Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

If someone mowed my weeds grass for me I'd be ecstatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Write a letter with everything you've already told the thread? Drop off a welcome gift along with it if you're terrified it'll be misconstrued as passive aggressive.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Leperflesh posted:

Any plan that does not involve you talking to them face to face in a very friendly and nonconfrontational manner is passive aggressive and bad, yeah. People can't read friendliness into your other actions and without the face-to-face they tend to assume you're the worst sort of terrible human and react accordingly. Especially when it comes to MAH PROPERTY LINE.

I would just assume they were trying to be nice. Back when i didn't have ill gotten gains I would cut a bit into the neighbor's yard for exactly that reason. Now i judy pay a guy to do it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Leperflesh posted:

People can't read friendliness into your other actions and without the face-to-face they tend to assume you're the worst sort of terrible human and react accordingly. Especially when it comes to MAH PROPERTY LINE.

Yeah but they did it first, which is what's peeving me off. :bahgawd:

I guess the real question is if anyone has any experience communicating small crap like this if getting ahold of folks in person is tricky. I'd also kinda feel like a dick if the first thing I bring up after meeting them is a mowing dispute.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leave a note with a bottle of wine.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just mow before they do next year.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ambush him when he's outside and make it seem like you're both just randomly bumping into each other.

Make it a conversation about where the property line is and that you don't want him to feel like you're not doing your fair share.

If it doesn't work just suck it up and let him do it this poo poo isn't worth the headaches.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Gift & note is a good idea, but I've had other folks mention that as being passive aggressive itself, so I wasn't sure if that would be worse or better than some simple flagging I could apologise for later ("I thought your lawn service wasn't sure" :shobon:) when I finally get a chance to meet them.

I should give some backstory to clarify my paranoia. When I was growing up our neighbor was a psycho about the property line, to the point where they actually rented a backhoe and dug up their side yard trying to collapse our septic system, which they were convinced was on their side of the line. I also live in a state where you can claim property rights if you show you're maintaining it. The previous owners of our property already lost a part of their side yard because someone threw up a fence, maintained it for long enough, then caused a stink about it later.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 9, 2017

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
If someone reacts poorly to a request not to mess up your property and a gift, it was bound to happen eventually. Better to know now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

what you need to do is collect your poop in a large container and when you have enough place the turds along the property line; your neighbor will understand the meaning

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Problem is new homeowners only have diahrrea because of the stress.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
We got freehold grid-feeding solar panels with the house we bought. The conversation went like this:

Them: 'We'll leave the solar panels on the house if you pay $10k for them, otherwise we'll take them with us'
Us: 'We don't really want to pay $10k more, you can take them'
Them: 'Okay we'll leave them'

Can't complain, it's pretty nice to be able to leave air con on all summer. However the previous owners were getting 26 NZ cents per unit to feed back to the grid and we get 8...

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Woke up at 2am last night to some weird sounds, and found a bat circling my bedroom. After freaking out a bit under my covers I left the room and closed the door. I went to my office, which is an adjoining room, and Googled "bat in my bedroom", as you do in situations like these. About 40 minutes into my dark excursion into internet information about how I'm definitely going to die of rabies, I heard a sound behind me, and [the/a] goddamned bat flew up at me from near the floor. Ffffffffffffff.

I left THAT room and closed THAT door and slept downstairs on the couch. Called a bat person in the morning and he came out and found a gap along my soffit with bat droppings and said there's probably a few in the roof area. He found big gaps along the floor by my radiators and sealed them up and is coming back next week to seal around the roof and put a one-way door so the bats can leave and not come back. Of course he couldn't find the bat.

At first I was all "gently caress this gently caress home ownership" but really it was nice to be able to call someone and have them come within the hour and address the situation without having to convince a landlord to do something about it. Now I just have to go get rabies shots (because apparently you can't always tell if you've been bitten or scratched or drooled on, and even though the chances that that bat was rabid, and bit me, and I'm infected are infinitesimally small, rabies isn't something to mess around with and my health insurance covers it so why not).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Just please for the love of God don't kill the bat - the little brown bat is becoming very highly at risk in the US and probably has less than 20 years left on this Earth unless they can get this awful white nose fungus epidemic under controlled.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Just please for the love of God don't kill the bat - the little brown bat is becoming very highly at risk in the US and probably has less than 20 years left on this Earth unless they can get this awful white nose fungus epidemic under controlled.

Right. The health department recommended having the bat tested if I could catch it, but at this point any bat I see isn't necessarily the same one, so I'll just get the shots and not worry about it. I love bats, just not in my house. After the guy comes to seal up the house, I'll build a bat box on my property so we can live in harmony :3:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Erwin posted:

Right. The health department recommended having the bat tested if I could catch it, but at this point any bat I see isn't necessarily the same one, so I'll just get the shots and not worry about it. I love bats, just not in my house. After the guy comes to seal up the house, I'll build a bat box on my property so we can live in harmony :3:

Yessssssssssss bat boxes and pollen rich planting for the win!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Erwin posted:

And great news, now in the future should be exposed you have a higher chance of survival if it takes you more than a day to get medical treatment! :v: Rabies is crazy. Enjoy your bat box!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I woke up at 1am last night to incredibly loud screeches in the backyard. Looked into the big tree in the center of the backyard, and one large branch segment is shaking like the trees in the raptor compound of Jurassic Park after they lowered the cow into it. I see a dark shape skitter down the main branch and out of the tree, and a few seconds later, another dark shape fall straight out of the tree ~20ft to the ground.

