Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The national focus trees exist to kind of force more variation than would likely occur with just the basic game mechanics by making big dramatic shifts in national identity just a matter of completing a 70 day focus tree node. Since in the other games, those shifts are already possible by engaging with the mechanics over a longer period of time, they aren't really necessary.
I agree with your basic perspective, but not necessarily your conclusion. I feel like Vicky II has a lot of weaknesses when it comes to how it handles governments, from the lack of inertia when a new ruling party comes to power, the way they're hard-locked for certain ideologies, to how going all oppressive is the best way to reform. A solution to all of those issues would be something like:

National Character Tree: An RPG skill tree for governments. Your government type is just a name defined by the Traits you've chosen. Traits are bought with Political Power, which is gained over time based on the strength of the ruling party. Traits can be refunded with Refund Points, gained over time, through landslide elections, and especially revolutions. Political Power and Refund Points are lost when the ruling party changes. Party ideology defines which paths you can choose from, pop ideology how they react to it. Having a lot of Political Power but not doing anything with them should cause discontent among the pops that are ideologically aligned with the party in power. Political power can be used for other stuff too, in case you really don't want to go down the paths offered to you by the party in power. (Essentially distracting the people with war and poo poo since you aren't holding to your election promises.)

I think the above would do a lot to deepen the mechanics of government in Vicky III compared to II, while still being very intuitive. It would give countries a sort of inertia too, so for example a communist revolution in a tsarist autocracy would have a harder time breaking from the authoritarian tendencies of its government than one in a country with some traditions of democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Patter Song posted:

Yes, Hearts of Iron takes place over a decade, not a century like Vicky or a third of a millennium like EU3 or three quarters of a millennium like CK2. The contingency in the game is supposed to be "what if the results of the war were different in way X," not "What if a fascist UK wanted to reconquer the United States" or something.

There's an achievement for the UK to conquer the entire world. It's not even a particularly hard achievement.

I love the game though, just wish the AI was a bit better at it. Currently their unit designs, naval strategy, and dealing with resistance are really bad, their willingness to engage in attacks they won't win is too high, and their willingness to advance into empty territory is too low.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
If Vicky 3 can have an economy that makes sense, Ill declare it GOTY even if it somehow wipes my hard drive if I play it for more than 6 minutes. I love Vicky II and it is my second most played Paradox game but I still don't understand how the hell I'm supposed to manipulate the economy and I basically ignore it most of the time.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I'd like to see heads of state/government being modeled, so that different governments get a little bit of a different personality. After all, it's ineptitude of various monarchs that made turn of the century politics such an exciting affair.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What's wrong with having your government form be determined by laws which in turn you can activate when your population pressures you enough? Why does it need to be political mana instead?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vicky does a particularly poor job of answering 'who does the player represent?' and therefore the powers you have available always seem a bit weird.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

What's wrong with having your government form be determined by laws which in turn you can activate when your population pressures you enough? Why does it need to be political mana instead?
The problem as I see it with the militancy system is that it assumes the population at large is the near sole driver of political reform, on top of being very unidirectional. Adding a layer of party politics and lobbying from aristocrats and capitalists, which give you the chance to push reforms your populace might not be clamoring for, because you know better, would be very much inline with how politics actually work - and importantly, by making things like the limits on taxes and tariffs laws you have to change, it'd prevent the massive election day swings when a new party comes into power and cuts government revenue in half in a day.

Alchenar posted:

Vicky does a particularly poor job of answering 'who does the player represent?' and therefore the powers you have available always seem a bit weird.
Yeah, that is definitely a big part of it. I think trying to make the player represent the establishment would probably make the most sense. Not sure exactly how you'd reward it in-game though - what's good for the establishment might not line up with what's good in gameplay terms for someone trying to plant flags everywhere. Maybe low taxes on the rich and a lack of political reform could give you ticking prestige? That would encourage you to act in the interest of the rich and powerful, and importantly, encourage you to go conquer stuff to pay for the social reforms your populace have foisted upon you, since the rich won't.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Are you saying us Paradox fans' power representatives wouldn't be weirdos?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mans posted:

Are you saying us Paradox fans' power representatives wouldn't be weirdos?
They'd be weirdos, but unable to carry out any of their plans.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Constitutional Monarchies (HM's Government) ended up massively overpowered in V2 because it has all the trappings of democracy yet still lets the player arbitrarily dismiss the government and replace it with the ruling party of his/her choice. By the time royal authority diminishes to the point where HM's Government applies, royals don't just randomly dismiss governments anymore.

