Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Manamorphose and Gifts are easy cuts too. And Pyretic and Desperate Ritual are on watch! Remand better watch itself too.

Nah remand at least gives you your card back. Mana leak just shuts down every deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Guys I'm beginning to think that they might just wanna ban Grapeshot

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Nah remand at least gives you your card back. Mana leak just shuts down every deck.

The only thing Mana Leak shuts down is the idiots playing Mana Leak, right around turn 5.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Guys I'm beginning to think that they might just wanna ban Grapeshot

Nah *bans Shivan Reef, Vessel of Volatility, Pieces of the Puzzlem, and preemptively bans Opt in case it ever see a modern printing*

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 14, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I like Storm fine but if banning Grapeshot and Empty got us Ponder and Preordain back I'd take it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

I like Storm fine but if banning Grapeshot and Empty got us Ponder and Preordain back I'd take it.

It won't. They won't ever ban Grapeshot or Empty, and even if they do they won't unban anything because ~combo~

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I want to live in a world where Opt is slated to be reprinted with pirate art in Rivals of Ixalan and is pre-banned in Modern. That would be fantastic.

Koirhor posted:

Hopefully can snag that vampire precon for retail, the others don't interest me at all but whatevs
I wonder if there's a clear winner that will sell out and be hard to find in this set. Feels really balanced, unlike most of the commander runs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey dudes if you want the SDCC 2017 Planeswalker set, they should go on sale in like 4-8 hours at this link:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa/Special-Offers/featured-htsus-specialoffers-featured/-exclusives/-c35000000?catName=Exclusives

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I wonder if there's a clear winner that will sell out and be hard to find in this set. Feels really balanced, unlike most of the commander runs.

Wizards. Especially if the new Snapcaster is legacy playable which it isn't imo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Spiderdrake posted:

Dragon has the advantage of being dragons, which makes it harder for the others.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

Hey dudes if you want the SDCC 2017 Planeswalker set, they should go on sale in like 4-8 hours at this link:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa/Special-Offers/featured-htsus-specialoffers-featured/-exclusives/-c35000000?catName=Exclusives

Out of stock :(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Out of stock :(

They haven't gone up yet.

have fun :f5: for a couple hours.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

In addition to being Dragons, it also has Ramos. I think Ramos is the most powerful new commander by far, so keep an eye on it.

Otherwise, I would very much like it if we didn't run into another Atraxa situation.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shadow225 posted:

In addition to being Dragons, it also has Ramos. I think Ramos is the most powerful new commander by far, so keep an eye on it.

Otherwise, I would very much like it if we didn't run into another Atraxa situation.

Nah dude one of the 5 clearly being better than the rest is totally fiiiiine.

*Hoards all of the Dragon precons, eager to sell them at 1.5x the price.*

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Here's how it works: after receiving a game piece, participants will activate and log the game pieces on Geocaching.com, take photos, and place them into a geocache container to start them on their explorative journey. Geocache containers stay in one place for the duration of their lifecycle, while the trackable game pieces move from container to container.

The magic: the gathering/geocaching crossover that apparently someone somewhere wanted

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/exploring-ixalan-exploring-our-world-2017-08-14

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Storm in modern is a bad deck. A guy drawing hot and winning a tournament doesn't change that.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Storm in modern is a bad deck. A guy drawing hot and winning a tournament doesn't change that.

You're wrong on this one. Storm has been showing up in increasing numbers and consistently putting out results at events. A second copy at 12th in that same event, a 3rd at 25th. 6th at the classic the week before, 7th in the open with 2 more in the top 16. That's just at a quick glance at SCG opens/classics in the last 2 weeks. It's a decent, resilient deck. Anecdotal, but at a pptq 2 weeks ago I had to play against it twice, once in the top 8. Not everyone who plays it is good at it though.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Elyv posted:

The magic: the gathering/geocaching crossover that apparently someone somewhere wanted

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/exploring-ixalan-exploring-our-world-2017-08-14

Seems like a interesting low effort ARGish way to get people hyped for the new set. Can't wait for people to go through all that effort to have cards leaked 2 months ago revealed though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

Hasbro so bad at digital they just gave up and made an analog version of Pokemon Go.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Star Man posted:

Unban all Magic cards. Ban all Magic players.

