Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Check for hantavirus :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

How do packing peanuts end up there in the first place? Even on a rebuild, I have no Ideas?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Applesnots posted:

How do packing peanuts end up there in the first place? Even on a rebuild, I have no Ideas?

When I bought it, it was on a barn floor with no heads or intake. There was crankcase access around the cam. Still didn't expect to find that in there. Life... uh.. will find a way.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Applesnots posted:

Mice.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Lots of questions. What does that smell like? Am I crazy that it seems like the in-focus piece on the last photo is the jaw of a decaying mouse skeleton and fur?

How is the engine usable with that much crap everywhere? Are you going to pressure wash every inch?

Is the brown poop-like substance absolutely everywhere disgustingly foul oil mixed with dirt?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 14, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Michael Scott posted:

Lots of questions. What does that smell like? Am I crazy that it seems like the in-focus piece on the last photo is the jaw of a decaying mouse skeleton and fur?

How is the engine usable with that much crap everywhere? Are you going to pressure wash every inch?

Is the brown poop-like substance absolutely everywhere disgustingly foul oil mixed with dirt?

There's definitely hair in there, but I haven't seen any bones yet. It smells like old burned oil, plus a good whiff of that rat smell that is hard to describe. bio-grease, i guess.

I'm not going to try to clean it myself. I'm going to shake out the chunks and throw them in the garbage. There are engine builders around my area who can sandblast and hot-tank the block and all the parts.

The brown stuff is mostly oil, with lots of stuff mixed in. Probably mostly turds.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Horrible Mechanical Failures: Probably mostly turds

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How to jump start a car in Yemen,

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

They're not using the auditory alert fuse modules :gibs:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Lime Tonics posted:

Either that or they really don't like batteries.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Of course it is a 1980s Toyota Hilux

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Friendly reminder not to leave gas grills in your car, on hot days.

Something might go wrong.

edit : wait, it's stupider than that,

ORLANDO, Fla. — A man and his wife were burned Sunday when the woman lit a cigarette, sparking an explosion of a propane barbecue grill being transported in her SUV. The wife lit a cigarette as they left a barbecue at the Central Florida Fairgrounds on West Colonial Drive. The grill exploded moments later, police said. The blast caused the driver to crash into a pole. The vehicle sustained extensive damage. The couple was rushed to Orlando Regional Medical Center, with injuries described as not life-threatening, police said. Police said the grill was turned on and the propane tank was open in the back of the red Kia Sorento as the couple left the barbecue. The vehicle sustained extensive damage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lime Tonics posted:

Friendly reminder not to leave gas grills in your car, on hot days.

Something might go wrong.

edit : wait, it's stupider than that,

ORLANDO, Fla. — A man and his wife were burned Sunday when the woman lit a cigarette, sparking an explosion of a propane barbecue grill being transported in her SUV. The wife lit a cigarette as they left a barbecue at the Central Florida Fairgrounds on West Colonial Drive. The grill exploded moments later, police said. The blast caused the driver to crash into a pole. The vehicle sustained extensive damage. The couple was rushed to Orlando Regional Medical Center, with injuries described as not life-threatening, police said. Police said the grill was turned on and the propane tank was open in the back of the red Kia Sorento as the couple left the barbecue. The vehicle sustained extensive damage.

Good one, Bargearse.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Florida, 'nuff said.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good one, Bargearse.

He's gone to get a poo poo load of dim sums in the sky.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trying to avoid a mechanical (or user) failure, but not sure where else to post this: what usually pops tires on gravel/sketchy roads?

Doing a lot of forest service roads on my summer adventure and started thinking about it and had no good answer, especially because I've never had a flat on a bad road.

Is it partially buried boulders? Sharp gravel strewn about by graders? Random tree branches? Washboards? Going too fast? Slamming brakes?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It depends on just how bad the road is but all of my off-road tire failures have been partial debeads from gravel slides, most often the situation where a rock gets trapped under the bead and bleeds the tire down.

Actual full on rock crawling off-roading I wouldn't be surprised to see a tire puncture from sharp rocks. I have seen others blow a tire from driving over the broken end of a branch.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I've seen them from the broken off stubs of lower branches still attached to trees tearing into sidewalls and poo poo.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We've got shiiiiitloads of roads in aus which are nothing more than high speed gravel and pretty much it boils down to tyre pressures

Too high and you'll get star fractures from sharp gravel pounding into the tread face. That inevitably leads to a massive blowout because of the surface you dont notice the tyre getting more and more flat until it gets too hot and the sidewalls fail. Tyre choice will go a long way in mitigating that effect- you see a lot of guys in the outback running big mud terrains, as they tend to have the toughest carcasses and the big tread blocks both keep the tyre face off a lot of the gravel and also stop rocks getting lodged into the tread and being hammered through the tyres. Passenger style tyres are just a bad idea, they're soft and not really strongly constructed. The trade off of the big muddies is you tend to get a lot more stone chipping on the tread blocks.

Ive probably done 75-100K kms of gravel driving over the years and never had a puncture, but im always dropping my tyre pressure as soon i know im doing a long stretch of driving on outback roads. For example my landcruiser loaded to the hilt with poo poo for an outback expedition would normally run 45psi front, 55psi rear in my 285/75R16 mud terrains. If im doing a big section of gravel i'll drop them to 35/45 and its not low enough to cause issues with handling, but saves a heap of damage to your tyres.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Bolts, nails, and screwdriver shafts. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Godholio posted:

Bolts, nails, and screwdriver shafts. :(

That sounds like one rough dirt road! Or are you hill climbing scrap metal?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
People are slobs and burn pallets wherever the hell they want, including on dirt roads for some reason.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

xzzy posted:

Trying to avoid a mechanical (or user) failure, but not sure where else to post this: what usually pops tires on gravel/sketchy roads?

