Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

DLC Inc posted:

he's fat

Hmm good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Augus posted:

it's a joke

It loving sucks!!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone find out if the Australian e-shop account thing works?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Someone should tell Jim that jokes are supposed to be funny.

it's pretty funny yeah.
i mean if you don't find it funny then whatevs but it's pretty silly to call a joke unfunny when you haven't actually watched and therefore haven't seen the joke. i guess calling someone fat is the pinnacle of wit though.
people get so fuckin weird about video game reviews I swear.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 14, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Viewtiful Jew posted:

By the way, the lowest scoring Sonic Mania review I've seen so far (6) is by the same guy from Slant Magazine who gave BOTW a 6, who I immediately remember not necessarily because of that score, but because during the discourse surrounding his review someone asked him "Are you like the Armond White of video games?" and he took it as a compliment. He said Armond White was a huge inspiration to him as a media critic.

Just looked up this Armond White Guy, and holy poo poo, this is that IGN God Hand review image if they were done by the same guy. :lol:

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I have spent some length of time chatting with the guy who made FP about Classic mode and its implementation and how it relates to the second game and I could not define it as a "solved problem", it's actually surprisingly complicated and if that other poster thinks it is solved, by all means tell me so I can pass the word along.

If you had time and were free to talk about this, I'd like to hear about what GalaxyTrail (I assume it was Stephen but idk any other team members) wanted for the original game. I'd assumed it was either something to match Classic Sonic, or something for like Speedrunners (cause some devs throw in trinkets for runners, usually with mixed results).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And now we reached the point where we're insulting a reviewer who gave Mania a good review for being overweight.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yah the whole fashist dictator vibe is a lot less funny these days. He recently updated his branding into more of a circus leader sort of thing. Its dumb but at least he pulls that poo poo off better than poo poo like angry joe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr Phillby posted:

Yah the whole fashist dictator vibe is a lot less funny these days. He recently updated his branding into more of a circus leader sort of thing. Its dumb but at least he pulls that poo poo off better than poo poo like angry joe.

oh right, that. yeah I kinda just internalized the new show layout as the default one

yeah his schtick used to be mimicking cartoon supervillains but with how many legit fascist youtubers there are these days he decided to switch to a wacky carnival aesthetic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Augus posted:

it's pretty funny yeah.
i mean if you don't find it funny then whatevs but it's pretty silly to call a joke unfunny when you haven't actually watched and therefore haven't seen the joke. i guess calling someone fat is the pinnacle of wit though.
people get so fuckin weird about video game reviews I swear.

I have watched and I don't like it! Gimmicks are obnoxious and get in the way of what people watch the review for (hint: it isn't the dude pretending to be a carnival dictator)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I have watched and I don't like it! Gimmicks are obnoxious and get in the way of what people watch the review for (hint: it isn't the dude pretending to be a carnival dictator)

well thats, like, your opinion, man!

he said Sonic Mania is good. is that not enough!? can we not agree on this one simple, universal truth!?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Augus posted:

this game is so fuckin good :allears:

Unfortunately it looks like it's just using Tails' AI so it can't climb walls, but still

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

And now we reached the point where we're insulting a reviewer who gave Mania a good review for being overweight.
After 26 years of beating up a fat man at the end of each level it gets drilled in to you

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Someone out there is probably still angry that GamesMaster gave Sonic 2 a 65 for being too much like Sonic 1 and too easy way, way back in the day.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

when we should really be making fun of him for his dumb glasses and hat

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Unfortunately it looks like it's just using Tails' AI so it can't climb walls, but still

GOTY

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm so tired today but I think I'm gonna stay up till midnight just so I can start the mania download.

Also Nintendo get it together and add pteloading to the switch

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I already added $20 to my Switch account in anticipation. I must remain strong and NOT give in to the temptation to double dip on the PS4 version so I can play at midnight.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

man nurse posted:

I already added $20 to my Switch account in anticipation. I must remain strong and NOT give in to the temptation to double dip on the PS4 version so I can play at midnight.

well it's only like a 186 mb game so it shouldn't take too long to download

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kurieg posted:

Bad News: Mania unlocks at 11:00 PM and it's currently 12:30.
Good news: Here's a live unboxing!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I need 100% confirmation on the exact time this game is releasing on the eShop immediately I am excited for a good fasthog game

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Augus posted:

he'd better include a formal apology for liking Sonic 4 :colbert:

He kinda did! He said Sonic Mania is the game that really deserves the "Sonic 4" title, so...

