Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

This guy is the darling of resistor liberals and #NeverTrump Republicans

https://twitter.com/20committee/status/897117570360389632
slava fetisov won 3 stanley cups with the detroit red wings and is a high-level confidant of putin, therefore he gave the neo-nazis permission to use his former team's logo. wake up sheeple :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hehehe

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zas posted:

hehehe
replace "local" with "hollywood" and you have most people in entertainment today

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving this. i have my issues with libs and woke poo poo and even blm/antifa. but i am perfectly fine with nazi/alt right fucktards getting hosed over and censored to an extent especially after this poo poo.

This is kinda my sentinment.

Rule of thumb? Don't hang around with people with swastikas or klan hoods. kinda common sense but yeah.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving this. i have my issues with libs and woke poo poo and even blm/antifa. but i am perfectly fine with nazi/alt right fucktards getting hosed over and censored to an extent especially after this poo poo.

Taintrunner posted:

There is no need to defend fascists or their rights, as time and time again this has never led to an epiphany where they realize they should stop supporting a political movement based on violent oppression of the marginalized.

so what about the ACLU, who have been defending neo-nazi marches (including this specific march) for decades? are they "on the side of nazis" or "defending facists" by ensuring these rallys happen?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my grandma hated the ACLU until the day she died after they defended the skokie nazi marches. they do a lot more good than bad, but i can't blame you for not giving them the time of day over these things and citizens united (which they also supported for some reason)

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's wrong with being a dudebro anyways, is that like the male version of bimbo or something

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

so what about the ACLU, who have been defending neo-nazi marches (including this specific march) for decades? are they "on the side of nazis" or "defending facists" by ensuring these rallys happen?

the do alot of good but they have issues which this weekend has shown(as well as the past decades)

call to action posted:

What's wrong with being a dudebro anyways, is that like the male version of bimbo or something

because they tend to be giant douchbags.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Some dumbasses have been saying exactly that in the Trump thread.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

the trump tutelage posted:

I broadly disagree with critical legal studies and CRT. I generally agree with the Google manifesto and the 30 studies that support its claims, and with ending programs like Head Start which do not work. I find Hillary Clinton repugnant and I am glad she lost even if I hate that Trump won. This evidently makes me a fascist and a Nazi, and while I have no intention of swinging wildly to the right like a petty bitch, it's hard to keep giving a gently caress when you're told it's not enough to want a robust welfare state with equal opportunity for all if you're unwilling to embrace anti-intellectual tribalist bullshit.

I don't think the danger was ever that the woke twitterati were going to push Bernie Bros into the alt-right, it's that the Bernie supporters would exercise their privilege and opt out.

I don't necessarily agree with you but this opinion is a hell of a lot more interesting than the breathless "nazis aren't PEOPLE man" bullshit that one person keeps repeating

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Libs would love to turn talking about Bernie or single payer into hate speech too, y'know

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because they tend to be giant douchbags.

maybe you can describe a dudebro for me? what's a female equivalent?

call to action has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Aug 15, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The problem with chumping civil liberties for one odious group of people is that it makes it much easier to chump them for a group of not-so odious people. We saw this during the USSR.

That doesn't mean that Nazi marches are okay but we should treat them as they are - domestic terrorism (poo poo even Jeff Sessions declared it domestic terrorism) and prosecute them under that label, not say "hahahah you know that free speech thing? it's actually not that cool and I'm going to take it away because if I do that I can guarantee it'll never be used to oppress other groups that actually have something valuable to say."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

call to action posted:

it's the buzzfeed dems' attempt at coming up with a racial slur for white males. as you might imagine, it isn't working

the female equivalent is "bitch"

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:55 on Aug 15, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's the buzzfeed dems' attempt at coming up with a racial slur for white males. as you might imagine, it isn't working

the female equivalent is "bitch"

And it's pretty obvious that that's what they're going for, but it's just sorta weird to have woke people criticizing me for the circumstances of me being male when i was born. I'm no migtow but having my gender be a synonym for bad is questionable

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

The problem with chumping civil liberties for one odious group of people is that it makes it much easier to chump them for a group of not-so odious people. We saw this during the USSR.

