Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

daaamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
oh god it's the dumbest possible hot take:

http://observer.com/2017/08/charlottesville-alt-right-counterintelligence/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

I actually just moved a domain off GoDaddy recently for other reasons and you have to disable the whois protection temporarily during the transfer. It's so the new domain registrar can find your real contact info (email) and send you a link to confirm the domain transfer. So yeah kinda funny it's out there but I doubt it's a malicious thing GoDaddy explicitly did.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Burning_Monk posted:

You and almost every large company, medical provider, and security minded folk. It's not a small crowd really.

VPNs themselves are real. They make a real mathematically secure route over a network. But there is a difference between using that to access resources on an internal network from a remote location and using one to transport the data from your ISP to just some other ISP somewhere else.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

VPNs themselves are real. They make a real mathematically secure route over a network. But there is a difference between using that to access resources on an internal network from a remote location and using one to transport the data from your ISP to just some other ISP somewhere else.

did you actually think that someone was claiming they were imaginary

B B
Dec 1, 2005

e: nm

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Honestly, probably for the best. It would be a security nightmare for the locals, and I can't see a Trump visit doing anything positive. He had his chance to make anything come of this tragedy for his purposes and flubbed it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

moostaffa posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/897189136129511425

Over/under on how long until Trump tweets to blame muslim terrorists?

well to be fair it probaly is, that being said, alt right/nazis and wahabis/salfist assholes are 2 sides of the same coin. mostly dumb hosed up angry kids who want to lash out so they join the edgiest group and then kill a bunch of people.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
There is only one answer to the question "Should I use a VPN?"

Yes.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/PostRoz/status/897211477471485984

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

he aint wrong though he is probaly not doing it for the wrong reasons. security would be a nightmare and he would just be booed and poo poo thrown at him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Eh..

That's not probably untrue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

Three days after Donald Trump named his campaign foreign policy team in March 2016, the youngest of the new advisers sent an email to seven campaign officials with the subject line: “Meeting with Russian Leadership - Including Putin.”

The adviser, George Papadopoulos, offered to set up “a meeting between us and the Russian leadership to discuss US-Russia ties under President Trump,” telling them his Russian contacts welcomed the opportunity, according to internal campaign emails read to The Washington Post.

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Welp. Guess we know what's going to be talked about the rest of the night.

:getin:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coyo7e posted:

I honestly cannot see anyone attending if they have to protest like the liberals do, all politically correct and non violent and looking to promote peaceful change through understanding and dialogue

The problem with alt-right protests is what they're protesting about, not the way they protest. The standard liberal form of calm, not-angry protests intended to encourage ~dialogue~ are dumb as hell.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well to be fair it probaly is, that being said, alt right/nazis and wahabis/salfist assholes are 2 sides of the same coin. mostly dumb hosed up angry kids who want to lash out so they join the edgiest group and then kill a bunch of people.

there's no link to terrorism

https://twitter.com/AP/status/897198693526405123

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your Taint posted:

BB guns?

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

Spencer- "we were treated in such a disrespectful manner." speaking of Charlottesville.

"these people (antifa) are out for blood!"

Haven't the cops found weapons caches around cville?
Premeditated violence right there.
Of course he's blaming counter protesters for simply reacting to hate speech. Eyerolling for days.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Don't think for a second your browsing is secure over a VPN. If they're based in the US they can be subpoenaed (even secretly by FISA courts) and all your logs of access are available to law enforcement. If they're not based in the US you have to make a call--do you trust them enough to send all of your browsing traffic (access to bank websites, every login for online services, etc.) to them?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Updated the quoted post with the correct tweet. Sounds newsy.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

This is shocking mostly because it's actually pretty astute. His tepid response made it clear that he at best doesn't give a poo poo and at worst is actually on the side of white supremacists, so there really is no upside to a visit unless it's to issue a heartfelt mea culpa and the odds of that are approximately lol

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

No, you idiot. They're going to talk about horsies. Pretty ones.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I posted this earlier, and it got buried. I don't think it is a dumb take at all. Not saying it is happening, but definitely worth looking at. If there is shady funding going to some of these groups it/they should be stopped. If there isn't then it/they should be stopped. its not like it is a distraction or something.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Crabtree posted:

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/897188371264655360

No they're going to try a March on Google. Yeah, attack one of the world's biggest companies nazis. I'm sure you fuckers will contain yourselves for your precious "free speech" to scream death to everyone that isn't white, short and fat.

I'd love to see that rally filled with thousands of left-leaning protesters displaying their powers of free speech just to see the tantrum of "NO, NOT THAT FREE SPEECH, OUR FREE SPEECH".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

Eh..

