Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

McGiggins posted:

really flesh out the idea
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I had a group from a friendly faction show up to help me from a raid, of course they were 2 days late and I am fine, but now they appear to be stuck on the map and they are slowly starving and going crazy. They aren't aggressive but I lose standing with this group whenever one dies. Anyone encounter this and find a solution? Tried saving and reloading and they are still stuck.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Arrest, imprison, treat, and release.

You'll get all your faction standing back very easily.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
oh and don't forget to beat them down a few times to teach them to get their laggard asses off o' your land.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
One rescued faction member that gets off the map cancels out three deaths, if you have a half decent stocked hospital these are actually best seen as opportunities to actually increase your standing.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah I was able to rescue a couple to cancel out the other deaths. I guess it's a bug where they are responding to an ancient danger even though it hasn't been uncovered. I found it, so next time they come by I'll pop the thing open and let them do the dirty work.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea that tamed insects would mine for you.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

McGiggins posted:

:eyepop:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

McGiggins posted:

:iit::hf::iia:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

McGiggins posted:

tamed insects

How?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've considered trying rescuing a bug to see if it'll react well, but they're so bitey I usually just turn them into fuel. Knowing they can mine makes it sound more worthwhile though :stare:

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I don't know if you can tame infestation bugs but if you're playing a desert they can spawn there as wild animals and you can tame them or have them self tame.
When you say they mine do you mean where you designate or do they just randomly burrow through stuff?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dejawesp posted:

Rimworld: Prison architect in space

For most of us it's like prison architect but backwards, I think it's only you that plays it actually exactly like prison architect.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A Call of Cthulhu mod for Prison Architect :black101: Ran a ponzi scheme? Dagon will be more than happy to refund the people you defrauded!

Is there any way to cure anxiety in Psychology? I hate that any time someone mental breaks, they become a medicine sink :( Especially since whoever writes the Grimoire of the Occult nearly almost always has a fairly hard break.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 13, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Danaru posted:

A Call of Cthulhu mod for Prison Architect :black101: Ran a ponzi scheme? Dagon will be more than happy to refund the people you defrauded!

Is there any way to cure anxiety in Psychology? I hate that any time someone mental breaks, they become a medicine sink :( Especially since whoever writes the Grimoire of the Occult nearly almost always has a fairly hard break.

You can always put them on herbal meds, that stuff grows on trees. Managed anxiety is pretty insignificant.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I read that as Kerbal meds and was wondering how high-gee atmospheric braking was going to help.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Dire Lemming posted:

I don't know if you can tame infestation bugs but if you're playing a desert they can spawn there as wild animals and you can tame them or have them self tame.
When you say they mine do you mean where you designate or do they just randomly burrow through stuff?

Well, I bought them from a trader, and they're just going after all my designated mining places. I wanted to expand my prison for reasons, and drew my mining plan, and them bugs just done went at it.

Pretty dang nifty.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Crimson Harvest posted:

I read that as Kerbal meds and was wondering how high-gee atmospheric braking was going to help.

Well much like Kerbals, your colony can send its undesirable citizens on doomed expeditions to get rid of them.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

after some research, it seems that you can't rescue bugs or tame them. Also if you get them off a trader, they don't STOP mining until they run out of overhead mountain.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't use mods and am bad at this game. I had a weird situation happen which seemed dumb: A fire broke out inside my meat room and two people were helping with it. Nobody had a 'break' or anything.
-one guy was in bed and I couldn't make him help
-one guy would help with a single fire block but then path to a meal to eat. I could reassign him to another fire block but after finishing that he'd try to eat again.

Since this was inside my base and 2 of 4 guys got incapactitated by this, and I'd hosed up the game in other ways, and I had no food left since it all burned, and my hunter was sick... I just gave up. I'd done the right things, I had a concrete floor (wood walls didn't help but I hadn't got around to replacing them yet. I just don't know why one guy couldn't help at all (right clicking on the fire with him selected showed nothing) and the other guy didn't think the fire was important, his meal was more important.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Moose posted:

after some research, it seems that you can't rescue bugs or tame them. Also if you get them off a trader, they don't STOP mining until they run out of overhead mountain.

Guess I know what my next playthrough will be. What do the insects eat?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

redreader posted:

I don't use mods and am bad at this game. I had a weird situation happen which seemed dumb: A fire broke out inside my meat room and two people were helping with it. Nobody had a 'break' or anything.
-one guy was in bed and I couldn't make him help
-one guy would help with a single fire block but then path to a meal to eat. I could reassign him to another fire block but after finishing that he'd try to eat again.

