Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw Atamanuik and Adomian live, doing their Trump v Bernie debate.

It was hella funny and Atamanuik's Trump was great because he made him an unabashed fascist. It doesn't translate as well on a hokey tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the best part of the president show is the continual humiliation of mike pence

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Jazerus posted:

the best part of the president show is the continual humiliation of mike pence

its so fukken dumb but its nowhere near as dumb as reality its gr8

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/897292716018683905

TRUMKA!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I recall Atamanuik semi-breaking the 4th wall and calling the majority white audience middle-class fascist-enablers who wouldn't stand up to the real life Trump. It was loving great.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I would watch the poo poo or of a Gorka show by Adomain.

MISTAH CHAPO!!! GORKA OUT!!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/897243518795530240

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
confederate statues in every american city

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the statue i am talking about is an eloquent piece depicting a freed slave kicking robert e. lee in the nads

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

logikv9 posted:

the statue i am talking about is an eloquent piss on robert e. lee

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Well actually, Robert E. Lee was personally against slavery and secession." :smug:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

this would lead to hundreds of morons marching in solidarity and pouring piss on their faces like their hero

so ok

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
sherman's march to the sea lacks any proper monument

i think we should bulldoze the route and then set it on fire, leaving it in the same condition as he left it. for history

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Can we just add statues of Calvin peeing on all of the confederate statues

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's not loving rocket science, replace every confederate statue with Harriet Tubman shooting traitors in the loving chest with an arquebus, or whatever the gently caress she used.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Frijolero posted:

It's not loving rocket science, replace every confederate statue with Harriet Tubman shooting traitors in the loving chest with an arquebus, or whatever the gently caress she used.

katana

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
H. Tub clocks Nathan B. Forrest in the face with a morning star.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

god she's terrible

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Corky Romanovsky posted:

John Oliver seemed to be going somewhere when he mentioned giving up weapons (programs) didn't work out too well for Iraq and Libya, then ends with a quirky song played by Weird Al suggesting the US isn't a threat.

no we're the good guys we've never done anything bad

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

logikv9 posted:

sherman's march to the sea lacks any proper monument

i think we should bulldoze the route and then set it on fire, leaving it in the same condition as he left it. for history

he didnt burn nc because even gen sherman knew nc meant chill (and we was all blazed already)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/davedittell/status/893184600997941248

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

he didnt burn nc because even gen sherman knew nc meant chill (and we was all blazed already)

also he knew they had to trudge through a hundred miles of swamp in the middle of winter just to get to any farms worth raiding

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
All art is human patrimony. Now excuse while I put up some hentai in 60% of public parks.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

yes, durham is a better example of how to remove the monuments. stop pussyfooting by pleading with centrists and just do it yourself

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/BuckyIsotope/status/897261286454575105

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

b-b-but the good lanyards at daily kos think tearing down statues + interrupting indivisible singing is baaaaad

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I can't even begin with comments in that thread like this one:

quote:

This is what strikes me about DailyKos these days.

“Punch a Nazi!”

“Break it!”

“Pull it down!”

“Throw molotov cocktails at them!”

Well what does everyone think millions of far-right folk armed to the teeth in this country are going to do? Turn around and go home and swill PBR in despair?

You punch a Nazi, they’re gonna punch a person of color. You break their poo poo, they’re going to break yours. And so on.

Right now they are generally obeying the law. We do not want them to stop—which they will if we also don’t obey it.

The law isn’t forever; it is a peace treaty; it is the sublimation of the riot.

Break the treaty, and the riot comes back.

And then it’s the weak against the strong, survival of the fittest, full stop—which is precisely what the Nazis are arguing for.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I think it means "don't be mean to nazis bc they're gonna be stronger than us when they retaliate"

eta a response to that post:

quote:

Now is the time for MLK, not the time for molotov cocktails. Because if the molotov cocktails ever really get the upper hand, antifa is going to quickly find out that they’re outnumbered, underaged, underexperienced compared to the huge pile of of ex-military folks on the right, and that they’ve brought molotov cocktails and “social justice” banners to an automatic-weapons-and-machetes battle where “social justice” is the stuff of black humor jokes and terrorist strategies are the order of the day.

