Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol, there's a reason that making it to the county line stopped mattering in the 60s. Almost every law enforcement agency has reciprocal agreements in place to avoid creating the adult equivalent of "base."

Those cops said "nah."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Convergence posted:

Correct. It's very hard to ignite because aluminum powder is naturally oxidized- you generally need a very high temperature heat source like burning magnesium. A lot of people who have never touched it just speculating ITT, I guess.

A burning wick of magnesium isn't that exotic of an item to procure, and can be pretty long.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Calibanibal posted:

my dragon av is fat and kind of dumb

sup?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You idiots chattin' bout explosives in a politics thread are going to get Lowtax another visit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lol, there's a reason that making it to the county line stopped mattering in the 60s. Almost every law enforcement agency has reciprocal agreements in place to avoid creating the adult equivalent of "base."

Those cops said "nah."

not really, if you're standing at the county line watching a petty crime happen in someone else's jurisdiction then you've got a stronger argument for not intervening

otherwise you're going to have to explain why you think a bunch of southern cops in a small city secretly approve of the removal of confederate statues. imo it's more plausible they figured the effort of stopping the vandalism and dispersing the crowd wasn't worth it and had a legal fig leaf provided by whoever made the call not to intervene

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Great Man History is awful.

Lincoln may have called slavery a great moral wrong, but once he was in power he did literally everything he was capable of to preserve it. Ge tried to pass laws that would make outlawing it impossible, he tried to pay the south to end its own economic system willingly, he tried to end the Civil War again by promising to leave slavery alone, and early on in the war he gave an executive order to the union army that any escaped slaves they encountered be returned to their owners or to regional governance, as convenient. This wasn't because he was an evil man (exactly) but because he held the norms of the time as more important than stopping the great moral wrong. Abraham Lincoln did a great job clutching his pearls but only truly ended slavery when it became clear that if the south rejoined the union with slavery intact the north would probably be the next to secede.

But while the president was giving the army orders not to free slaves, the actual soldiers were ignoring those orders and sharing their supplies with the black men and women they encountered seeking freedom. While Lincoln was trying to fix things by giving money to slave trading fucks, Harriet Beecher Stowe was convincing the general population that slavery was a fundamental evil that needed to be stopped. While southerners were crowdsourcing invasions of latin american countries to create more slave states, abolitionists and Quakers were smuggling escaped slaves to freedom and a better life.

Slavery wasn't ended by a luminous figure 19 feet tall, carved from marble. It was ended by ordinary Americans who, in ones and twos, in groups and in populations, in cities and in towns and in small rural houses, decided together that that wasn't what America was going to be, and that change was worth fighting for.

https://twitter.com/DerrickQLewis/status/897235297485901825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And that's exactly who's deciding we've had enough of this confederate poo poo. We don't need a president to find our salvation.

This is a deeply, deeply outdated and old fashioned view of Lincoln. James Oakes in Freedom National discredits this viewpoint. Not to mention Eric Foner in Fiery Trial. Was Lincoln perfect, of course not, and no historian argues as such. But he was a far cry from your depiction. Whether you subscribe to the evolution model of Lincoln or Oakes' consistent model its quite the opposite from this myth. Contrary your assumption, Abraham Lincoln and the Republican Congress worked stridently towards emancipation well before previously assumed. What your missing, I think, is Lincoln's obsession to ensure emancipation was legal, permanent, and with enough popular support. In essence, Lincoln deeply feared an emancipation that lacked legal backing and thus was vulnerable to political and legal challenges.

Any historical argument about the process of emancipation that does not in part involve an understanding of the U.S. Constitution and legal precedence is beyond repair. It was a key issue of Republican ideological thought since the party's founding. Lincoln and company followed a careful program that sought to use the Constitution to their benefit to end slavery while not forgetting that the document was also a Constitution that supported slavery. The approach wasn't easy given the nation's founding as a slave society, but was worth doing.

Emancipation required the actions of enslaved people, shapers of northern public opinion, military action, and yes, an administration that worked to give legal and political cover for the most revolutionary moment in American history. See Reconstruction for an example for what happens when you don't have all these elements.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boner confessor posted:

not really, if you're standing at the county line watching a petty crime happen in someone else's jurisdiction then you've got a stronger argument for not intervening

otherwise you're going to have to explain why you think a bunch of southern cops in a small city secretly approve of the removal of confederate statues. imo it's more plausible they figured the effort of stopping the vandalism and dispersing the crowd wasn't worth it

Durham is the leftmost city(ok, maybe Asheville) in the state, with a large black population/ history. It's actually within possibility that the cops were ok with it

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I really want to take a diplomatic angle with the alt-right but I'm really having a difficult time trying to reason with guys who are waving confederate flags and claiming Lincoln.