Since this was inside my base and 2 of 4 guys got incapactitated by this, and I'd hosed up the game in other ways, and I had no food left since it all burned, and my hunter was sick... I just gave up. I'd done the right things, I had a concrete floor (wood walls didn't help but I hadn't got around to replacing them yet. I just don't know why one guy couldn't help at all (right clicking on the fire with him selected showed nothing) and the other guy didn't think the fire was important, his meal was more important.

You need to increase priority for certain jobs, like firefighting. There's a button on the jobs menu which lets you switch to manual priorities. Also, you can draft sleeping people to wake them up, then undraft them so they will help.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I generally mark fire fighting as priority 1, since it's usually so important compared to pretty much anything else they're going to do.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, i'm kind of unclear on why manual labor priorities isn't the default since they are absolutely vital to the proper functioning of a colony. but turn those on, and make sure firefighting is rank 1. i'd also recommend putting patient and bed rest at 1 for everyone who's not a doctor (put them at priority 2 for doctors, with doctor being priority 1). nothing sucks more than trying to treat some moron who will not go to the hospital, or a doctor refusing to go on shift for whatever dumbfuck reason.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Let me guess: does the doctor have a bad leg and an Abrasive personality trait?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and chemical fascination

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

McGiggins posted:

Well, I bought them from a trader, and they're just going after all my designated mining places. I wanted to expand my prison for reasons, and drew my mining plan, and them bugs just done went at it.

Pretty dang nifty.

Which kind of insect? I started up a game with a megaspider and spelopod(sp?) and neither seemed to care about my mining areas

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'm just getting into this game and is it just me, or is the music that plays during raids just Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall Pt 1" only changed just enough to not get sued?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm just getting into this game and is it just me, or is the music that plays during raids just Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall Pt 1" only changed just enough to not get sued?

It's you, if you mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C38PvAkTSnM

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

Which kind of insect? I started up a game with a megaspider and spelopod(sp?) and neither seemed to care about my mining areas

it was those two that I bought. Maybe it's a mod thing, as I am running a hell of a lot of those, though I can't think of any in particular that would change animal behavior.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nah not that one. I just went through them all and couldn't seem to find it but I swear to god there was one with an extremely reminiscent bassline. If it comes up in game is there a way to see the name of the current track?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wafflecopper posted:

Nah not that one. I just went through them all and couldn't seem to find it but I swear to god there was one with an extremely reminiscent bassline. If it comes up in game is there a way to see the name of the current track?

I just want to say that you are not insane because I had the exact same impression.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
A mod I would really like is a random increase to colonist statistics due to increase of their skills. Similar to dwarf fortress, a legendary crafter should also be extra tough and speedy.

Probably because I play DF too much though haha.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Donkringel posted:

A mod I would really like is a random increase to colonist statistics due to increase of their skills. Similar to dwarf fortress, a legendary crafter should also be extra tough and speedy.

Probably because I play DF too much though haha.

RimWorld probably can't go wrong by importing Dwarf Fortress features whole-cloth. It already has DF's best feature of a complex social and mood system that in no way represents realistic behavior.

More building options would be nice, multiple story buildings in particular. Dwarf Fortress colonies all have a unique character to them based on the geography, resources, and player preferences while in RimWorld there's just sort of one optimal way to build each room you need and so everyone's colonies look like everyone else's for the most part.

Both games let you really get cruel to your population in the name of pragmatism though, which I appreciate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tynan posted:

All the coordinates are tracked in 3-vectors already (though only the two horizontal axes are used), so the potential for 3D is in the game.

I am afraid that there is basically no way a modder would ever be able to mod Z-axis into the game. It is a beast of a feature. Here's some basic issues you'd have to handle:
-Pathfinding
-Lighting spilling over Z-levels
-Save/load of a geometrically larger amount of stuff (e.g. 200x200 map = 40k squares, 200x200x10 = 400k squares!)
-Line of sight for shooting
-AI tactical analysis of shooting lines of sight etc
-Cover usefullness varying at vertical angles
-Interface for moving through Z-levels
-Rendering visible lower Z-levels while being on higher ones

I could go on and on... Anyway, there is tons to do in RimWorld, my general thought is that the best cost/benefit move is to leave Z-levels to Towns, DF, Gnomoria, Stonehearth, and all those other games and focus on what RimWorld is really uniquely about : AI Storyteller, tactical AI, and so on.

