Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I got a huge bag of trail mix with a variety of nuts and M & M's and also some jerky that sustained me through my time in the dealer hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

LLSix posted:

I'm planning on bringing stuff to make jamon sandwiches so I can spend more time doing anything but wandering around looking for food. Any suggestions on what else would make for good con' snacks or meals?

To keep your energy up i recommend a 10lb bag of pure sugar

(my go to is usually a couple boxes of protein bars, but i usually go out for full on meals since food tourism is a part of the experience for me)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 11, 2017

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If you aren't making time to eat cool food during the con i'm sorry but you're having BadWrongFun

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If you aren't making time to eat cool food during the con i'm sorry but you're having BadWrongFun

:bisonyes:

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Last year I handled most of my day to day caloric intake with Quest bars, apples, bananas, and Soylent. Which isn't to say I didn't hit up a couple of food trucks while I was there - it's just a hell of a lot cheaper to bring your own food for most of your meals.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Lol just lol if you go to GenCon and don't experience a groverlunch or 3

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Treat Gencon like it's an actual, literal hike through the woods and pack appropriate food based on that. Hunter sausage sticks (aka Slim Jims) or jerky, nuts, protein bars, stuff that packs easily. Have space in your bag for water and try to make it last.

But also, yeah, c'mon, try a food truck or three (or eighteen, like Ilor's kickin' rad wife) and get some grub at High Velocity with goons.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I'll be showing up late Wednesday (assume there's a meetup on Wednesday?); and am still debating like hell over what games to bring. Either way, my default mode is going to be trying to push games on people in the games library as much as possible. Time for groupme I suppose!

EDIT: I need some help figuring out what games to drag out. Here's a list of of stuff that I want to play all of and want to pare it down to stuff people will actually play. I'll be bringing some smaller party games / filler stuff as well (Gravwell, Arboretum, Bling Bling Gemstone, probably not Codenames because someone's gonna have a copy right?)
Food Chain Magnate
Indonesia
Roads & Boats
Antiquity
Great Zimbabwe
Vinhos deluxe
Gallerist
CO2
Kanban
Lisboa
Wildcatters
Arkwright
Mombasa
Container
Archipelago
Argent: The Consortium with expansions
Lignum

If any of these games are something you'd want to play, lemme know.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 12, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

djfooboo posted:

Recap:

2012 Ale of Destiny - Belgian dark ale
2013 Flagon Slayer - Braggot (mead+beer)
2014 Froth of Khan - Brown ale (coffee)
2015 Drink on and Prosper - American blonde ale
2016 20-Sided Rye - Rye (Roggenbier)
2017 Dragon's Delight - Belgian golden ale

Can we go back to some more interesting varietels? I understand quaff-ability is pretty important in August heat, maybe a shandy next year? We could even name it Grapefruit Jungle Meeple or whatever.

No shandy. Not since the incident.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BlackIronHeart posted:

But also, yeah, c'mon, try a food truck or three (or eighteen, like Ilor's kickin' rad wife) and get some grub at High Velocity with goons.
Jesus, yeah, she made it her mission last year. But none of us complained when fantastic cupcakes from that one truck just magically appeared in our hotel room one evening.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Carteret posted:

fuckin lmbo if you aren't pilfering food from sleeping con-goers like a big sweaty raccoon

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Trynant posted:

I'll be showing up late Wednesday (assume there's a meetup on Wednesday?); and am still debating like hell over what games to bring. Either way, my default mode is going to be trying to push games on people in the games library as much as possible. Time for groupme I suppose!

EDIT: I need some help figuring out what games to drag out. Here's a list of of stuff that I want to play all of and want to pare it down to stuff people will actually play. I'll be bringing some smaller party games / filler stuff as well (Gravwell, Arboretum, Bling Bling Gemstone, probably not Codenames because someone's gonna have a copy right?)
Food Chain Magnate
Indonesia
Roads & Boats
Antiquity
Great Zimbabwe
Vinhos deluxe
Gallerist
CO2
Kanban
Lisboa
Wildcatters
Arkwright
Mombasa
Container
Archipelago
Argent: The Consortium with expansions
Lignum

If any of these games are something you'd want to play, lemme know.

