Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Pulled this hot garbage from the 10+1 ticket:

I count at least 4 good TMs and 1 good unit(2 if you don't have a maxed Firion already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Mad Fnorder posted:

I've got two Dual Wields currently,, and equal numbers of Zidanes and Abels. Should I grind for a Bowie Knife or another Dual Wield? (Current team is typically Wilhelm/Rikku/Olive/Orlandeau/Reberta, with Y'sh on deck for heal fights.)

Bowie Knife is pretty niche. It's good on someone like Setzer.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the team building tips!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mad Fnorder posted:

I've got two Dual Wields currently,, and equal numbers of Zidanes and Abels. Should I grind for a Bowie Knife or another Dual Wield? (Current team is typically Wilhelm/Rikku/Olive/Orlandeau/Reberta, with Y'sh on deck for heal fights.)

This depends in part on how many equal numbers you have. Bowie Knife is significantly less good than Dual Wield, but is still better than no dual wield. If you have 2 or 3 of each, I'd be farming 2 Zidane and 2-3 Abel, and smush the abels for a quickie to throw 3 more things on.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

/\/\/\ Nice!

Kicked a Goon who was inactive for over a week. 634,188,308 for a 100% Evade Fohlen carry that can autoattack Gilgamesh to death. Fohlen also gets natural immunity to confusion and paralysis.

If anyone beyond SquirrelGrip wants an add, I can comb through my list for anyone without a non-Goon greeting... not many of those left, but I can look!

I'd appreciate your help! I just added you, I'm Odysseus.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Pulled this hot garbage from the 10+1 ticket:

beats my single gold king and trash blues

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Victis posted:

Bowie Knife is pretty niche. It's good on someone like Setzer.
You might be confusing Second Knife in the case of Setzer.

Bowie Knife is a pretty viable alternative to DW if you can replace the DW materia with at least an ATK+20%. The part where it gets crushed is because of weapon Masteries. If all you're working with is the great sword master and fist mastery then tossing those on your main and a Bowie Knife on your second is probably going to be better than DW, assuming you can replace the materia slots with a good ATK+% materia of 20 or better.

It's also worth noting that it's elementless and you might not have a good weapon without and element to DW.

It does straight up loses to Genji Glove, but It will be a lot closer when the ATK +45 accessory comes in a couple weeks.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

I count at least 4 good TMs and 1 good unit(2 if you don't have a maxed Firion already).

I have 4 Bowie Knives, a bajillion Eqiup H Armors, two maxed Firions, 6 Garnets, and a partridge in a pear tree. :(

Cry Havoc posted:

beats my single gold king and trash blues

Yikes. You win.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I have 4 Bowie Knives, a bajillion Eqiup H Armors, two maxed Firions, 6 Garnets, and a partridge in a pear tree. :(

Yikes. You win.

Get to work on grinding those Garnets then! I've only got 1 of her TM, recently rolled 2 more of her and regretting every day that I mushed 7 of her.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mad Fnorder posted:

Bowie Knife is only really better than Dual Wield on a character who would rather have a good ability slot than a good weapon slot.

Typically, that would be a character with narrow equip options and only one mastery. I'm actually struggling to think of an example - most Base 5*s can use greatswords, and generally those who can't aren't able to use daggers either. Randi prefers doublehand, Luneth has Dual Wield baked-in... Maybe Fohlen?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 14, 2017

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Cupid Artemios (har) actually wants Bowie Knife because he has a dagger mastery passive.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Get to work on grinding those Garnets then! I've only got 1 of her TM, recently rolled 2 more of her and regretting every day that I mushed 7 of her.

I really should, it's a super underrated TMR.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Bowie Knife is only really better than Dual Wield on a character who would rather have a good ability slot than a good weapon slot.

Typically, that would be a character with narrow equip options and only one mastery. I'm actually struggling to think of an example - most Base 5*s can use greatswords, and generally those who can't aren't able to use daggers either. Randi prefers doublehand, Luneth has Dual Wield baked-in... Maybe Fohlen?

Reberta is one! She can't equip Greatsword or Katanas natively so those masteries are out. She has innate spear mastery, her TM is a great spear, and then there's ol' Breakwindlord and his spear mastery TM coming up so she'll generally be using a spear so the Aqua Blade is out. Reberta with Dark Knight Soul and Dual Wield vs Reberta with 2x ATK+30%s and a Bowie Knife is a whole +10% ATK! ... which is +18.8 ATK with full ATK pots. Bowie Knife and the Enhancer have the same ATK stat too (+82 ATK) for comparison.