Tynan has basically said Z-levels aren't coming due to the logistical issues, and a modder would have a nearly impossible time of it too. He didn't completely shut it down, but I wouldn't hold my breath

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I still say the answer is limited z levels. 2 or 3 levels for tall buildings. 2 or 3 for underground. If you keep it little and not create a huge sprawl like in other games I feel it would remove a lot of the mechanical problems. Then again I dont know anything about programming so feel free to say I dont know poo poo about dick.

I just want prison watch towers and bunkers.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Two down, one up sounds like a decent compromise. Two down for trenches and a proper basement, and one up for a rampart/guard tower setup.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

even one/two high and one/two down causes a lot of problems with the current systems of the game. how does ranged weapon line of sight work? how do infestations work? what happens if a second story building gets hit by a psychic ship part or poison ship? how does movement between z-levels manifest for purposes of melee combat? how do you handle the cave-in/stability system? this last one toady still hasn't solved years later.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
The One and Holy Randy burned our village and cast us out of our native land; yet in his punishments he bestoweth a vast fertile landscape of temperate forest land to rest upon. All hail Randy.

We begin to sow our seed, send out hunting parties, and construct wooden shelters and beds to make this place our home. Not too far away from us is a building made of stone, but we stay away from it because of the unholy noises coming from behind its walls. Our farmer finishes sowing the fields and begins studying these walls to see how they are made, so we can eventually build our own. Our hunters bring back several raccoons and rabbits, Hail Randy, and we feast on a hearty fat and berry mixture. Our small village is beginning to bloom, and with Randy's blessing, we will continue to do so.

Our presence here must have angered the locals, as our scout reports that men armed with odd shaped weapons have decided to make camp nearby- and they look like trouble. Rather than attempt to take them on in a head on fight and risk the entire tribe, our scout remembers that Randy is Great and comes up with an idea. He sneaks up to the camp where the three men are resting. Except he isn't very quiet and they see him and begin chasing. Loud noises are going off behind him and he hears whirrs fly by his head. He immediately regrets his decision, but by the will of Randy, he will see this through. He runs straight towards the Unholy Wall and begins bashing on a segment that had begun to break away. The scout wasn't sure what was on the other side, but it couldn't be worse than what was chasing him. Wrong. The wall crumbles away just in time for him to hear a winding up noise as he is cut in half by a barrage of gunfire. As his entrails are spilling out on the floor and he is grasping at what little life he has left, he sees those three men take aim towards the wall and begin to fire. All Hail Randy.

The remaining villagers were saddened by the loss of Scout, but his death came with a great reward; something called a Machine Pistol, an SMG, and some Red Pills with a dark symbol on them. Randy is Great. The Unholy things were still wandering by Scout's body and we weren't sure how to reclaim him. Several days later, we see a trading caravan off in the distance. Our Chief knows exactly what to do, Hail Randy. The Chief runs at The Unholy and shoots an arrow in their direction- it bounces off of one of them as they all turn and begin chasing Chief. Chief runs directly at the traders as small pieces of metal fly past him in the hundreds. One of those metal pieces happens to hit one of the incoming traders, and their entire group goes up in arms. Chief had never seen an enemy cut down so fast, as these traders made short work of the Unholy. The traders have an eye on our cotton, and we exchange a heap of cotton to them for some metal and medicine. All Hail Randy.

Our animal handler, Whispers, had spent the past few weeks trying to tame a succession of animals to no avail. Our only animals to this point were something called a "Yorkshire Terrier" - a worthless animal- and a Doe that had been hanging out with us for a while. We had a cat at one point, but Randy had other plans for it. One day, a pair of Labradors wander by and stop at our village. Whispers gives them some kibble and they bark in excitement and begin licking Whispers. Hail Randy. Whispers and the two dogs - Rojo and Purple - were inseparable. Whispers even taught Rojo and Purple how to drag things around the village to help out with some of the labor. Exciting! Randy must have appreciated how well Whispers responded to the dogs, because a short time later a Cougar began spending time at the camp and even befriended Whispers. And then another trader passing by had a Polar Bear! Whispers was ecstatic- all of these new animals for him to pet heavily! Rojo and Purple must have been able to sense the excitement, because Purple began to show a belly- pups are on the way!

Chief remained busy leading the camp- a few raids by bandits here and there were little match for his Machine Pistol. The village had grown to 7 members, stone walls instead of wood, plentiful food sources, comfortable beds for everyone, and we even started dabbling in art. Hail Randy. We even built a pet shelter to hold all of the animals that Whispers had... collected... and ensured that there was a constant stockpile of Kibble and endless cloth beds for the animals. Whispers really took to Purple and Rojo and their pups- the doggies would spend their days dragging things to and from where they needed to go, all the while being played with and fed by Whispers.