Your people are happy because of their Universal Suffrage with Secret Ballots and Free Press and all the rest...and you just say "nope, I think the Reactionaries are going to run, sorry about your Liberal landslide."

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Patter Song posted:

Constitutional Monarchies (HM's Government) ended up massively overpowered in V2 because it has all the trappings of democracy yet still lets the player arbitrarily dismiss the government and replace it with the ruling party of his/her choice. By the time royal authority diminishes to the point where HM's Government applies, royals don't just randomly dismiss governments anymore.

Your people are happy because of their Universal Suffrage with Secret Ballots and Free Press and all the rest...and you just say "nope, I think the Reactionaries are going to run, sorry about your Liberal landslide."

It's a shame you can't mechanically appoint the Communist party as a way for your king to sneakily abdicate the throne

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

Doesn't appointing a ruling party cause a militancy boost in all the pops that didn't vote for them, though? It seems like it should.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Doesn't appointing a ruling party cause a militancy boost in all the pops that didn't vote for them, though? It seems like it should.

Yeah it does, that's why you boost liberal popularity in elections and then put in a party that doesn't have loving laissez-faire so you can get a better economy AND reap the militancy for more reforms. Duh.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think paradox games need less mana tbh

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I have a hankering to play a mapgame about modern (at least post WW2, can be immediately post, Cold War, or 2000s) times. I've played Shadow President too many times, and I'm burnt out on its bugs. Realpolitiks is shallow and frustrating. What other options do I have? I'm okay with full games or mods of any Paradox game.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Cantorsdust posted:

I have a hankering to play a mapgame about modern (at least post WW2, can be immediately post, Cold War, or 2000s) times. I've played Shadow President too many times, and I'm burnt out on its bugs. Realpolitiks is shallow and frustrating. What other options do I have? I'm okay with full games or mods of any Paradox game.

If you're okay with playing a game that's complete poo poo, there's always Superpower.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cantorsdust posted:

Soup du Jour posted:

If you're okay with playing a game that's complete poo poo, there's always Superpower.

I've been looking at both of these games on Steam but can't really find out a lot about them - can anyone give a detailed breakdown of how they play, and how they would compare to Paradox games?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Soup du Jour posted:

Yes, or Power & Revolution

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I played Superpower 2 when it came out. At the time it was a looker (which is funny looking at screenshots of the interface now), but it was filled with half baked systems with easy exploits and AI that didn't know how to use them (I found a formula for infinite economic growth at like hour 2.)

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've been looking at both of these games on Steam but can't really find out a lot about them - can anyone give a detailed breakdown of how they play, and how they would compare to Paradox games?

I haven't played Superpower since probably 2006, and yet even then as a middle schooler I thought it was complete garbage that didn't make sense at all.

You basically play as any given nation ca 1997 and most of the game is throwing your armies at other nations in semi-realtime battles and then hope you don't gently caress up. There's trade and politics but they're so rudimentary you'd think EU2 is the Matrix.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

This

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In V3 we've done away with the confusing simulation-like systems and replaced it with extremely abstracted points for all the things you'd want more detail and control in, and added ridiculous levels of micro-management and meaningless choices to other areas of the game. Capitalists now generate capital points in relation to their percentage size of your population which spend to invest in development slots in provinces which are then filled with factories. Each country has a hand-crafted ideology tree which nicely pigeon holes them into a few pre-defined options, most of which are only any good if the countries around you take certain choices them selves and are unlocked by generating Ideology Points, which are generated based on the % of clergy in your nation because we couldn't think of something else for clergy to do and need everything to be symmetrical. Special buildings generate new Loyalty Gems which are spent on policy cards, and a new deck-building system that's replacing the confusing reforms from earlier versions, but be careful, if another country plays a card before you that card becomes more rare unless you hire special Great Person characters which allow you to "stack the deck" in a fun mini-game. Great Persons have up to 30 customizable special slots ranging from shoes to hats to medals and awards that level up their effectiveness in an exciting game of rock paper scissors (note: scissors are useless and in fact a swarm of naked leaders generates the most policy bonuses) In future DLC as we realize the game's core mechanics are kinda boring or not working as intended we'll just keep tacking on more and more forms of slowly ticking mana for you to spend on things, or sweeping changes that just change stats but don't really address the core problems.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