So basically grind out DWs first. Maybe down the road grind out a Bowie Knife for those edge cases where it gives more ATK but DW just has more flexibility. Plus early on weapon slots are more important than ability slots.

e: quick addendum: This is only if you want to be element free. Changing out Reberta's Crimson Blood (+128 ATK) for an elemental spear (+48 ATK) is a huge ATK loss (-80 ATK, Ice is a bit smaller if you have the BF event ice spear). Going DW and replacing the Bowie Knife with an elemental sword (+33 ATK) isn't as bad (-49 ATK) and then replace your 2x ATK+30%s with Dual Wield and Dark Knight Soul for more ATK.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 14, 2017

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Give rem a bowie knife, enhancer, 4x letters and arms and an earring and you got a mage hitting the 300% passive mag cap, with an accessory slot left over.
Its a viable build if you werent around for her event weapon or the second knife, and if you were she becomes a unit thats possible to max damage passives on with only 4 TM

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Plus it's great for any supports who you don't want to waste materia/accessory slots on but want them to hit twice for whatever reason (breaks, crystals, orbs, etc.).

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
So I'm reading 2B has a trick that makes Algerion easier? How does it work, exactly? I'd love to be able to plow through that and get the good stuff faster.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

2B's R50: Spear attack gives a buff that increases her damage to machines. This buff is hilariously broken in that it'll make her do 1 damage or something like 3 billion each hit to machines. Thanks to dual wield she can apply the buff then hit with it on the same turn, or with Pod Charge->R50 Spear hit AoE with it too. Since Aigaion is a machine it will wreck him.

In my experience the bug is device dependent though. On my main phone (Zenfone 2) and Nox emulator I only got the 1 damage per hit version of the bug. On my old and busted Galaxy S3 phone I got the 3 trillion hit bug. Others have talked about getting the 3 quadrillion damage bug via force closing or some stuff though but idk if it works or not myself. If you can trigger it and can make a party that can at least survive Aigaion's mechanics and damage you can just wreck his face in no time.

Going for the Fist Mastery challenge is a bit trickier since you have to build up the esper gauge to summon Ramuh which is always :suicide: . Only the body drops orbs and crystals, I did it by killing the left arm 10 times to remove it from the battle then grinding out the orbs. Others used Bartz or other Entrust users with auto-LB gauge stuff (idr the details, I don' think Bartz is necessary but he has passives to speed up his LB fill rate) then passing his limit break to Garnet or Rydia so they can use their LB to fill up the esper gauge. I think they killed the body and right arm since the left arm will only kill one dude at a time (except when hit by lightning, make sure to kill the Left Arm on the same turn you summon Ramuh to avoid this since it might wipe you).

e: To test if your device has the good version of the bug bring your/a friend 2B to the Engels raid fight and try using R50: Spear. If it does 3 quintillion damage congrats! Put together a team to try and even survive Aigaion for one turn to get his weapon, and hopefully you can get the Ramuh challenge too.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 14, 2017

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Dragomorph posted:

So I'm reading 2B has a trick that makes Algerion easier? How does it work, exactly? I'd love to be able to plow through that and get the good stuff faster.

Not sure exactly what the cause is but B2 has an ability called Spear that gives her a buff against mechanical enemies. If you have an older phone this might cause her to do ridiculous damage in the millions to mechanical enemies letting her one-shot them with no issue at all.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

that Sozhe TM is absurdly good for any character who wants hps and doesnt have a refresh skill. or does have a refresh skill. i would genuinely trade 10% attack for the mp regen and the health on pretty much any attacker i think.

It's really good on A2 because she can easily hit 300% attack and doesn't have auto refresh.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragomorph posted:

On some phones - typically older ones, but it's not consistent - the Machine Killer buff on her Spear attack overflows and she either does 1 damage or hits the actual damage cap, which is somewhere in the ballpark of 999 billion.

The trick, in turn, is finding a device that can exploit said bug.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Skyridge posted:

Cupid Artemios (har) actually wants Bowie Knife because he has a dagger mastery passive.

It'll also work on enhanced Gilgamesh (if that ever comes) who gets an extra spear and dagger mastery at +2.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Do we know of any good banners coming up soon? I'm debating dumping my last 25 tickets into Nier trying for A2 or even just more TM fodder for the raid gacha, and it seems like it'd be kind of crazy for Gumi to do 3 banners in a row with absolute top tier physical damage dealers.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Every banner is better than the one before it. Just pull for waifus.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

The FFXI banner might turn up eventually and it has Werei in it who has a tmr with +20% HP and +40% Atk for greatswords though no idea when it'll actually pop up.

It looks like it has a raid banner attached to it too so it might still be a while.

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 14, 2017

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
10 + 1 got me a Bedile! Oh, and that 9S I was chasing. Phew. Rest was crap.

I managed to snag a Reberta from a one-off ticket earlier over the weekend ... how well does she chain with Tidus? I assume best setup for that Crimson TMR spear and off-hand an Aqua Blade?

Time to cook up that second Leon!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think tidus is pretty bad chaining with everyone but tidus till Camille gets her 6*, then she can spark element chain perfectly with him

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dragonturtle posted:

The FFXI banner might turn up eventually and it has Werei in it who has a tmr with +20% HP and +40% Atk for greatswords though no idea when it'll actually pop up.

Should be the next raid, probably. Or whenever they are going to run the monster hunter replacement event anyway.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Do we know of any good banners coming up soon? I'm debating dumping my last 25 tickets into Nier trying for A2 or even just more TM fodder for the raid gacha, and it seems like it'd be kind of crazy for Gumi to do 3 banners in a row with absolute top tier physical damage dealers.

