Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Pesticide20 posted:

Reminder that the army has trillions of dollars of money unaccounted for on the books.

Just hand receipt everything down from the Chief of Staff down to the lowest private. 800 page long chain of 2062s for each piece of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My company sensitive items sheet was 15 pages. That was for a guard unit's monthly check, and was not the entire property book. 800 pages might cover the first battalion.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

tastefully arranged labia posted:

My company sensitive items sheet was 15 pages. That was for a guard unit's monthly check, and was not the entire property book. 800 pages might cover the first battalion.

I'm saying that each item would have 800 sheets.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I am tired from flying today and cannot read :downs:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I remember one time we were putting every little thing on 4856s or whatever the broken equipment form is.

Your pistol grip has a scrape on it? Write it down.

Your barrel has a scratch on it? Write it down.

Did the gorilla tape leave residue on your acog? Write it down.

Oh your flashlight isn't the same shade it was when you initially got it? Write it down.

This was after deployment so I figured it was normal but nothing ever got replaced and I fired the same m4 with all the same accessories until I left the company.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Nah that's a counseling form, 5988 is the maintenance one. If your unit actually has money and your paperwork makes it to the right people then your poo poo will get turned in and fixed. This year we had money that we never had before so tons of poo poo got fixed.

Every time you go through recovery you're supposed to fill out 5988s for all of your equipment, otherwise nothing will ever get fixed.

Some people bitched about moving over to the GCSS Army system but with the new 5988s you can actually see when parts are ordered and whatnot.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Know how I can got around that? Don't issue poo poo to soldiers. They can't break it if they they don't have it. Easy peasy.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hey, look! If we all pool our stuff together, we can make one complete set of BII for this thing!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Last week we kept using one fire extinguisher to pass BIIs.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Enjoy your statement of charges during the next change of command you idiot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The last time I was signed for property it was over 40 pages of property and in excess of 2,500 end items or so and the vehicles outnumbered personnel by about two to one.

:smithicide:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Enjoy your statement of charges during the next change of command you idiot.

I'm just a private, plus also this was the change of command, lol.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

I'm just a private, plus also this was the change of command, lol.

Congrats, your new commander might just be a dope.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It makes me happy that I don't know what form number does what. It means I'm forgetting :)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If you have to pass around a fire extinguisher I wonder how accurate that dudes shortage annexes are.

And layouts 101 is looking at everyones at the same time so they can't use the same one

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Well, if the new CO signed for it... :lol:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

And layouts 101 is looking at everyones at the same time so they can't use the same one

I was annoyed when I had a BDE commander telling me that and I literally had a battalion+ of equipment and about two platoons of personnel.

I haven't received a bill and the new commander's been there for a while, soooooo

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

Well, if the new CO signed for it... :lol:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Reading old FLIPL investigations is often a good laugh. There are some boring ones like "blah blah didn't notice tools missing, blah" but the really good ones include poo poo like "Failed to inventory all equipment before signing. When a HMMWV could not be located following services, unit scoured motor pool and discovered three vehicles, which were not on the property book, and had been signed for four years by a unit in a different state. Both commanders displayed gross incompetence. Commander's sworn statement said those vehicles must have arrived in last week or so by accident, but surveillance footage showed they were parked next to his vehicle for at least 60 days prior."

Also: The worst supply sergeants are awful and miserable crooks and liars. The best supply sergeants are savvy and tactful crooks and liars.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We're 11 months in on an inventory management project for a client of mine and just from the loving nightmare of their poo poo I couldn't even imagine what it would take for the DoD to have the slightest bit of accountability for its items. I mean, wow.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My supply sergeant just keeps giving me BII I don't want to fill out my shortages. Not a single piece of BII that has come in for me has been in any way useful, just more stupid poo poo to keep track of. For whatever reason strykers come with a retarded amount of BII and a lot of it is never used.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What is BII I can't remember

Is that stuff for trucks?

Let me stroke my gently caress-you-if-ur-still-in beard and think about this...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

My supply sergeant just keeps giving me BII I don't want to fill out my shortages. Not a single piece of BII that has come in for me has been in any way useful, just more stupid poo poo to keep track of. For whatever reason strykers come with a retarded amount of BII and a lot of it is never used.

He's doing you or at least your commander a favor. You can write MFR after MFR that says "don't want, is waste of tax money," and you'll still be on the wrong end of a FLIPL if the incoming person calls you out on missing BII or COEI.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It's all of the stupid poo poo that comes with a major end item. So like the slave cables for a HMMWV or some random wrench that comes with a PLS. It always gets lost.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

basic issue stuff

pioneer gear, jacks, lug wrench etc

basically

psydude posted:

It's all of the stupid poo poo that comes with a major end item. So like the slave cables for a HMMWV or some random wrench that comes with a PLS. It always gets lost.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

He's doing you or at least your commander a favor. You can write MFR after MFR that says "don't want, is waste of tax money," and you'll still be on the wrong end of a FLIPL if the incoming person calls you out on missing BII or COEI.