One day, the Yorkshire Terrier was sniffing around the storage room and happened to pick something suspicious up in his mouth. Whispers was keeping a close eye on this little one, and ran over to him to pry out whatever he had. The Red Pills! That little fucker! Whispers grabbed all but one of them- the Terrier swallowed it, and Whispers watched as the dog's eyes tinted red. The Terrier began licking Whispers, tail wagging excitedly and barking, as if he was rejuvenated with a new --- the dogs blood began to spray out from his neck as it flailed around on the floor towards its inevitable demise; Whispers calmly put his knife back in his sheath and walked away. He hated that dog. Hail Randy.

Rojo and Purple had two more litters together, and Rojo had even sired some pups with one of his daughters. Hail Randy. Whispers was incredibly proud of his Labradors, but always kept them inside of the village walls while out mining or taming new animals. The Polar bear and Cougar followed Whispers everywhere as his protectors, and he loved them for that. Even followed him to the other side of the map when mining, searching for more steel. Even stood directly under a collapsing roof in the mountain, ripping off the Polar Bear's jaw and crushing the rear leg of the Cougar. Stupid loving animals. Whispers left them in the cave for Doc to come rescue them; he was growing wary of all these other animal breeds, but freaking loved his labs. Hail Randy. Whispers wasn't too sad when the Cougar and Polar Bear were sold off to traders.

While Whispers was busy hanging with bitches, Chief was hard at work building the village into a Town; including some automated turrets. Chief, being blessed a genius by our Lord and Savior Randy, designed the Town in a way to funnel any would be attackers into a circular room with turrets lining the walls. Any hostiles dumb enough to enter would feel the wrath of the village people (now Town people, Randy is Great). Psionic Ship? No problem. Shoot, kite into turrets, dead. Easy. Raid of other tribals? Easy too- turrets vs the might of Randy behind our townspeople. Nothing can stop us now!

Randy had enough of our bullshit. He sent in 7 men armed with plasteel and steel melee weapons with some strange shielding devices. This doesn't look good. What have we done to forsake Randy? Whispers and Chief were saddened- perhaps they hadn't sacrificed enough captives or harvested enough livers? We thought Randy loved beer! Chief reassured his people- we just have to let the raiders run through the kill zone into a corridor behind a single door entrance- and then we can pick them off one by one. Great idea, everyone thought. Everyone gets ready behind the door. Wait. What are the dogs doing? WHAT, DOGS WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING. Just as the raiders enter the killzone and the turrets start firing up, the dogs just merrily loving run one after another into the killzone and get riddled with bullets. Just one after another, running in and getting mowed down; all within view of Whispers. His beloved dogs, just running like lemmings into friendly fire. Why, Randy... why have you forsaken us....?

After the smoke had cleared, many of the raiders were dead, and we only lost 2 Townspeople. Whispers was just standing there- looking at the line of dog corpses. Nearly 12 of his favored labs, including puppies, strewn across the killzone. Injured, distraught, and in moderate starvation, Whispers knelt down and consumed the corpse of one of the puppies. As if Randy himself were watching over Whispers, cargo pods fell from the sky filled with - dog meat [this actually happened]. Then it dawned on Whispers- he stood up and yelled, "All Hail Randy!". Chief, watching in amazement, looked to Whispers and understood. This was a gift- a message, from Randy Himself, and the path forward for this humble Town. Thankfully, Rojo and Purple had huddled with Whispers in the hallway and were safe, as they were the only mating pair left.

The townspeople immediately jumped into action- building a luxurious house for the animals to live in, stocked full with Kibble. Rojo and Purple understood their role in this, or not, but began pumping out puppies on the regular. Rojo double dipped several times in the puppy pool and soon there were ten or more bitches ready to burst, Hail Randy. With puppies running around everywhere, Whispers grinned, and took out his trusty knife again. Randy, Praise Be.

The town Chef perfected a recipe- it was truly a Lavish Dish. Chief declared that all other meals be phased out, and we only are to serve the best going forward, Hail Randy. Chief and Whispers worked so efficiently together that there was plenty of food to spare when the occasional trader came by. We were more than happy to oblige them. One bite and they were hooked. One of the traders happened to ask Chef what the name of the delicacy was- "North Korean BBQ"

Hail Randy.

tl;dr: i made a puppy farm for food. it was good. Hail Randy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
There's this new RimSilo thing out and it seems really neat! I can cloud storage my everything and network the entire planet into being sold into slavery to drive my cybernetic horde!