Anyway, Polygon gave it a 7 but the reviewer seems like a complete idiot.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

g0lbez posted:

I need 100% confirmation on the exact time this game is releasing on the eShop immediately I am excited for a good fasthog game

It came out midnight for aus goons, so :pray:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey hope you're all hanging in there, I'm in a sonic mood right now and feel like chatting with my sonic friends so anyone else waiting out there it's time for some #SonicConfessions (please use the hashtag so I can see your post thanks)

1. Sonic Heroes is my nostalgia Sonic Adventure 1/2 akin to the rest of you. I never played SA as a kid so I don't really have much love for them but man do I get worked up when everyone shits on Heroes. It came out at a good time in my life in high school and I got it on xbox without the performance probs and I generally had a good time playing it :) I played the first level again sometime earlier this year and it was great!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

2. The only "mainline" sonic game I have never owned and never played is Shadow the Hedgehog. Everything else I have in some fashion (often 2, 3 times over) #sonicconfessions

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

3. I...I honestly get legit stressed out a bit whenever I play sonic 1, 2, CD and 3 ...I always must attempt to go after the chaos emeralds. I know, I know "but they're optional" you say...but I let sonic down if I let robotnik win in the end...and it's very important to me sonic has a good ending. even when I say to myself "just relax and enjoy the game don't go after those pesky emeralds they're not worth it" I still do every time and if I half rear end it and blow it it's very shameful for me...:( #sonicconfessions

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

For those who have played Mania and without spoilers, is there an explanation for why we have reused levels when it's supposed to be a direct sequel to 3&K? I don't care about any deep lore or anything, just something that you can go "ok sure that makes sense" with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Frankston posted:

For those who have played Mania and without spoilers, is there an explanation for why we have reused levels when it's supposed to be a direct sequel to 3&K? I don't care about any deep lore or anything, just something that you can go "ok sure that makes sense" with.

Yes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
#SonicConfessions I used to get angry because the games and comics and cartoons never seemed to match. One was a wacky Loony Toons affair, another was a grimdark dystopian nightmare starring Urkel, another was a combination of the two with increasingly incomprehensible storylines, and the last had Mushroom Hill.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

3. I...I honestly get legit stressed out a bit whenever I play sonic 1, 2, CD and 3 ...I always must attempt to go after the chaos emeralds. I know, I know "but they're optional" you say...but I let sonic down if I let robotnik win in the end...and it's very important to me sonic has a good ending. even when I say to myself "just relax and enjoy the game don't go after those pesky emeralds they're not worth it" I still do every time and if I half rear end it and blow it it's very shameful for me...:( #sonicconfessions

My absolute completionism is what made me dislike the classics because after replaying them so much i expect super sonic by hydrocity and if i mess up i get pissed. It wae after realizing this i enjoyed the classic trilogy again

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
That is by just playing and going fast-ish and having a blast

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ok, great. Thanks :)

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Andre Banzai posted:

He kinda did! He said Sonic Mania is the game that really deserves the "Sonic 4" title, so...

Anyway, Polygon gave it a 7 but the reviewer seems like a complete idiot.

Arthur Gies kind of sucks. He's the guy who gave SimCity a 9.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
#sonicconfessions I want steam versions of every sonic game out there. Especially the really bad/weird/obscure ones. I want Shadow. I want 2006. I want Segasonic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
a confession that isnt really a confession because theres no reason to hide this or feel ashamed by it: i've always thought the north american cover art for the sonic games looked like loving garbage.
i hate how they made sonics head look like a sphere with a plane of spikes inserted on his back

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ArfJason posted:

a confession that isnt really a confession because theres no reason to hide this or feel ashamed by it: i've always thought the north american cover art for the sonic games looked like loving garbage.
i hate how they made sonics head look like a sphere with a plane of spikes inserted on his back

JP > EU > NA

Although I absolutely adore the EU/NA Sonic 2 boxart and think that beats the JP version.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

HMS Beagle posted:

Arthur Gies kind of sucks. He's the guy who gave SimCity a 9.
Honestly if not for the brothers McElroy I'd be short of that editoral fuckhuis

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Counterpoint

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

#SonicConfessions - I downloaded the free Sonic 1 app on my phone yesterday and game over'd in Green Hill Zone Act 3. I absolutely blame the weird-rear end touchscreen controls for that, but I still feel so ashamed.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

At least I can take some consolation in the fact that there probably won't be any uploads of the full soundtrack until the PC release. :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Counterpoint

I never noticed that the ring isn't even complete, what a loving mess.