Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

Surely no one actually expected them to say "hey you know what, in certain circumstances it's perfectly fine to just ignore the teachings of the church".

actually, yes, i do expect that an organisation's response to horrific child abuse would be to do whatever they can to ensure it never happens again. render unto caesar what is caesar's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

For this to change it has to come from the top. Local clergy have no ability to change the rules and if they tried they'd be excommunicated.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Time for another schism.

The No Child Abuse Church of Jesus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How was 4 Corners?

Greens MPs attacking other Greens MPs. Not a good look, regardless of the merits of any specific complaints.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/skynewsaust/status/897278375147917313

Holy gently caress is this really what they're going with. Incredible

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao.

New Zealand hacking.

No collusion

No you're the puppet

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
NEW LABOR

NEW POLICY

NEW

ZEALAND

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Anyone from NZ able to chime in on NZ Labor's chances in said upcoming election?

Because I for one see nothing wrong with the Labour Movement organising on an international level, much like every single other political movement does.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Collusion with new Zealand hackers

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What are you giving the New Zealanders for this Bill? Tasmania?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Lnp must be at least a little rattled if Bishop is putting out a dumb statement like that and then angrily walking off without taking any questions.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If the party knew about this mess in advance and still let Barnaby take over for Canavan then lol forever.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Lnp must be at least a little rattled if Bishop is putting out a dumb statement like that and then angrily walking off without taking any questions.

Not just her, Pyne's been on Sky News with the same thing:

the guardian liveblog posted:

“Clearly the Labor party are involved in a conspiracy using a foreign government, in this case New Zealand, the try and bring down the Australian government,” Mr Pyne told Sky News.

NZ Labour MP Chris Hipkins, in a parliamentary question last week, asked the internal affairs minister whether a child born in Australia to a Kiwi father would automatically have citizenship. He’s yet to receive an answer.

Ms Ardern said she’d since asked her MP why he asked that question.

“He’s been very clear: Yes, someone from the ALP put some legal question to him around citizenship, no mention was made of anyone’s name, no rationale for any particular case being pursued was ever raised,” she told radio NZ.

“He asked the questions without knowing how that might be used and has made it very clear, in hindsight, had he known how it would be used, he would not have asked the questions.”

So in a desperate attempt to shift the focus on to the ALP, the Tory Australian Liberals are hanging off the words of the NZ Labour Opposition and literally accusing Bill of consorting with a Foreign Power. This is just hilariously pathetic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

Anyone from NZ able to chime in on NZ Labor's chances in said upcoming election?

Because I for one see nothing wrong with the Labour Movement organising on an international level, much like every single other political movement does.

Apparently their chances are fair in so far as forming a coalition government with greens and someone else (like NZ first who I know nothing about, but the name sounds pretty natio). It's slightly less dichotomous over there since I think it's only really national that can form solo governments, but they're a coalition rn.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Since people were asking about supply & confidence if Baaarnaby goes

https://twitter.com/WilkieMP/status/897279568486088705

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thank goodness the adults are back in charge.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Blaming Labor has always been the regular Liberal Party response to their problems.

I welcome their new and innovative approach.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Today on the doorstep: "Gay marriage has killed over 100 million people, so I'm voting no"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If Joyce is found to be ineligible, and the Liberal party knew he was likely to be found ineligible but kept him in there anyway, is there anything that can be done? If it's not illegal it probably should be.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
When the Canavan news first broke I remember seeing a rumour (possibly in this venue) that the issue had longer to run and that Canavan not resigning entirely was a guinea pig tactic.

Didn't expect the real target to be CAAAAARP

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
My understanding is that if Barnaby is found to be ineligible, and is stood down, then his seat goes to a bi-election. Barnaby could then do the necessary work to remove his NZ citizenship and could still run again for his seat, and I think he won something like 60/40 so there's a very good chance he'd win again.

So, even though this makes the government look idiotic, it won't actually change the numbers in the lower house in the long term.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not that it'll matter (gently caress I figure he'd be proud of it), but I feel like baselessly accusing your political opponent of treason in parliament should be one of those things you get censured for.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 15, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/ViscountBrooky/status/897293135985876992

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

PotatoManJack posted:

My understanding is that if Barnaby is found to be ineligible, and is stood down, then his seat goes to a bi-election. Barnaby could then do the necessary work to remove his NZ citizenship and could still run again for his seat, and I think he won something like 60/40 so there's a very good chance he'd win again.

So, even though this makes the government look idiotic, it won't actually change the numbers in the lower house in the long term.

Are the people of NEW England forging of a dirty NEW foreigner being their leader?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

PotatoManJack posted:

I wouldn't necessarily peg his odds as that high.
Labor definitely will be expending resources just to knock out the majority, Windsor could come back and claim he could get goodies for the electorate like in the previous hung parliament, also there's the issue of Barnaby's performance in the cabinet which hasn't been stellar and theres been dodgy goings on about water theft?
Plus the previous result was from voters thinking the LNP would win, they aren't guaranteed to vote the same way if they know they can hang them.

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 15, 2017

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Ora Tzo posted:

I wouldn't necessarily peg his odds as that high.
Labor definitely will be expending resources just to knock out the majority, Windsor could come back and claim he could get goodies for the electorate like in the previous hung parliament, also there's the issue of Barnaby's performance in the cabinet which hasn't been stellar and theres been dodgy goings on about water theft?

Fair enough points, and looking at the 2016 election results, Windsor got 42.7% on a two party preferred basis. I still think it would be hard for a swing that big , but they could definitely make it very close, and Labor pushing the narrative to focus on Joyce & water would only hurt the LNP who are already struggling to get traction around anything.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I expect everyone's hurriedly polling New England as we speak.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah this moving of News Corp staff into the ABC is one of the most aggressive things this government has done.

Actually it's probably Malcolm Turnbull's only achievement as Prime Minister when you think about it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/897047116035403776

Hmmm...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's almost like transparency is a stated goal of grass roots organisations,

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Must be better ways to promote transparency than going on Four Corners.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The archbishop of the archdiocese of Melbourne, Denis Hart, said he would risk going to jail rather than report allegations of child sexual abuse raised during confession, and that the sacredness of communication with God during confession should be above the law.

I am fine with this man going to jail for ignoring children being raped.

open24hours posted:

For this to change it has to come from the top. Local clergy have no ability to change the rules and if they tried they'd be excommunicated.

Just following orders.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If you care more about excommunication than preventing children being raped then I'm more than okay with them going to prison.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

I am fine with this man going to jail for ignoring children being raped.

Just following orders.

I'm not trying to excuse it, but it's a fundamental tenet of Catholicism and the idea that the church would just roll over on this is completely implausible.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Don Dongington posted:

It's almost like transparency is a stated goal of grass roots organisations,

The comedy debate should never have happened and most definitely never should've been taped. Transparency to stupidity in NSW Greens and Left Renewal was helpful but only in that transparently it needs to go.

Tom?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

open24hours posted:

I'm not trying to excuse it, but it's a fundamental tenet of Catholicism and the idea that the church would just roll over on this is completely implausible.

Just :lol: if you think they would keep their mouths shut if someone came into confession and talked about how they had a plan to assassinate the pope.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/897304784457179136

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Everyone listen to question time right goddamn now. Amazing.

• Locked thread