Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Dude, we haven't even gotten to the First Act. This isn't victory, this is people trying our best to make someone's death less tragic. I'm stepping on eggshells here so let me put it this way: people are condemning things because of the violence and the fact it resulted in death, there is no guarantee that they are against the racist ideas espoused when removed from that. If the rally happened and no one died, there probably would not be this much push-back and probably quite a few people saying we should give them a chance or some poo poo like that.

What we're seeing is people recognizing they went too far this time, but how far will this pushback go? And, does this stop the same bullshit from happening but when they keep their Nazi flags at home and don't hurt people? Is this an awakening or will people go back to Pearl clutching when they stop acting openly violent and Nazi?

What I'm saying is this is not a victory. Even if this ends entire movement, I wouldn't want to consider this victory because an innocent woman died in some thing that there should be no risk of death over. And, we're not even close to that benchmark of ending the movement. To these Nazis, this is just a series of roadblocks that the White House and the right-wing media are going to help them remove.

That is why we keep fighting. America is under existential threat and our government does nothing. If we are to protect ourselves, we must continue protesting. We should not seek to start violence, but we should be prepared for it for enemy are murderers.

We must persevere or the Democracy by the people, for the people, and of the people will perish from this Earth and I don't want to live in a world where that happens.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I didn't mean this was The Victory, I said "this is what victory looks like". The alt right being forced into a position of public shame where they are pushed down. Having their platforms denied, and their employment terminated. It's about their views becoming socially unacceptable. Like that racist apple tree thing.

I totally agree that we need to keep fighting and that democracy must be preserved. I know the battle has a long way to go. And I known that pushing them back underground and making them hide their opinions rather than wear them on their sleeves has its own complications, but this is what a step in the right direction looks like. They are retreating due to a vocal majority finding their positions abhorrent. They hosed up. They could have kept the Nazi stuff out of it and made life so much easier for themselves. But they're stupid and they didn't.

Can I ask what victory looks like to you? Realistically, what could happen that would give you hope?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump is such a disgusting person even alexandra petri can barely muster up a joke

https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/897249811358986241

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://twitter.com/ykarps/status/896568422183686144

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

evilweasel posted:

nixon's vp resigned but not to run against him, jefferson didnt resign but campaigned against adams as his vp (back when the second place got vp)

Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr were supposed to be the President and VP of the Democratic Republicans with one elector witholding a vote for Burr, but they hosed up making it so they each got equal votes and sending it to the House to decide. The Federalists who were still in the House decided to sabotage it and vote for Burr so the vote tied again and again and again over a dozen times, forcing Jefferson to make a deal with the Federalists to break the tie.

There ws some bad blood between Jefferson and Burr after that.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 15, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/897251283127730178

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there any precedence for a VP resigning during a term, or breaking off and running for office against his President?

No, but there was that one time VP Richard Hawk usurped president Michael Wilson using a giant robot, then rennovated the White House into the FIGHT HOUSE

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i'll do you one better:

https://twitter.com/UnderArmour/status/897250195787964416

i expect more over the next few days

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sorry, too busy

https://twitter.com/mutablejoe/status/897039431856771073

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Do we have any solid numbers of how many Nazis showed up at Charlottlesville? I wanna know how hosed we are.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:drat:

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/897242274886803457

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

That under armour thing is actually a pretty huge deal.

Support from America's Leading Men of Business was pretty crucial to the Trump narrative.

Feels like things are changing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the black husserl posted:

That under armour thing is actually a pretty huge deal.

Support from America's Leading Men of Business was pretty crucial to the Trump narrative.

Feels like things are changing.

a lot of other ceos have agreed to stay on, and off the record said theyre afraid of his ragetweets

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Can you imagine spending all this time to call in every ambulatory fascist you can find for a show of strength only to see your enemy spontaneously mobilize in force across the country? These assholes must be terrified right now.

Kale
May 14, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

He'll make a big deal of how he backed Kim Jong Un down because he's a real leader not like Obama, but the media only wants to talk about some Nazi terrorist murder on US soil.

This is a given

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

i'll do you one better:

Is this like when a Fox News host loses sponsors

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

evilweasel posted:

a lot of other ceos have agreed to stay on, and off the record said theyre afraid of his ragetweets

i think these ceos would rather stay on the board, but if the story remains in the news and gains momentum, they'll resign. there's a bigger danger in alienating potential customers than there is being the ire of a trump tweet

and the more people resign, the more it highlights those remaining on the board

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

lizardman posted:

trump has to scrape off the underarmor decal that he agreed to paint on his naked chest

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lizardman posted:

Well Trump's already on vacation.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just keep thinking of that shirt somebody made where Vince Carter is dunking on Trump instead of poor ol' Frederic Weis

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
WELCOME HOME TO NEW YORK, FUCKER
https://twitter.com/deray/status/897237344750841861

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Didn't one of the more visible nazis in C-ville wear their logo on something? It seems really familiar.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Do we have any solid numbers of how many Nazis showed up at Charlottlesville? I wanna know how hosed we are.