I won't get in till late Wednesday but if you will teach/play any of the following during the 17th-20th I'd play:
R&b
Antiquity
Vinhos D
Gallerist
Kanban
*Lisboa
*Wildcatters
*Arkwright
*Container
*Lignum

* games I really really want to play

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It'll be great to see you this year, Quarex, you were missed last time (albeit with very good reason).
:shobon: Thanks!!! I once told my now-spouse that the only reason I would ever skip Gen-Con is if we had a baby then, and I even mentioned "since it seems so incredibly unlikely, I guess it is going to happen" and there you go.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pricing stuff for the auction is a headache this year, I have a number of books that are ridiculously priced on Amazon / Noble Knight Games / eBay to a level where I would be shocked to see anybody pay for. $50+ for a copy of Hacker? Yeah... sure... :rolleyes:
Pricing for the Auction is always a little tricky. The only rule I really follow is that if I would rather be rid of something than get a good price for it, I let it go to the store if unsold; if not, I do not let it go to the store. And even if something should logically sell for like $50 or more I would still only put a reserve at like $20 just in case you get one of the rare auctioneers who does not know to start bidding below the reserve to get people hyped up.

Oh you posted a really helpful guide to pricing things on the next page so I am glad I just decided to put in a general "how to decide whether you care whether you make money" suggestion. Oh and then Sionak also posted good stuff. Hooray!

I hope you are still working on your delightful T.O.V.A. idea. You still have the weekend!

As far as any other pricing suggestions, well, not really about pricing per se, but this is Gen-Con 50. I suspect that memorabilia collectors will be sporting full-on nostalgia arousal this year, and I am basically trying to unload every single TSR-era D&D thing I have that I do not specifically want forever, with the hopefully accurate assumption that people who may have never attended before but have been fans forever will be all too excited to finally own, say, a working copy of the Mattel Electronics D&D Labyrinth!

Trustworthy posted:

This is the part of my annual Gen Con tradition where I regretfully inform Quarex that I'm still not that guy. I'm a slightly different guy with short lame-o hair whom Quarex is, at best, only mildly excited about seeing. :sweatdrop:

edit: I'm chuffed as a lark to see you and y'all, though! :dance:
I am telling you. You are the one that I want. Ooh, ooh, ooh, honey. Well, you know. In the Gen-Con sense.

Trynant posted:

Obviously you are probably in the GroupMe now but it sounds like the most likely Wednesday meetup is going to be "the people who want to get dwarf-quality-drunk all the time," which obviously will sound fantastic to many. I am probably going to be trying to get in as many of my Auction volunteer hours as possible on Wednesday helping set up, personally, and will then go to the Sun King tapping/Lez Zeppelin concert thing on Georgia Street all starting at 5, which I imagine will be a Thing Worth Attending maybe?!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Carteret posted:

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how groverhaus fit into this.

This is a Sesame Street Grover thing, isn't it?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how groverhaus fit into this.

This is a Sesame Street Grover thing, isn't it?

For the uninitiated, groverlunch is as follows:

I had a very good idea, to grab a bunch of goons and go have a nice lunch at Harry and Izzy's. I had six people. Given goons propensity for showing up to things, I called ahead and got a table for eight.

Ten showed up.

Then two more.

Then two more.

As I'm apologizing to the waitress as hard as I can and we are just generally taking up space for quite a while. I may have also threatened to exile anyone who didn't tip well.

As far as how that relates to grover, see groverhaus ( http://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys ) an old GBS project whose designs were so awful it was easier to become an engineer and certify his own crapshack than it was to get it up to code.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, was that 2015? I remember showing up to a Harry & Izzy's lunch where I expected a handful of people and there were seemingly all the people from our entire chat at the same table.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

One and the same.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Here's the games I will have with me. Tried to bring a variety of games to accommodate various player counts and length while still fitting in one tote.