Turned the backyard lights on to what I can only describe as a raccoon rager. Must have been ten of the adorable little fuzz-balls back there. I've never seen so much as one in the yard before.

Save the trash panda!

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

MrYenko posted:

I woke up at 1am last night to incredibly loud screeches in the backyard. Looked into the big tree in the center of the backyard, and one large branch segment is shaking like the trees in the raptor compound of Jurassic Park after they lowered the cow into it. I see a dark shape skitter down the main branch and out of the tree, and a few seconds later, another dark shape fall straight out of the tree ~20ft to the ground.

Turned the backyard lights on to what I can only describe as a raccoon rager. Must have been ten of the adorable little fuzz-balls back there. I've never seen so much as one in the yard before.

Save the trash panda!

Quoting so you can't edit it to be i hate raccoons again and again

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Erwin posted:

I'll just get the shots and not worry about it.

Last I heard rabies shots were a series of extremely painful shots with giant syringes stuck into your stomach, I'd def not do it myself unless I was for sure but.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

tesilential posted:

Last I heard rabies shots were a series of extremely painful shots with giant syringes stuck into your stomach, I'd def not do it myself unless I was for sure but.

It's not any more. The vaccine is 4 shots over 4 visits (day 0, 3, 7, and 14) and a number of immunoglobulin shots based on weight on the first day. Since I was due for a tetanus shot as well, I had 9 shots on the first day (in my arms and legs, not my abdomen), and just had my second visit today for 1 shot. Really the worst part is the time sink of going back to the hospital 4 times. Unless you hate needles, then whoo boy.

If my insurance hadn't covered it, then I definitely would not have done it. The chances of me being infected with rabies is infinitesimally small, but whatever, I just had to pay a copay and now am ready to fight off bats and raccoons with my bare hands.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Nvm wrong thread.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 13, 2017

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

We bought our house in the middle of last year's horrible winter here. I don't want to listen to my wife say "brrr!" every five minutes again, so I'm having a guy come out and look at our crawlspace duct work. I've been down there a bit but I hate it (loving black widows) and I know there's a couple duct disconnects and insulation falling down. Hopefully the quote isn't outrageous.

Also on my list to do:
-Beef up attic insulation (we had ice dams last year)
-Insulate outlets (I bought those foam pads that go behind outlets and switches, as well as child proof plugs)
-Recaulk EVERYTHING
-Weather strip sliding glass door
-Maybe insulate garage door?

What else can I do?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Heat reflective window film on any windows old enough not to have it already, that plastic heat-shrink film around leaky or single-pane windows. Before doing significant insulation work it's probably worth having someone come back to do thermal imaging camera tests and show you exactly where you need insulation.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

It sucks to do but checking what sort of insulation is in your exterior walls is the next place after the attic. Thermal imaging helps with this immensely but does require it to already be cold outside so you can see the heat escaping your house. Otherwise you are cutting holes, removing outlets, and using an inspection camera. I would skip anything in the garage unless it is the wall between the living space and the garage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wandering Orange posted:

It sucks to do but checking what sort of insulation is in your exterior walls is the next place after the attic. Thermal imaging helps with this immensely but does require it to already be cold outside so you can see the heat escaping your house. Otherwise you are cutting holes, removing outlets, and using an inspection camera. I would skip anything in the garage unless it is the wall between the living space and the garage.

Assuming that the houses around you are similar construction this can be simpler than you think. They drilled two quarter inch holes in our wall and verified nothing came out on the bit and then siliconed them closed. Then they drilled 100+ 2" holes and blew in insulation.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheManWithNoName posted:

We bought our house in the middle of last year's horrible winter here. I don't want to listen to my wife say "brrr!" every five minutes again, so I'm having a guy come out and look at our crawlspace duct work. I've been down there a bit but I hate it (loving black widows) and I know there's a couple duct disconnects and insulation falling down. Hopefully the quote isn't outrageous.

Also on my list to do:
-Beef up attic insulation (we had ice dams last year)
-Insulate outlets (I bought those foam pads that go behind outlets and switches, as well as child proof plugs)
-Recaulk EVERYTHING
-Weather strip sliding glass door
-Maybe insulate garage door?

What else can I do?

Make sure you air seal the attic (and crawlspace), not just insulate. You want to reduce the amount of heated air that's getting sucked up into the attic.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If it wasn't so expensive I would retrofit with closed cell foam. If I ever build new gonna get the whole house sprayed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

devicenull posted:

Make sure you air seal the attic (and crawlspace), not just insulate. You want to reduce the amount of heated air that's getting sucked up into the attic.