Quite the opposite, my man! They loving stumped for this event. It was supposed to be a show of dominance and instead they were simultaneously humiliated and exposed for the violent white supremacists they are. Some of that was counter-organizing, but a large part of it was the regular citizenry of Charlottesville telling them to get hosed. While they were hurriedly deleting their social media profiles, the good people of several other major cities in the South also told them to get hosed while several city governments introduced "A Bill to Further Remove Symbols of Hate and Express the Sense 'Get hosed.'"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Quite the opposite, my man! They loving stumped for this event. It was supposed to be a show of dominance and instead they were simultaneously humiliated and exposed for the violent white supremacists they are. Some of that was counter-organizing, but a large part of it was the regular citizenry of Charlottesville telling them to get hosed. While they were hurriedly deleting their social media profiles, the good people of several other major cities in the South also told them to get hosed while several city governments introduced "A Bill to Further Remove Symbols of Hate and Express the Sense 'Get hosed.'"

On the other hand, a woman died. Not sure it was worth it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Didn't one of the more visible nazis in C-ville wear their logo on something? It seems really familiar.

Think there's a direct correlation or is this just this dude gettin' out while the gettin is good?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sephyr posted:

I mean, lots of people wear Under Armour gear. It would be like saying one of the Nazis was wearing a Nike logo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ReidRansom posted:

I've mentioned before that I'm familiar with this dude, but I don't recall if I've mentioned this. I know for a fact that he was investigated by either the Victoria PD or the Victoria County sheriff for improper relationship with an underage girl. Wasn't charged, but I think they ran him out of town, which is why he ended up in College Station. Also he was scammed/catfished out of thousands of dollars by teenage Russian girls (or scammers pretending to be). He's in his 50s. Dude is a proper creep in addition to being a shithead.

thats seems to be a trend. most of the nazis are weird incel mra types and/or weird sex creeps.

QuoProQuid posted:

i'll do you one better:

yeah me too. more will leave. hope all of them leave. surprised how much this is hurting trump.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Can you imagine spending all this time to call in every ambulatory fascist you can find for a show of strength only to see your enemy spontaneously mobilize in force across the country? These assholes must be terrified right now.

It's only a minor relief that these may be the dumbest Nazis to ever Nazi in history.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Now that Kevin Plank of Under Armour has resigned from President's Manufacturing Council,he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF PRICES OF MENS UNDERWEAR!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, lots of people wear Under Armour gear. It would be like saying one of the Nazis was wearing a Nike logo.

True, but these creeps appropriated Pepe, video games and freaking MILK. Just wasn't sure it wasn't a thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yep. they hosed up. trump is unpopular as gently caress and trying to use him to come out as proud nazis isnt a smart move. then they commited violence and acted like big hateful babies and murdered a woman and injured dozens more. now they are probably hosed.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Hard to argue with that point. I imagine it will get worse too as they realize that 80% popularity in Hobbsnot, KY doesn't translate to the broad mandate they thought it would.

Edit: But my thoughts were upvoted SO MANY TIMES!

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

I know comments on Twitter are meaningless but a lot of these are pretty depressing.

Concern trolls and "antifa are the real fascists" one person unironically asking why we can't compromise with Nazis.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Maybe I wasn't clear. I didn't mean this was The Victory, I said "this is what victory looks like". The alt right being forced into a position of public shame where they are pushed down. Having their platforms denied, and their employment terminated. It's about their views becoming socially unacceptable. Like that racist apple tree thing.

I totally agree that we need to keep fighting and that democracy must be preserved. I know the battle has a long way to go. And I known that pushing them back underground and making them hide their opinions rather than wear them on their sleeves has its own complications, but this is what a step in the right direction looks like. They are retreating due to a vocal majority finding their positions abhorrent. They hosed up. They could have kept the Nazi stuff out of it and made life so much easier for themselves. But they're stupid and they didn't.

Can I ask what victory looks like to you? Realistically, what could happen that would give you hope?

I wouldn't say the things today haven't given me hope, but I wouldn't call anything victory until people like Bannon, Trump, sessions are removed from office since they are pushing a white supremacist agenda and succeeding in subtle ways that a lot of people can't see. I would also not call it victory until people like alt right are pushed into a fringe minority of the Republican party that have no power. Essentially, they become impotent or vanished. The reality is democracy is fragile and so is freedom. There will never be a victory for the threat of its destruction is ever present. What got us here is the belief that everything was fine and we could be complacent. In my mind, these last few years have taught me that there is no such thing as victory or as such, but an endless war to preserve Freedom our ancestors died to create as well as an endless war to ensure that freedom is given to all Americans equally.

I'm not saying I'm without hope, I am saying that I don't believe in Victory anymore, only an endless struggle for a better tomorrow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

true, but if i died protesting a bunch of nazi fuckheads and was murdered by one. id want my death to be their deathknell and gently caress their entire movement. her's may have. she is martyr now and belongs to the ages.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Madkal posted:

Yea I am not to up on American laws (being a Canadian) but if someone were to draw giant swastikkas on a synagogue;s doors and say "Die Jew Die" I would think that that would be a hate crime too.

Suppose I did that. Can you prove I hate Jews, and not that I hate specifically the rabbi at that synagogue and wanted to write whatever would hurt him the most?

Hate crimes are super hard to prove, and generally rely on the perpetrator having a journal.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

n4 posted:

Isn't Dreamhost goon owned?

I'm friends with one of the founders and as far as know he's not a goon. But politically he would fit in in this thread.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I don't think I saw this gem in the thread as yet?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/897223558073602049

edit: Gingrich with the thermonuclear take
https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/897257484439519233

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

ya the under armor dude figured none of the trumpist neckbeards were wearing his gear anyway

look for the American Fedora and Trilby Hat Makers Guild to stay on his little advisory committee tho

• Locked thread