:ohdear:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

that's one bad take Larry

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

I think it means "don't be mean to nazis bc they're gonna be stronger than us when they retaliate"

classic dem position: assume you'll lose before you even try

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

i'll tear it down unless it's a fountain

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al! posted:

"students and working class people are finally making effective inroads against a growing fascist threat, but why aren't they spending more money instead"

i just saw a commercial for a subscrition-based therapy phone app, for people on a budget (only $30 a week!)

capitalism failed, burn it all down

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lolol

quote:

AntiFa = “Anti-fascist”

I did research on and amongst them in grad school, though they didn’t have a term for themselves back then—they were just kids across the country who knew each other, couch-surfed in between protest actions, and so on.

They’re a loose affiliation of a bunch of leftist groups, mostly young folk, a lot of them college students or college dropouts.

They fancy themselves to be a kind of “special ops” of the left. They set fires and commit crimes dressed all in black. They hold meetings and have secret handshakes and really get off on a combination of self-righteousness and the thrill of committing petty crimes in the name of “social justice.”

They imagine themselves to be revolutionaries. And they derive a big part of their identity and their prestige in their circles from things like having set fire to stuff, been involved in scuffles and “direct actions,” having spent time in jail, and so on. They use slogans like “by any means necessary.”

The problem is they’re a bunch of kids. They’re more than willing to dress in black, put on a balaclava, and go set fire to something in the middle of the night, or spray-paint on a wall, or go to a protest and get into a fistfight.

Would they survive in a real combat theatre in which “by any means necessary” was actually at issue? No. No, they wouldn’t. They’re young idealists who break the law and think that makes them commandos for justice. But by and large they’re privileged kids to go to jail for small stuff and then get bailed out the next morning and are couch surfing and going to class again the next day feeling proud of their secret identity and “direct action.”

But could they torture someone to death? No. Could they keep their mouth shut while being tortured to death? Not a chance.

Which puts them at a distinct disadvantage in a real combat situation in which the other side can and will do these things.

They want another civil war, but they’ve romanticized bad readings of Marx in college classrooms. They don’t want another civil war in the same way that your average working class Nazi skinhead or ex-con, hardened-in-prison Aryan Brotherhood member wants another civil war. They do 12 hours in metro jail and they think it’s hard time with bad people. Most of them have never met actual, actually bad people.

They picture themselves taking a few punches and then marching with justice flags triumphantly into a people-led revolution. They do not picture themselves dirty, hungry, injured, covered in blood and guts, in a kill-or-be-killed world in which you do not get bailed out of jail in the morning and there are no more couches to surf on a play XBox games at midnight until going out to breathlessly set another fire or spray-paint another wall at 3:00 am.

And they have never had to face anyone shooting at them, with anything—much less with anything like the armaments of the right-wing militias. They just get into chair- and bottle-throwing matches until the riot police come to the protest send everyone either home or to the can for the night, and that’s pretty much as far as their imagination takes them.

They take it all for granted. They’re the left’s version of born on third base and thinking they hit a triple. Or in their case, born on third base and thinking they’re the second coming of a young twentieth-century Russian anarchist.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Willa Rogers posted:

lol when the civil war does come liberals will collectively go "both sides are bad" and then get curbstomped by the nazis

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

guys, indivisible is probably totally fine. totally not a hashtag resistance org. totally.

https://twitter.com/indivisible_ma/status/896778197131550721

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol when the civil war does come liberals will collectively go "both sides are bad" and then get curbstomped by the nazis

dont think the nazis will be the only ones just curbstomping them tbh

caught in the middle :qq:

*looks at centrists and right wingers* both of those sides are bad

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

guys, indivisible is probably totally fine. totally not a hashtag resistance org. totally.

https://twitter.com/indivisible_ma/status/896778197131550721

worthless

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I hope antifa stomps their asses too.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jazerus posted:

classic dem position: assume you'll lose before you even try

deal from strength or get crushed every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Willa Rogers posted:

eta a response to that post:

:ohdear:

remind them of neville chamberlain

• Locked thread