Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
please dont dirty our perfect gold thread with talk of trash fire shows, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

I feel bad for Lucy, her husband is basically a different person now for better or worse. The one unshakeable relationship that survived the 25 years is the one most affected by the main plot.

He didn't seem all that different when they were putting the coat on the eyeless lady, just that one scene before and I'm willing to chock that up to Andy being Andy. Unless you mean that now he knows the true horrors that lurk underneath the hearts of mankind, in which case fair enough

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don't think Andy seems like a different person at all. I think he's still Andy, but he's clearly been imbued with significant purpose, and that changes anyone.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Even if he is just as sweet and pure as before he can no longer be the happy fool he once was.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

He basically treats these cosmic events like normal police business, anyway, so… are we even sure he knows the difference?

Like, once this is all over, Andy's gonna file his talk with the Fireman as a 911 call or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Andy and then Lucy sincerely wanting to help the weird alternate dimension characters just like they would anyone else loving owns hard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

redreader posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/twin-peaks-chrysta-bell-tammy-preston-interview.html

This is pretty interesting. I don't know if I believe everything here, I think she's being genuine in her interview but if there IS some kind of deal going on with her character she'd have to hide it in this interview. Maybe Lynch just knew how she acted IRL and decided twin peaks needed some of that. I think that's more likely.

Guess this eliminates the whole "Lynch is directing her to act stilted and lovely." She's just a bad actress because she's never done it before. Makes more sense now.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Guess this eliminates the whole "Lynch is directing her to act stilted and lovely." She's just a bad actress because she's never done it before. Makes more sense now.

Well it's fully possible that Lynch knew that she would act poorly and intended for her character to come off that way, but we'll never ever know.

Even if he didn't intend it what we got is great.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

They are not mutually exclusive ideas. He could easily be getting exactly what he wants from her in the role. She certainly would not be the first awkward character in a David Lynch project.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

i don't really understand why people have strong opinions over tammy's character at all, she seems fine to me? she's not any more odd or stilted than any other character in the show, which is part of its charms

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

pissdude posted:

i don't really understand why people have strong opinions over tammy's character at all, she seems fine to me? she's not any more odd or stilted than any other character in the show, which is part of its charms

I thought she was amazing in the Cole and Diane smoking scene. Her facial expressions showed her internal monologue perfectly while she attempted to "act natural".

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

pissdude posted:

And More posted:

Is she trying to form a question mark or something? I mean, that can't be comfortable. Maybe it's like someone suggested and she is actually, literally a snake person.
Its really distracting, she is very uncanny valley. Which is odd, because she is a real person.

Its weird to look at that picture and read her words that she was never posing. Just being natural.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

pissdude posted:

To me she feels more like a prop than a character. She's there to give Albert a reason to drop exposition on the audience. She's almost completely blank.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Attitude Indicator posted:

The Return has been uneven, and i've been disinterested in some of the elements of it, but that was a great episode and i'm all aboard for the final hours.
Best part was hyperactive ninja window cleaner.

oh man, that guy, Definitely Not A Hitman Window Cleaner.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe it'll be revealed that she's actually a robot and then everything will fall into place.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Tammy's about as good an actor as Leo was but, fortunately, she's given a lot less to do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Tammy's about as good an actor as Leo was but, fortunately, she's given a lot less to do.

Eh, I'd say Leo was worse, but he got to do a lot more. Maybe if Tammy actually had lines and did stuff it would be better, but I think it just feels like she's there to get info dumped on and to be pretty. And that feels really condescending to her as both an actress and a character.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I thought it was interesting that Cole and Albert seemingly had no memory of the scene from FWWM until Cole recalled it after his dream.

Similar to Hawk/Truman having no memory of what happened when Andy entered the vortex.

Electricity/weird lodge poo poo induced memory loss?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They forget it until it's relevant to the plot again I guess

I don't mind Tammy at all. For a supposedly brilliant agent she sure is relegated to serving coffee a lot of the time though

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Palmer family is a bunch of weirdos

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

eSporks posted:

Its really distracting, she is very uncanny valley. Which is odd, because she is a real person.