"The only perfect world is an empty world, with no one to sin or play Magic."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

lol ok

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is this digital next because???

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You're wrong on this one. Storm has been showing up in increasing numbers and consistently putting out results at events. A second copy at 12th in that same event, a 3rd at 25th. 6th at the classic the week before, 7th in the open with 2 more in the top 16. That's just at a quick glance at SCG opens/classics in the last 2 weeks. It's a decent, resilient deck. Anecdotal, but at a pptq 2 weeks ago I had to play against it twice, once in the top 8. Not everyone who plays it is good at it though.

That seems to be the case. I don't quite understand why though, because to me it seems like every major axis of interaction (removal, counterspells, discard) gives it a hard time, and that's not even mentioning graveyard hate. It looks like a solid deck for sure, I'm just at a loss as to how it wins as much as it does.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bonus posted:

That seems to be the case. I don't quite understand why though, because to me it seems like every major axis of interaction (removal, counterspells, discard) gives it a hard time, and that's not even mentioning graveyard hate. It looks like a solid deck for sure, I'm just at a loss as to how it wins as much as it does.

You can put all the hate you want into a deck but it doesn't mean poo poo if you don't draw it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Bonus posted:

It's just massively redundant. The familiars aren't necessary to win with, they just accelerate the win so removal is good, but not amazing. Counterspells are mediocre because there's like 8 copies of every effect in the deck, and past in flames can be recast even if it's in the yard. Discard is effective but they play so many cantrips that given a few turns of no discard they can rebuild easily. Sometimes the deck just won't win, but even when it's behind it can still come back with a good chain of draws and win anyway. Sometimes you don't need a graveyard or anything, you just end up casting 5 cards into empty the warrens and it's enough.

I actually do bring in 2 sunlance against the deck when I'm playing taxes but that's just because they really can't beat a Thalia without goblin or baral.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
just wanted to say Key to the City is the absolute truth in standard. I have been enjoying it in my mono red vampires and a cobbled together black/green madness deck

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

You can put all the hate you want into a deck but it doesn't mean poo poo if you don't draw it.

Modern.txt

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It's just massively redundant. The familiars aren't necessary to win with, they just accelerate the win so removal is good, but not amazing. Counterspells are mediocre because there's like 8 copies of every effect in the deck, and past in flames can be recast even if it's in the yard. Discard is effective but they play so many cantrips that given a few turns of no discard they can rebuild easily. Sometimes the deck just won't win, but even when it's behind it can still come back with a good chain of draws and win anyway. Sometimes you don't need a graveyard or anything, you just end up casting 5 cards into empty the warrens and it's enough.

I actually do bring in 2 sunlance against the deck when I'm playing taxes but that's just because they really can't beat a Thalia without goblin or baral.

agreed. the deck is redundant and needs a lot fewer resources to go off than the ascencion version

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Is this digital next because???

God, I hope so.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think storm is a very solid deck that is going to continue to do well.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hellsau posted:

they're in stock

e: had to add to cart from the main exclusives page:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/hts...ice:&pageSize:&

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

They don't appear to ship outside the US or Canada.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Anyone going to the scg open in Louisville on sept 16?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The fact that I can add these things to my cart after 45 minutes is really strange. I couldn't add them after 45 seconds other years.

Also lol $186.50 blow me WotC

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Wrong thread

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

suicidesteve posted:

The fact that I can add these things to my cart after 45 minutes is really strange. I couldn't add them after 45 seconds other years.

The 2015 and 2016 versions aren't listed for much, I don't even know if its worth it to get this

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

suicidesteve posted:

Still available. Seems like anyone buying these to flip is a high-degree sucker

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hard pass on these. I kinda want the Chandra but not at what they're asking.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

For that much money couldn't they have improved the planeswalker abilities a little bit? :q:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

For that much money couldn't they have improved the planeswalker abilities a little bit? :q:
Lol. That's what sank mageknight. Imagine if winning tournaments got you format legal cards that were strictly superior​ to standard equivalents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

odiv posted:

No, you don't want mechanically unique promos in this game.