Doing a lot of forest service roads on my summer adventure and started thinking about it and had no good answer, especially because I've never had a flat on a bad road.

Is it partially buried boulders? Sharp gravel strewn about by graders? Random tree branches? Washboards? Going too fast? Slamming brakes?
I commute over 30 kms of rough unformed road every day (A Subaru Forester has been the best performer I have owned so far. My road literally kills vehicles :rip: Forerunner, Jimny, Outback, Daewoo, Holden Commodore). I can get as much as a puncture a month. They are almost all from metal debris :rolleyes: that I probably pick up in town on tar. The rest are mostly sidewall punctures from sticks. I dispute that dropping pressures is a good plan. Run at nearly the maximum pressure for the tyre as rated by the manufacturer and NEVER run over sticks is my best advice based on fifteen years of the above.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gravel holds debris upright when on a paved road it would lay flat.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'd say appropriate speed and paying attention to the road surface are most important. hitting a big sharp rock at high speed would cause an issue. driving down smoothish gravel or dirt probably won't.

Depending on tire size you can use light truck tires. there are a few that are small enough for foresters and outbacks and such.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What about a Prius? :v:

I tend to be pretty skittish because I know what the car is and is not and it's wearing all weathers. But I've been fine on 100+ miles of gravel this trip, and during those miles it got me to wondering what typically causes flats (as I dodge anything taller than two inches).

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Saw a 2003 Mercedes E 200 that was MOT-inspected four months ago, with these:

left front

right front

This must also be due to gravel, right? riight?...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

xzzy posted:

That sounds like one rough dirt road! Or are you hill climbing scrap metal?

I would watch the hell out of that sport :black101:

Godholio posted:

People are slobs and burn pallets wherever the hell they want, including on dirt roads for some reason.

£20 magnetic floor sweeper mounted in front of each wheel :science:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

underlig posted:

Saw a 2003 Mercedes E 200 that was MOT-inspected four months ago, with these:

left front

right front

This must also be due to gravel, right? riight?...

Owner borrowed good wheels and tyres from a friend for inspection.

Or the vehicle was repaired Russian style and viewed from above would be a trapezoid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Friend is in Euro Car Parts buying bits. Guy at front of queue is asking for loctite for his caliper bolt. Yes, bolt. Because apparently he only has one of the two in a fit state to use. :stare:

IPCRESS posted:

Yes. Early 2000s Merc in the UK? Seems to attract a certain type of person.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IPCRESS posted:

Or the vehicle was repaired Russian style and viewed from above would be a trapezoid.

You only need to have tread across 3/4 of the tyre, so it could have passed with those as bald areas as long as the cords weren't showing at the time and it wouldn't take long for the lovely alignment to wear them through to the steel.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

xzzy posted:

Sidewalls encountering something sharp or gravel getting under the bead of the tyre and you get a slow leak as a result.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Guy buys an $80,000 Mercedes and foolishly thinks that Germany engineering can withstand rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKaKeEizu5I&t=136s

Bummer...how much will that cost to repair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l3zPQczQL4&t=310s

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sidewalls encountering something sharp or gravel getting under the bead of the tyre and you get a slow leak as a result.
Rare but not unknown option: Scumbag NIMBYs putting barbed wire and DIY stinger strips hidden on lanes/trails. And yes, these are places used by MTBs, horsey people, walkers etc too. There's some right twathammers out there.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cartoon posted:

I commute over 30 kms of rough unformed road every day (A Subaru Forester has been the best performer I have owned so far. My road literally kills vehicles :rip: Forerunner, Jimny, Outback, Daewoo, Holden Commodore). I can get as much as a puncture a month. They are almost all from metal debris :rolleyes: that I probably pick up in town on tar. The rest are mostly sidewall punctures from sticks. I dispute that dropping pressures is a good plan. Run at nearly the maximum pressure for the tyre as rated by the manufacturer and NEVER run over sticks is my best advice based on fifteen years of the above.

The sidewall punctures will be because your running your tyres too hard. Cranking them right up to nearly the max pressure not only makes the ride absolutely obnoxiously harsh but it prevents the tyre from being able to deform around something sharp and absorb the impact, instead it just pierces straight through.

Theres a perfect example, thats lower pressures so the tyre is able to mould itself around that piece of rock. At highway pressures, that wouldnt mould over anywhere near as much and that sharp rock is putting all its force into a much smaller area of the tyre.

That said, i've seen someone put a railway spike clean through a tyres tread face at 25psi. Not much you can do bout that when the road your on is literally on the old rail line and all they did was grade it flat!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spog posted:

Guy buys an $80,000 Mercedes and foolishly thinks that Germany engineering can withstand rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKaKeEizu5I&t=136s

Bummer...how much will that cost to repair?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l3zPQczQL4&t=310s

The fact that this guy is upset it's going to total is funny. Nobody should ever want to keep a water damaged salvage car.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I worked at a tire place years ago and had a guy come in for a patch job, I poo poo you not but I pulled a mangled spoon out of his tire. A loving spoon! You cant patch spoon holes dude. Its bad luck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The guy paid 88k for the car new and the engine is 71k? Wtf

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Horrible Mechanical Failures: You Can't Patch Spoon Holes, Dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004