In V3 we've done away with the confusing simulation-like systems and replaced it with extremely abstracted points for all the things you'd want more detail and control in, and added ridiculous levels of micro-management and meaningless choices to other areas of the game. Capitalists now generate capital points in relation to their percentage size of your population which spend to invest in development slots in provinces which are then filled with factories. Each country has a hand-crafted ideology tree which nicely pigeon holes them into a few pre-defined options, most of which are only any good if the countries around you take certain choices them selves and are unlocked by generating Ideology Points, which are generated based on the % of clergy in your nation because we couldn't think of something else for clergy to do and need everything to be symmetrical. Special buildings generate new Loyalty Gems which are spent on policy cards, and a new deck-building system that's replacing the confusing reforms from earlier versions, but be careful, if another country plays a card before you that card becomes more rare unless you hire special Great Person characters which allow you to "stack the deck" in a fun mini-game. Great Persons have up to 30 customizable special slots ranging from shoes to hats to medals and awards that level up their effectiveness in an exciting game of rock paper scissors (note: scissors are useless and in fact a swarm of naked leaders generates the most policy bonuses) In future DLC as we realize the game's core mechanics are kinda boring or not working as intended we'll just keep tacking on more and more forms of slowly ticking mana for you to spend on things, or sweeping changes that just change stats but don't really address the core problems.

Sold.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phi230 posted:

I was fine with EU4 when it was just monarch points. I thought that was a solid system, really. Then they added power projection. Then they made prestige and legitimacy much more fluid and expendable. Then they added splendor. Then they added three new point pools to the Russian states.

Not gonna lie, it's gotten a bit silly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Where do I sign up?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was fine with EU4 when it was just monarch points. I thought that was a solid system, really. Then they added power projection. Then they made prestige and legitimacy much more fluid and expendable. Then they added splendor. Then they added three new point pools to the Russian states.

Not gonna lie, it's gotten a bit silly.

EU4 almost sounds like an idle clicker game now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Baronjutter posted:

Sounds great, where do I submit a flag design.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Sounds great, where do I submit a flag design.

Your rear end in a top hat

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I think a sphere grid (bidirection focus graph?) system might work well in a Paradox game. Like maybe Russia starts off in one part of the grid, but you could still try to tech straight into the Chinese grid section if you really wanted to (or just start the game in International Zodiac mode).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I think a sphere grid (bidirection focus graph?) system might work well in a Paradox game. Like maybe Russia starts off in one part of the grid, but you could still try to tech straight into the Chinese grid section if you really wanted to (or just start the game in International Zodiac mode).

this sounds crazy and i love it

path of paradox

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh jesus christ if johan is paying any attention, unironically do this.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That is actually no jokes a great idea

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The sphere grid was the solution HoI needed all along. How did we never notice this before?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Another good quarter for Paradox! https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/interim-report-january-june-2017/ Also some hints that they might announce a new game during gamescon next week.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Super Jay Mann posted:

EU4 almost sounds like an idle clicker game now.

It is in single-player. In MP it is a graphic Excel usersheet that you carefully curate to smash on the others players Excel sheet until only one is left standing.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ZearothK posted:

It is in single-player. In MP it is a graphic Excel usersheet that you carefully curate to smash on the others players Excel sheet until only one is left standing.

All while being either a backbiting, over dramatic tryhard, or being a verbally loose, babbling comedic fool.

I guess you could also be good at diplomacy and session chat, but that seems less fun.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

What, you mean like in Path of Exile?? I like it! That's elegant and awesome. It gives some constraint and focus so you can do gamelike things, but doesn't pigeonhole players in a top-down fashion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

DrSunshine posted:

What, you mean like in Path of Exile?? I like it! That's elegant and awesome. It gives some constraint and focus so you can do gamelike things, but doesn't pigeonhole players in a top-down fashion.

It is possible to overdo it though, like in Path of Exile where the concept of a "simple, normal playthrough" doesn't exist, because every character is a Frankenstein's Monster made out of at least half a dozen different systems intersecting and the game is designed around the idea that you will be actively attempting to break it as hard as you can all the time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i need a lovely mspaint drawing proof of concept before i can condone this idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe