Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hooplah posted:

I haven't done any bush-hiding since I started playing 1pp. Is it even possible to stay concealed while getting a view of your surroundings? I'm always convinced some part of me is sticking out when I cant spin my camera around to check

I have used Bush hiding to a couple wins now in fpp. If you make it so that you are just barely peaking out you can stay quite hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Bush Hiding is weak compared to its superior cousin Crouching In A Ditch

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Crouching in a ditch doesn't work at all in fpp

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Neither does bush hiding

I dunno I'm reaching I don't really do either. I have more fun moving around and killing people. It feels weird to be in one place for more than a minute or two

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

It's almost like there are different ways to play and win each round

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I like how you're blaming him for your own inability to grasp a simple concept. Hes such a goon for not explaining how stupid I am! ugh

Sorry. I haven't had any experience with gambling addicts, I've admitted I was wrong once I was shown by posters who aren't smuggo goons that I was wrong instead of "heh ur dumb" shitposts.

Game is still good, sorry for the derails guys.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Crouching in a ditch doesn't work at all in fpp

it depends on if you have any surrounding hills. i have had great success using ditches to hide. the key is to use the grass so that just the tip of your head is peeking out. like using the tip top of your screen to spot people. you really want to be spotting people through the grass but that is a pretty tough skill and requires a good eye.

the great thing about 1pp is that since everyone is low to the ground, the little dips and trenches actually become great cover. they are much more effective when no one has a camera floating in the air 10 feet above them.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

tehinternet posted:

"heh ur dumb" shitposts.

poo poo in, poo poo out

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Condensed my first solo FPP win into 90 seconds; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdMDvTtzAjY

One kill early, and the other 5 late, middle was boring. I did notice that everyone except the first person I killed wasn't actually looking at me- something I complain about a lot (getting shot in the back without seeing enemy), however, in FPP that's considered tactics I guess. It's not like I tried to not find people, I really did run around like an idiot until after it was top 10, which is when you'll see me in the building. There was a sniper battle between me and my 4th kill, he merked me with an AWM, but it was so boring I had to cut it out. I got two crates, side by side, but only took the meds from them. Really didn't see a need with ~10ish people left to get a groza or m24, just needed the meds (of which I had none!).

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

You sure got that window log my man :D

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ChesterJT posted:

poo poo in, poo poo out

Indeed.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Snapes N Snapes posted:

You sure got that window log my man :D

Whats the window log? That wooden thing blocking my shots?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel like the games where i get the worst loot starts i do the best (top 10s) and the games where i get insane loot i do terribly (one game i got two supply drops, had tommy gun and awp and got zero kills lmao).

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Whenever I get really good poo poo I'm more careful, but those games where I just have an uzi and a S686 I play like a crazy person and am way more aggressive. The more aggressively I play the better I do, I just need to learn to apply that in all circumstances.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Apprentice Dick posted:

Whenever I get really good poo poo I'm more careful, but those games where I just have an uzi and a S686 I play like a crazy person and am way more aggressive. The more aggressively I play the better I do, I just need to learn to apply that in all circumstances.

Well, having a silenced Kar98 is good and all but you're not going to clear buildings as effectively as a S686 and uzi load would.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I agree, and it's even gotten to the point where if we/I come out of a place with killer gear and no contest I get worried about dying at #75... If I can't find poo poo at all and I'm rocking a double-barrel and a k98 with ZERO scopes, I know I'm well on my way...

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My best solo games never have me with a rifle, and almost always an Uzi or UMP, preferably suppressed. As fun as it is to have a 4x or better scope and pop heads, it's even more thrilling to run and gun, storm buildings, etc.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Cindy Shitbird posted:

My best solo games never have me with a rifle, and almost always an Uzi or UMP, preferably suppressed. As fun as it is to have a 4x or better scope and pop heads, it's even more thrilling to run and gun, storm buildings, etc.

I honestly think a kitted out sks shotgun with an ar of some sort is a great load out. You get some range with the shotgun, and also rapid fire. It's good for the last few circles, and for clearing buildings as the circle gets smaller.

Most people don't have a shotgun at the end, so you can win those building fights if they happen.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Hamelekim posted:

Most people don't have a shotgun at the end, so you can win those building fights if they happen.

Ignoring/Forgetting that I was playing the inferior lovely camping rear end loving stupid rear end third person "I can see around corners" bullshit the shotgun in end game is pretty good!

https://clips.twitch.tv/InexpensiveMotionlessWrenchYouWHY?tt_medium=clips_embed&tt_content=player_title

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I don't really get why people loot more than a stack of ammo (sans m249) & ignore grenades, especially frags.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Tonetta posted:

I don't really get why people loot more than a stack of ammo (sans m249) & ignore grenades, especially frags.

Won an easy fpp duo earlier today where everyone but me and my mate were spread out prone and terrified in the tall grass of the last tiny circle, so we just threw random HE's in towards the middle and scored a risk-free and effortless kill each

Always pick up HE grenades, always throw HE grenades

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tonetta posted:

if you've got a silencer and a nice hill it's really easy to pop off 100 rounds and get a few kills. And if you're in a team it's good to grab it for your teammates in case they need some. Ammo is good, always grab it if you have room for it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i need all the ammo i can carry because my aim is bad

also won my first game through random luck in my first handful of times playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lnACms2KA4

haven't won since because it's more fun to shoot many bullets and crash many dacias but also because i'm bad at this game :ssh:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm becoming less and less infatuated with AR and especially SR silencers, I've gotten good enough at zeroing in where the suppressed shots are coming from myself, especially for the latter, that I assume others are becoming equally aware unless they're playing with speakers

I'll still pop on a silencer over a compensator in solo games I guess, especially early game, but for duos and squads people are gonna get wise on your position after just a few shots anyway that I'd rather increase my chances of them being rapid, killing shots rather than trying and failing to roleplay splinter cell

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Sniper suppressors can be heard from such a long range that they rarely do much beyond making your shots sound AWESOME. ARs get a bit more use, though you can still hear them from ~350m away. They mostly keep more squads from rolling up on you while you're fighting someone else. I feel like the UMP is one of the few weapons where it does a significant amount, as you can't hear it past 80-100m, similar to the VSS.