Also if Durham has to replace that statue by law they should just put a statue of two guys kissing in it's place and say they replaced it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

A burning wick of magnesium isn't that exotic of an item to procure, and can be pretty long.

Road flares work too.

Seriously you idiot fuckers don't advocate for thermite at protests. It literally spews molten iron to melt/burn through the target. gently caress up and that shits going everywhere. Stick with manual labor like Marx intended.

In other words: SCIENTIST! THERMITE! HOT!

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I've watched Breaking Bad; thermite just leads to nazi's taking 90% of your money.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

vaginite posted:

I really want to take a diplomatic angle with the alt-right but I'm really having a difficult time trying to reason with guys who are waving confederate flags and claiming Lincoln.

Also if Durham has to replace that statue by law they should just put a statue of two guys kissing in it's place and say they replaced it.

Alt rights code for Nazi. They're just Nazis too chicken poo poo to call themselves Nazis. There is zero diplomacy worth the effort with Nazis.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

vaginite posted:

or just make pulling down the confederate statue a yearly occurrence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpp4RvtkXGg

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

vaginite posted:

No diplomacy (unless they're somehow receptive to it, which is rare).

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

vaginite posted:

I really want to take a diplomatic angle with the alt-right

So you just a masochist or something? Why bother?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Holy poo poo that Vice video

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Mustached Demon posted:

Alt rights code for Nazi. They're just Nazis too chicken poo poo to call themselves Nazis. There is zero diplomacy worth the effort with Nazis.

Yeah - was trying to imply they're dipshits that can't be reasoned with with the confederate flag/Lincoln comment but I don't think the smarm came through on the internet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/buttpraxis/status/897313224156078080

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spraypaint can flamethrower guy is a real hero...

http://www.theroot.com/interview-how-corey-long-fought-white-supremacy-with-f-1797831277/amp

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/897318276669349888

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mustached Demon posted:

And whenever someone uses "alt left" to refer to people who want the police to kill fewer innocent people and for there to be health care for everyone, think about why they are using that term.

This isn't directed at OP but the readership at large.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Why the hell are AFL-CIO people still on that council? Seriously, how or why did that happen and why is it still happening?

Also, bring a goddamn Hacksaw, what is wrong with you people?

They want to have voice on the repeal of NAFTA.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Of course he's military. A bunch of them probably are. The military is as rotten as everything else.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sendgrid wasted no time in killing Daily Stormer's account after this came up.

https://twitter.com/slpng_giants/status/897301096233746432

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

LeeMajors posted:

God this video made my blood boil.

What a bunch of insecure, fuckboi shitheads.

Bullshit. I saw the same video and I didn't see insecurity. I saw a punch of psychopaths willing and eager to see more death.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thanks clickhole

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I didn't notice the old guy he was protecting the first time I saw this.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Ooh... an Alt Right leaker who attended the Nazi rally, tried to false flag a protester and has a security clearance as I guess a junior navy intel officer? That seems pretty crap.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neo_Crimson posted:

Bullshit. I saw the same video and I didn't see insecurity. I saw a punch of psychopaths willing and eager to see more death.

Cantwell was shaking and flinching and pulling guns out of every orifice while whining that a jew was walking around with 'that beautiful girl.'

I'm not saying they aren't dangerous, but they're bunch of intellectually damaged, wounded assholes. No one hates that much without feeling aggrieved--rightly or wrongly.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lost it for a bit b4 i could calm down enough to reply. you and turtleicious wont get away with this

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
this ended up on my feed and owns

https://twitter.com/sirmitchell/status/862179399902384128

he has stickers!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

is that the OK hand symbol

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

It's the number 45 ya dingus

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

It's 45 and also the ok hand symbol and a swastika. brilliant design really

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

empty whippet box posted:

It's 45 and also the ok hand symbol and a swastika. brilliant design really

I love it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eric Wareheim and Zack Galifinakis?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Eric Wareheim and Zack Galifinakis?

It's David Mitchell

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/faguettte/status/896753517309956096

:swoon:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a cool design but looks too much like an actual swastika, if I saw someone carrying a sign of it on the news there's a 50/50 chance I would think they were a Trump supporter

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Stormer getting hosted then immediately deleted is like shooting skeet from the perspective of the skeet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

it has a huge 'X'/cross/bar/whatver thats called thru it dude

u must step on the grass and feed the ducks alot

• Locked thread