Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Hopefully, it's okay to ask a general shop questions here...Is there any sort of standard etiquette regarding pull lists and having your books sold to other customers?

I've been going to the same place for over a decade now. I buy somewhere between 20-25 books a month. I pick up my comics every 2 - 4 weeks, and have always been told this is fine.

For the first few years I would just come in and buy whatever. Sometimes I'd ask hey do you have X book and I'd be told I think I've got one on hold. The book would be sold to me and I'd leave; always assuming that the book would be reordered / replaced in whoever's pile it was taken from. Fast forward, and I've had my pull list for around 7 years or so now. A 2nd location has been opened, and it's business as usual except for the fact that now when I'm picking up my book I'm almost always short a book or two.

On one hand I realize that if someone has cash in it behooves a business owner to make money then and there, and I've benefited from this practice in the past. On the other hand I've been a customer for over a decade and have never not picked up my books / not paid for anything I said I would. It didn't really bother me until recently as I've gotten behind on about half of the things I'm reading while trying to fill in holes / missed issues. Do I have a legit complaint about missing books here or should I just deal with it?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's pretty crappy customer service to sell someone's book that they reserved.

That said, if you're waiting a month to pick up your books, I don't really hold it too much against them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's possible the missing books were shipment shortages it damages. Just his week every copy if Secret Empire #6 arrived massively damaged.

I bet I have like two people who I'll be livid about that.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

It's pretty crappy customer service to sell someone's book that they reserved.

That said, if you're waiting a month to pick up your books, I don't really hold it too much against them.

Rhyno posted:

It's possible the missing books were shipment shortages it damages. Just his week every copy if Secret Empire #6 arrived massively damaged.

I bet I have like two people who I'll be livid about that.

I guess I should mention that I live about 60-75 mins away. So I can't get there after work, and they don't open until 11/12 on the weekends. It's a pretty big time commitment to get out there, especially if I've only got a few books out that week.

I hadn't considered shortages or damage. I'll just continue to deal. Thanks for the feedback.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We bought yet another collection yesterday.

A BSS favorite was in it

And this amazing, very high grade book of some significance as well

We've also started to expand our buying to included statues and figures,, business is booming and we're responding in kind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

A BSS favorite was in it

Trigger warning this poo poo

quote:

And this amazing, very high grade book of some significance as well

We've also started to expand our buying to included statues and figures,, business is booming and we're responding in kind.

This is cool though. How much?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Skwirl posted:

This is cool though. How much?
20 cents. It says right on the cover.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

A BSS favorite was in it

How much?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

business is booming and we're responding in kind.

Comichron are saying comic sales are down. You're not experiencing that? http://blog.comichron.com/2017/08/dark-days-tops-charts-as-direct-market.html

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Have there been any surprise hits lately?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Comichron is only talking about monthly sales of new comics. I imagine Rhyno's new sales are down just like everyone else's. That's probably why they are branching out to vintage comics and collectibles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our Marvel sale are in the shitter. DC is steady. Everything else is up and down month o month. Vintage is exploding.

Luke Cage is in might fine shape so we priced it at $300.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Our Marvel sale are in the shitter. DC is steady. Everything else is up and down month o month. Vintage is exploding.

Luke Cage is in might fine shape so we priced it at $300.

Oof, can't afford that. If it doesn't sell in the next couple months I'll pay $100.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll let you know if it's still here. We're probably gonna get it graded though

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

A BSS favorite was in it

In this issue, Ms Marvel gets what every woman truely wants!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Toys R Us shopping spree ad is killin me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

In this issue, Ms Marvel gets what every woman truely wants!

Horrifying PTSD and the certainty that internalised misogyny is inescapable?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any semi accurate price guides out there these days? I'm thinking of getting my New Mutants 98 graded and wouldn't mind going through my database of books to see if I have anything I forgot that I might as well send in at the same time. I have a bunch of Uncanny X-Men from 50-150, so I know there's a few gems there, but I'd like something easier than going through eBay.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

You can go to MyComicShop.com and search by title and series, but that's just what they're selling them for. That's no guarantee you'll get the same for yours. Your best bet is to look through eBay's sold listings for a realistic expectation.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

A BSS favorite was in it

Why are there 2 copies of it...? :gonk:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

irlZaphod posted:

Why are there 2 copies of it...? :gonk:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/378698431822180352?lang=en

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Horrifying PTSD and the certainty that internalised misogyny is inescapable?

Yea, Shooter thought this was a positive story for Carol. There's that great essay on it abd the Marvel untold story devouts a good chunk to it as well.