It's stuff that was on our shortage annexes, don't know how we could be responsible for it if we never had it and the paperwork backs it up. Well, until the items came in and got taken off our shortages anyway.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Haha inventory

Once saw a commander relieved in the span of three days after taking command because of it. Was funny as hell also he was an annoying moron so I'm glad his career got destroyed over lying about an axe or whatever else those poor bastards are responsible for keeping track of

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Doing layouts for a bunch of TK-17s was always miserable. They are dumb toolboxes full of poo poo that never got used yet somehow went missing. Nobody could even identify a good 20% of what was in there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
oh yeah basic issue items

i remember it as stuff for trucks because we spent like an entire day once doing layouts of truck BII and when we were missing something our guidance was "find it"

sorry A Co, but C Co needed that poo poo more than you did at that time.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

oh yeah basic issue items

i remember it as stuff for trucks because we spent like an entire day once doing layouts of truck BII and when we were missing something our guidance was "find it"

sorry A Co, but C Co needed that poo poo more than you did at that time.

The few times some things were missing during layouts I just tell them they need to find it or pay for it.

When we lay those items out again at the end of the week we always end up having them all. I never ask any questions.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Have a friendly relationship with the off post pawn shop owner.

I got an entire initial issue (IBA + plates, all the MOLLE stuff, etc) for 400 bucks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

It's stuff that was on our shortage annexes, don't know how we could be responsible for it if we never had it and the paperwork backs it up. Well, until the items came in and got taken off our shortages anyway.

Shortage annexes don't mean poo poo if they were signed without a valid order status or FLIPL or field/battle loss statement or official statement of obsolescence. It probably wouldn't hammer an nco or LT but if a commander shortages everything away on annex without substantiating documents, that's a roll of the dice.

The more you know.

I am super looking forward to my hand receipt being like one computer, a monitor, a printer, and my personal issue poo poo when I got my next unit.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

I am super looking forward to my hand receipt being like one computer, a monitor, a printer, and my personal issue poo poo when I got my next unit.

I turned in 3 duffel bags of crap a month ago. :smuggo:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My cat sleeps in the barracks bag/laundry bag thing. I was going to throw it away, but apparently he thinks it's the best thing ever.

Okay thanks for reading.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mlmp08 posted:

Reading old FLIPL investigations is often a good laugh. There are some boring ones like "blah blah didn't notice tools missing, blah" but the really good ones include poo poo like "Failed to inventory all equipment before signing. When a HMMWV could not be located following services, unit scoured motor pool and discovered three vehicles, which were not on the property book, and had been signed for four years by a unit in a different state. Both commanders displayed gross incompetence. Commander's sworn statement said those vehicles must have arrived in last week or so by accident, but surveillance footage showed they were parked next to his vehicle for at least 60 days prior."

Also: The worst supply sergeants are awful and miserable crooks and liars. The best supply sergeants are savvy and tactful crooks and liars.

we were once playing musical units and redeployed into an arms room that had belonged to another unit that was currently deployed. we had everything we were supposed to have but there was an extra M9 in the pistol rack. when we ran the serial it came up as having been a combat loss three years prior.

i told the commander i could solve the problem if he would just go to the bathroom for 10 minutes but he was one of those honest guys (and so his career never progressed past company commander) and we managed to track it down. it was a resreve COL's personal weapon, he deployed with it as an individual augmentee then went home without it and it had been in this pistol rack overseas for years. it was a unit located in BIAP so associated units all over iraq were always sending people on leave or whatever and they were leaving their weapons in that rack, so no one thought anything of it if there were extra weapons in it until the whole rack got sent home with our pistols in it. that loving arms room. ask me about the time some random dude went to Kirkuk with one of my guy's ACOG while my guy was on leave then got mad when i flew to Kirkuk to take it back because he'd signed a hand receipt and that made it his

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I remember having to leave my M4 and all my poo poo in Kuwait or something for leave and I just wanted to bring it all home cause it felt wrong leaving it with a bunch of Army people. That's just asking to get your poo poo stolen

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Ask me about the time during multiple med lab draw downs how I found a unsecured trailer full of comsec encrypting gear and other commo related items (SB-22's, field phones, and teletypes).

Commanders response?

"Oh. That's where they went. Go ahead and put them back."

:suicide:

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Was in (PE) therapy @ VA but stopped halfway. Going to try again in a few months when outside life is at baseline.

Man that poo poo is hard-work, some mental health puppet-master type poo poo. Just gonna keep going in, I skipped an appointment last week, poo poo was just too loving hard to do.

Hope everyone is well. Anyone around or familiar with Brevard in Florida? I am single now looking to figure this place out here in Melbourne as to where the cool spots are.

*tips fedora

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Active shooter at Fort Stewart by CIF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Kaliber posted:

Active shooter at Fort Stewart by CIF.

Odds he got turned away over a "dirty" piece of gear trying to clear?