Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

geeves posted:

The rapist from 13 Reasons Why is in hell because he raped.

Stop, that's the same actor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like we're going to get exactly that on the main show, no need for spinoff :)

Eugene pokes his head up through a manhole

Eugene: Well, that was a harrowing 6 month off screen escape. Thanks for the assist Dolphy!

Hitler: Vas not a problem meine freund. Now time to go back to hell because I am still bad.

Eugene: Yes, you are evil, but we are still friends who had many wacky adventures, off to find Preacher k bai.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I thought the tattoo of "TRACY" on Eugene's back was a nice touch. He's literally wearing his 'sin.'

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JossiRossi posted:

Eugene: Well, that was a harrowing 6 month off screen escape. Thanks for the assist Dolphy!

Hitler: Vas not a problem meine freund. Now time to go back to hell because I am still bad.

Eugene: Yes, you are evil, but we are still friends who had many wacky adventures, off to find Preacher k bai.

Hitler: "Tell everyone that I am nutt so bad anyee...you know what, bad idea - nevermind."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought the tattoo of "TRACY" on Eugene's back was a nice touch. He's literally wearing his 'sin.'

Yep. Plus its a classic prison look so it shows that Eugene is being hardened by his time in Hell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

I totally think they'll get out of hell then we'll find out that Hitler's been playing Assface the whole time and he'll go into an angry classic Hitler speech style rant.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also can't decide if the Zagnut thing was related to Beetlejuice at all. It's the candy bar he lures the fly in with.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

JossiRossi posted:

Mein :eng101:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
like i know that jesse and tulip never talking to each other about their problems is an established part of their relationship, but it's getting really tedious having them take turns with this conversation every handful of episodes:

A "So......you doin alright?"
B "...................................i'm good, yeah"
A ".......that's good........good......."
*starts to walk away*
A "i'm gonna go do _________, wanna come?"
B "................nah........you go ahead"
A "......."
B "........"
A "okay, see you...."
*eventually having a blowup 1-2 episodes later*

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

How long has Eugene been in Hell? It seems like such a short time, but I guess time could work differently in Hell

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

How long has Eugene been in Hell? It seems like such a short time, but I guess time could work differently in Hell

A running theme when it comes to Hell in fiction is that even a few seconds passage in real time can feel like months or years in Hell.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
My guess is Hitler leading him out of Hell is a half reference to Larry Niven's version of The Inferno. Dude in that get's led though Hell by a guy named Benito Mussolini and dude thinks he's betraying him at one point but Mussolini was actually on the up and up and got him to the beginning of purgatory. Then went back to lead other people that weren't that bad there and such.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fried Watermelon posted:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A running theme when it comes to Hell in fiction is that even a few seconds passage in real time can feel like months or years in Hell.

Even without time-dimension-fuckery, He's been there what, a few weeks of Earth time at least? Which seems pretty reasonable. Enough time to get tatted up and talking to Hitler but at the same time the Hell management is trying to fix their cells and poo poo, so probably not super long.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The Jessie and Tulip stuff is kind of dragging. Starr stuff made last weeks episode and Hell saved the last. Maybe I'm just impatient.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

nah, there's really been nothing even remotely compelling in Jesse and Tulip's plotline for a while. thankfully the supporting cast is so strong that their inaction isn't completely taking over the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season started off so well but now it's almost as loving boring as the previous one. THIS IS A ROAD TRIP STORY WHY AM I HALFWAY THROUGH THE SEASON AND THEY'RE STILL IN NEW ORLEANS (disclaimer that I just finished 7 and haven't seen 8 yet)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I liked season 1 enough but yeah this one's going nowhere (:v:). I could barely bring myself to watch last episode and there wasn't much that rekindled my interest. There's no conflict to keep you engaged, just glimpses of familiar (to comic readers) characters and locations that tease conflict at some point in the future but welp gonna have to watch five more episodes until that maybe pays off. I don't even know if it's the extension to 13 episodes that's doing this, feels like the material we're getting would have barely filled 8.

There's this trend in adaptations these days that you change things from the source as much as possible, and that's all well and good if you can pull it off (see: Fargo S1), but in Preacher's case, following the source a little closer would have actually gotten us some tension at this point, whether adapting the New Orleans storyline or setting one of the others there.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Personally, I'm kinda curious about the results of cassidy's dilemma and whom is shamus?

