Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
How are the various Flash Point: Fire Rescue expansions at providing different feeling experiences? I'm not looking to increase the difficulty significantly, just to provide a twist when some non-gamers are subjected to playing it multiple days in a row (not by me, I promise; I'm just enabling it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Is the Tash Kalar reprint really coming this September? Markups here have been pretty huge and I don't want to pay $20 shipping for a $30 game.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Blamestorm posted:

These are all what I would call light to medium ish euros, with Waterdeep on the light end and Agricola and Powergrid on the medium ish end. So I wouldn't go heavier, like Container.

Istanbul has been recommended a bunch and I would also recommend solid, more straightforward games that still have a decent amount of strategic depth like Concordia, Ra, Via Nebula, Isle of Skye, or maybe even some lighter fun stuff like Steampunk Rally or Colt Express. I think there is a tendency to increasingly heavier as one reads about this stuff for a more "pure" experience or whatever but there are a lot of games which are slightly shorter and simpler (in terms of rules) but still have a lot of strategy and competition. I love economic-ish games like Brass, for example, but often I'll prefer slightly lighter games like Concordia in practice because everyone has more of a fun time.

For alternatives to Agricola at that kind of depth there is also Keyflower, which is great and relatively straightforward but incredibly vicious and competitive. Depends on your preferences - usually euro stuff tilts towards simple and highly interactive or more complex and focused on engine building, with less direct competition. Good to know which direction you lean in terms of recommendations. Roll for the Galaxy is a good example of the latter, and power grid the former (although many games are even more interactive/competitive).

Agricola is on the medium end? It felt like on the extremely heavy end. Powergrid was on the easy end for me, I felt the rules were much easier to pick up, and the planning/mistakes were pretty easy to cover up.

I agree, Waterdeep is definitely on the light side for euros, as I can see why it's such a great game for many.

On the other end, I've also backed Brass: Lancashire & Birmingham so I'm hoping that it'll change me on euros.

But yeah, despite how cool those ships are, guess I'm not going to go for Container.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Brass is awesome but a lot heavier than Agricola, IMO. But it's also more interactive like Power Grid. Weight is somewhat up to interpretation though, and not really the same thing as rules complexity. Agricola has a lot in common with other worker placement/engine games so there is a certain amount of shared concepts, what else you've played has a lot of influence on how challenging it is for new players.

Food chain magnate, for example, is arguably somewhat simpler in terms of rules complexity but I would define as far heavier as every individual decision is weighted a lot more in terms of the ultimate result. You can lose the game in the first turn, really. Agricola is much more forgiving in that respect and you can lose while still having a respectable score which you can aim to improve next time. FCM, Brass (to a degree) and definitely container you can get absolutely smashed in and not see how to do better without more experience. And mistakes are incredible costly. How well you do is extremely contingent on other player's choices.

To some degree I would say weight relates to the complexity of the strategic space, much of which may not be immediately apparent without experimentation and experience. Power Grid might have felt quite different to you if you'd played with highly experienced players (or it might align with the kind of play you like) - knowing all the plants in advance and how far in advance you prepare for the stage 2/3 shift can lead to big points gaps, so I'd rank it as around the same weight as Agricola personally (others may disagree).

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 15, 2017

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Blamestorm posted:

Brass is awesome but a lot heavier than Agricola, IMO. But it's also more interactive like Power Grid. Weight is somewhat up to interpretation though, and not really the same thing as rules complexity. Agricola has a lot in common with other worker placement/engine games so there is a certain amount of shared concepts, what else you've played has a lot of influence on how challenging it is for new players.

That sounds promising. I'll hold off on Container as it seems like a great game, but the KS seems to just be for a (very appealing) gimmick.

Blamestorm posted:

To some degree I would say weight relates to the complexity of the strategic space, much of which may not be immediately apparent without experimentation and experience. Power Grid might have felt quite different to you if you'd played with highly experienced players (or it might align with the kind of play you like) - knowing all the plants in advance and how far in advance you prepare for the stage 2/3 shift can lead to big points gaps, so I'd rank it as around the same weight as Agricola personally (others may disagree).