That doesn't mean that Nazi marches are okay but we should treat them as they are - domestic terrorism (poo poo even Jeff Sessions declared it domestic terrorism) and prosecute them under that label, not say "hahahah you know that free speech thing? it's actually not that cool and I'm going to take it away because if I do that I can guarantee it'll never be used to oppress other groups that actually have something valuable to say."

It's not about taking away free speech, it's about not giving a poo poo about it in certain situations. Rights are imperfect, human-created things. Standing up for them in absurd cases involving nazis is just dumb.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

HIJK posted:

I agree with this. I think that's the correct way to go. They're "Vanilla Isis".

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Aug 15, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jizz Festival posted:

It's not about taking away free speech, it's about not giving a poo poo about it in certain situations. Rights are imperfect, human-created things. Standing up for them in absurd cases involving nazis is just dumb.

I mean as long as you understand this is pretty much the reasoning behind the systematic disenfranchisement of minority groups to their Constitutionally protected rights, go hog wild

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

call to action posted:

I mean as long as you understand this is pretty much the reasoning behind the systematic disenfranchisement of minority groups to their Constitutionally protected rights, go hog wild

Yeah rights don't function if they're not enforced, and they're not enforced if enough people don't give a poo poo. Making sacrifices to the right of free speech by standing up for nazis isn't going to make that right super powerful so it will be enforced all the time. It still won't be enforced in all the other situations that nobody knows about or gives a poo poo about.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jizz Festival posted:

hmm an ill defined situation where you aren't supposed to "give a poo poo" about "rights," yea I can't possibly see where a problem could arise.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jizz Festival posted:

Yeah rights don't function if they're not enforced, and they're not enforced if enough people don't give a poo poo. Making sacrifices to the right of free speech by standing up for nazis isn't going to make that right super powerful so it will be enforced all the time. It still won't be enforced in all the other situations that nobody knows about or gives a poo poo about.

what if we had some kind of law, and we enforced accountability of that law, applied to all people? like maybe a "list" of rights and civil liberties. then we could have groups that specifically ensured those rights were accessible by everyone?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
eargerly waiting for aclu to overturn the free speech zones that leftists get corralled into

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

what if we had some kind of law, and we enforced accountability of that law, applied to all people? like maybe a "list" of rights and civil liberties. then we could have groups that specifically ensured those rights were accessible by everyone?

If you're describing what exists today, plenty of people are not held accountable. Somehow defending the rights of nazis doesn't magically make everyone else's rights stronger.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how you guys explain the existence of things like warfare. You start shooting at one group of people, what's to stop you from shooting at all the other groups of people? Why does anything happen at all? Why is the world such a confusing mass of shapes and colors and noises?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

got any sevens posted:

eargerly waiting for aclu to overturn the free speech zones that leftists get corralled into
It's too bad they don't give a poo poo about free speech unless nazis are involved.
https://www.aclu.org/fact-sheet/free-speech-under-fire-aclu-challenge-protest-zones

Oh what's this, they have consistently argued in favor of free speech for basically their entire existence.

http://todayinclh.com/?event=aclu-urges-ny-governor-to-veto-film-censorship-bill

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jizz Festival posted:

If you're describing what exists today, plenty of people are not held accountable. Somehow defending the rights of nazis doesn't magically make everyone else's rights stronger.

The ACLU is literally the group that attempts to hold the government accountable. Sorry we have to have this conversation every time you are reminded that people disagree with you.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The ACLU is literally the group that attempts to hold the government accountable. Sorry we have to have this conversation every time you are reminded that people disagree with you.