Brother?, Sire?

but amc has this bad habit of camping.

worst case is The walking dead season 02/03.

they finally get off their duffs and be proactive and don't think it's worthy of recording, but decide to show up after they done all their wins off screen.

so washed my hands of twd.

preacher still has a few interesting points that hopefully will start showing through.

it's the closest we have to a quintin tarrentino tv show and way better then the comic thus far.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Is it hell, it's a meandering pile of shite that's wasting its potential. The lead is trash, the supporting cast mishandled and every good change they make (Arseface and Hitler, Cass & Dennis, Fiore) is countered by a load of tedious nonsense and worse characterisation. For all its numerous faults, the comic had a strong set of opening stories with some excellent pacing. This is just a snooze in comparison.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's no real antagonist yet. We had the Saint of Killers but he's been dealt with somewhat unceremoniously (for now, I imagine), and anyway the way that was handled felt quite deus ex machina. You've got the unstoppable killing machine after Jesse, how's he gonna get out of it? Here's the episode where we reveal he has no soul and also the Japanese are dealing in souls and their van is parked right outside. And we got Starr who so far is more the promise of a villain to enter the scene, we're eight episodes in and still wondering how he's gonna fit in with Jesse and the others, what he wants, and there's not too much time left to reveal that and deal with him.

Season one had Odin Quincannon and he showed up in every episode doing something. We'd get gradual reveals that he had dealings with the Custers, or we'd just get a scene of Odin being Odin, but there was obviously stuff brewing* and he'd, you know, interact with the protagonists.

Yeah, you know what, I think I'm gonna give the rest of this season a miss unless I hear that things are both starting to happen and getting exciting in a different way from "something's gonna happen any minute now."

*in a pit under Annville

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

"something's gonna happen any minute now."

"Like a ten inch dick, I'd have to see it to believe it."

Herr Starr is probably the only thing that can save this show at this point.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The preview for tonight looks like it will give Jessie something to do, so I have hope that the main plot will finally pick up.

Now lets see how wrong I am.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
On the tarp :ohdear:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Whose house did they drone?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

Whose house did they drone?

They said - Harry Connick Jr.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I know but I didn't really hear it and I don't know who that is.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

I know but I didn't really hear it and I don't know who that is.

He's a crooner-style singer and now a talk show host.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

He was Captain Jimmy Wilder, in Independence Day. :patriot:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mallratcal posted:

He was Captain Jimmy Wilder, in Independence Day. :patriot:

And the tail gunner in Memphis Belle...and *one* of the serial killers in Copycat...*and* the voice of Dean in The Iron Giant.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They are nailing it on the Grail. Starr's actor is AMAZING. The grail agents are fantastic. Saving the show.

Tulip is still a huge drag, agh.

I was so worried when Dennis got shot, but so happy to see that he was already vamped.

The stuff with Dennis playing music and them telling him to turn it off was the worst bullshit manufactured drama though. Like come on dude.

Also LOL that Starr scene.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Like a ten inch dick, I'd have to see it to believe it."

Herr Starr is probably the only thing that can save this show at this point.

And he's doing everything he can.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
For whatever reason, the text in the German newspaper at the beginning (which unlike Le Monde doesn't exist), consists almost entirely of a bad translation of Poe's "Cask of Amontillado". Also, while it's March 2017 in France, it's March 2018 in Germany. :D

Also, does anyone know who the French professor is? I'm getting a serious Sean Astin / Mark Hamill vibe.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 15, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Geschäft
Von Doyle Franken

?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The stuff with Dennis playing music and them telling him to turn it off was the worst bullshit manufactured drama though. Like come on dude.

That's literally the joke though. Action scenes with incongruous music are massively popular, so they have the characters getting all pissed off with the bloody racket while they're trying to concentrate, and the fight scene is a complete red herring. And we have long dramatic tracking shots of....a guy walking round a house checking on his mates. Scene was hilarious.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
"No, Cassidy, the Genesis is not meant for saving your dying son, it's for far more important things, like dealing with my girlfriend without having to actually interact with her. Oh and sending, teenagers to hell, can't forget that."