Thank God for Claremont.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm a little irritated at my local comic shop. I had Cap America: Steve Rogers on my pulls and I know it's transitioning into just being Captain America again with issue 25. I didn't go get my pulls last week and grabbed them today. No Captain America in there and they're completely sold out. I mean, I would think it's common sense to see that I'm reading one title that is just changing name and numbering and still pull it for me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Back when Greg Pak was doing Planet Hulk/World War Hulk, I had his Incredible Hulk on my pull list. When Loeb's Hulk book started up, someone at the shop put that in my pull without me asking them to, simply because I was buying Incredible Hulk. I didn't notice and accidentally bought the first issue. :(

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

pubic works project posted:

I'm a little irritated at my local comic shop. I had Cap America: Steve Rogers on my pulls and I know it's transitioning into just being Captain America again with issue 25. I didn't go get my pulls last week and grabbed them today. No Captain America in there and they're completely sold out. I mean, I would think it's common sense to see that I'm reading one title that is just changing name and numbering and still pull it for me.

I don't blame them for thinking Captain America #25 follows Captain America: Sam Wilson #24 and not Captain America: Steve Rogers #19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Heathen posted:

I don't blame them for thinking Captain America #25 follows Captain America: Sam Wilson #24 and not Captain America: Steve Rogers #19

...Wait, they're cancelling the Steve one, but rebranding the other one to be about Steve? Is #20 not a round enough number? Why not just have Sam Wilson #25 just be the first Falcon issue? Gah, I'm normally OK with relaunches, but this is just dumb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yesterday a Diamond field rep came into the store. Long story short, since they instituted Tuesday delivery we have been secret shopped 8 times. We passed all 8 shops with a 9/10 or 10/10. He also candidly told me that none of the other shops came close to that so I feel pretty great about that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are they just trying to see if you sell comics early or is it a general secret shopping thing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Are they just trying to see if you sell comics early or is it a general secret shopping thing?

They charge us $4 a week to fund the secret shopper program to enforce no Tuesday sales. That's the main focus of the SS program. Hell I just had a dude on Tuesday badgering me to sell him some books early. I think we got a 9/10 because I let a guy look at a new release.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

They charge us $4 a week to fund the secret shopper program to enforce no Tuesday sales. That's the main focus of the SS program. Hell I just had a dude on Tuesday badgering me to sell him some books early. I think we got a 9/10 because I let a guy look at a new release.

How often do you have people bugging you about comics on Tuesdays that aren't secret shoppers?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I hope they don't go into my comic shop on Tuesdays before a big release like Metal because I always go in there a day early to read anything like that so I can avoid spoilers easier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

How often do you have people bugging you about comics on Tuesdays that aren't secret shoppers?

Every other week? There's always somebody I don't know asking to one of us to do them a favor "because I can't make it in tomorrow."

Fun Fact: My brother went into another local shop and purchased new releases on a Tuesday as a test for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've only done it once when I had to run to my hometown for a funeral for a friend, and was leaving Wednesday. The manager let me take a few home and put them through with my credit. That was exceptional circumstances, I'd never ask to even see something before release day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We bought yet another collection today. This fine piece of history was in the second box.

It's had a pretty good uptick in value due to the new series, a good score!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Every time you post it pains me thinking of the poor dude who is selling his childhood away. You'll take my 5 copies of Bloodshot #1 out of my cold, dead, Cheeto encrusted hands.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Every time you post it pains me thinking of the poor dude who is selling his childhood away. You'll take my 5 copies of Bloodshot #1 out of my cold, dead, Cheeto encrusted hands.

The last few have been pretty sad stories, a dead dude, several lost jobs. I don't actually know the story on this one, my boss paid for them and left them for me to process.

Side not: I have so many back issues to process that we might have to hire on someone to do the new comic work.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's a bummer, but I kinda suspected it. How do you determine what price you pay for collections? Do you look through a few or is it a total grab bag bulk sale?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

That's a bummer, but I kinda suspected it. How do you determine what price you pay for collections? Do you look through a few or is it a total grab bag bulk sale?

Pretty much. I try to flip through every single book so I don't miss a key/valuable issue. We'll grade and price the "good" stuff and then make a combined offer on all of it. We try to make as good of an offer as possible as we want the seller to feel good about letting the books go.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm just glad back issues have a market these days. My shop went new books only a long time ago, I miss the joy of the hunt of digging through dollar boxes hoping someone didn't notice a high value book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

I'm just glad back issues have a market these days. My shop went new books only a long time ago, I miss the joy of the hunt of digging through dollar boxes hoping someone didn't notice a high value book.

Locally there is a shop that is considered the best back issue store in the northern half of Indiana. But they stopped giving a gently caress and offer people 10 cents on the dollar so we're kicking their asses.

• Locked thread