The ACLU doesn't have to spend time and resources defending nazis. Free speech will not collapse if they ignore those cases. I'm not sure what's difficult to understand about this.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think you're uncomfortable with the idea of the ACLU choosing cases because free speech should be enjoyed by everyone equally. That's not reality, though, and it never has been. Defending nazis won't make it a reality.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
"ugh why bother trying to do good when we already know it's impossible for a society to be 100% good, ugh, why can't we just wallow in poo poo forever and be equal in MISERY"

"why bother testing that DNA evidence in this murder case when hundreds of murderers already walk free, who cares if it could make a difference in one specific case"

"why bother trying to cure this kid's cancer when he's gonna die at 85 in a normal life anyway"

"no one should ever try to be just or kind or merciful or loving or courageous, it's not like you can find that on the periodic table"

yes indeed, evil exists in some places so you know what? we should just destroy everything good. that'll show 'em

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You're assuming that defending nazis does good in some way.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jizz Festival posted:

You're assuming that defending nazis does good in some way.

>"you know I think free speech is important and we should prosecute domestic terrorists under anti terror laws instead of weakening or destroying free speech"

>" :smith: why bother protecting free speech, protecting free speech means helping nazis every single time and everything sucks anyway"

it's almost as if prosecuting domestic terrorists and protecting free speech are two different things and that we should enforce our laws instead of burning them down because "everything sucks anyway"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

checking in here... ah well, national security, and all that. I mean, yeah, when those radical marxists were protesting the Iraq War and were proven 100% right merely months later, you know, yellow ribbon support our troops and all that

Jizz Festival posted:

thanks to the valiant efforts of the ACLU defending the rights of Nazis, Black Lives Matter was able to protest the cops into not randomly executing black people anymore. oh wait, whoops, the Nazis infiltrated the police. oh well, at least we have our ~decorum~ at the Nazi rallies we're mandated to attend by Governor Spencer

yeah that group exists, it's called A N T I F A

FuzzySkinner posted:

I agree with this. I think that's the correct way to go. They're "Vanilla Isis".

there are woman on the other side of the world shooting ISIS who gave a stronger statement of support in the fight against fascism than the limpdick wannabe-leftist libs in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/6toe5v/yazidi_female_fighters_in_raqqa_operation_on/

Um, I'm pretty sure you can in America. Maybe you are thinking of somewhere else?

Oh, muh bad !It's a good thing America isn't a rotting cesspool of poverty, decay, and creeping fascism that nothing needs to change, then

MaxxBot posted:

You know that it's possible to be a leftist who supports free speech rights correct? You're not a spineless liberal simply for not wanting the same government currently considering punishing BDS with huge bipartisan support to also start regulating speech.

Also, what exactly do you want done about the first amendment? You can't just wish it out of existence. Like that German law you pointed to earlier, I don't think laws like that are some terrible 1984 dystopia but you literally *can't* do that here, it would be struck down 9-0 by the SCOTUS.

Democrats lost the White House to a reality gameshow rapist over the course of the past decade by compromising before they even sat down at the negotiating table. But okay, let's set our constraints to what's achievable based on the Supreme Court whose most left wing member called an NFL player peacefully protesting the senseless police murder of innocent black people "stupid and selfish." This will surely work!

Liberal.

got any sevens posted:

so the fbi doesnt doxx them?

The FBI, local police, private security companies, channers, etc. You could spend a solid half a day compiling a list of people pouring over photos trying to identify leftist activists. Antifa are not "cowards" by refusing to enable their own demise at the hands of fascist state and non-state actors, and to suggest otherwise is fascist enabling.

get that OUT of my face posted:

sorry, even after Charlottesville, #NoConfederate is still a stupid movement

it's only appropriate that a medium site called "The Establishment" is home of some of the dumbest essays that you'll find on the wasteland that is the internet

I like how it started with a woman actually dying in a leftwing protest and used her death to make a point about some lovely television show.

The ACLU is B. A. D. - support the National Lawyers Guild instead if free speech is an issue you actually care about. By ensuring these rallies happen, they have contributed to needless death and violence.

