Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

All these things are really bad. I tried to rewatch 'the best of' Buffy a couple of years ago, and could barely make it through one episode. I wish I watched something else as a child.

Buffy isn't for an adult mind imo.
Never liked it, I watched about 10-20 minutes of one episode, one where the world was going to end in about an hour or whatever, and the red haired one from How I met your Mother was complaining that she didn't have a date that night.
I can see how it was popular at the time with 90s kids and young adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

I also gave your mom the gift of not being alive for the majority of your writing career.

I'm betting the tweet was about something Trump said right? What kind of witty gold did he tweet out on election night?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

vermin posted:

I also gave your mom the gift of not being alive for the majority of your writing career.

I'm betting the tweet was about something Trump said right? What kind of witty gold did he tweet out on election night?

Probably, I was looking at his twitter and didn't realize he was a huge Hillary shill

https://twitter.com/joss/status/888836492696723457

jfc lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Joss Whedon wants to gently caress Hillary CLinton dressed as Wonder Woman.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The worst thing about Whedon are all the people that trip over themselves to let you know they don't like his work. Also known as the Lena Dunham effect.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

JT Smiley posted:

The worst thing about Whedon

Is his dialogue

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

JT Smiley posted:

The worst thing about Whedon are all the people that trip over themselves to let you know they don't like his work. Also known as the Lena Dunham effect.

for real like i never thought he was notable enough to warrant this much scrutiny

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

No, Buffy and Angel both have amazing episodes, and the bulk of his work is definitely good, overall.

Whedon power rankings:

1. Dr Horrible
2. Firefly (only like 1 bad episode, the one with the hookers)
3. Buffy (only like 1 or 2 bad seasons, mostly great)
4. Angel (more hit or miss, but the hits are amazing, like the puppet episode)
5. Avengers 1
6. Dollhouse (mostly misses, but the Epitaph 1/2 eps were great)
7. Avengers 2

These things are all extremely bad. HTH.

Blind Sally posted:

Whedon wrote the screenplays for Toy Story and Titan AE

He got a writing credit for the part of the script in like 1992 when Woody was a homicidal sociopath. Everything he wrote got incinerated in the final draft because he sucks.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 14, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

These things are all extremely bad. HTH.

I would respectfully disagree and say that the truly bad ones are only 6 and 7.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bring back old gbs posted:

which costume??? u know which one, we all know which one, but say it say itttttttt

The Reb Brown captain america where he owned a panel van and didn't fight people

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I appreciate any writer who has their own distinct voice. :shrug:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

JT Smiley posted:

The worst thing about anything I like are all the people that trip over themselves to let you know they don't like it. Also known as the Just Agree With Me effect.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Paladinus posted:

Joss Whedon wants to gently caress Hillary CLinton dressed as Wonder Woman.

Hillary should take out a loving restraining order against him, jfc

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

The Reb Brown captain america where he owned a panel van and didn't fight people

In the future you can just say "the good one".

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I did like Firefly though.

Wouldn't surprise me if it gets a spin off on Netflix eventually. I'm actually kind of surprised it hasn't happened already. There's got to be some right-holding mess preventing it from happening.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zach snyder posted:

:smith: same bro.......

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

He got a writing credit for the part of the script in like 1992 when Woody was a homicidal sociopath. Everything he wrote got incinerated in the final draft because he sucks.

ha, really? that's p good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In the future you can just say "the good one".

The second Reb Brown captain america where he owns a panel van and fights one person

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

You know who I like?

Mike Stoklasa.

He's got some jokes.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

A Handed Missus posted:

You know who I like?

Mike Stoklasa.

He's got some jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7S1JAnWDi8

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

A Handed Missus posted:

You know who I like?

Mike Stoklasa.

He's got some jokes.

I heard he once won the "Joke of the Show" award

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I honestly thought at a glance that he was about to say "what a tub of fuckery her son has become"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zj4869EmfA

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I think he is confessing to killing his mother.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

KakerMix posted:

I heard he once won the "Joke of the Show" award

yeah but probably on an episode he edited so it's actually super sad

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I thought he quit Twitter

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I thought he quit Twitter

Stephen Fry is also back. Just can't get enough of that twitter feed baby.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

a bone to pick posted:

Apparently Whedon's Wonder woman script consisted of horrible sexism lol

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/joss-whedon-wonder-woman-sexist-screenplay/?fb=dd

Man it doesn't even seem that bad and that dude just bends over backwards for the woke crowd and they still poo poo all over him. I really don't have strong feelings for or against the guy but jeez you just can't win.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
When I quit twitter its gonna be for real.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I think he is confessing to killing his mother.

That is what it sounds like

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

reignofevil posted:

When I quit twitter its gonna be for real.

Same I quit twitter months ago and I haven't looked back. I really don't want to use it ever again because it just made me depressed and miserable like everyone else who uses twitter

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we agree there are plenty of great sci-fy with some that aren't even set in space and that hardcore fans have a tendency to ruin the shows to new comers due to their evangelical zeal?

Joss has a pretty good record but he seems to do the best work under some of external restrain or adversity. He isn't that great if not terrible when given what is a near infinite budget as it lets the worse of him come through. Dollhouse sucked hard and LOL buffy with it's teenage BS.

Please enjoy what has to be one of the golden age of TV where can watch what you want, anywhere, any time, regardless of year of broadcast, on just about any device that can play video with recommendations tailored to your preferences.

Given this is one of the worse time-lines I can see what he is getting at.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

A Handed Missus posted:

You know who I like?

Mike Stoklasa.

He's got some jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmRs1QjHU-k&t=1768s

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Same I quit twitter months ago and I haven't looked back. I really don't want to use it ever again because it just made me depressed and miserable like everyone else who uses twitter

I thought the same thing today when on my way home I realized I was so busy today at work I didn't have a chance to check it so I had no idea what twitter was mad about today and it felt great.

Just, takes willpower man.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

priznat posted:

I thought the same thing today when on my way home I realized I was so busy today at work I didn't have a chance to check it so I had no idea what twitter was mad about today and it felt great.

Just, takes willpower man.

It actually doesn't take that much willpower. I gradually used twitter less and less over the past year or so. I had basically quit informally so a few months back I went on one last time, said goodbye to my followers and told them if anyone wants to stay in touch, here's my Facebook and instagram.

It wasn't always that bad, but eventually it got to the point where someone was outraged about something new, stupid and meaningless every goddamn day and retweeted concentrated negativity at all times. I'm still kind of brain damaged by that trash heap but at least I'm not miserable every goddamn day.

...And this was all before Trump got elected. Yeah. Now that he's in the White House I'm definitely never using twitter again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The concept of ENDLESS TRASH applies to many things, including social media.

We really need a new thread title of The Red Letter Media Thread: Endless Trash.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man it doesn't even seem that bad and that dude just bends over backwards for the woke crowd and they still poo poo all over him. I really don't have strong feelings for or against the guy but jeez you just can't win.

nope

serious post, they're *exactly* like the fundie baptists I grew up with

circular logic:
- god answering prayers is proof, god not answering prayers is a test of your faith
- women feeling oppressed is proof, women not feeling oppressed is self oppression
check

double standards:
- when you do a bad thing it's satan, when I do I'm forgiven
- when you do a bad thing it's oppressive patriarchy, when I do it's striking back
check

I could go on

but that would be even more boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I once read someone describing SJWism as right wing protestantism with a gay hat. This was very accurate.

• Locked thread