Makes sense. I played in a group of two newbies to euros (including myself) and another who has more experience with euros. I just was able to grasp the rules extremely fast as it just seemed to be a lot of quick math that I could do on the fly. It seemed to align to the kind of play I like (for that sort of game) cause I used to do a lot of Go (the old chess-like game) and it seemed very similar in tactics to "lock" people out of regions early on.

Agricola wasn't anywhere near that, as the interaction of all the cards seemed to make it a whirlwind of interactions I couldn't seem to anticipate. I dont doubt the game could be a lot of fun, and I'd give it a try with some more forgiving people - I place the VAST majority of the blame on the rear end in a top hat who was just trying to newbstomp instead of trying to let everyone enjoy the game. Especially, by the end, it was just me and another guy (who we were mutual friends with) watching him run out his turn, recite all his interactions, and see him win by a huge lead. Explaining my pitfalls after to revel in his victory didn't really help, as I'd already been left to hang myself from whatever mistakes that I didn't know I made.

But yeah, a few euros on KS - I'll see how well it goes. I invite people to join the TTS Goons discord, maybe see if you can rope me into a game to help me understand euros a bit better.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

What snacks do people like to have for game nights?

Late to the party but a bowl of grapes (already off the little branches of course) is a nice fruity snack, I have also done all kinds of snack in the form of snack on a toothpick, e.g. cheddar cheese between two slices of pumpernickel bread cut into small squares with a grape on top, served on a toothpick.
That works for a lot for things, but it is a bit of prep work.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

kinkouin posted:

That sounds promising. I'll hold off on Container as it seems like a great game, but the KS seems to just be for a (very appealing) gimmick.

Makes sense. I played in a group of two newbies to euros (including myself) and another who has more experience with euros. I just was able to grasp the rules extremely fast as it just seemed to be a lot of quick math that I could do on the fly. It seemed to align to the kind of play I like (for that sort of game) cause I used to do a lot of Go (the old chess-like game) and it seemed very similar in tactics to "lock" people out of regions early on.

Agricola wasn't anywhere near that, as the interaction of all the cards seemed to make it a whirlwind of interactions I couldn't seem to anticipate. I dont doubt the game could be a lot of fun, and I'd give it a try with some more forgiving people - I place the VAST majority of the blame on the rear end in a top hat who was just trying to newbstomp instead of trying to let everyone enjoy the game. Especially, by the end, it was just me and another guy (who we were mutual friends with) watching him run out his turn, recite all his interactions, and see him win by a huge lead. Explaining my pitfalls after to revel in his victory didn't really help, as I'd already been left to hang myself from whatever mistakes that I didn't know I made.

But yeah, a few euros on KS - I'll see how well it goes. I invite people to join the TTS Goons discord, maybe see if you can rope me into a game to help me understand euros a bit better.

A bad experience can sour most people on pretty much any game. I would also add that while Agricola is generally regarded very highly, part of that relates to the board game environment when it came out a decade ago when there was much less variety. A lot of people who love many other euros don't like Agricola much so I think it's also cool if it's just not your bag. It has a family mode which doesn't use the cards, as well, which drastically cuts down the amount of possible interactions.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Edible sleeves

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
God drat Mottainai is a hard game to teach.

It's such a tight design that literally the first action you pick will have repercussions for the rest of the game but there really is no earthly way to explain why you'd want to do specific things without first somehow playing out a bunch of turns with the new player having no idea what they're doing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Countblanc posted:

What snacks do people like to have for game nights?

I love all you goony goons who worry about components because you can't stop playing your boardgames for a few minutes to eat some messy food then wash your hands.

I like:
Dry bread
Dry nuts
Dry cheese
Dehydrated fruit
Dehydrated meat

Eat pizza and chinese food at gamenights and be happy goons!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

dropkickpikachu posted:

It's such a tight design that literally the first action you pick will have repercussions for the rest of the game but there really is no earthly way to explain why you'd want to do specific things without first somehow playing out a bunch of turns with the new player having no idea what they're doing.

