Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Since it's CA you're probably right but I really hope you're wrong. I want a ridiculously complex beast that asks you if you're sure you want to start it when you try and play the combined games.

I hope I'm wrong too but I just plain don't think they're gonna staple new poo poo onto it. I feel like they really don't care for paint-the-map-with-no-challenges gameplay anymore and don't want to just staple new territory/races to the map.

e: and if they did, then why would they not release it at launch?

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

jokes posted:

I hope I'm wrong too but I just plain don't think they're gonna staple new poo poo onto it. I feel like they really don't care for paint-the-map-with-no-challenges gameplay anymore.

I remember reading something to the effect that CA want the Vortex mechanics to exist on the combined map.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
TOMB KINGD

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jokes posted:

It's worth noting that there will likely be 2 new game types with the expansion (grand campaign later), not an extension of the current map. There's an Old World campaign that we know and love that might have a limited inclusion of the new races, the New World campaign that is what we see there, and then some Grand Campaign map that will feature a more balanced/scaled down version of the world but includes everything.

A normal Empire game sees you holding most of the Empire above Blackfire Pass by turn 100-130. When you do so, you're relatively uncontested. The dwarfs tend to be your friends, and the various mountains are relatively easy to raze. Then Chaos comes, and Archaon is a pussy and you'll pretty much handle that without any REAL danger if you have at least two stacks with some degree of armor-piercing to them. You can then resettle any settlements you lost (if you did) and that's about it. It all ends with your entire campaign ending at like 150-180 if you didn't really take your time. At that point, a normal Empire player might consider going further south/west with a dedicated push of troops instead of just defending the borders.

But the issue is that, economically, the Empire will then hold onto enough territory to support an infinite amount of troops. Armies cost roughly 3k, and a province with 3 income supports is roughly 1500 unless you have extra things like trade, or gold mines, or other sources of income increasing that. Needless to say, there'd be very little in the ways of challenge at that point.

Going by the Empire campaign as an example, and assuming the games shouldn't get TOO long, I imagine they'll make a new Grand Campaign thing and that is gonna simplify a lot of the poo poo for the old races and Old World is gonna be a legacy campaign instead of the main show.

I mean, that's part of the reason why I'm not as hot on a multi-game-spanning grand campaign. Using your example for the Empire, by the time I get done uniting the human kingdoms and fighting off the Storm of Chaos, I'm ready to be done with the campaign and start anew. Managing 5-6 armies and a dozen agents and 30-40 cities gets super tedious and the game basically gives me no good reason to go into the badlands and fight orcs (aside from Karl Franz' one quest) let alone throw caution to the wind and sail over to Lustria. At no point would I ever even see Lizardmen let alone see the need to fight them. Same thing with Dwarves and you don't even need the expanded map to hit that point. There's pretty much no reason for Dwarves to ever be in Brettonia or Athel Lorien outside of LL quests because grudge settling a bunch of knights or stomping out a pack of dagger eared pricks isn't conductive to your campaign goal of 'unite the dwarven empire' and you don't really get anything for doing so. You expose yourself, you can't hold any of that land without mods, the money isn't necessarily all that great, and you can be upwards of a half dozen+ turns away from resupply if things go pear shaped.

That being said, the one or two exceptions to that is for the races for whom "unite your empire" isn't the overarching goal. Beastmen, Norse, and Chaos would all be a blast on the multi-game-grand campaign because all you have to do is decide who you want to kill today and set off in a direction. Druthu would work in this context too because he gives precisely 0 fucks about attrition and goes wherever the gently caress he pleases. A mid-sized army back home is enough to hold off any would-be beastmen threats and then army +3 is your rear guard tackling anyone trying to backcap your wood elf outposts once you leave.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I have no problem with an insanely large map where you won't have to run into half the factions unless you decide to pick a direction and see what's out there beyond the horizon.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, that's part of the reason why I'm not as hot on a multi-game-spanning grand campaign.

Pretty much my feeling, I would rather they compressed the map so it's viable to interact with the rest of factions in a playthrough than everything piled up together on a level that would be cumbersome to play when you got to the part where you'd interact with something new to the combined map.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's a great concept I guess but it hearkens back to the stupid games where Milan has conquered everything west of modern-day Soviet Russia and you stop playing the game out of boredom because you're undisputed and you don't want to spend the next 500 turns slogging through settlement after settlement with your elite and disposable armies.

Plus, with a stapled-on bigger world, the time between turns is a lot, lot larger and more taxing on systems which is very annoying. Especially in Legendary mode with the auto-saves.

