Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
How much is Sonic gonna be? $30 or $40?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

How much is Sonic gonna be? $30 or $40?

:20bux:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
:woop:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So this is a brand new Sonic game made by the modders of some fan project? Is there anything else to it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s Sonic on the perfect gaming platform; The Nintendo Switch.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Beastie posted:

So this is a brand new Sonic game made by the modders of some fan project? Is there anything else to it?

Whitehead also did the modern port of Sonic CD.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Beastie posted:

It's the Sonic 4 that Sonic 4 failed to be

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Still has Sonic's utterly dogshit jumping and running acceleration physics though, which is why the entire franchise is a failure.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Still has Sonic's utterly dogshit jumping and running acceleration physics though, which is why the entire franchise is a failure.

Yeah, no one fondly remembers Sonic the Hedgehog games from the 90's, no sir.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Facetious posted:

Holy poo poo, someone else who agrees with me about this. I love the design and look of Sonic games, and when you're speeding through a level they can even be fun, but as soon as I hit one hazard or enemy I'm instantly reminded why I don't like the franchise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, no one fondly remembers Sonic the Hedgehog games from the 90's, no sir.

No one sane

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, I was a Nintendo console warrior on the recess field and I'm still a dumb fanboy today, but it's a bit odd to just up and call the Sonic franchise a failure when it is demonstrably popular, even of only with the insane and terminally uncool.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JackDarko posted:

Is Overcooked on the Nintendo Switch good now? Me and my girlfriend want to play it, but I don't want to buy the game if it's basically unplayable.

Let me know how the performance is if you get this. I've got a couple of birthday parties going on this weekend and was thinking about picking it up, then saw some concerning reviews about the FPS online but can't tell if they're bellyaching (about something that really shouldn't be happening; lazy ports make me sad) or if it's legitimately disruptive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVZPu_JM6I

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Holy poo poo, someone else who agrees with me about this. I love the design and look of Sonic games, and when you're speeding through a level they can even be fun, but as soon as I hit one hazard or enemy I'm instantly reminded why I don't like the franchise.

So don't hit enemies or hazards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hammer Bro. posted:

Let me know how the performance is if you get this. I've got a couple of birthday parties going on this weekend and was thinking about picking it up, then saw some concerning reviews about the FPS online but can't tell if they're bellyaching (about something that really shouldn't be happening; lazy ports make me sad) or if it's legitimately disruptive.

Careful if you stop cooking you'll get social permadeath

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

rogue wave posted:

This is absolutely what is going on. The people who are complaining the most about the controllers are rolling on the d-pad instead of precisely pressing the buttons (while complaining about precision, mind you).
Every Nintendo pad since the NES doesn't work this way the Pro controller has a problem, least the initial batches.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Every few years the internet tricks me into trying a Sonic game and this is always true.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a lot of potential Polygon writers itt

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

lelandjs posted:

you gotta jump

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This is what keeps happening to me in blaster master for example. I am not touching Up at all and yet you can see how the game is responding.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

As wrong about Sonic as you are wrong about Inifinite Warfare. smdh Macy’s, what has Canada done to you???

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

LethalGeek posted:

This is what keeps happening to me in blaster master for example. I am not touching Up at all and yet you can see how the game is responding.

this is why the pro controller is dogshit

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

whaley posted:

you gotta jump

But the jumping is terrible and imprecise, which is what I hate about the games.

[Edit: I get that nostalgia is a thing but if you sit back and try to critically evaluate beloved games from the past like the original Sonic games, Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, and even Super Mario 64 I think you'll find that, while they were considered the best games ever when they were released, there are in fact significant issues with them. Sonic was notable because it was a non-Nintendo major mascot platformer that did something new (GO FAST!) but controls imperfectly--not great in a platformer. Goldeneye offered honest-to-goodness couch multiplayer FPS gameplay, but the controls were garbage and the weapons and characters were drastically unbalanced. Finally, B-K and SM64 were among the first 3D platformers, but a lot of the gameplay (or all, in B-K's case) was simply jumping around the levels looking for things (a chore, despite how unique and new the environments were). Now, with a little bit of tweaking and updating, their formula can be good (Odyssey looks promising) but when they're simply remade with a modern engine (Crash Bandicoot, Yuka-Laylee) the faults really start to show, and that's apparently the case with Sonic Mania.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 14, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone know for sure when sonic Mania unlocks for the US on Switch?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Never really been a fan of how Sonic games played. They always look and sound fantastic but I've never had fun playing them.

I'll skip it and instead continue to bring MK8 to my next rooftop party.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sonic Mania reviews are out. Mostly very positive, a few 70s, and a 60 from Slant Magazine that gives nearly everything a 60 or below. So maybe a 60 from them is good? Who cares.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The reviews are definitely promising, it's already looking like it's probably the best Sonic game in well over a decade.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

When did you buy yours? I'm wondering if later runs fixed this problem, like how they fixed the left joy con issue

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Someone get Sonic Mania and tell me if it's good.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Apparently
It's really good

Also switch stores and you can get it now

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Zelder posted:

When did you buy yours? I'm wondering if later runs fixed this problem, like how they fixed the left joy con issue

Mine is day 1 purchase, which now that I've gotten some splatoon time in I think I can live without for a while while it hopefully gets fixed

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As wrong about Sonic as you are wrong about Inifinite Warfare. smdh Macy’s, what has Canada done to you???

Put Mario's physics in the game instead, and give him the ability to roll into a ball; you instantly improve the game as a platformer.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Samus is the best Sonic.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

Mine does this if I press right but roll towards up, even though my thumb appears to be in the same position. If I firmly press right it works fine.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

Mine is day 1 purchase, which now that I've gotten some splatoon time in I think I can live without for a while while it hopefully gets fixed

Imma try and recreate that later, I bought my controller a week before splatoon 2 came out and I've had no problems with ppt or Gunvolt burst

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saved a 1,000 foot long Chinese dragon by hang gliding over it as it blindly flew down a canyon and shooting off the evil cancerous boils given to it 100 years ago by satan.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

I saved a 1,000 foot long Chinese dragon by hang gliding over it as it blindly flew down a canyon and shooting off the evil cancerous boils given to it 100 years ago by satan.

I'm still pissed that I accidentally spoiled the dragons in BotW for myself by watching a Twitch stream on release day.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I've seen some folks use a d-pad with the tip of their thumb and some people use the ... interphalangeal joint to use a d-pad. Some folks raise their finger to change direction, some don't. I wonder if this has anything to do with some people not having trouble and others having plenty of trouble with it. If I ever play a fighting game on this thing I'll probably be able to tell if i hate the d-pad or not

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
I've seen fixes for the d-pad that involve opening the controller up and putting scotch tape over parts of the contacts or inserting small bits of cardboard under the center pivot, so I think it's just poorly designed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My pro dpad works just fine :shrug:

Guess I got lucky

• Locked thread