Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
thats 3 out of 5 with terrible dads so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Homura and Sickle posted:

I'm sensing a theme

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Homura and Sickle posted:

let's be fair, chise's dad might not have been terrible just on the wrong side of history

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I knew what was going to happen the second I saw the Duke's secretary, but it still ended up being pretty sad. This was a pretty pretty low-key episodes compared to the preceding ones, but it still held my attention really well.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

let's be fair, chise's dad might not have been terrible just on the wrong side of history

Chise probably would have considered him to be a terrible dad if he hadn't fought her to the death.

https://twitter.com/kuroboshi/status/896732544770519041

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

I really like this show but I'm finding it increasingly hard to suspend my disbelief that their enemies haven't figured out who they are yet.

Their enemies aren't clairvoyant. They get maybe a few reports of suspicious people with no real distinctive characteristics hanging around places they probably shouldn't. Not exactly a slam dunk. Like I'm kind of curious what people think are the super-obvious clues they keep leaving behind.

For example, in this episode, it's not like anyone on Normandy's side actually saw anything that happened in the morgue. What could actually have given them away? Him mentioning his daughter off-hand? Why would they have any reason to think that's relevant?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

AnoHito posted:

Their enemies aren't clairvoyant. They get maybe a few reports of suspicious people with no real distinctive characteristics hanging around places they probably shouldn't. Not exactly a slam dunk. Like I'm kind of curious what people think are the super-obvious clues they keep leaving behind.

For example, in this episode, it's not like anyone on Normandy's side actually saw anything that happened in the morgue. What could actually have given them away? Him mentioning his daughter off-hand? Why would they have any reason to think that's relevant?

1) At least twice now (I think three times if you count the ball where they first met) there has been a sequence of events where the princess shows up with her friends, and then some espionage happens. Not a super-obvious clue, but definitely something which should be raising eyebrows.

2) Not just mentioning his daughter, but mentioning his daughter who he never thought he'd see again, and whose reappearance he described as "miraculous". Again, not in and of itself a massive clue, but it correlates with point (1): young women/girls appearing immediately before something suspicious happens. Though in this case, they should avoid suspicion since they had the good sense to leave the cipher for Normandy rather than just outright stealing it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

wielder posted:

I have been enjoying the show a lot, but as in most spy stories...I can imagine they still have some double or triple crossing cards left to play. It would also tie into the relative inactivity of the antagonists. They must be counting on something like that.

Yeah, I feel like you don't typically see a show like this without someone being a double agent. Chise's at least partially in that role with her ties to her country, but to me Beato seams like the most likely candidate if that happens. Duke could have something on her as leverage, or have convinced her that turning against princess actually keeps her safe, etc.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

The_White_Crane posted:

1) At least twice now (I think three times if you count the ball where they first met) there has been a sequence of events where the princess shows up with her friends, and then some espionage happens. Not a super-obvious clue, but definitely something which should be raising eyebrows.

Two of those incidents are also places where a whole shitload of people happened to be, including the Duke himself. There's no real reason to take note of Princess specifically. And obviously someone does have some sort of clue, seeing as how the climax of the very first episode is the team foiling a counter-espionage mission targeted at them.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

AnoHito posted:

The kingdom's security services should be looking into the background of the princess's friends in the interest of her safety. It'd better be some really convincing fake backgrounds they have, to account for how these random school friends turned out to be super-capable bodyguards during the train attack.

After the train attack the Kingdom should have given the princess's bodyguards/friends a thorough debriefing, including asking hard questions like "how come you have a magic flying orb that we didn't give you?".

Previously, there's been enough odd about them that the kingdom should be keeping track of them, and therefore know that Dorothy is going to the morgue. In any case, even though as it happened none of Normandy's people did see her with her father, it was super-risky since they easilky could have and then the jig would be up.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I do not know, I mean do they have a professional spy service or similar at all? Or is it a case of the duke having taken up the role then having a dozen or so henchpeople allocated to intelligence plus the ability to draft in soldiers or police as required?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
we in America have omniscient computers spying on everything and we still often fail at counter intelligence

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

paragon1 posted:

Two of those incidents are also places where a whole shitload of people happened to be, including the Duke himself. There's no real reason to take note of Princess specifically. And obviously someone does have some sort of clue, seeing as how the climax of the very first episode is the team foiling a counter-espionage mission targeted at them.

The Principal team took the bait in to their headquarters, whose very existence was put at risk. And what if the defector sent out the carrier pigeon immediately after he was taken in, instead of after the route across the wall was planned. The entire team would have been compromised. That was way too risky.

The tradecraft this episode was fine. Though you'd think the duke would have alot more agents within the morgue to screen for more bodies.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Maybe I'm being too harsh. The bad tradecraft occurs when they start blowing poo poo up and attracting attention, and the very concept of action spies is fundamentally absurd. Whatever, this show is fun.

I really liked this episode. Dorothy and Beatrice are the most human of the characters, while the other 3 put on unreadable masks that only slip under duress. And Dorothy managed to square away both her hidden side and her human face in this one episode.

