Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
choke me till my eyes water on your brand and have me come back for more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

qirex posted:

fun thought experiment: try to name the three individual components of the current app store icon without peeking

the whole point of an icon is to use abstraction to provide an easy to distinguish identifier

knowing the history of firmware secrets im surprised they havent leaked the design of the next watch in the apps icon yet

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Pinterest Mom posted:

jony you fuckup this looks like a mid-2000s era corporate rebranding

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/897145699011264513

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
apple's print & web ad teams: ruining the iOS icons since iOS 7

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 14, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Doc Block posted:

apple's print & web ad teams: ruining the iOS icons since iOS 7

I'd like to thank jony ive for being a live, ongoing demonstration of the peter principle.

imo their icons are fine, the only one that really bugs me is photos

the design problem I have with modern ios is the removal of interactive UI cues like button borders, etc. like I had to have someone tell me that the call status on the lock screen is a link to the phone app a lot of those old borders and drop shadows were hints that you could interact with a thing

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
are all those icons smaller than what's in iOS 10 or does it just look weird?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pram posted:

it's actually two hard drives in a logical volume shagger

whoa

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Stymie posted:

also, catch up on your goddamned emails

lol 113 ain't poo poo. my wife has 71000 unread emails.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

are all those icons smaller than what's in iOS 10 or does it just look weird?

no

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Elder Postsman posted:

lol 113 ain't poo poo. my wife has 71000 unread emails.

probably spam for penis enlargement pills

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I loving hate how in iOS 11 when you swipe down it just shows your lock screen instead of the notification thingo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

jony you fuckup this looks like a mid-2000s era corporate rebranding

https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/897145699011264513

oh I just noticed maps is different too, I think I like that one better

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

and they removed the lines from the camera

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"the flatter the better" - jonny ive (probably)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

"the flatter the better" - jonny ive (probably)

this accurately describes his physical appearance over the decades so i believe this

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i wonder what percentage of iphone users check stock prices regularly enough to use an app for it, but don't mind that you can't buy or sell from within the app

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

fun thought experiment: try to name the three individual components of the current app store icon without peeking

the whole point of an icon is to use abstraction to provide an easy to distinguish identifier

a fountain pen, a paint brush, and a line presumably representing a slate/canvas/notepad. meant to represent the tools (i.e. apps) you'd find in the store.

i mean it's not great but there's slightly more of a coherent thread than what appear to be popsicle sticks

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

it's also an homage to the original mac default application icon

Susan Kare :allears:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
recently got a new mac at work to replace one that kept hanging at random and sometimes would also hang when rebooting from a hang. had to make a special request for one without micro peripheral connectors becaues I have to use it for embedded developmng over a USB port (a different story that hopefully I can tell someday)

one thing i've noticed moving from el crapitan to sierra is that drag highlighting w/the trackpad no longer works. at all. the input sequence that has done that ever since I used monochrome macs around 1990, now calls up some some useless dictionary poo poo

gently caress u steve for killing yourself and making macs bad

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pinterest Mom posted:

oh I just noticed maps is different too, I think I like that one better

yea looks like they moved the location depicted in the icon from the old apple campus to the new one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i wonder what percentage of iphone users check stock prices regularly enough to use an app for it, but don't mind that you can't buy or sell from within the app

widgets, my man, widgets are where its at

Gazpacho posted:

recently got a new mac at work to replace one that kept hanging at random and sometimes would also hang when rebooting from a hang. had to make a special request for one without micro peripheral connectors becaues I have to use it for embedded developmng over a USB port (a different story that hopefully I can tell someday)

one thing i've noticed moving from el crapitan to sierra is that drag highlighting w/the trackpad no longer works. at all. the input sequence that has done that ever since I used monochrome macs around 1990, now calls up some some useless dictionary poo poo

hmm, that highlight is a three finger salute i thought. are you going from the old trackpad to the force touch one? it took me a while to get used to the way that works

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
they make force touch trackpads now?

:stonk:

another reason i'm gonna hang on to my 2012 mba forever and ever

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

youre doing it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

are you going from the old trackpad to the force touch one? it took me a while to get used to the way that works

it is absolute dogshit garbage.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

three finger drag is an accessibility option now, for some reason

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i keep mouse touch scrolling off because it's too sensitive for my liking, but also this gives me regular insight into how stupid mac users are when they stroke the mouse and nothing happens so they do it again and again and again and again amd again

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

force touch trackpad is the worst

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

I do it a dozen times a day. I like the links to news stories. why would you want to buy and sell from the app? you'd have to log in every time and it would defeat the purpose of having a fast view of your stocks.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

There Will Be Penalty posted:

they make force touch trackpads now?

:stonk:

another reason i'm gonna hang on to my 2012 mba forever and ever

yeah, i dont like it but I can tolerate it. just feels mushy all day

infernal machines posted:

it is absolute dogshit garbage.

agreedo, my mba big button was peak trackpad and they need to iterate a lot more to match that quality

Pinterest Mom posted:

three finger drag is an accessibility option now, for some reason

yeeeeeaaaah, that was a pain to discover after the more recent releases. the real quandary is why that didnt persist as a setting through the release for existing systems. they must have known people use three finger drag else they would have removed it fully to reduce useless choices for the user

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

apple makes the greatest and most advanced trackpads in the world

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

force touch trackpad is actually extremely good, imo.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Agile Vector posted:

yeeeeeaaaah, that was a pain to discover after the more recent releases. the real quandary is why that didnt persist as a setting through the release for existing systems. they must have known people use three finger drag else they would have removed it fully to reduce useless choices for the user

i'm running sierra 10.12.6 and i don't remember having to turn it back on or are you talking about high sierra betas or some poo poo?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Elder Postsman posted:

force touch trackpad is actually extremely good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Elder Postsman posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

yep, it's really nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
force touch is terrible and feels like cheap garbage.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Elder Postsman posted:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

I do it a dozen times a day. I like the links to news stories. why would you want to buy and sell from the app? you'd have to log in every time and it would defeat the purpose of having a fast view of your stocks.

idk seems like the news app would be better suited to news stories? why check stocks a dozen times a day with no intention to act on the price changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
more like... let me think about this... more like farts touch trackpad

• Locked thread