Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Sadly it might just not be reliable, which isn't a great quality in a dash cam. I remember two+ years ago when I was looking the A118 was being made by multiple manufacturers with roughly similar processors and image sensors but widely ranging quality control. I'd be suspicious for at least the first month, make sure it's recording at least once a week, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Grmbl - last week I drove over San Bernardino and idiots like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwyGW27nbuU were around.

If you can't make a turn on your side of the road, take the loving tunnel!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Warthog posted:

Grmbl - last week I drove over San Bernardino and idiots like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwyGW27nbuU were around.

Yeah but on Top Gear they drive super fast through winding mountain passes on both side of the road so

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Warthog posted:

That San Bernardino is way better than the San Bernardino by me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Viofo A119 I ordered from Zapals finally arrived, literally 29 days after I ordered it.

Part of me wants to place it on the dashboard of my Prius so I don't have to run a long rear end USB cable across the ceiling, down the A pillar, then across the dash. Are there any drawbacks to this layout?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Josh Lyman posted:

The Viofo A119 I ordered from Zapals finally arrived, literally 29 days after I ordered it.

Part of me wants to place it on the dashboard of my Prius so I don't have to run a long rear end USB cable across the ceiling, down the A pillar, then across the dash. Are there any drawbacks to this layout?

Yes, the angle of view is not as good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spog posted:

Yes, the angle of view is not as good.
Yeah, I tested it now live. :(

It has GPS options of off, location, and location and speed. I know we generally don't want speed since everyone speeds, but is there anything wrong with enabling location?

edit: The GPS coordinates are literally imprinted on the bottom of the video similar to time, so I guess that should be okay.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 10, 2017

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Enabling location gets you nothing (I doubt the location of the crash or whatever is going to be in dispute) and lets you infer speed.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I do not believe that a GPS readout of 61 in a 60 zone would make your insurance find you at fault or void a claim. our national design rules dictate that all car speeds be accurate to within 10%+- and most if not all manufacturers make their speedo read under by at least 3-5km/h so you should never been a bees-dick over the speed limit unless you are actually speeding beyond a reasonable about.

cops usually apply a + 10% rule around here unless you are asking for trouble and I cant imagine them bothering to grab your dashcam footage when 99% of the time its your word against theirs in a court of law and they have the knowledge and training on how to a) get you to confess on their chest cam/microphone to the offence b) identify and execute an open-close infringement case.

basically you arent going to submit your footage to the insurance company unless you know for sure you werent the at fault driver, and if a cop wants to bust you for speeding they dont need your self-incriminating evidence to do it as they already have everything to nail you before you've been pulled over.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
You may not realize how litigious our society is in the US. It's all about limiting the tools the opposing party can attack you with.

Let's say you're running a cam and proceed through a yellow light, but you T-bone somebody from the oncoming lane who had turned directly in front of you. You produce the dashcam video to prove that you had a yellow light and the other party was in the wrong.

The person you'd T-boned had 2 small children in the car unbelted, one sitting in the front seat. One of them died at the scene and the other is in the hospital racking up a 6-figure bill. Not likely but not impossible.

The family of the person you'd T-boned decides to sue you for all you're worth, claiming reckless driving, regardless that their driver was responsible. Their key piece of evidence? The dashcam video you'd submitted showing that you'd been going 4mph over the limit before braking to avoid the collision.. you'd goosed the throttle a bit to duck under the yellow light before it turned red. Again not likely, but not impossible.

Disabling the GPS readout is a small thing you can do to avoid this nightmare. Will it happen? Probably not. But you're ostensibly running a camera to protect yourself legally after being involved in an accident, you may as well go one step further if you're able.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Laserface posted:

I do not believe that a GPS readout of 61 in a 60 zone would make your insurance find you at fault or void a claim. our national design rules dictate that all car speeds be accurate to within 10%+- and most if not all manufacturers make their speedo read under by at least 3-5km/h so you should never been a bees-dick over the speed limit unless you are actually speeding beyond a reasonable about.

cops usually apply a + 10% rule around here unless you are asking for trouble and I cant imagine them bothering to grab your dashcam footage when 99% of the time its your word against theirs in a court of law and they have the knowledge and training on how to a) get you to confess on their chest cam/microphone to the offence b) identify and execute an open-close infringement case.

basically you arent going to submit your footage to the insurance company unless you know for sure you werent the at fault driver, and if a cop wants to bust you for speeding they dont need your self-incriminating evidence to do it as they already have everything to nail you before you've been pulled over.