Christ, Jesse is such an rear end in a top hat. Has he ever done anything good in the entire series so far?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Capilarean posted:

"No, Cassidy, the Genesis is not meant for saving your dying son, it's for far more important things, like dealing with my girlfriend without having to actually interact with her. Oh and sending, teenagers to hell, can't forget that."

Christ, Jesse is such an rear end in a top hat. Has he ever done anything good in the entire series so far?

I'll give Jesse the extreme benefit of the doubt and say that he was concerned with using Genesis on Dennis and making the situation even worse. Like saying "STAY ALIVE" or "BE HEALED" and having Dennis still be trapped in the same body that's slowly deteriorating from age, but still be unable to die from any one specific ailment.

But that's an extremely generous view of Jesse's actions. He didn't really know whether Tulip would be able to wake up again on her own after giving her the sleep command. He's just doing whatever he wants because he thinks the mission to find God is the only mission that matters compared to the others.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I really hope they get Tulip out of this funk.

Tonight's episode was so great. Featherstone (the lady Agent) clearing the jam while the other guy just stood there was a really fun scene along with the Dennis Cassidy father/son moment.

I'm hoping we get another Big Bad that's not The Saint but we will see.

Some of this may be covered in the comics but I hadn't read those in years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's literally the joke though. Action scenes with incongruous music are massively popular, so they have the characters getting all pissed off with the bloody racket while they're trying to concentrate, and the fight scene is a complete red herring. And we have long dramatic tracking shots of....a guy walking round a house checking on his mates. Scene was hilarious.

I will say the fakeout between BRAD being the cleaner or being the fat guy and then being neither was good. It just seemed like Dennis putting on stupidly loud music just when they were about to fight was a bit much.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'll give Jesse the extreme benefit of the doubt and say that he was concerned with using Genesis on Dennis and making the situation even worse. Like saying "STAY ALIVE" or "BE HEALED" and having Dennis still be trapped in the same body that's slowly deteriorating from age, but still be unable to die from any one specific ailment.

But that's an extremely generous view of Jesse's actions. He didn't really know whether Tulip would be able to wake up again on her own after giving her the sleep command. He's just doing whatever he wants because he thinks the mission to find God is the only mission that matters compared to the others.

He was asking him to send him to heaven though wasn't he? If GO TO HELL worked, GO TO HEAVEN would probably work too?

And presumably that's what the saint was trying to get done. But fair enough when it comes to the saint.

Capilarean posted:

Jesse and Tulip are both TERRIBLE PEOPLE from what we've seen so far, and nice friendly vampire Cassidy unfortunately fell in with a bad lot :(

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 15, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I really hope they get Tulip out of this funk.

Tonight's episode was so great. Featherstone (the lady Agent) clearing the jam while the other guy just stood there was a really fun scene along with the Dennis Cassidy father/son moment.

I'm hoping we get another Big Bad that's not The Saint but we will see.

Some of this may be covered in the comics but I hadn't read those in years.

I'm so glad we have Featherstone because there's a serious lack of female characters beyond Tulip and Tulip is just everything bad about Jesse without most of the fun bits.

If this wasn't based on comics I would say the show should focus on Featherstone, Starr and the other Grail agent guy more than Jesse and co.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Capilarean posted:

This was my thought too. Even if he didn't want to cure Denis he could have said STOP SUFFERING - might have killed him but I imagine Cassidy wanted the suffering to end one way or another.

I get that Jesse is supposed to be conflicted and that he can harbor Genesis because he's a mixture of good and evil, but at this rate he's not proving himself much more "good" than that Satanic patriarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Labes for days posted:

This was my thought too. Even if he didn't want to cure Denis he could have said STOP SUFFERING - might have killed him but I imagine Cassidy wanted the suffering to end one way or another.

I get that Jesse is supposed to be conflicted and that he can harbor Genesis because he's a mixture of good and evil, but at this rate he's not proving himself much more "good" than that Satanic patriarch.

I agree it's poo poo writing, but the last time he tried to 'do good' with Genesis, it made an angel have the one being in existence who could do it consign him to loving oblivion.

• Locked thread