I played it once and judged that it is a bad game.

Anyone playing the 7th Continent? Someone compared it to Time Stories, without the sucking.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

djfooboo posted:

I love all you goony goons who worry about components because you can't stop playing your boardgames for a few minutes to eat some messy food then wash your hands.

I like:
Dry bread
Dry nuts
Dry cheese
Dehydrated fruit
Dehydrated meat

I played a game of FCM (my copy) with a guy that was eating sloppy goddam nachos and I saw him get a bit of salsa on his player menu, which made me cry a bit. But then I rationalised it as adding flavour (literally) to the component itself. Right guys? :shepface:

And my friend spilled a pint over my brand new copy of Istanbul right when we were playing it for the first time.

And wine all over Clash of Cultures.

Funny that a Xia conversation sort of started here just as SU&SD did a video on it. Quinns definitely appears to be implying it's an experience generator with nice components. I'd like to play it but not own it from the sound of things.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

djfooboo posted:

I like:
Dry bread
Dry nuts
Dry cheese
Dehydrated fruit
Dehydrated meat

Time is money.

More, taking breaks for food can lead to hours added to medium length games, which honestly can be kind of annoying when we're talking an evening game night.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
We just eat dinner before hand. Problem is... now instead of game night it's pretty much "Dinner and drinks and maybe a game night." So yeah, maybe don't do that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Most of my gaming is with whatever pub food I order and a pint of Leffe or wheatbeer. I like Blue Moon but not with the orange slice.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dropkickpikachu posted:

I have this game and like it well enough for what it is, but I don't touch it unless the other player(s) have eurogame experience since it's too abstract and hard to teach to someone who's not familiar with engine builders or hasn't seen the follow mechanic before.

Red7 is the only accessible Chudyk game, the others are all really fiddly even if there's some clever bits of design in there.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

Funny that a Xia conversation sort of started here just as SU&SD did a video on it. Quinns definitely appears to be implying it's an experience generator with nice components. I'd like to play it but not own it from the sound of things.

Xia definitely seems like it is Incredibly My poo poo(tm) after watching SU&SD but it sounds like the pirate game he mentions at the end is an even better version of it? I dunno

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Someone asked about Gloomhaven and the ability to jump in versus maintain a party or campaign. It'll be fine. Not only can you play or replay any location on the map, there is even a simple one shot scenario generator.

Grab some character boards and their cards, choose a map location or use the simple generator, and bam you're done with no impact on whatever campaign play you have going on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tekopo posted:

I like Blue Moon but not with the orange slice.

You monster.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Most of my gaming is with whatever pub food I order and a pint of Leffe or wheatbeer. I like Blue Moon but not with the orange slice.

Gaming on rickety, sticky pub tables does not sound like the best idea

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bottom Liner posted:

You monster.

Thank you. Someone had to say it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mojo Jojo posted:

Gaming on rickety, sticky pub tables does not sound like the best idea
I dunno, the tables we use tend to be really stable and large, and usually not sticky. Central London is really difficult for setting up boardgame meets, and my (public) group has had loads of issues even with pubs. The usual deal that we try to make is that we don't have to pay any kind of fee to the pub, but "pay" them in increased drinks/food purchases during days where they wouldn't usually have many people coming. Renting areas in Central London is prohibitively expensive, otherwise. There are only a few gaming shops that have any kind of space available, and usually they are either infested with magic players (Dark Sphere, where even my X-Wing gaming group sometimes can't book tables), or they are already gaming cafes (warboar, that gaming cafe in the east end).

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Tekopo posted:

I dunno, the tables we use tend to be really stable and large, and usually not sticky. Central London is really difficult for setting up boardgame meets, and my (public) group has had loads of issues even with pubs. The usual deal that we try to make is that we don't have to pay any kind of fee to the pub, but "pay" them in increased drinks/food purchases during days where they wouldn't usually have many people coming. Renting areas in Central London is prohibitively expensive, otherwise. There are only a few gaming shops that have any kind of space available, and usually they are either infested with magic players (Dark Sphere, where even my X-Wing gaming group sometimes can't book tables), or they are already gaming cafes (warboar, that gaming cafe in the east end).