Next banners coming up are likely the 2nd set of veritas, onion knight, and ayaka, the 5* healer that surpasses even Tilith.

Ugato posted:

Should be the next raid, probably. Or whenever they are going to run the monster hunter replacement event anyway.
I figured this was the event to replace the monster hunter one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

hamburgers in pockets posted:

If you still don't have a good chainer then you'll want to pull for Onion Knight.

If you don't have a good healer then you'll want to pull hard for Ayaka.

Cloud after that if you don't have a good finisher.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm guessing there'll be an awakened warriors banner again for the new lot that's coming up. Sync it up with the Marlboro trial and let everybody pull for Marie and her newly enhanced status immunity buff!

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

PaybackJack posted:

Yep. 20% resist all is awesome. I'm working on my 3rd.

I think "Please Login Again" is server side because it's much better today.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I realized something today. I have every type-0 character that's in the game. Rem, Ace, and Queen included. I didn't try to get any of them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scrublord Prime posted:

I'm guessing there'll be an awakened warriors banner again for the new lot that's coming up. Sync it up with the Marlboro trial and let everybody pull for Marie and her newly enhanced status immunity buff!

Do they put Limited units on the awakening banners? I already have my Randi, but I'm curious if he'll be seeing the rounds again.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

My Fohlen's build has one floating materia slot: everything else is required to keep him Gilgamesh-proof.

Holy Lance, Genji Shield, Assassin's Vest, Lucky Bangle, Twenty-Sided Die, 2 Quick Attacks, Spirit of Freedom, *Manufactured Nethicite,* *Dark Helm*

Fohlen's pretty cool, he's got built-in partial immunity to physical attacks to start, and he's a Windlandeu who can chain perfectly with the 10-frame club (Reberta, Ashe, etc.)

A Bowie Knife is one way to quickly get him up and running if all your good gear is on another character.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Plus it's great for any supports who you don't want to waste materia/accessory slots on but want them to hit twice for whatever reason (breaks, crystals, orbs, etc.).

This, basically.

KataraniSword posted:

Do they put Limited units on the awakening banners? I already have my Randi, but I'm curious if he'll be seeing the rounds again.

That's an interesting question.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

The only other limited units that got awakenings in Global so far are half the Brave Frontier crew, and that was during their event anyways. Not all awakening batches gotten banners either, like Batch #2 so we might not get any banner which defers the question until next time (the FF14 characters got ability awakenings but I'd bet that synced up with the third FF14 event. After that... there's the time limited Crystal Chronicle characters, I'm not sure if they were made available again in Japan though).

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they do. All the characters in this ability awakening batch woudl give 2 5*s (Marie and Randi), 3 4*'s (Soleil, Primm, and Grace), and 2 3*s (Poipoi and Aiden). Can gumi really resist the temptation of :retrogames: as people chase another time limited unit on a split rainbow banner?

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
poor poor lonely tidus i wish you had more friends to chain with. will definitely keep camille in the pocket for her 6* down the road.

now i guess the more important question - who chains well with Pod153? thinking of tossing it on my noctis

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

new kind of cat posted:

now i guess the more important question - who chains well with Pod153? thinking of tossing it on my noctis

Frame data puts R020: Mirage in the 10s crew. So, Fohlen, Reberta, Ashe, etc.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

new kind of cat posted:

poor poor lonely tidus i wish you had more friends to chain with. will definitely keep camille in the pocket for her 6* down the road.

Most units don't particularly chain well with anything other than themselves. We got a bit lucky in that Reberta got the same frames as Fohlen but since neither of them were as strong as Orlandeau it didn't really matter. Most base 5s have their own unique frame data; that said:

Really though, they went really drat lazy giving Veritas of the Dark the same frames as Orlandeau. I guess they really needed to give people a reason to roll hard in the JP meta so making a unit that is Orlandeau+ and works with Orlandeau was the easiest way to do that but it's pretty clear that they also dug themselves into a hole that they haven't been able to cilmb out of yet. Like if you rolled 2 Orlandeau/DV, or 1 Orlandeau and 1 Dark Veritas you're going to be fine on DPS for the next full year at this point.

Onion Knight made somewhat of a splash in the meta since he can output a ton of damage, but actually having to work to get that elemental imperil for bonus damage and coordinate with any friend unit you want to use is too much effort when you can just use any old Orlandeau on your friends list.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

new kind of cat posted:

KataraniSword posted:

Frame data puts R020: Mirage in the 10s crew. So, Fohlen, Reberta, Ashe, etc.

Yet another reason to be mad at Eve. The 10s crew is the largest crew, according to the wiki. Pod 153 makes anyone a chainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PaybackJack posted:

yeah obviously i am a dumbass for not thinking more critically about it and just going along with the wiki but i've fused at least ten garnets and in retrospect how could her TM have been so underrated, goddamn.

• Locked thread