That's not probably untrue.

yeah man in a country built on white supremacy, with racist murders being a constant for centuries, i'm sure it took russians to mobilize these white supremacists.

these people are agents of american influence. PoCs have been telling you this for decades. this isn't new. this is the american racist status quo. don't blame your racist society on russian influence.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your Taint posted:

No, you idiot. They're going to talk about horsies. Pretty ones.

Piss horsies????????

botany posted:

yeah man in a country built on white supremacy, with racist murders being a constant for centuries, i'm sure it took russians to mobilize these white supremacists.

these people are agents of american influence. PoCs have been telling you this for decades. this isn't new. this is the american racist status quo. don't blame your racist society on russian influence.

Yeah, this. I'm sure that the Russians would love to cause some more unrest in the US, but it's not the Russians that made the US racist.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Does anyone want to bet that BakedAlaska is totally overexaggerating getting hit with tear gas? Like this is the first he's encountered it and he thinks it's all these other things.

I've been maced and I'ved been pepper sprayed and I didn't go blind. Washed it out with water. It's very hard to see right after it first hits you, and it hurts like a bitch. But yeah, if you're in the emergency room taking selfies you are probably fuckin' fine you crybaby wannabe-martyr.

https://twitter.com/bakedalaska/status/896874543049981952

I just noticed his face isn't even red, eyelids not puffy. Oh jesus wept. :rolleyes:
If that's a man that has been sprayed with acid then I'm Buzz Aldrin.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 14, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mod sassinator posted:

Don't think for a second your browsing is secure over a VPN. If they're based in the US they can be subpoenaed (even secretly by FISA courts) and all your logs of access are available to law enforcement. If they're not based in the US you have to make a call--do you trust them enough to send all of your browsing traffic (access to bank websites, every login for online services, etc.) to them?
You can always turn the VPN off and on for different activity.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

botany posted:

Yeah, manifest destiny in new guises basically.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:stare:

quote:

The proposal sent a ripple of concern through campaign headquarters in Trump Tower. Campaign co-chairman Sam Clovis wrote that he thought NATO allies should be consulted before any plans were made. Another Trump adviser, retired Navy Rear Adm. Charles Kubic, cited legal concerns, including a possible violation of U.S. sanctions against Russia and of the Logan Act, which prohibits U.S. citizens from unauthorized negotiation with foreign governments.

But Papadopoulos, a campaign volunteer with scant foreign policy experience, persisted. Between March and September, the self-described energy consultant sent at least a half-dozen requests for Trump, as he turned from primary candidate to party nominee, or for members of his team to meet with Russian officials. Among those to express concern about the effort was then-campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who rejected in May 2016 a proposal from Papadopoulos for Trump to do so.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

After reading this, this is less "trump is hosed" and more "man russia was trying real hard" - it's a junior staffer who was nonstop trying to arrange meetings with russians and getting the brush-off from higher ups. It's basically how the Don Jr. thing would have been handled by a competent campaign.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

botany posted:

there's a difference between accepting the history of racism, and seeing if they are getting additional money from a nation that would benefit from the chaos they sew. :shrug:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the high pressure of the spray can gently caress up your eyes for realsies if they held the can right up to his face (i hope they did and i hope he is blind)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

After reading this, this is less "trump is hosed" and more "man russia was trying real hard" - it's a junior staffer who was nonstop trying to arrange meetings with russians and getting the brush-off from higher ups. It's basically how the Don Jr. thing would have been handled by a competent campaign.

Yeah my enthusiasm wanted after reading it. It doesn't seem like collusion, more like setting up meetings, which by itself is not illegal.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Calibanibal posted:

the high pressure of the spray can gently caress up your eyes for realsies if they held the can right up to his face (i hope they did and i hope he is blind)

If he got tagged point blank, yeah that would be pretty terrible. But he didn't.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the wapo article reads like some junior staffer being taken for a ride by russian intelligence

it's another questionable development in a long litany of questionable developments, but it is hardly a game changer

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Bannon being gone would be fantastic , also it's fantastic that these high level people in the administration keep being fired

I chalk that up to stunning incompstence and the great rule of dont steal the spotlight from the orange man. Incidentally tonight is the Moochs appearance on late night which I hope loves up to the billing

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/897215231243542531

How long does Bannon stay?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

the wapo article reads like some junior staffer being taken for a ride by russian intelligence

it's another questionable development in a long litany of questionable developments, but it is hardly a game changer

that junior staffer is going to go broke lawyering up though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

there's a difference between accepting the history of racism, and seeing if they are getting additional money from a nation that would benefit from the chaos they sew. :shrug:
It's worth looking into in any case. Shame the counter terrorist group is now anti islamic only thanks to Trump.

• Locked thread