There's a regular boardgame meet up in a pub here in Cambridge and it has the stereotypical tiny tables that shudder whenever you set down a drink. It's a constant source of amazement that they still hold it.

I suppose if it's more of a gastropub then you'll have tables larger than a typical home dining table so that could work

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Tekopo posted:

How are British pubs music-wise? Every time I've gone to a board game meetup at a bar in the US, they crank up the music the level that is prohibitive to boardgaming, and they will absolutely NOT turn it down (and yet people still keep arranging boardgaming at these places, despite space being really cheap where I am).

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Paper Kaiju posted:

How are British pubs music-wise? Every time I've gone to a board game meetup at a bar in the US, they crank up the music the level that is prohibitive to boardgaming, and they will absolutely NOT turn it down (and yet people still keep arranging boardgaming at these places, despite space being really cheap where I am).

It varies quite a bit but, I'd say, most don't have any. Or it's sufficiently non intrusive than I don't notice it

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
tacos

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

My own experience is that having music on is very rare. Pubs are basically restaurants, the only time they crank it up is during friday/saturday rush hour. We've asked places to put down the volume in the past and they obliged as well.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on selling used games on BGG marketplace instead of eBay? Someone mentioned earlier that BGG was the way to go, but I have plenty of experience selling on eBay already, with good results, and I'm hesitant to try something different. Is it that much better?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Medium Style posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on selling used games on BGG marketplace instead of eBay? Someone mentioned earlier that BGG was the way to go, but I have plenty of experience selling on eBay already, with good results, and I'm hesitant to try something different. Is it that much better?

I know I've bought off it and it was a pleasant experience and more personal than eBay. Not sure what it's like from a seller's perspective though.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Blamestorm posted:

A bad experience can sour most people on pretty much any game. I would also add that while Agricola is generally regarded very highly, part of that relates to the board game environment when it came out a decade ago when there was much less variety. A lot of people who love many other euros don't like Agricola much so I think it's also cool if it's just not your bag. It has a family mode which doesn't use the cards, as well, which drastically cuts down the amount of possible interactions.

I agree about bad experiences. However, I'm not one to shy away from giving games a second chance, as I did with Roll for the Galaxy. It was a lot more fun (given also, that the goon I played with had the Ambition expansion, which I felt made it MUCH MUCH better) the second time around; the first time ended in a near table flip cause the mechanics caused the pace to grind to a near instant halt. At the time, with 4 new players to euros, it was just a terrible experience for everyone as there was so many rules to wade through. However, the second time around (for me), it was much smoother since I understood/was refreshed on the rules.

The other thing was that with Power Grid and Waterdeep, it was with someone irl that I used to hang out with. Turns out being a sore loser in a euro didn't help amongst the multitude of other reasons why he was an incompetent manchild. But both were much lighter in my opinion, and easier to pick up.

I heard Caverna is supposedly the spiritual successor to Agricola, and at first glance, seems to be pretty much the same game, word for word, just different pictures/theme.

FulsomFrank posted:

I played a game of FCM (my copy) with a guy that was eating sloppy goddam nachos and I saw him get a bit of salsa on his player menu, which made me cry a bit. But then I rationalised it as adding flavour (literally) to the component itself. Right guys? :shepface:

And my friend spilled a pint over my brand new copy of Istanbul right when we were playing it for the first time.

And wine all over Clash of Cultures.

Holy poo poo, I'd go batshit insane. I would never allow food/drink near my games. Just not having card sleeves for games already makes me annoyed, as I've already had a few games where some cards are almost completely irreparably messed up just from condensation left over from cold drinks because I couldn't get the sleeves via mail in time. I was able to semi-save them by drying it off and putting it under a flat heavy object, but you can already see the water marks and where the cardboard has been warped (despite being flattened).

