Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is it just me, or are there hardly any orcs on the new map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Since there is already a tomb kings mod on the steamworkshop, what are the odds it will be as simple to get them going in the campaign as quickly as just adding tomb-kingy themed buildings that give them recruitment of the mod units?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Realtalk about skaven: it's weird that there's no skavenblight. I mean, if it's only on the combined map, what are the chances of it getting mechanics to represent how important it is to the skaven? It's their racial capital and horrifyingly large, after all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NewMars posted:

Realtalk about skaven: it's weird that there's no skavenblight. I mean, if it's only on the combined map, what are the chances of it getting mechanics to represent how important it is to the skaven? It's their racial capital and horrifyingly large, after all.

The chances seem very good that it will be properly represented on the reworked combined map yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Since there is already a tomb kings mod on the steamworkshop, what are the odds it will be as simple to get them going in the campaign as quickly as just adding tomb-kingy themed buildings that give them recruitment of the mod units?

Probably impossible if you still can't edit the core properties of the campaign map.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

NewMars posted:

Albion is probably going to be a conquerable province for one reason: It's campaign was about the nexus of vortex laylines on it and everyone fighting over those. That is literally what 2's campaign is all about.

Edit: one thing I just noticed on that map, all the uh... "ruin" factions start with four letters. Oh, I wonder what word might fit there?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

:eyepop:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

wargames attract incel mutants who think they could be the next rommel

man this chariot driver is just like ARE YOU GUYS SEEIN THIS poo poo

bret peasant going ham on that horse*****

my sweet screenshot got left on the previous page which i felt was a shame

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So to someone who is not at all familiar with Fantasy Warhammer, how would Tomb Kings play differently than Vampire Counts?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

So to someone who is not at all familiar with Fantasy Warhammer, how would Tomb Kings play differently than Vampire Counts?

they're sentient skeletons instead of mindless puppets. so they'd probably have some bows i guess

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

Between the New World Colonies and inclusion of Sartossa I daresay Tilea is definitely in. Tomb Kings are a given, obviously.

I still don't know if I think Araby has a chance or not, coin flip.

Island of Amazons isn't even on the map, so RIP.

The fact that Albion even exists is surprising, but there's no way they ever get anything better than an event pop-up.

Before Norsca was a thing, I'd call Araby a coin-flip too, now I'm 90% confident of them making it. Their territory is there (14 or 15 regions, Bretonnia has 14 for its territory), they actually have an army list from Warmaster to start from and there's lots of room to expand from there, which is more than Norsca had. CA needs factions to make DLCs for, and the only army book faction they could add to this region other than Tomb Kings is Daemons of Chaos, which are still likely to be a game 3* headliner.

I agree about Tilea being a good candidate, Norsca's tech is deeply suggestive of their eventual inclusion - why else make Miragliano a special city and add tech against them if they're only a two province minor? - and between the pirates and colonies, plus the material from Dogs of War, yeah, they should be in, maybe even before the Tomb Kings.

No chance for Amazons and Albion other than small events referring to them, I agree.

Vampire Coast would be a scarce possibility, but they could turn into an interesting gunline faction if CA is interested and allowed to have their way with them.

*If Daemons of Chaos are somehow a faction for game 2 I will 100% become a believer in Cathay.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Some interesting data points: Apparently units like frost wolf chariots, mammoths, Araknarok spiders, etc will drain stamina much faster because by default they are frequently using ranged attacks and melee attacks; ranged attacks actually drain stamina faster than melee which means those goblin archers are tiring out the spider (makes no sense, but I guess it is for balance sake). By turning off fire at will you can minimize the amount of time the unit is shooting a weaker ranged attack and quickly exhausting the unit when it is engaged in melee.

Also - Ld traits stack so it's possible to tank enemy leadership so much with the right skills and traits (Chaos and VC can do this) that you can have the entire army just nope the gently caress out before they even get in melee range :ohdear:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

They have crazy ranged artillery, their troops aren't chaff but their lords aren't quite as good.

On a different note: I actually want to play as most of the minor factions on that map. I wanna colonize the new world as the colonies, or romp around in the southlands as Karak Zorn.