Overall though what you're noticing is accurate, the better you become(and the people you're facing) the less the suppressors actually do.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Cinara posted:

Sniper suppressors can be heard from such a long range that they rarely do much beyond making your shots sound AWESOME. ARs get a bit more use, though you can still hear them from ~350m away. They mostly keep more squads from rolling up on you while you're fighting someone else. I feel like the UMP is one of the few weapons where it does a significant amount, as you can't hear it past 80-100m, similar to the VSS.

Overall though what you're noticing is accurate, the better you become(and the people you're facing) the less the suppressors actually do.

The streamers are in love with the m16 silenced. it's the most difficult ar to pinpoint apparently.

I'll take anything that gives me even a potential advantage, unless it's a 1v1 or 1v2 and they know where I am I will go with the silencer. Otherwise any other attachment is better.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Alright, i guess using my thumb for both crouch and jump did work, so thanks to the goon who suggested that.

Something weird just happened a minute ago though, i was jumping to rozhok and all of the buildings were invisible, like wtf, i could sorta walk through them too. And i could see all the loot in all the buildings but couldn't equip them. Is this a common bug?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mister Fister posted:

Alright, i guess using my thumb for both crouch and jump did work, so thanks to the goon who suggested that.

Something weird just happened a minute ago though, i was jumping to rozhok and all of the buildings were invisible, like wtf, i could sorta walk through them too. And i could see all the loot in all the buildings but couldn't equip them. Is this a common bug?

Yeah this routinely happens to some of the people I play with

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Thief posted:

i need all the ammo i can carry because my aim is bad

also won my first game through random luck in my first handful of times playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lnACms2KA4

haven't won since because it's more fun to shoot many bullets and crash many dacias but also because i'm bad at this game :ssh:

hahah why was that guy prone in a house!? Drop shot not for the win... If I can offer some unsolicited advice- when that last dude first appeared through the smoke if you would've sprayed that SCAR you would've finished him asap. Also at the end you don't need your backpack as much, didn't matter here 'cause you had the hill, but in flat lands sometimes you wanna drop that thing while proning out in grass. Well played though, feels good man! Congrats on the win.

I've had the no-buildings glitch too... its bogus cause you can see everyone and all the loot... I died and could ghost everything while spectating my teammate.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shima Honnou posted:

I've been killed for right-click hipfiring at the distance of across a living room with the 416 before. Always aim.

I got the drop on a guy picking up a UMP at substation last night. He was maybe 10 feet away but I didn't ADS and he killed me. I called it a night at that point because you can't come back from being that bad.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like all my fpp games lately have gone down to 35-40 players by the time the second circle revealed. Is that normal?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
so the cliffs on the south east side of the military island can't be climbed. another lovely end to another lovely game

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

On a related note, the one (and only, really) thing the VSS does well is that it's genuinely almost impossible to hear more than a few meters away. Most of the time a suppressed weapon is pretty easy to locate, but I actually pick up VSSes when I find them and they almost always send people into a blind dive for cover from the wrong direction when I shoot anything more than 50m away.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

aniviron posted:

On a related note, the one (and only, really) thing the VSS does well is that it's genuinely almost impossible to hear more than a few meters away. Most of the time a suppressed weapon is pretty easy to locate, but I actually pick up VSSes when I find them and they almost always send people into a blind dive for cover from the wrong direction when I shoot anything more than 50m away.

The VSS is my favorite weapon. I'm not any good with it, I just like it's uniqueness. It has been the source of my 2 favorite fights.
The best was me and a friend went to loot opposite sides of the quarry and there were two people in the bottom. I killed one while he was desperately hiding from my friend that was shooting unsilenced. Then he crawled into the bottom to what they thought was a safe spot, and I killed his friend while he was reviving him. It took me at least 20 shots because of the distance, but they never figured out where I was and assumed I was where my friend was shooting from.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Banano posted:

so the cliffs on the south east side of the military island can't be climbed. another lovely end to another lovely game

learn your cliff routes or get really pissed off when you die late game. A good clue is green moss sometimes means you can get up! I know more areas that I can't get up than I can :/

Be careful of invisible rock holes that you'll "fall" in forever without being able to jump out

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The invisible building bug is annoying af and I hope they get it fixed soon. It's also insane that you can still shoot people inside buildings if buildings don't render for you.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

RizieN posted:

when that last dude first appeared through the smoke if you would've sprayed that SCAR you would've finished him asap.

yeah since that game i have mostly just been dropping into the school and military base with friends to have quick shootouts so i'm getting a better feel for when to actually open up on people rather than be overly conservative

like squad, the gunplay and combat in this game are cool for what it is but i've actually been having more fun with the mic - esepcially when playing on servers where people speak languages i can't understand but trying to work with them as a team

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Is there a best setting to prevent having to wait for buildings to load when a match starts?

(Other than buy an SSD)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

nachos posted:

I feel like all my fpp games lately have gone down to 35-40 players by the time the second circle revealed. Is that normal?

There's no stat tracking in FPP so a lot more people are dropping military / school for some action. Actually drives me crazy sometimes because you can't find anyone mid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

cougar cub posted:

Is there a best setting to prevent having to wait for buildings to load when a match starts?

(Other than buy an SSD)

Why would you not have an SSD in 2017??

• Locked thread