I extend the same respect to all my friends' games too - If I eat food, it's well away/before/after we play, and I wash my hands vigorously to make sure I even touch game pieces. Not saying that everyone should do the same, but at least make some sort of concerted effort to help preserve people's games. :cripes:

Paper Kaiju posted:

I feel like that's a US thing - they just blast music at every loving location to give you hearing loss, then forces you to start yelling at everyone...which causes everyone else to raise their voice. It's a vicious cycle. Yet people enjoy it? :wtc:

Medium Style posted:

BGG works well, but I think they get a cut or something? I forget. Have you tried trading your games away on BGG first? No cut, and might get something you'd like.

I feel eBay lets you get a bigger profit since it's a wider audience, but BGG often offers better condition on things, since it's mostly enthusiasts.

FulsomFrank posted:

I know I've bought off it and it was a pleasant experience and more personal than eBay. Not sure what it's like from a seller's perspective though.

Same, the only issue I have with BGG is their asinine messaging system. I have to actually log in/visit BGG every single time to see if a message shows up or not. Pretty sure there's a setting, but I haven't found it anywhere.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Has anyone put together a teaching aid or common rules mistakes list for A Feast for Odin yet?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Has anyone put together a teaching aid or common rules mistakes list for A Feast for Odin yet?

My friend got this last weekend because "you [I] will be getting Container," so yes this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So how is Cottage Garden? I haven't heard much about it here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dude on BGG made up a USA "island" map for Feast and it's pretty hilarious.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26645144#26645144
https://viking.000webhostapp.com/scenarios/usa_1_0.pdf

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Yesterday I had a random inkling to look up the 90s version of Crossfire, specifically to see how the guns worked. I was theorizing if I could make a four player version, like a reverse Hungry Hungry Hippos, but the cost of two copies was going to be stupid. So I went on BGG to see if anyone had a teardown of how the guns worked and discovered that a Toyrus exclusive version is on shelves now for $25:

It may be time to get caught in the Crossfire.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

GrandpaPants posted:

So how is Cottage Garden? I haven't heard much about it here.

My girlfriend and I are quite fond of it.

Multiplayer patchwork but gotta go fast edition. It really really moves fast and can end abruptly and painfully if you are not careful.

The main difference is that you are not necessarily trying to cover up your entire little square, you just want to cover up the dirt patches and add as many orange pots and glass jars as you can for points when you complete it. BUT you can cover up anything (you haven't already added) to the square board you want, at the cost of those things you covered being scored when the board is complete.

If I had any criticism I'd say that the colours of the game are little dark and the final round's punishment per turn can be particularly cruel if you are not prepared for it, but they're both just a matter of taste.

Bottom line is that if you like patchwork but want a faster, smaller scale, multiplayer version, I would heartily endorse it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone tried Unearth? The art style reminds me lots of Monument Valley and I love it visually.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kinkouin posted:

I heard Caverna is supposedly the spiritual successor to Agricola, and at first glance, seems to be pretty much the same game, word for word, just different pictures/theme.

It's the same mechanics but it's tuned way looser and is a more relaxed and sandboxy game. You don't need to allocate as many of your actions to survival, and are rewarded more for specialization.

I like Agricola more since I think games that only have indirect player interaction need to be wound pretty tight in order to feel like a good contest, but Caverna would definitely be a better experience for someone new to the genre.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

It's the same mechanics but it's tuned way looser and is a more relaxed and sandboxy game. You don't need to allocate as many of your actions to survival, and are rewarded more for specialization.

I like Agricola more since I think games that only have indirect player interaction need to be wound pretty tight in order to feel like a good contest, but Caverna would definitely be a better experience for someone new to the genre.

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can find people to try either or on TTS. I dont think I know anyone who owns either one irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fastbilly1 posted:

Yesterday I had a random inkling to look up the 90s version of Crossfire, specifically to see how the guns worked. I was theorizing if I could make a four player version, like a reverse Hungry Hungry Hippos, but the cost of two copies was going to be stupid. So I went on BGG to see if anyone had a teardown of how the guns worked and discovered that a Toyrus exclusive version is on shelves now for $25:

It may be time to get caught in the Crossfire.

This is a very noble thing you are doing. I await the results with baited breath.