I'd like a streamlined experience. Empire starts with what is effectively Reikland, Stirland, and Wissenland and is at an uneasy non-aggression with the vamps. To the north, you have Middenland, Nordland, Kislev, and maybe Talabheim as smaller states Empire will likely confederate/conquer. Then the victor of that whole power struggle contends with Chaos, moves onto new lands, etc. Then you'll get to fight Empire as Tomb Kings/Greenskins!

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 14, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly they do plan on adding more interesting victory conditions to the Combined map. Like the Vortex stuff for the new world campaign.

There is a reason why it's not at lanuch. (Namely that it requires some extra work.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The large map will have notably less individual regions and minor factions. You definitely won't have things like 12 dark elf/high elf factions to contend with.

Scale wise it will probably be slightly larger but there is a limit to how big you can get before it's just pointless. Most people don't even finish games on the current map.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They've gotten noticeably better at making the campaign objectives interesting and fun compared to release, so I hope they continue that trend for the GC.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I am very hyped about the campaign map and I am currently excreting copious amounts of sexual fluids

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I don't think Skaven are just gonna fill in the ruins, cuz skaven show up everywhere. Unless the old world gets some skaven injections, which I doubt.

One thing I can't wait for, though, is the whining. There's gonna be some; there's game one factions in game two, unplayable as they are, wah wah why do they get free content. Why don't they show up in game one to make it fair wah wah or whatever.

Gonna be good entitlement reviews

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My bet is with ruins you have occupying forces of weird enemies like dragons and poo poo, and you have to fight them to get whatever loot is inside and only then get to drop a settlement/outpost there. They can randomize this and make the campaign experience more interesting from playthrough to playthrough.

The monster hunts are probably not that far off from the same idea, just more randomized.

It would be extremely cool if they did interesting poo poo with the tactical maps for those areas so the fights felt more unique/different, like having your army split along a bunch of passageways with full FoW.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 14, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Mazz posted:

My bet is with ruins you have occupying forces of weird enemies like dragons and poo poo, and you have to fight them to get whatever loot is inside and only then get to drop a settlement/outpost there. They can randomize this and make the campaign experience more interesting from playthrough to playthrough.

The monster hunts are probably not that far off from the same idea, just more randomized.

It would be extremely cool if they did interesting poo poo with the tactical maps for those areas so the fights felt more unique/different, like having your army split along a bunch of passageways with full FoW.

I'm kinda hoping that skaven settlements won't be visible to other factions on the map. Meaning exploring ruins could lead to treasure, a monster fight, or a skaven ambush

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe it's just an abstracted mechanic to suggest an uncolonized new world.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Maybe it's just an abstracted mechanic to suggest an uncolonized new world.

But warhammer's "uncolonised new world" is full of rats and lizards and elves and god knows what else.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Trying out a Norsca game where i primarily subjugate the other norscan tribes cause it's fun to have them run around, but it's not working out very well. The AI is content to just sit there picking it's nose instead of settling ruins and expanding. Wish CeltiK's AI mods would update, they are a bit more aggressive there with re-settling ruins.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
You know who I don't see on that faction listen?

The Lost Legion that showed up in that Lizardman video awhile back.

Guess that's a confirmation of Dogs of War as DLC2.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I get the feeling rogue armies wouldn't be shown on that map

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Here is a helpful redditors slapdash combined map

Anyway I hope you nerds are all wrong and they don't do any downsizing or faction consolidation on the combined campaign. I want Steppe Wolf levels of unplayable

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Trying out a Norsca game where i primarily subjugate the other norscan tribes cause it's fun to have them run around, but it's not working out very well. The AI is content to just sit there picking it's nose instead of settling ruins and expanding. Wish CeltiK's AI mods would update, they are a bit more aggressive there with re-settling ruins.

I specifically tried to find ai factions with aggressive and ruin-dweller traits but they got replaced by "defensive" and "beaten". One had to rebel against me and be re-vassalized before they were replaced, but they were eventually. My vassals did kill the Crow Challenger for me which was a bit of a laugh. And I only saw the Crow and Serpent lords, not an Eagle, yet, nor has it updated after I killed off those two. I guess I still need to wipe out the Empire.

And my promised Hound RoR was only a double hellcannon battery instead of 4 like I thought. drat. It's still disgustingly good though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

RentACop posted:

Here is a helpful redditors slapdash combined map

Anyway I hope you nerds are all wrong and they don't do any downsizing or faction consolidation on the combined campaign. I want Steppe Wolf levels of unplayable

Fair.

Honestly once they flesh out Araby and Tomb Kings the grand map is going to be pretty excellent regardless. Even if they cut a bunch of minors there are still a bunch that need to stick around to keep things flowing, like the major elements of the Empire, Dwarven Keeps, the different Orc LLs, etc.