A Feast for Odin
Scythe + expansion
Tiny Epic Quest
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Megaman Pixel Tactics
Onitama
Tak
Mint Works
Valley of the Kings Afterlife
7 Wonders Duel + expansion

Also, I'm searching for a few games, some are out of print or hard to find so please give me a heads up if you see the following for sale anywhere:

Akrotiri
Paperback
Targi
Xia Legends of a Drift System
Deep Space D-6
Arboretum (allegedly this reprint will be available)
Gloomhaven (lol)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Carteret posted:

One and the same.
I am so proud

No wonder I have the vague recollection of having people be surprisingly horrified to see me despite me being So Amazing. Fortunately I am indeed an amazing tipper

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, I'm searching for a few games, some are out of print or hard to find so please give me a heads up if you see the following for sale anywhere:

Paperback

I'm probably bringing my copy with me to play. Fwiw it's in stock on Tim fowers' site if you can't find a copy at the con.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My friends and I made out annual trip to Sam's Club for Con snacks today.
It's officially the start of Gen Con!!!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got all my stuff, I am all ready for Wednesday.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Only three more days of work, uggggh

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Just boarded my flight to Indy. Here's to a crazy week to come, folks. :allears:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Alright, so at least according to the groupme, nothing has been settled about a Wednesday meetup. If so, I'm going to suggest the Rathskeller

Pros:
  • It's got a bar, a beergarden, and a restaurant
  • The food is pretty good
  • The building is rad as gently caress
  • It shouldn't be too crowed
Cons:
  • It's like a mile walk from the convention center

What'dya all think?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Haystack posted:

Alright, so at least according to the groupme, nothing has been settled about a Wednesday meetup. If so, I'm going to suggest the Rathskeller

Pros:
Cons:

What'dya all think?

Im down for Rathskeller but don't rely on the not crowded part

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Haystack posted:

Pros:
Cons:

What'dya all think?

Looks like a cool place.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Stoked again for another GenCon! Come play Heart of Crown at my booth, its really good. We are the Japanime Games Booth. Ask for Rob.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
That Rathskeller place looks super cool and how the heck do i keep not finding interesting places in indi.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Merauder posted:

Just boarded my flight to Indy. Here's to a crazy week to come, folks. :allears:
Wooo! I am here already too! Highest five!

Rathskeller has always been in my mind when in Indianapolis since I have never been to a bad German restaurant, I am nodding at the suggestion. And it will not be (Gen-Con) busy for obvious distance reasons!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The Rathskeller is a fine establishment, worth the Uber or long walk, then you are only short distance away from Mass Ave, one of the best streets in Indy proper.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I tried Rathskeller a year or two ago. Thought the food was pretty meh but the beergarden was dope and it'd be a good meetup spot, weather permitting

Any Indy locals have suggestions for places to eat for people who are pretentious assholes about food? Milktooth and Bluebeard look like your most recent nominees for James Beard awards...good?

Lawen fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 15, 2017

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Lawen posted:

I tried Rathskeller a year or two ago. Thought the food was pretty meh but the beergarden was dope and it'd be a good meetup spot, weather permitting

Any Indy locals have suggestions for places to eat for people who are pretentious assholes about food? Milktooth and Bluebeard look like your most recent nominees for James Beard awards...good?

It's probably an Uber ride away due to distance but you might check out St Josephs Brewery on College Ave? They're kind of a gastropub. I've been three times in the last couple years, but they've had consistently wonderful food and beer.

I've not been to Milktooth or Bluebeard, but I've heard great things about the latter. The one time I tried to go they were closed so welp. If you dig Greek food, there's a place called Santorini's (I think) in Fountain Square that is pretty good too. Last time I was there, I got a gyro that was bigger than the drat dinner plate.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Remember when we went to Sun King in 2014 and had to take a taxi back? The past was wacky.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Rathskeller food is amazing, unless there has been some sort of drop off in quality in recent years. My family would go there for special occasions quite often, a really cool place.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

won't get in til' late, but i'd absolutely loved to try roads & boats and lisboa

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rathskeller's kitchen has either gone downhill (likely) or Indy's food scene has just outshined it so much these days (also likely).

But the atmosphere and history makes it a worthwhile haunt. Drink beer, eat spicy pretzels, listen to live polka music.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
For anyone in town today, I'm gonna try to organize some games this afternoon/evening.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Rathskeller's kitchen has either gone downhill (likely) or Indy's food scene has just outshined it so much these days (also likely).

But the atmosphere and history makes it a worthwhile haunt. Drink beer, eat spicy pretzels, listen to live polka music.

I'm gonna need more convincing, i can do this real easily in WI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sloober posted:

I'm gonna need more convincing, i can do this real easily in WI

http://www.rathskeller.com/
http://www.athenaeumfoundation.org/the-rathskeller/
https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-rathskeller-indianapolis?osq=german

:effort:

• Locked thread