HIJK posted:

Actually, you saw it during Ferguson when the militarized police were tear gassing peaceful protesters. You can throw out empty platitudes all you want but it doesn't deny the fact that the state-sanctioned violence is racially targeted against peaceful protesters, especially those who do not seek to be senselessly murdered by the police on-demand. We are not starting from a net-zero state of pure liberty here, we are starting from a net-negative state of white supremacist state-scanctioned violence and hate speech for white people, and violently oppressed speech by people of color. Antifa violently opposing and suppressing Nazi organizing is a positive step in undoing this continued injustice.

call to action posted:

I don't necessarily agree with you but this opinion is a hell of a lot more interesting than the breathless "nazis aren't PEOPLE man" bullshit that one person keeps repeating

You can stop being a Nazi at any time.

quote:

Libs would love to turn talking about Bernie or single payer into hate speech too, y'know

They largely already have, it's why Joy Reid still has a show on MSNBC

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

>"you know I think free speech is important and we should prosecute domestic terrorists under anti terror laws instead of weakening or destroying free speech"

>" :smith: why bother protecting free speech, protecting free speech means helping nazis every single time and everything sucks anyway"

it's almost as if prosecuting domestic terrorists and protecting free speech are two different things and that we should enforce our laws instead of burning them down because "everything sucks anyway"

You misunderstand. My argument is that free speech is an imperfect thing and is enforced imperfectly, not that it "sucks." Since it's already imperfect, it's not going to shatter because some nazis' free speech was trampled on and nobody stood up for them. There's no reason to care about the free speech of those nazis.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jizz Festival posted:

You misunderstand. My argument is that free speech is an imperfect thing and is enforced imperfectly, not that it "sucks." Since it's already imperfect, it's not going to shatter because some nazis' free speech was trampled on and nobody stood up for them. There's no reason to care about the free speech of those nazis.

My argument is that they were not practicing free speech, they participated in a terrorist action that culminated in someone being murdered and five people in critical condition. Intimidation, coercien, and murder is not free speech, and they should be prosecuted as criminals.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the ACLU has historically stood up for free speech absolutism, regardless of who's doing it. at this point, it would be good if they picked their battles wisely and put the neo-nazis and white supremacists way down on their list, if they put them there at all. the fact that they were blatantly the criminals in this situation and not the left-wing protesters makes this a much easier thing to do

call to action posted:

And it's pretty obvious that that's what they're going for, but it's just sorta weird to have woke people criticizing me for the circumstances of me being male when i was born. I'm no migtow but having my gender be a synonym for bad is questionable
the rationale is that this is ok because white males are not an oppressed group and it's only fair to "punch up." it's based on a perverse kind of social justice that aims to bring more privileged people down instead of lifting more oppressed people up

a good example: when dylann storm roof (the black church shooter) got burger king when he was in police custody, people get enraged because he got special treatment. true social justice isn't saying "he should face the same punishment as black people in custody," it's saying "everyone kept in custody deserves to be treated humanely"

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

My argument is that they were not practicing free speech, they participated in a terrorist action that culminated in someone being murdered and five people in critical condition. Intimidation, coercien, and murder is not free speech, and they should be prosecuted as criminals.

Interesting that you think that opening legal exceptions for what is and is not speech is less troubling than having the ACLU look the other way sometimes.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jizz Festival posted:

Interesting that you think that opening legal exceptions for what is and is not speech is less troubling than having the ACLU look the other way sometimes.

Are you saying that running someone over with a car is free speech?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

Are you saying that running someone over with a car is free speech?

Did every person involved run someone over with a car?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Jizz Festival posted:

Did every person involved run someone over with a car?

No, but not every ISIS member shoots up a schoolbus either. Some make bombs and others shoot down helicopters. There are a variety of charges that can be laid at the doors of these people, every single person won't be covered by one single charge. Not unless you can get them all up on RICO which I doubt.

It's pretty clear that by Saturday it was no longer a protest, it was a riot with two mobs. That's not protected by free speech either.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/HashtagGriswold/status/897222177925337093

uh....

...yeah

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
who gives a poo poo, he was a white male, good enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

everybody knows that crowdfunded doxxing worked out very well when reddit tried to identify the boston marathon bomber

• Locked thread