Edit: also, if Norsca ended up being added, what are the chances of the chaos nomads making it? Or are they more likely to be added for game three and backported from there?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Away all Goats posted:

Mummies. Shitload of mummies and curses.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

mummies, chariots, archers, cool poo poo not fool poo poo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Away all Goats posted:

They have catapults that throw skulls. Skellington archers, and also chariots I believe. And still access to big monsters, which sounds like they could be a more annoying version of Vampire Counts.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Away all Goats posted:

Archers, chariots and artillery are the big things they do (and do very well) that VC don't. And yeah their troops are sentient (and very pissed off at the whole undeath situation) rather than automatons controlled by magic like the VC's skeles/zombies.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Away all Goats posted:

They have an Ark of the Covenant weapon that hurts everyone that can see it. :supaburn:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it would be cool if skavenblight is like an omnipresent horde city the skaven all share and can access through outpost caves or w/e

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Away all Goats posted:

First off, Tomb Kings bring ranged to the table, and a lot of it - their Skeleton Archers had a rule that they never got accuracy penalties, they had catapults that shot burning skulls that demoralized the targets, they had the Ark of the Covenant from Indiana Jones, and their giant statues could also pack bows. On top of this one of their spells let them fire a second time.

They also brought heavy amounts of chariots - iirc, they were one of the few armies that had chariots available as a Core unit choice (had to bring at least 25%(?) of your army's points value as Core units), and rather than solo units like most, their chariots came in big ol' blocks. Needless to say, Tomb Kings themselves could also pick a Chariot mount, so they could run an all-chariot force (plus a Liche Priest on a Skeleton Horse if you didn't bring one of the Special Characters who used a chariot and could count as your required caster).

Barring the special case of Arkhan (who used Death), they were required to bring at least one caster using their unique lore. Their unique magic Lore, the Lore of Nehekhara, was heavily buff-oriented: 4 buffs, a debuff, and a vortex, with a passive that healed units you buffed with it. The buffs included the aforementioned double-fire (that would allow bonus melee attacks if used on a unit in close combat), a spell to allow a unit to move a second time, a spell to give your troops killing blow, and a spell that gave your units a ward save. These buffs generally targeted one unit, but targeted all Tomb King units in range when Overcast. Aside from this, if you brought extra Priests they could take Light and Death as well as Nehekhara.

Their Lords and Heroes, rather than combat monsters like the Vampire Counts, had more of a support bent - Tomb Kings themselves had a rule that let other soldiers in their unit (I.e. Nearby in TW) use their Weapon Skill stat (analogous to both Melee Attack and Defense), Liche Priests gave Regeneration, Tomb Heralds amped Leadership, and Necrotects gave Frenzy (? Not sure on this and don't have my book in front of me).

Lastly, some of their units have the rule Entombed Beneath The Sands, which let you have them burrow up at/near a point you designated on the battlefield. You may have seen people playing the Fallen Gates battle using an ability to summon Feral Cold Ones at a spot they chose - if Entombed is in, I'd imagine it would work similarly, albeit probably without the summoned unit health degen, as an Entombed unit is still part of your army.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I remember they had a giant scorpion unit that could tunnel under the ground. It allowed it to appear anywhere on the map on turn 1 or 2 and was usually used to tunnel into combat with artillery crews (iirc this is how Dwarf miners worked as well, they could deploy 'off table' and then enter from a table edge of your choice after the game started).

Don't Tomb Kings suffer from Crumbling in a much more severe manner than VC as well?

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 15, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Here's hoping Surtha Ek is a TK legendary lord

or a rogue army full of different types of chariot

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Gotrek and Felix are still in the game files for 1, so I'm going to place money down on either FreeLC Thanquol/G&F drop with combined map, or a Grim and Grave style mixed addin for them. Thanquol getting Skavenblight, G&F ????

I'm disappointed in no Thanquol at release. But I also understand. Pestilins is the Lustria thing, it'd have been weird not to have them. Queek/Mors is the other New World/not Old World style group. Skrye is my obvious DLC hope, but I think it would have been strange to have the kings of Skavenblight chilling in the middle of the jungles.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Away all Goats posted:

Tomb Kings are the good guys while also being gnarly mummies.

Much like how the Lizardmen are freaky Reptilian Aztecs but also Space-God's chosen people tasked with eliminating the scourge of chaos and saving the world by ancient aliens.

At least according to second hand lore I've heard from people who actually play Warhammer outside of video games.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Gotrek and Felix are still in the game files for 1, so I'm going to place money down on either FreeLC Thanquol/G&F drop with combined map, or a Grim and Grave style mixed addin for them. Thanquol getting Skavenblight, G&F ????

I'm disappointed in no Thanquol at release. But I also understand. Pestilins is the Lustria thing, it'd have been weird not to have them. Queek/Mors is the other New World/not Old World style group. Skrye is my obvious DLC hope, but I think it would have been strange to have the kings of Skavenblight chilling in the middle of the jungles.

G&F might actually get Karak Norn. It'd fit with their general thing of exploring the world and finding lost stuff. Like they'd get a loading screen about how they reestablished contact with them and are leading them to fight against the goblins and stuff nearby.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

unwantedplatypus posted:

Here's hoping Surtha Ek is a TK legendary lord

Head Honcho of the Tomb Kings Settra the Imperishable had a unique magic chariot with more impact damage, a wider front due to being pulled by four horses instead of two, and dealt its hits as Flaming attacks.