Depends on the case. If you get hit by someone who cuts you off, your 10mph over could get you a percentage fault (and increased rates) over a video with no speed that shows the same thing. Without the video, however, you might be found 100% at fault for rear ending a dude.

I would strongly prefer a camera without GPS at all. Turning speed off also hurts you if so equipped.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
He's also not making sense for Australia. You don't want gps/speed on your dashcam. Why the hell would you? ever? for what possible reason? How could it ever benefit you?
If not at fault for a crash you are willingly fitting a "black box" to you vehicle for examination.
If you like to know gps/speed/location things in real time get a separate satnav or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only reason I want GPS coordinates is to track routing during road trips. Guess I could leave it off for everyday commuting.

Not really sure what I would even do with that road trip data though. Make a pretty map overlay to post to Facebook?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The only thing I can think of is that GPS coordinates prove that what you recorded was at a specific location, so in the event your recording didn't capture a license plate, a defendant in a case couldn't successfully claim that it was some other similar car you recorded and not them, like if you were on a long boring road that looks the same along its whole stretch?

The circumstances would have to be pretty particular for that to matter, though, and I think the risk of self-incriminating data is higher. Unless you drive like a saint and never ever break the speed limit under any circumstances, ever.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Dick Danger, MotoVlogger chases down a hit and run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjsdQxINryQ

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Bogatyr posted:

Dick Danger, MotoVlogger chases down a hit and run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjsdQxINryQ
Quite the video. I'm rather on the fence about pursuing fleeing drivers (especially by civilians). The argument against is that the pursuit itself can escalate the danger posed by the fleeing individual and that, so long as someone caught a plate number, the police can follow up belatedly at the owner's listed residence and/or put out an alert. On the other hand, if the driver has already caused damage and appears likely to be a clear and present danger to themselves and others, it would be irresponsible for law enforcement not to pursue. I think back to that dashcam footage from Chicago where a trashy car runs a red straight into a cop and just drives away without the slightest pursuit after the cop flashes his lights—if the driver's already hit somebody and makes the choice to run from the cop, they're probably a huge danger to every single individual they come across that night.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Quite the video. I'm rather on the fence about pursuing fleeing drivers (especially by civilians). The argument against is that the pursuit itself can escalate the danger posed by the fleeing individual and that, so long as someone caught a plate number, the police can follow up belatedly at the owner's listed residence and/or put out an alert. On the other hand, if the driver has already caused damage and appears likely to be a clear and present danger to themselves and others, it would be irresponsible for law enforcement not to pursue. I think back to that dashcam footage from Chicago where a trashy car runs a red straight into a cop and just drives away without the slightest pursuit after the cop flashes his lights—if the driver's already hit somebody and makes the choice to run from the cop, they're probably a huge danger to every single individual they come across that night.

I'm fine with following hit and run drivers or dui drivers while talking to 911, as long as it remains safe. In the video the only place I would really question was when he ran a couple of reds to keep up. That's the point where I would have given it up personally, but luckily he didn't have any issues.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, I am inclined to draw the line at the pursuer running red lights. Keeping eyes on a hit and runner isn't inherently a bad idea. I guess real time this was something like 20 minutes. CHP(and at least 2 other jurisdictions)/911 wasn't all that successful at catching up to this pursuit despite having turn by turn directions.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
On a positive note I was safe from German snipers this lunchtime,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXgELcXY-bc

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Serpentine Baconroll, serpentine!!

In the eternal struggle between green arrows and red lights, who will be victorious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynT1aG6GkI

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 11, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's a weird intersection, I've never seen one where left-turners are not guided into the leftmost lanes of the road they're turning into. With that said, fuckstick turning right could've easily done that as long as they actually planned to stay in their lane instead of running into yours.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It may be hard to see but there is a dotted line following the turn, so inside turn lane goes into lanes 1-2 and middle turn lane goes to 3-4. I always learned you treat turning right on red as a stop sign so they still should have yielded to oncoming traffic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah, I'm agreeing with you - right on red guy should've waited until you were past either way.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ain't even mad, that intersection is a piece of poo poo in general. Go back and check how long my green light lasted. It's like that for cross traffic EVERY TIME :(

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Greater Vancouver Crash compilation a little old but if you want to see cars crashing into each other look no further!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Takes No Damage posted:

Ain't even mad, that intersection is a piece of poo poo in general. Go back and check how long my green light lasted. It's like that for cross traffic EVERY TIME :(

That light is a giant gently caress you to anyone trying to go north. Southbound isn't quite as bad, but still annoying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I assume the reason for wanting to "hide" your dashcam is so thieves aren't enticed to break into your car to steal it.

