Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm becoming less and less infatuated with AR and especially SR silencers, I've gotten good enough at zeroing in where the suppressed shots are coming from myself, especially for the latter, that I assume others are becoming equally aware unless they're playing with speakers

I'll still pop on a silencer over a compensator in solo games I guess, especially early game, but for duos and squads people are gonna get wise on your position after just a few shots anyway that I'd rather increase my chances of them being rapid, killing shots rather than trying and failing to roleplay splinter cell

Suppressors are pro strategy if you are flank team(or flank guy in duo), once loud team engages, opponents ignore subtle sounds because they're busy with comms/calling things out.

For a prolonged firefight, fooling teams into a bad position is good work. It's one of the best reasons to keep a suppressed p92 with just a single mag on you.

Being loud works for short engagements and ambushes with good positioning, or when defending a stronhold. Otherwise, it's open season on your pan and rear end, as someone flanks you for taking too long or fighting from a bad position.

Of course armchair general strats mean gently caress-all if one squad can't shoot for poo poo and the other squad aces shots on targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

fletcher posted:

Why would you not have an SSD in 2017??

Hey thanks for the informative post

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Well that's unfortunate, had the circle bug out on me in the top 5. It showed me about halfway to the next circle in the little man running graphic but I was already in it according to the minimap. As soon as the circle started moving I was outside the gas and died almost instantly.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

cougar cub posted:

Hey thanks for the informative post

Allow me to expand, Solid state drives are a relatively new form of storage that is much quicker than the old disc-based drives. It vastly improves loading times for any software installed on a solid state drive. It is common practice to install your operating system on a SSD as well as programs that require a lot of resources to be loaded.
(games)

While initially expensive the cost has come down considerably in the past few years, a quick search on newegg shows them going for about $100.00 for a 250 gig drive which is more than ample for PUBG.

Why can't you afford an ssd for your gaming hobby? What poor decisions have you made?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Willfrey posted:

Allow me to expand, Solid state drives are a relatively new form of storage that is much quicker than the old disc-based drives. It vastly improves loading times for any software installed on a solid state drive. It is common practice to install your operating system on a SSD as well as programs that require a lot of resources to be loaded.
(games)

While initially expensive the cost has come down considerably in the past few years, a quick search on newegg shows them going for about $100.00 for a 250 gig drive which is more than ample for PUBG.

Why can't you afford an ssd for your gaming hobby? What poor decisions have you made?

he has a gambling problem

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Willfrey posted:

What poor decisions have you made?

owning the best cosmetic items in every game

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Willfrey posted:

(games)

Hey before I go spend money for a single game maybe there's an easy config change that fixes the problem. Again, thanks for expanding on the solution I already knew about like a douche.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

cougar cub posted:

Is there a best setting to prevent having to wait for buildings to load when a match starts?

(Other than buy an SSD)

16GB of RAM helps. Also in the OP.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I mean the problem is your poo poo is loading too slowly, which is primarily limited by hard drive speed. If you can config up a faster hard drive, more power to you, but he's giving you really the only suggestion that will make a difference.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

cougar cub posted:

Hey before I go spend money for a single game maybe there's an easy config change that fixes the problem. Again, thanks for expanding on the solution I already knew about like a douche.

You should have had an SSD years ago if you use a computer, and you wouldn't be buying it "for a single game", it improves everything.

There is no config that will fix that problem. Buy an SSD, anything that needs to load a large volume of files quickly in 2017 is designed on the assumption that you have an SSD. Getting whiny that you don't like the only valid solution isn't going to help.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
8 matches, 3 chicken dinners. Shameful <1.0 KDA. Life is good.

Lost all the points and more from one of the chicken dinners by dropping on Novorepnoye and rushing to a shotgun fight but I regret nothing.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Hey you fucks having your settings at viewdistance 1 makes the load in of buildings worse than any other number. Go listen to some happy music.

hobbz
Sep 9, 2003

Out in the night, snow fell like confetti over the Devil's parade.
I was 1 of 3 remaining in the last circle size and couldn't figure out why it didn't seem like my UMP suppressor was working. Turns out I had just turned up my speakers so loud that it sounded unsuppressed. Lesson learned.

