Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
New ducktales owns. I never saw the original, so coming in with no expectations or nostalgia, I found it really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
As I was telling my cousin: If they're gonna lean on Donald to carry any of the dramatic weight the show has (what little there is anyway), it's going to run into trouble. But the show is pretty loving great at everything else. Watching Scrooge in action is just an absolute joy, and I love how the show gives him pathos in surprisingly subtle ways.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Donald makes me happy I use subtitles for everything because drat that dude is totally illegible, especially when everyone else has a regular voice. I mean, I don't want them to mess with the classic voice or anything, but I could see it proving to be an issue going forward.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I didn't understand a single word he said, and it didn't really impact my enjoyment of it...

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I know Ballers isn't that great for any reason, but it looks like they're going down a road to really deal with TBI. Ricky keeps forgetting poo poo, like, big poo poo, like what house he lives in. Seems like something they'll have to put some thought in to facing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I understood Donald just fine. But I've watched almost everything Tony Anselmo has probably done as the character outside of video games so I'm used to the voice by now.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Netflix just shot ABC's television department in the face by signing Shonda Rhimes to a multi-year deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

Netflix just shot ABC's television department in the face by signing Shonda Rhimes to a multi-year deal.

Whoa. 'flix out for blood.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Whoa. 'flix out for blood.

Does anyone call it that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wandle Cax posted:

Does anyone call it that

What do you call your blood?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anime is blood.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wrong bodily fluid

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Judging from that post I'm guessing that poster has no interest in whether it's an accurate depiction of autism or anything

but either way Jennifer Jason Leigh rules in every way so wtf

I personally know a bunch of autistic and asperger's people including myself, it's pretty hard to come up with an accurate depiction of such a varied thing. I liked it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Watched the first episode of Mr. Mercedes. Not bad. Could be a great show. I'll stick around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Per Eye of Argon, "the crimson fluid of life".

I also enjoyed DuckTales. While it's only been one episode, it already feels a lot closer to the comics than I think the old series did. I though David Tennant was good, but I still feel like he sounds maybe too young.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think #hannibal is happening

https://twitter.com/neoprod/status/896623882077065218

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gonz posted:

Watched the first episode of Mr. Mercedes. Not bad. Could be a great show. I'll stick around.

I like that there isn't a season long mystery of who the villain is, it's revealed right away. At least I assume it is, I haven't read the book so I suppose there's a good chance of a King twist.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Gin.

X-O posted:

I understood Donald just fine. But I've watched almost everything Tony Anselmo has probably done as the character outside of video games so I'm used to the voice by now.

There was a few times he was completely unintelligible but as long as he keeps flying into a blind rage I'm good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man so far this season of Rick and Morty is the best yet by a WIDE margin. And I completely adored the previous two.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Man so far this season of Rick and Morty is the best yet by a WIDE margin. And I completely adored the previous two.
Season 1 remains my favorite, but this one is better than S2.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bring back old gbs posted:

the full trailer for orc cop movie dropped around comic con and it actually looks not terrible, to the surprise of everybody who ever heard about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

"Hello, Will Smith? You're not getting another Men In Black movie, so this is the best you're gonna get, take it or leave it."

esperterra posted:

And Suicide Squad wasn't entirely Ayer's fault, either. It was gutted and the final edit was done by a company that edits movie trailers.

Not that Ayer's original version would have been some masterpiece, but it certainly would have been better.

Having watched Suicide Squad I have trouble believing there was any possible version of that movie that could be anything approaching "not utter poo poo."

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 14, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

Having watched Suicide Squad I have trouble believing there was any possible version of that movie that could be anything approaching "not utter poo poo."

The speculation and hearsay was that the studio was completely up in his rear end demanding multiple changes and re-writes for whatever reasons they determined as needed. There's no world were that much outside interference would do anything but completely wreck the pacing and core concept. It could've been a Fantastic Four 2003 type film where its not a great or necessarily good film but it was a fun vehicle to see the characters on the big screen.