Dartonus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 15, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
all you guys saying the tomb kings aren't on the map, aren't they the ones in the land of the dead?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Rookersh posted:

you sure there's no thanquol at launch? skarsnik started a million miles from his lore location

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

all you guys saying the tomb kings aren't on the map, aren't they the ones in the land of the dead?

No, there's some placeholder vampire counts called the "Strigoi Empire" There. Which is very strange since Mourkaine, the actual Strigoi empire, was where the badlands now is.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

you sure there's no thanquol at launch? skarsnik started a million miles from his lore location

We know Queek Headtaker is one of the lords based on the leaked box art and it seems incredibly likely the other one is one of the Plaguelords considering their entire thing is being in Lustria.

We don't know for sure tho.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

NewMars posted:

G&F might actually get Karak Norn. It'd fit with their general thing of exploring the world and finding lost stuff. Like they'd get a loading screen about how they reestablished contact with them and are leading them to fight against the goblins and stuff nearby.

Yeah with the whole rivalry thing in the new start DLC, it's hard to imagine us not getting a Gotrek vs Thanquol DLC.

So the other stuff we'd like fleshed with new starts is what, Skeggi and VC? I can't think of any other smallscale missing starts, but I barely know Lizardmen lore. Maybe a Malus and Alith Anar pack?

I'd be more confused if they pull a "Thanquol leads the Pestilins!" plot yeah.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
There's actually an interesting option I haven't seen put on the table: what if Thanquol is a Legendary lord that you can take for any Skaven faction in place of their lore-fitting one? Because he blundered and backstabbed his way there with his signature lack of style, of course.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Yeah with the whole rivalry thing in the new start DLC, it's hard to imagine us not getting a Gotrek vs Thanquol DLC.

So the other stuff we'd like fleshed with new starts is what, Skeggi and VC? I can't think of any other smallscale missing starts, but I barely know Lizardmen lore. Maybe a Malus and Alith Anar pack?

I'd be more confused if they pull a "Thanquol leads the Pestilins!" plot yeah.

i thought it looked like there were a whole bunch of skaven clans in lustria?

skrolk is fuckin lame so i hope its not him

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I can't wait to see the reason why the Tomb Kings get involved in the vortex struggle.

"Hey Settra,

I popped round but you were asleep, but yeah, I needed to borrow your back scratcher to stabilise the vortex. I know! Crazy right?
Anyways didn't think you'd mind.

Yours Truly,

Teclis"

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I feel bad for CA tbh

lizards, tomb kings and skaven

everyone has incredibly high expectations for awesome poo poo this game

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

NewMars posted:

the thing is the place where skavenblight is located is on the map for TW1 (it's in that giant impassible marsh west of miragliano; one of the beastmen lords starts near it) so since this map doesn't include any terrain from TW1 they can't include skavenblight

that said there's roughly a 200% chance it's on the combined map

Dartonus posted:

First off, Tomb Kings bring ranged to the table, and a lot of it - their Skeleton Archers had a rule that they never got accuracy penalties, they had catapults that shot burning skulls that demoralized the targets, they had the Ark of the Covenant from Indiana Jones, and their giant statues could also pack bows. On top of this one of their spells let them fire a second time.

the flip side of this is their base accuracy kind of sucked but the end result was that they had no reason not to have their archers constantly advancing towards better firing positions while other armies would need to park their archers somewhere since moving would nerf your accuracy heavily

it also made them not give a poo poo about enemy cover

(also the ark of the covenant model was hilarious)

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I just want me some Ushabti:

12' tall godly idols with weapons bigger than people, yo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

President Ark posted:

the flip side of this is their base accuracy kind of sucked but the end result was that they had no reason not to have their archers constantly advancing towards better firing positions while other armies would need to park their archers somewhere since moving would nerf your accuracy heavily

it also made them not give a poo poo about enemy cover

Unless they brought High Queen Khalida, who's extremely likely as their second LL. She's all about reenacting that scene from 300, only instead of Spartans getting buried by arrows it's vampires.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The cool thing about Tomb Kings is that they could potentially basically play like a low/mid-tier Rome 2 army. TK love giant blocks of basic dudes so all their weird magic poo poo can ruin everybodies day, and it'd be cool to get some more of that style in TW:W, since even Empire doesn't quite do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

One thing to remember about TK is that they're super slow, and they need the buffs from their wizards to get around or be cost-effective in a fight. But, they can punch really far above their weight if they get away with magic.

• Locked thread