Also I bought a second set of 5 crates and keys and got a school skirt. Here's hoping the price doesn't drop too much by next week when I can sell it.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I know it would be abused, but I'd like a /stuck command to get me out of being trapped by terrain. Died to the zone at #5 today because, just outside the church near the Ruins, there's a vat of quicksand disguised as a pile of rocks...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

a stuck command for the infinitesimally small number of cases where it would be legitimately used vs the amount people would try to abuse it is a really dumb idea.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

If you have a frag grenade you can lob it sorta close to yourself to knock yourself out of some places that get you stuck. It saved me after getting snagged on a fence on the north side of the water town.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So when playing Squads what sort of penalties are there for team killing? Or is that just a "durr get over it" thing Bluehole have decided to rely on?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Unfunny Poster posted:

So when playing Squads what sort of penalties are there for team killing? Or is that just a "durr get over it" thing Bluehole have decided to rely on?

you get banned for purposely team killing even if you tk someone whos shooting you

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Unfunny Poster posted:

If someone reports you for it (and better yet, records it) you get a temp ban. Aside from that, seems like there's nothing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

underage at the vape shop posted:

you get banned for purposely team killing even if you tk someone whos shooting you

Ashrik posted:

If someone reports you for it (and better yet, records it) you get a temp ban. Aside from that, seems like there's nothing.

OK. Had a dude just kill me for no reason when we were down to final 4 (us 2 vs 2 others) even though we were sitting right next to each other for a good five minutes. Ended up losing too which is why I asked because it's incredibly dumb that stuff would go unpunished.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I opened one paid crate and got camouflage hot pants. I never need to buy another crate again.

I mean, I'm gonna, but I don't have to.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

cougar cub posted:

Friend, buying an SSD is not for a single game- it will make your life improve dramatically in every way imaginable. You are living in the stone age. Allow me to be the 10th person to dogpile you, so hopefully you will "get it" and go buy yourself one.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

greasyhands posted:

Friend, buying an SSD is not for a single game- it will make your life improve dramatically in every way imaginable. You are living in the stone age. Allow me to be the 10th person to dogpile you, so hopefully you will "get it" and go buy yourself one.

Surely a single config line can fix all of the performance issues in this game, can't it???

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VulgarandStupid posted:

Surely a single config line can fix all of the performance issues in this game, can't it???

Thank you for telling me how to properly fix my issue, you gigantic douche

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

underage at the vape shop posted:

Thank you for telling me how to properly fix my issue, you gigantic douche

No problem, I pride myself on a well written and up date OP.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The invisible building bug is annoying af and I hope they get it fixed soon. It's also insane that you can still shoot people inside buildings if buildings don't render for you.

It depends™ on what, exactly, you'd be shooting through. Big buildings seem pretty good at eating shots anyway, but the concrete shacks and the walls you can jump over don't seem to. You'll see the bloodsprays as if you hit regardless, but that doesn't mean you're actually doing damage.

Source: The three AWM shots I put into somebody not downing them. I was legitimately curious to see if they were doing any kind of validation of the bullet trajectories which is the only reason I stuck around that game long enough to try. I also discovered it's pretty easy to trigger for me by tabbing out during the match loading screen :ssh:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've yet to get buildings not popping up, but I get the game freeze to network lag detected problem every single game and it's really difficult not to rage hard when it happens in the middle of an early firefight and gets me killed because my character is running into a wall while I'm staring at a non-moving screen

Like early last week I thought it was fixed in that the lag only lasted for like a second or less instead of 10, but here we are, and the full 10+ seconds are back for no discernible reason.

Also every 'fix' people have recommended for it is inane bs like turning on high performance mode (who doesn't have power settings on that already), installing on an SSD (of course I have my game on an ssd, i'm not an animal), command lines that do nothing or uninstalling programs I've never even heard of

at this point i'm 99% sure it's a problem on their end and not something that can be fixed on an individual level

Used to always happen on the plane ride in and I thought that was annoying, but it's actually way worse now that it occurs when on the ground

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 15, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
It makes your os load faster after the Trojan/memory leaks/bad ram/power source failures force you to restart. Took mine down to 10s instead of 5 min every half hour.

It also makes your dick harder longer (but not too long)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

MrBadidea posted:

It depends™ on what, exactly, you'd be shooting through. Big buildings seem pretty good at eating shots anyway, but the concrete shacks and the walls you can jump over don't seem to. You'll see the bloodsprays as if you hit regardless, but that doesn't mean you're actually doing damage.

Source: The three AWM shots I put into somebody not downing them. I was legitimately curious to see if they were doing any kind of validation of the bullet trajectories which is the only reason I stuck around that game long enough to try. I also discovered it's pretty easy to trigger for me by tabbing out during the match loading screen :ssh:

I had some weird stuff going on today. Some guys drove up to a house, and I moved up to get a shot on them. I shoot them a bit then they shoot me. I run around a bit and take cover behind a tree. They keep shooting at me, but it's different than usual. I'm still getting snaps and whizzes, but the bullets are slamming into the tree in front of me AFTER the corresponding snap/whiz. This doesn't usually happen, it could be they didn't see the tree or something, I don't know. Pretty sure I was on Asian servers and I've seen a huge spike in cheaters lately.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The deadliest thing in the game is trying to ride the motorcycle with the sidecar in first-person.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The deadliest thing in the game is trying to ride the motorcycle with the sidecar in first-person.
Or, as I've learned in just the last 15 minutes alone, trying to jump through a hole in a wall. Or trying to loot. Or shooting at someone from point blank range. All of these things are a recipe for death.

