Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, while I like Blue Sphere, I think using them as the checkpoint minigames was not a good move. They're way too long compared to the short minigames you'd see in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sonic Mania is really drat good.

Like...drat good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Watched a friend retry the boss of CPZ Act 2 again. He won only for Sonic to zip through the floor and pop out the bottom of the stage in a death pose. Boy as cool as this boss is it certainly is souring everything for him :v:

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Oh my loving god this game is actually loving good and I really have no idea what my life is right now. I've played Brood War and a loving 2d sonic game for the past 12 hours and both of them were released this week.

:aaa:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Watched a friend retry the boss of CPZ Act 2 again. He won only for Sonic to zip through the floor and pop out the bottom of the stage in a death pose. Boy as cool as this boss is it certainly is souring everything for him :v:

Falling through the floor and dying after beating the CPZ boss is traditional. :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Falling through the floor and dying after beating the CPZ boss is traditional. :v:

Yeah got a laugh out of it, but then it locked him in the room again so :shrug:

Warning for switch goers I guess, that boss is ultra buggy. Can't say I had the misfortune but eh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I hope that whatever optimizations and fixes are planned for the PC version come to the other versions as well. My experience with the Switch port had some occasional hiccups here and there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

spoilers for a badnik in Press Garden

Splats, the lost badnik from Sonic 1, is finally a real badnik! He pops out of black jars in Press Garden.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I feel real dumb because I haven't seen a giant ring since Green Hill and I just beat Flying Battery. Also I failed the one I did find :saddowns:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

man nurse posted:

Hot take: blue spheres should not be the game's bonus stage and it breaks up the flow of gameplay too much.

Agreed 100%. It's gotten to the point where I usually ignore them now for the sake of fluidity. I'll go back and get them once I've completed all the levels.

Also I'm on level 7 or something and I've only seen two special stages. They're hidden really well!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

My only issues with the CPZ Act 2 boss were that eggman dropped like 7 layers of trash on me at once and I could not recover from that on my first attempt.

Agreed on the special stage rings though, I'm up to the 7th or 8th area and only seen 4.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i beat the game with all the emeralds

holy poo poo you guys

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so you know how one of the Hardboiled Heavies rides on a MotoBug?

There was a member of the Sonic fan games community called Polygon Jim, who was known for a mod named "MotoBug the Badnik in Sonic the Hedgehog", where you played as, well, a MotoBug. In 2013, he regrettably died in a car accident. Well, according the Motobug that said Hardboiled Heavy rides on is named Jimmy in homage to Polygon Jim.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
here's a tip for normal people that did not play the new sonic game all the way through at midnight: don't feel obligated to do blue spheres. there's a fuckin billion levels and a billion checkpoints and you only need like 20 rings to get in. do them when you want to

here's a tip for arfjason: some of these new blue sphere levels are gonna give you an aneurysm

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I realise that the blue sphere levels aren't priority but after years of playing S3+K I feel compelled to jump into every single one purely out of habit.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah got a laugh out of it, but then it locked him in the room again so :shrug:

Warning for switch goers I guess, that boss is ultra buggy. Can't say I had the misfortune but eh.

It worked fine for me. It I had to take a guess tell him to not push anything when he beats the boss. Game might be getting confused when it tries to suck you out

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ugh this game is so gooooood

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I am actually loving the new blue spheres, especially since it seems like they're one and done this time

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Actually what is the reward for doing blue spheres?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Actually what is the reward for doing blue spheres?

Unlock poo poo.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh lol. I hadn't restarted the game since I started playing and I just saw all the new stuff.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This game is great, but I have to stop playing becuase of work. :(

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Frankston posted:

Oh my loving god the Chemical Plant Zone boss you guys :allears:

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Holy poo poo the chemical plant boss

DivisionPost posted:

Chemical Plant Zone boss is loving AMAZING and the kind of thing only legit Sonic nerds would come up with.

Literally yelled "HOLY poo poo!" out loud at 1 in the goddamn morning when I saw it, after simply expecting something akin to the original. The boss fights in this are delightful.

I am so hopeless at the special stages now though, my reflexes are shot. And I actually got a Time Over on Hydrocity 2. I guess this is what it's like to be those worthless sub-creatures who couldn't get Super Sonic until Oil Ocean or work out how to use the Carnival Night barrel.

Oh and scan lines 4 lyfe, yo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How do you do the drop dash?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm at work right now and can't play mania so I busted out Sonic 2 on my phone and i'm playing it sneakily at my desk. :3:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I played the first two zones on my train ride home and jesus christ the end of the second zone came out of nowhere lmao

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

After jumping, press and hold the jump button again. I'm not sure if it works when you have a fire/water/lightning shield but when I tried to do it I wasn't able to pull it off.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hold down and jump in the air.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I absolutely love the fusion levels they have going on for some of the classic levels.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I still miss Angel Island Zone. :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I bought it at midnight UK/Irish time but went to sleep then, I played the first Act of Green Hill Zone before going to work and it gave me all the feels. Sonic 3 was the original game which I played the least (outside of CD which I've never played) so I'm not as familiar with the Blue Sphere minigame.

13 year old me would have his mind blown that I was playing a Sonic the Hedgehog game on a Nintendo console.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I am really bad at the special stages

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I was having a really good time until the Mirage Saloon zone. Absolute joykill bad zone yuck.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just finished the Stardust Speedway boss fight.

Of all the things they could have referenced, they used THAT?! What a deep cut.

TG-Chrono posted:

I was having a really good time until the Mirage Saloon zone. Absolute joykill bad zone yuck.

I had absolutely no issues with this zone. It's not even really that hard. I don't get this at all. Hell, it even felt like it was over too soon.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Level design: 9/10, but a few frustrating new gimmicks
Music: solid 10/10
Boss design: 5/10, many bosses can only be described as "loving retarded" for one reason or another. Many times it is awesome concept, poor execution.

edit: also there appears to be a bug on water levels where you stand on top of bubbles but an air bubble never comes. Unfortunate

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 15, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
you don't need to use the r-word to express your frustrations

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I just finished the Stardust Speedway boss fight.

I had absolutely no issues with this zone. It's not even really that hard. I don't get this at all. Hell, it even felt like it was over too soon.

Sorry I'll try and be right about what I found fun next time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Only boss I have problems with is Stardust Speedways for being *really* loving long with no checkpoints. Dying to the last bit and having to redo everything kinda sucked the energy out of how cool it was otherwise.

That and Oil Oceans which I just finished. It took 5 lives and that boss in general just felt really reeeally lovely. Like it had no redeeming qualities to it at all.

Shoutouts to Mirage Saloons though, I just wish it went on longer. (surprise spoilers) I don't even know what Bark does, he just stood around lookin weird until I hit him.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TG-Chrono posted:

Sorry I'll try and be right about what I found fun next time.

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm just presenting a contrasting viewpoint and wondering what the issues you had with it are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

Really? I enjoyed the heck out of it, especially act 1.