Its weird to look at that picture and read her words that she was never posing. Just being natural.

And I think that's exactly why Lynch wanted her for the show. She just naturally has this odd, uncanny look and feel that fits nicely into Twin Peaks. I really enjoy it, honestly.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

remusclaw posted:

They are not mutually exclusive ideas. He could easily be getting exactly what he wants from her in the role. She certainly would not be the first awkward character in a David Lynch project.

I don't know what you mean, I thought "this is what we do in the fbi" was a triumph of naturalistic acting

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eh, I'd say Leo was worse, but he got to do a lot more. Maybe if Tammy actually had lines and did stuff it would be better, but I think it just feels like she's there to get info dumped on and to be pretty. And that feels really condescending to her as both an actress and a character.

Leo was awful, for sure, but like I said, he had a lot more to do and clearly wasn't up to the task. It feels like they kinda know Tammy's limitations and are playing to them. She definitely has a "presence" which isn't out of place in Twin Peaks, but she's just not a good actor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching and man Bobby is such a nice guy now. His whole attitude when describing Jackrabbit's Palace and everything is so upbeat and lovely.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

At least Leo had some crunch to him and motivation (being a self-serving, drug dealing, wife-beating, contemptuous bastard) and despite how bad his acting may have been, he actually did stuff on his volition. And heck, he became a vegetable and stooge for Windom Earle later so those acting problems went away lol.

My eyes almost rolled out of my head when Albert monologues about Tammy's accomplishments half way through the entire season and then she's accepted into the Blue Rose fold. I don't know if any actress could have squeezed much more out of Agent Fidget-hips since her dialogue and charaterization is poor on its own merit.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
You really have to wonder how Bobby got from pushing nose candy to kids to this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It may have been brought up before, but it just clicked that Cooper lovee Douglas Firs and now his name is Douglas/Dougie

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You really have to wonder how Bobby got from pushing nose candy to kids to this.

Just a well timed talk with his dad and knowing that he was loved and cared for.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

There are seeds of it in the original show, like when he legitimately tried to get a real job to support Shelley.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bobby felt like he was buying into the whole drug dealer thing for Laura.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i genuinely love leo's bad acting and that shot of him slamming the washing machine and then staring off into space with a clenched fist and a totally blank face is one of my favorite shots in the whole show

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Popping in again, watching the first episode of the Revival. Halfway through. Matthew Lillard was the last loving person I ever expected to see in Twin Peaks, but I'm really happy. I think he's a super underrated actor. He's doing a great job so far too

anyway, enjoy being 13 episodes ahead of me

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

Popping in again, watching the first episode of the Revival. Halfway through. Matthew Lillard was the last loving person I ever expected to see in Twin Peaks, but I'm really happy. I think he's a super underrated actor. He's doing a great job so far too

anyway, enjoy being 13 episodes ahead of me

you're in for a good time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love imagining The Giant/Fireman using the phrase "the power of an enormous piledriver"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Man, people think Leo was bad? Guess since English is not my native language I never really noticed that... Still, I miss the guy. Hope he shows up in the last episode, super old, still holding rope with the spider trap in his teeth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought Leo was a pretty big ham but not nearly as stilted as Tammy is. His sock flail still makes me giggle to this day though and if there was a Twin Peaks fighting game that would certainly be his signature weapon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vookatos posted:

Man, people think Leo was bad? Guess since English is not my native language I never really noticed that... Still, I miss the guy. Hope he shows up in the last episode, super old, still holding rope with the spider trap in his teeth.
I mean he was a meathead, but I never found him to be intolerable or anything. The character was a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I was glad to see him suffer misfortune, but the actor wasn't bad at what he had to do.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/NathanFrizzell/status/897156859014074368

Apparently, a soundalike re-recorded Bowie's line from last night's episode. Weird.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Aw I love Leo, the bit in the first episode where he's whirling the sock is still chilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
leo's banal evil was great