into online anonymity and/or reclusiveness.” In practice, most of what Helldump did was dogpile furries.

quote:

Providing a precise accounting of the impact of Something Awful on the Anglosphere left is difficult, as it would be with any subculture. The history is oral, largely lost, deliberately obfuscated, and shrouded in irony. It is likely that nothing will come of it, and that, in the end, it will be the farce mirroring the tragedy of neoconservatism: an insane political movement that developed out of a bizarre and insular clique in a world where having the right connections matters above all else, writing things that very few people care about but doing a great deal of damage along the way. It seems that the norms of Helldump have become callout culture, SA users’ trolling of the libertarians corralled in LF have become the dirtbag left, and some of those responsible have written for not only Gawker and Buzzfeed, but also The New York Times.

At the very least, the overlap in population is clear and suggestive. Someone can go from being repeatedly banned from a pay-to-post forum for something involving the word “friend of the family” to writing for the Guardian, the Atlantic and the New York Times, largely on the dubious strength of his Twitter account and forum fame. There are few lessons that can be drawn from this; the obvious one is that perhaps the media rewards expertise less than connectedness.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Tell that to the girl who died. Its gonna happen again, prob in Sept, with them killing somebody else. Why facilitate that? It's an obsession with abstraction trumping real people's lives.

Yeah the ACLU needs to stop saying the Dodge Charger guy did nothing wrong. It's reprehensible.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Can't understand what she's getting at here. Do you have some kind of picture, maybe in some kind of graphical interchange format, expressing her sentiment?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

brugroffil posted:

yeah the ACLU hot takes yesterday were pretty awful in this thread

I'll own up to dishing out some of them but gd it's infuriating someone actually act on the Nazis completely disingenuous claims of "b-b-but free speech! :qq:"

as someone pointed out though, courts very much look at precedence without nuance, so

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

docbeard posted:

Anyway, tell me of times where the ACLU couldn't be bothered to defend the first amendment rights of leftists. Like, actual events where that happened.

This is a serious request, not me trying to prove some kind of point.

for real, like, they've done good work. lol there's no need to be hypothetical about the idea that law will only ever work for the right, law works for the left too, sometimes, in reality

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Donkwich posted:

he didnt wish to create joinder and now hes free

very sad imo

The court forgot to hide its gold-fringed flag so, sadly, the rules of Naval Law were in effect.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nazis need to be able to speak freely, so every time they do a "lone wolf" terrorist attack, they can say it was just a communist false flag.

please go back to suck posting in the suck thread, tia

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

From unlawful violence against them, yeah.

sure, but there is something wrong about the events leading up to the police backing away, and we will probably never be privy to it.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

as someone pointed out though, courts very much look at precedence without nuance, so

no the courts are CONTROLELD BY THE RIGHT WING and will brush it under the rug dont 8u understand

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jazerus posted:

if a public defender can't take a case and no private attorney is secured by the defendant i'm pretty sure the state is obligated to retain somebody for them

yeah they just get one from a nearby county or city jurisdiction

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

Someone can go from being repeatedly banned from a pay-to-post forum for something involving the word “friend of the family” to writing for the Guardian, the Atlantic and the New York Times, largely on the dubious strength of his Twitter account and forum fame.

baloogan writes for the times???

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/897154618446168067

you know howie hates germs as much as trump

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Nonsense posted:

that's why murdering public defenders is a sport

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

baw posted:

i was scrolling through the feed of the guy who tried to say that the driver was a democrat and found this

is it true?!

https://twitter.com/SpicyScrump/status/896865341384663040

Lowtax is best buds with DEREK SMART on Twitter.

So it's definitely true he has made some questionable decisions with respect to mods in the past.

(none of the fine upstanding mods in this thread though)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jazerus posted:

baloogan writes for the times???

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Jazerus posted:

that's what happened

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

They can't, the Nazi killed a relative of a public defender's employee.

(Also, public defender systems are massively underfunded and understaffed in states nationwide, and part of the ACLU's mission has been to fix this).

You can't decide a crime is so heinous the person who committed it, guilty or not, no longer is entitled to their rights in our justice system. That's real important.

you can believe he has the right to a fair trial and still think it's absurd the ACLU's extreme libertarian view of free speech includes hate groups like white supremacists despite having countless examples of civil societies where lines are drawn there and nothing bad is happening.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

Salt Fish posted:

The ACLU didn't take the case to defend the terrorist who drove their car into a crowd as free speech so frankly this argument is full of poo poo.

No, they just acted in favor of creating conditions where Nazis could assault people in the name of "free speech."

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

goatse with the dixie flag in the b hole.

new edition of clue is lit

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

So why did the fascist have to be the case setting precedent instead of a different one? Are rights only available if we first guarantee them to sociopaths? Or did we just get lucky this time and next time there might not be a good payoff for protecting the rights of fascists?

The greatest test of civil liberties is when they're given to the people you disagree with the most.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
this thread has gold fringe on the edges and which means it is an admiralty court and FAU has no power here

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Tell that to the girl who died. Its gonna happen again, prob in Sept, with them killing somebody else. Why facilitate that? It's an obsession with abstraction trumping real people's lives.

lmao this is the most self-defeating and short-sighted reasoning ever- this exact line of reasoning would be happily used to shut down leftist protests/picket lines/etc. with abandon

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

you absolute stupid motherfucker

yeah i read their webzone because i wanted to be more specific than "i'm sure the precedent set by the aclu vastly outweighs any one bad--or even collection thereof--case you can point at"

you wanna xpound on that i mean yes im dumb i accept it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

I'll own up to dishing out some of them but gd it's infuriating someone actually act on the Nazis completely disingenuous claims of "b-b-but free speech! :qq:"

Yeah this country has a uniquely high free speech standard and I think that's a pretty good thing. Some of the absolutionists annoy me sometimes (like Popehat), but on the whole I think it's better to lean that way than to oppressing speech because then who chooses the censors?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, they just acted in favor of creating conditions where Nazis could assault people in the name of "free speech."

Nope, assault is still illegal and the ACLU doesn't defend it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Epic High Five posted:

does it literally dispense diplomas

That's almost exactly the way Sebastian Gorka got his doctorate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

"he's like jimmy da greek, too old to know how racist he was bein'"

• Locked thread