I think what you mean is to seal the barrier between the attic/crawlspace and the interior spaces, but let's just be totally clear just in case: the crawlspace should definitely not be sealed to the outside, and unless your attic is a fully climate controlled space like the rest of your house, it should have vents outside as well. Don't seal those up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone here own or researched tankless water heaters? My house has a loving huge electric tank that is almost as old as I am, and due for the scrapyard.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Has anyone tried sonic animal repellants? The neighborhood cats like using my mulch as a toilet.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

I think what you mean is to seal the barrier between the attic/crawlspace and the interior spaces, but let's just be totally clear just in case: the crawlspace should definitely not be sealed to the outside, and unless your attic is a fully climate controlled space like the rest of your house, it should have vents outside as well. Don't seal those up.

Some crawl spaces are considered conditioned spaces and should be sealed from the outside, I believe that's pretty standard on newer construction.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elem7 posted:

Some crawl spaces are considered conditioned spaces and should be sealed from the outside, I believe that's pretty standard on newer construction.

This is a very specific design decision and you need to know how it was constructed or you will have disastrous consequences. "Conditioned craw space" is not normal, but the can be converted (or built) to be that way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

This is a very specific design decision and you need to know how it was constructed or you will have disastrous consequences. "Conditioned craw space" is not normal, but the can be converted (or built) to be that way.

Every single "basement rehab" contractor is pushing that for old homes. I got a quote of $3-4,000 to encapsulate my crawl space and closing it off was part of the deal. At the moment I just don't think it's worth that kind of money to make a 3-foot vertical space feel clean and livable (and mitigate the radon levels that are just barely over the 4.0 threshold).

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Every single "basement rehab" contractor is pushing that for old homes. I got a quote of $3-4,000 to encapsulate my crawl space and closing it off was part of the deal. At the moment I just don't think it's worth that kind of money to make a 3-foot vertical space feel clean and livable (and mitigate the radon levels that are just barely over the 4.0 threshold).

4.0 is like the mitigate now threshold, they still suggest mitigating over 2.0.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

There's a reason you put that in quotes. I'm talking about quality contractors.

There's nothing wrong with putting down rubber/etc over the dirt on a crawlspace to make it "cleaner" and largely to keep excess humidity from the soil out. It's a whole other thing to then claim it's then conditioned space and close off outside vents.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
I've got some drainage issues in my backyard - there's lots of standing water after heavy rains. I certainly need to do some grading as things are kind of wacky after some recent work was done back there, but there were issues before that and I was thinking one thing I could do to help the situation might be to reposition my downspouts from the back of the house to the front. I don't have a very large backyard and the square footage is pretty similar to the square footage of my house. I figure if I can put that rain on the front yard, I've just cut the water going to the backyard by abouut half. The front yard is nicely sloped to the street.

Any downsides of doing this or things to watch out for? It will be a little less pretty, but I'm not trying to sell it anytime soon and I don't think I'll mind them.

Any really rough estimates on cost or what factors will effect it if the answer is mostly "it varies"? I will not be doing this myself as I don't want to go two stories up on a ladder. (House is a basic rectangle, nothing complicated about the gutters)

Kase Im Licht fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 15, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

devicenull posted:

4.0 is like the mitigate now threshold, they still suggest mitigating over 2.0.

Interesting. I'm in Colorado, which is a radon-heavy state. I see a lot of people talking about buying houses with 16.0! I'll address mine eventually but it doesn't seem like much of an emergency.

I just started digging up the floor in my basement to replace it with vinyl floorboards and good god is it bad. Two layers of peel-and-stick over some kind of weird plastic abomination that must be 40-50 years old.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
There's a good chance that stuff contains asbestos. Might want to at least get a testing kit before tearing it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Kase Im Licht posted:

I've got some drainage issues in my backyard - there's lots of standing water after heavy rains. I certainly need to do some grading as things are kind of wacky after some recent work was done back there, but there were issues before that and I was thinking one thing I could do to help the situation might be to reposition my downspouts from the back of the house to the front. I don't have a very large backyard and the square footage is pretty similar to the square footage of my house. I figure if I can put that rain on the front yard, I've just cut the water going to the backyard by abouut half. The front yard is nicely sloped to the street.

Any downsides of doing this or things to watch out for? It will be a little less pretty, but I'm not trying to sell it anytime soon and I don't think I'll mind them.

Any really rough estimates on cost or what factors will effect it if the answer is mostly "it varies"? I will not be doing this myself as I don't want to go two stories up on a ladder. (House is a basic rectangle, nothing complicated about the gutters)

How new is this construction? A lot of places will use lovely subsoil, but call it "topsoil". It also gets compacted to poo poo during construction.

What's at the rear of your lot, and which way does it slope?

Ultimately, trying to get the water to infiltrate rather than get dumped into a storm sewer is preferable. Rain gardens, downspout planters, or rain barrels are always good.