Also, it's 5 out of 5 for lovely family members. Recall that Ange and Charlotte effectively came from the same family (the same family that starts up wars of conquest across Europe with their armored dirigibles).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I feel like this discussion of realism in spycraft is kind of undercut by the genre being popularized by a character who goes around dramatically revealing his real name as a catchphrase.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

They haven't been discovered yet because it's not yet dramatically appropriate for them to do so. There I solved it

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I feel like this discussion of realism in spycraft is kind of undercut by the genre being popularized by a character who goes around dramatically revealing his real name as a catchphrase.

yeah at this point everyone bartenders should be hitting their silent alarm buttons as soon bond, james bonds turn up at the counter

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
They could just see Dorothy's dad as a drunk trying anything to get more money out of the deal.

Using the princess's handmaiden so blatantly means we probably shouldn't be digging too far into it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Qwertycoatl posted:

The kingdom's security services should be looking into the background of the princess's friends in the interest of her safety. It'd better be some really convincing fake backgrounds they have, to account for how these random school friends turned out to be super-capable bodyguards during the train attack.

After the train attack the Kingdom should have given the princess's bodyguards/friends a thorough debriefing, including asking hard questions like "how come you have a magic flying orb that we didn't give you?".

Previously, there's been enough odd about them that the kingdom should be keeping track of them, and therefore know that Dorothy is going to the morgue. In any case, even though as it happened none of Normandy's people did see her with her father, it was super-risky since they easilky could have and then the jig would be up.

The only people who saw poo poo all in that incident are dead, Japanese and at odds with Normandy, or part of the Principal team.

Phobophilia posted:

. And what if the defector sent out the carrier pigeon immediately after he was taken in, instead of after the route across the wall was planned.

Then they would have confirmed his true colors even sooner. They were obviously watching for something like that.

But yeah agreed on the genre making good tradecraft be not much of a concern.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

paragon1 posted:

But yeah agreed on the genre making good tradecraft be not much of a concern.

Oh absolutely. I mean, the whole point is that it's crazy and fun, not a serious John le Carré Animé.
(I'd totally watch that.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The_White_Crane posted:

Oh absolutely. I mean, the whole point is that it's crazy and fun, not a serious John le Carré Animé.
(I'd totally watch that.)

You say that, but I can't help but feel that was what Joker Game was trying to be, and I'd much rather watch Princess Principal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's internally consistent, but they are sloppy enough that they can be exposed at any point and have it make perfect sense.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/okayu715/status/897143954445025280?s=09

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
At least it's not Team Monopoly Man.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

paragon1 posted:

At least it's not Team Monopoly Man.
Have we run into any commies or anarchists in this show?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Nope. It's been all Gilded Age Capitalists, Shoguns, Victorian Queens, Galactic Imperial Commanders, and lesbians.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

jng2058 posted:

You say that, but I can't help but feel that was what Joker Game was trying to be, and I'd much rather watch Princess Principal.

that's because Joker Game basically did not have any more ideas than being a serious spy story, nor was it that great at being such. as a result, the show was 'The Wikipedia Article On Espionage: The Anime'

whereas Princess Principal has things like, characters, who interact, and an overarching story

Also I'm very glad that no, just because episodes have chronological numbers, that doesn't mean that it's going from 1-13 (this week was Case 18). I like to think episode 1 being 13 was made to intentionally throw people off like that what with primarily introducing our liar main heroine

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grouchio posted:

Did you see any?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Praise the Machine Spirit.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Fordism and feel-good economics. Not bad. Ange's acting was also amusing.

I can't help but think this is all the calm before the storm though.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 20, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Just some really good kids working to overthrow the government.

Do we know how long this is gonna be? I think I can say with some confidence now that if they can keep up this level of quality, I would not mind a second cour in the slightest.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I think some of the soldiers are a bit small. Maybe the girls could have posed as them after all?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
That moment where Marilla just walked away from Chise after she knocked out the guy was hard to watch

Also I'm glad Franky keeps getting his poo poo pushed in

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please remember to separate your Beatrices from your colors before starting your laundry.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Those jerks made Beato do all the heavy lifting when they serviced the machines. :argh:

Fun episode, though I'm hoping we shift into more of an overarching plotline soon, getting a bit bored of one-off eps. Delinquent!Ange was extremely good.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
so this was 16, 2 before their other encounter with franky. wonder if he's gonna be a presence going forward chronologically, and if his goon ange apparently stabbed in the last episode survived

Spiritus Nox posted:

Those jerks made Beato do all the heavy lifting when they serviced the machines. :argh:

Fun episode, though I'm hoping we shift into more of an overarching plotline soon, getting a bit bored of one-off eps. Delinquent!Ange was extremely good.

i like the one off structure cos it allows the show to experiment with tone a lot. this was borderline feel good slice of life after the sorta hosed up storyline last episode

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 20, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

I think some of the soldiers are a bit small. Maybe the girls could have posed as them after all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXypyrutq_M

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So apparently Ange's last name is le Carré which is just too good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

also

and

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The thirst is strong with the second from left.

• Locked thread