The all in darkness of the Synderverse (dumb name) is probably the reason the last few movies have been so poo poo, and finally with Wonder Woman and JL they've realized that levity and humor are pretty much mandatory when you've got characters with insane powers throwing trains around, flying all over the screen, and wearing garish and brightly colored costumes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I agree with all that above, but the other change I would have made to Suicide Squad would have them doing some black ops assignment to kill some foreign cabinet/ministry member or something like that instead of a global extinction level threat.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

pentyne posted:

The speculation and hearsay was that the studio was completely up in his rear end demanding multiple changes and re-writes for whatever reasons they determined as needed. There's no world were that much outside interference would do anything but completely wreck the pacing and core concept. It could've been a Fantastic Four 2003 type film where its not a great or necessarily good film but it was a fun vehicle to see the characters on the big screen.

The all in darkness of the Synderverse (dumb name) is probably the reason the last few movies have been so poo poo, and finally with Wonder Woman and JL they've realized that levity and humor are pretty much mandatory when you've got characters with insane powers throwing trains around, flying all over the screen, and wearing garish and brightly colored costumes.

No, they realized that before Suicide Squad opened. Part of what inspired the reshoots was the response to the lighthearted Bohemian Rhapsody trailer that was cut for the movie. The lesson that WB took from BvS wasn't "Hey, maybe big blockbuster movies should actually make sense and not be cut down to just the big actiony parts" (I will defend the Ultimate Cut of BvS any day of the week), but rather "GRIMDARK BAD," causing them to wildly overcorrect on Suicide Squad at a point where you should really be locked in on the tone of whatever movie you're trying to make.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I prefer grimdark to the factory manufactured Marvel movies. Man of Steel is great, except for the ~20 minutes or so of lovely parts.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

i prefer to not have this conversation

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's going down, chat peop...

See you in three days, thread

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also this isn't the place for movie discussion.

An annoying thing about Amazon's HBO streaming add on is that sometimes it messes up Last Week Tonight and doesn't put up the latest episode for a couple of days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It could turn horrible but Get Shorty just won me over in the first episode with Topher Grace showing up as a terrible direct to DVD actor with delusions of grandeur.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, the Good Omens adaptation Amazon's doing cast Michael Sheen and David Tennant.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Who's who?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sheen is Aziraphale and Tennant is Crowley.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nice, although I could see it go the other way just as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

Oh poo poo, the Good Omens adaptation Amazon's doing cast Michael Sheen and David Tennant.

Sold.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I dropped 2010's Nikita at the beginning of the second season. Liked the first one well enough, but for some reason I stopped watching and never caught up.

I just did a quick search and I see Season 4 is only 6 episodes long of which the last is called "Canceled"; was the show actually cancelled, or did it get a short S4? Is it worth watching the rest after S1? Does it have a proper ending? (and is it good?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Sheen is Aziraphale and Tennant is Crowley.

Since we'll obviously never get the Robin Williams/Johnny Depp version of Good Omens, I will certainly take this. My only worry is that Tennant is a bit too lighthearted to be Crowley.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I dropped 2010's Nikita at the beginning of the second season. Liked the first one well enough, but for some reason I stopped watching and never caught up.

I just did a quick search and I see Season 4 is only 6 episodes long of which the last is called "Canceled"; was the show actually cancelled, or did it get a short S4? Is it worth watching the rest after S1? Does it have a proper ending? (and is it good?)

Nikita is great all throughout. The second season is easily the best though. The show had very low ratings though so a fourth season was pretty much never going to happen except it turned out that it was one of the President of CW's favorite shows and they got a small last season to wrap everything pretty much for that reason alone.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Been meaning to check Nikita out. That the CW made a remake of a Canadian television adaptation of a Luc Besson movie tickles me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

Well I'm glad somebody is enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

X-O posted:

Nikita is great all throughout. The second season is easily the best though. The show had very low ratings though so a fourth season was pretty much never going to happen except it turned out that it was one of the President of CW's favorite shows and they got a small last season to wrap everything pretty much for that reason alone.

Good to know it wasn't axed mid-season and got a chance to wrap up at least. Thanks, guess I'll be putting it back on the list.

• Locked thread