Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The expanse is good at has FedEx Shipping containers turned into assault shuttles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Expanse is good but it doesn't have Tim Curry's ghost trying to inject his frozen sperm into the main character's balls. Unless I missed an episode.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I thought firefly was about insane rape psychos that kill, gently caress and eat anyone and everything they find?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

Here's the thing m'goons...... First things first: Firefly is one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time.

lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

Here's the thing m'goons...... First things first: Firefly is one of the greatest sci-fi shows of all time. The closest thing to Star Wars since 1983, and arguably the best thing Joss Whedon has ever made, it's the holy grail of space-western comedy-dramas. In the 12 years since it was canned, the short-lived series has become a cult phenomenon for good reason. In 2007, the box set was even rocketed up to the International Space Station's intergalactic DVD library (which, to be fair, also includes 50 First Dates and G.I. Jane) – a fact which gave the fans little comfort as the years slipped by without any hope of a comeback.

It might still be thought of as the greatest tragedy to rock the sci-fi world since Jar Jar Binks, but somewhere in a dark alternate reality, Firefly never got cancelled and everyone's lives are much more miserable.

For one thing, we wouldn't have Serenity. Designed to wrap up the story in two hours instead of 20, Whedon convinced Universal to buy the rights from Fox and turn whatever was left of his show into a cut-price feature film. Proving that sci-fi didn't always need Bruckheimer-breaking budgets to tell a decent story (or turn a decent profit), Serenity came out in the same summer as Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith and ended up winning a lot more fans.......

Source your quotes
Holy Grail of space Western comedy dramas
lmao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wicker Man posted:

I thought firefly was about insane rape psychos that kill, gently caress and eat anyone and everything they find?

Only the movie was about that

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just lol if you don't recognize that Sean Connery's Outland is the greatest space western of our time.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
the greatest space western is american astronaut

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I thought Firefly was OK

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dylan McKay posted:

the greatest space western is american astronaut

No it's Space Cowboys starring Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland, James Garner and James Cromwell and Marcia Gay Harden.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

I thought Firefly was OK
As I've gotten older, my feelings about Firefly shifted from "this is amazing" to "it's OK, and fun" as I became more familiar with Whedon. Also, I can't respect him after Dollhouse. That was just miserable on so many levels.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Everything Whedon has ever done was bad except for Cabin in th Woods which he co-wrote.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Everything Whedon has ever done was bad except for Cabin in th Woods which he co-wrote.

Whedon wrote the screenplays for Toy Story and Titan AE

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I want whedon's big nerd dick crammed in my rear end in a top hat while he whispers quips into my ear dressed up like captain america

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a bone to pick posted:

I want whedon's big nerd dick crammed in my rear end in a top hat while he whispers quips into my ear dressed up like captain america

which costume??? u know which one, we all know which one, but say it say itttttttt

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

No, Buffy and Angel both have amazing episodes, and the bulk of his work is definitely good, overall.

Whedon power rankings:

1. Dr Horrible
2. Firefly (only like 1 bad episode, the one with the hookers)
3. Buffy (only like 1 or 2 bad seasons, mostly great)
4. Angel (more hit or miss, but the hits are amazing, like the puppet episode)
5. Avengers 1
6. Dollhouse (mostly misses, but the Epitaph 1/2 eps were great)
7. Avengers 2

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Dr. Whoreable's Sling a Long Dong

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine if there was a live-action Outlaw Star but there were no spaceship fights, the characters were boring, the plot wasn't good, and there was a weird pro-confederacy vibe to the whole thing.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

which costume??? u know which one, we all know which one, but say it say itttttttt

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Much like early Kevin Smith, Joss Whedon is really great when you're just getting into programmes for grownups and all you've seen to that point is According to Jim and JAG reruns.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blind Sally posted:

Whedon wrote the screenplays for Toy Story and Titan AE

wasn't the toy story script he wrote the one they abandoned because it was horrible and depressing and all the characters were assholes, and it almost doomed the company

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Is FireFly the show with a Muppet as a major character and crew member?

I watched about half an episode before I said gently caress that muppet and this stupid show. If its not that show I apologize... but if it isnt that show it's the other one with time travelers from earth or something and one of the dudes is a han solo knockoff or something... I dont know... I just remember hating 2 scifi shows that everyone else loved.

Ive tried to watch them a couple of times and they still do nothing for me.

I am aware that Yoda exists as a muppet, but star wars was cool enough to overcome this.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That's Farscape you goddamned idiot.

Firefly was all humans.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Is FireFly the show with a Muppet as a major character and crew member?

that's Cousin Skeeter you dumbass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZWu7ykr7W8

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

man ive had the dr horrible dvd sitting on a shelf still shrink wrapped maybe ill have to bust it out

WampaLord posted:

No, Buffy and Angel both have amazing episodes, and the bulk of his work is definitely good, overall.

Whedon power rankings:

1. Dr Horrible
5. Avengers 1
7. Avengers 2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No that's Farscape which has a number of ex Mad Max actors on the show.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

I'm Barry Bostwick's rainbow skirt.

This gentleman was the most feared and adept terrorist in the ENTIRE Lexx universe.
Lexx also had robot carrots that went up your arse.
Lexx ruled.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

violentlycitrus posted:

man ive had the dr horrible dvd sitting on a shelf still shrink wrapped maybe ill have to bust it out

It owns super hard. It's more amazing when you realize it was just done as a lark during the Writer's Strike.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I need to rewatch Lexx some day. Also the RLM needs to be notified about Lexx and how much it rules, and how much they need to watch it.

Jay would probably love the episode where Kai goes nuts right as a space shuttle full of horny teens docks with the Lexx, then it straight-up turns into a slasher movie parody with Kai going around killing teenagers and making really bad Freddy Krueger puns.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

wasn't the toy story script he wrote the one they abandoned because it was horrible and depressing and all the characters were assholes, and it almost doomed the company

yes. they later went on to rework the script and use it in Alien: Resurrection

(otherway around. apparently the script was a piece of poo poo and Whedon was brought on to fix it)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

Whedon power rankings:

1. Dr Horrible
5. Avengers 1
7. Avengers 2

All these things are really bad. I tried to rewatch 'the best of' Buffy a couple of years ago, and could barely make it through one episode. I wish I watched something else as a child.

The episode was about gay werewolves or some poo poo.

Cabin in the Woods is good, though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paladinus posted:

All these things are really bad. I tried to rewatch 'the best of' Buffy a couple of years ago, and could barely make it through one episode. I wish I watched something else as a child.

Hmmm...*clicks ? under username*

Paladinus posted:

Hello.

I think prequels are not that bad.

Hmmmmmmmm...

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Joss Whedon is happy his mother is dead

https://twitter.com/joss/status/863780776701284352

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joss Whedon is bad at characters and dialogue

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Buffy is as good as Prequels.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I guess Joss Whedon is not that sensitive after all.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hell, I'm glad his mother's dead, too. Artists need suffering to create.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Joss Whedon is bad at characters and dialogue

but those quips are so clever

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Whedon's Wonder woman script consisted of horrible sexism lol

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/joss-whedon-wonder-woman-sexist-screenplay/?fb=dd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, first drafts always suck. And usually you just write down whatever comes to your mind first, and someone will read it and go "Yo this is super sexist and bad"

and then you fix it.

• Locked thread