However, if I mount mine as high up as possible on the windshield, the black dots from the third visor pepper the top half of the visible area.

But if I move it down the windshield an inch or so, the front part of the lens isn't hidden by the black dots when looking at the car from the outside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

~Coxy posted:

Enabling location gets you nothing (I doubt the location of the crash or whatever is going to be in dispute) and lets you infer speed.

Yeah but unless you are driving in a featureless void, speed can be inferred with greater accuracy from the video alone.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but unless you are driving in a featureless void, speed can be inferred with greater accuracy from the video alone.

That requires hiring an expert and investigator and will only get you a 10 +/- mph at best. That's only gonna happen on high dollar cases. It is a four figure bill to do it in a way that is admissable in any court, which they're not gonna pay for your $5k claim.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nm posted:

That requires hiring an expert and investigator and will only get you a 10 +/- mph at best. That's only gonna happen on high dollar cases. It is a four figure bill to do it in a way that is admissable in any court, which they're not gonna pay for your $5k claim.
Exactly. It'd be really easy for a nerd with video editing software and a few reference measurements to determine your speed from video in a way which would be convincing to other nerdy people who understand the principles involved, but convincing a jury is a different matter. If you aren't recording audio there's even potential to create doubt about the accuracy of the camera's claimed framerate.

If you have a GPS overlay however, you now have the most accurate source of timing and positioning available to the average person putting the numbers on screen in plain view of anyone with two brain cells bumping in to each other.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wolrah posted:

Exactly. It'd be really easy for a nerd with video editing software and a few reference measurements to determine your speed from video in a way which would be convincing to other nerdy people who understand the principles involved, but convincing a jury is a different matter. If you aren't recording audio there's even potential to create doubt about the accuracy of the camera's claimed framerate.

If you have a GPS overlay however, you now have the most accurate source of timing and positioning available to the average person putting the numbers on screen in plain view of anyone with two brain cells bumping in to each other.

GPS speed can be inaccurate too, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if juries could be instructed to ignore GPS speed in a recording.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

EightBit posted:

GPS speed can be inaccurate too, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if juries could be instructed to ignore GPS speed in a recording.

The problem is: juries don't decide these sorts of things very much. It's usually insurance companies, who don't have to follow any logical set of rules. I've seen several instances of the insurance company willfully ignoring obvious dashcam footage of what happened when assigning fault.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

EightBit posted:

The insurance company will use that gps speed to determine whether or not they want to fight you on it. They're not going to hire some expert to determine if you were doing 35 in a 30 for your average case.

I'm just a lawyer who's worked on these cases from the criminal end, so what do I know?

Buy all the gps enabled cameras you want, but don't say I didn't warn you. I'm not buying them, even if I disable the speed sensor.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Are GPS cameras where the camera need a separate module plugged in to enable GPS included?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are GPS cameras where the camera need a separate module plugged in to enable GPS included?

The reason you don't want to have a GPS-equipped camera is to avoid the question "why was GPS turned off?"

If it's a separate module that requires extra mounting/wiring and/or if it costs extra I'd say that gives you a nice answer which can't be used against you.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Not that I'm in the US or subject to the craziness of laws there, but I figured that if it works in US litigation mania, it'll work everywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

Isn’t an expert witness also required to testify about the coordinate stamps?

wolrah posted:

Okay but if any idiot can plot two points on Google Maps and measure the distance between them, how is that same person incapable of finding two landmarks in Street View and checking how many seconds of video exists between passing one and passing the other?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 14, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How many idiots sitting in their cubicles do you think want to bother going through that for the typical minor accident/speeding ticket?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think the only two choices here is either say gently caress you to the man and GPS your ride with your middle finger in constant view of the dashcam or live in a bubble with a tinfoil hat on so those pesky GPS signals don't invade your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jabro posted:

I think the only two choices here is either say gently caress you to the man and GPS your ride with your middle finger in constant view of the dashcam or live in a bubble with a tinfoil hat on so those pesky GPS signals don't invade your thoughts.

The finger is the only acceptable way to express displeasure because an audible “gently caress you” would run afoul of wiretapping laws.