They got my $30 and they can keep them, I guess.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I love driving the vehicles in 1pp. Its so much more intense and I think the decreased visibility really makes it a challenge. Motorcycles are even more of a deathtrap but doing a flip on one is even more crazy now.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Apparently there was a patch yesterday that added a new feature they didn't tell us about.

https://clips.twitch.tv/TacitHyperFalconUWot

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've yet to get buildings not popping up, but I get the game freeze to network lag detected problem every single game and it's really difficult not to rage hard when it happens in the middle of an early firefight and gets me killed because my character is running into a wall while I'm staring at a non-moving screen

Like early last week I thought it was fixed in that the lag only lasted for like a second or less instead of 10, but here we are, and the full 10+ seconds are back for no discernible reason.

Also every 'fix' people have recommended for it is inane bs like turning on high performance mode (who doesn't have power settings on that already), installing on an SSD (of course I have my game on an ssd, i'm not an animal), command lines that do nothing or uninstalling programs I've never even heard of

at this point i'm 99% sure it's a problem on their end and not something that can be fixed on an individual level

Used to always happen on the plane ride in and I thought that was annoying, but it's actually way worse now that it occurs when on the ground

I've been getting the same thing. A couple minutes into the game I'll get a freeze up for 5-10 seconds, a flash of the network lag screen and then everything is fine. I did the high power thing and it went away for a couple of days before coming back. I'll often have chrome open to dick around on while waiting on people and last night I closed it completely before starting a couple of games and didn't have the issue. So maybe it's some kind of memory issue? I recently upgraded to 16GB of RAM and weirdly never had the issue before doing that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bohemian Nights posted:

Also every 'fix' people have recommended for it is inane bs like turning on high performance mode (who doesn't have power settings on that already)

most people.

i've never had to do it for anything. unless that video said it was the lag fix i would've just had to live with not playing anymore. it's insane bs not inane.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

fknlo posted:

I've been getting the same thing. A couple minutes into the game I'll get a freeze up for 5-10 seconds, a flash of the network lag screen and then everything is fine. I did the high power thing and it went away for a couple of days before coming back. I'll often have chrome open to dick around on while waiting on people and last night I closed it completely before starting a couple of games and didn't have the issue. So maybe it's some kind of memory issue? I recently upgraded to 16GB of RAM and weirdly never had the issue before doing that.

Have you updated your BIOS and checked to make sure everything was set correctly after upgrading your RAM?

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

If you have a frag grenade you can lob it sorta close to yourself to knock yourself out of some places that get you stuck. It saved me after getting snagged on a fence on the north side of the water town.

A teammate got stuck inside a dumpster once and being downed didn't unstick him. I ended up two-wheeling a jeep with the wheels resting on the dumpster and lo-and-behold it let him teleport inside.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

cougar cub posted:

An SSD will help for every game. And it's a pretty easy config change.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Thief posted:

yeah since that game i have mostly just been dropping into the school and military base with friends to have quick shootouts so i'm getting a better feel for when to actually open up on people rather than be overly conservative

like squad, the gunplay and combat in this game are cool for what it is but i've actually been having more fun with the mic - esepcially when playing on servers where people speak languages i can't understand but trying to work with them as a team

Nice, yea the deathmatch school & military is fun and nice for honing in those CQC skills, specifically in this game, since close quarters can be a little wonky in this game. Squad play is absolutely my favorite game mode. Followed by Duos, then Solo.

I've been having a lot of fun on the mic too. Early on I couldn't talk in-game, but, for anyone with this problem, it turns out if you disable all the extra recording devices in windows it should work. Seems the game just chose the wrong one by default. (Right click speaker icon near sys tray, recording devices).

Cinara posted:

There's no stat tracking in FPP so a lot more people are dropping military / school for some action. Actually drives me crazy sometimes because you can't find anyone mid game.

I never thought about why, but you're probably right. A page back I even pre-empted my first fpp win video with "I tried to find people... but it only happened in the beginning and the end"

nachos posted:

Well that's unfortunate, had the circle bug out on me in the top 5. It showed me about halfway to the next circle in the little man running graphic but I was already in it according to the minimap. As soon as the circle started moving I was outside the gas and died almost instantly.

This gas poo poo is going to drive me mad, I think because I never played H1Z1. This bubble/circle is very clearly electricity or plasma(which is still NOT a gas!), perhaps it's an electrified noble gas giving off the cool purple colors, maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The blue is the ghost zone. Energy draining ghosts is the only explanation that makes sense to me.

• Locked thread