Even scaled down by like 40% the map is still going to be really interesting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Is there any good rundown of all the stuff wrong with Steppe Wolf?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there a mod to make the ai colonize ruins more?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ravenfood posted:

I specifically tried to find ai factions with aggressive and ruin-dweller traits but they got replaced by "defensive" and "beaten". One had to rebel against me and be re-vassalized before they were replaced, but they were eventually. My vassals did kill the Crow Challenger for me which was a bit of a laugh. And I only saw the Crow and Serpent lords, not an Eagle, yet, nor has it updated after I killed off those two. I guess I still need to wipe out the Empire.

And my promised Hound RoR was only a double hellcannon battery instead of 4 like I thought. drat. It's still disgustingly good though.

I swear it was 4 batteries when i got it last game, maybe i'm going insane. Going for crow this time.

Also my subdjugated vassals aren't even joining my wars. Just go "eh nah" and leave the vassal arrangement, really feel like that shouldn't be so easy. Oh well, gonna crush them under my mammoths. AI mods cannot update fast enough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It's based on unit size, medium gets 2, large gets 3 and ultra gets 4.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is there any good rundown of all the stuff wrong with Steppe Wolf?

Well for one, the timeline goes from 11ad to 2010 ad (base game goes from 1300 to 1821)

Rookersh posted:

Actually they show up as "New World Colonies"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
With all things AI being stupid, in the diplomacy map you have to explicitly point out war targets. Rarely, if ever, will the AI intercede on your behalf.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Mans posted:

Rome 2, Warhammer, Total War Arena, Alien Isolation and Halo wars are literally the same game, yeah.
Don't forget Stormrise! Or do forget Stormrise, it was kinda terrible.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
After seeing the TW2 map I'm not too fussed about the joined map anymore - so long as every faction is on the vortex map I'm happy just to play that.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Between the New World Colonies and inclusion of Sartossa I daresay Tilea is definitely in. Tomb Kings are a given, obviously.

I still don't know if I think Araby has a chance or not, coin flip.

Island of Amazons isn't even on the map, so RIP.

The fact that Albion even exists is surprising, but there's no way they ever get anything better than an event pop-up.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Goddamn, online games have some of the literal worst people in them.

Lots of Charlottesville lovin maladjusted mother fuckers play that game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What's with the wood elves in the middle of the Southlands?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ibblebibble posted:

What's with the wood elves in the middle of the Southlands?

http://www.solegends.com/citrr/1rr07oreons/index.htm

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

madmac posted:

Between the New World Colonies and inclusion of Sartossa I daresay Tilea is definitely in. Tomb Kings are a given, obviously.

I still don't know if I think Araby has a chance or not, coin flip.

Island of Amazons isn't even on the map, so RIP.

The fact that Albion even exists is surprising, but there's no way they ever get anything better than an event pop-up.

If they wanted to be clever they could use Albion as an Old World stepping off point for the Vortex quest. The 2000 Summer campaign was all about restoring a vortexy thing using Old One magic to hold back the end of the world so it sorta fits.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Its actually kinda insane that CA managed to squeeze in every Game 1 faction into the map, and I love it

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Albion is probably going to be a conquerable province for one reason: It's campaign was about the nexus of vortex laylines on it and everyone fighting over those. That is literally what 2's campaign is all about.

Edit: one thing I just noticed on that map, all the uh... "ruin" factions start with four letters. Oh, I wonder what word might fit there?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 15, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NewMars posted:

Albion is probably going to be a conquerable province for one reason: It's campaign was about the nexus of vortex laylines on it and everyone fighting over those. That is literally what 2's campaign is all about.

Edit: one thing I just noticed on that map, all the uh... "ruin" factions start with four letters. Oh, I wonder what word might fit there?

Ogre.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Boon posted:

Goddamn, online games have some of the literal worst people in them.

Lots of Charlottesville lovin maladjusted mother fuckers play that game.

wargames attract incel mutants who think they could be the next rommel

man this chariot driver is just like ARE YOU GUYS SEEIN THIS poo poo

bret peasant going ham on that horse*****

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is there a mod that makes decent/good normal unwalled cities?

I really liked that in previous Total War games. The AI handled those maps better then the open field maps, you usually had a lot of options on how to progress, it gave you better strategic control over bad situations ( since you could do more with less ), and it just gave the world a bit more place to it.

For example my Odrysian Kingdom campaign, which I survived the nightmare start by just letting everyone attacking my little settlement and suffer fighting my entire army down by the docks.

• Locked thread