Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Boy this restaurant is great, they are serving fresh never frozen salad in winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Farm to table restaurants are a niche, they advertise themselves based on the illusion that they are more "authentic" than regular restaurants, but that's just their marketing gimmick. It's like the Rainforest Cafe, except instead of eating in a fake rainforest you get to pretend that you aren't living in a late-stage capitalist hellscape completely alienated from every aspect of life.

I'm afraid it's you, anchorpunch, who have been tricked by advertisement lies, lies far more seductive and pernicious than any commercial for Panera Bread

....the fat american said, while munching down his mcdonalds burger.
im sure you think star bucks is a café, too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reminder that france of all places is home to a restaurant-or-whatever chain that has sold such things as a darth vader burger dyed entirely black and a homer simpson burger served on a bagel

You dumb americans!!

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
I know this may be a controversial take but...

I would rather they remade Xenogears with a proper second disc than a FF7 remake.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

anchorpunch posted:

If you are comforted by purchasing the illusion of authenticity, I'm happy for you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My standard of food is that I like the taste and it doesn't make me physically ill.
I'll try to go for the healthier options most times because boy howdy, do I like vegetables! But sometimes a Krispy Kreme doughnut is pretty good, too. Somehow balance is this site's most unpopular opinion.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

anchorpunch posted:

Sometimes more expensive things are not better

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have seen some stuff in the last few years where people on the Internet who I would have thought were on the left were proclaiming themselves to be "anti-free speech". Where has all that come from?

I think it comes from drawing a distinction between free speech and hate speech. There are things you can say in America that you couldn't say in Australia without possibly facing charges due to hate speech laws, for instance. Free speech advocates argue all speech should be allowed forever, whether you like it or not, other people argue there should be limits that go beyond directly inciting violence and shouting fire in a crowded theatre.

Before people jump up and down screaming about mah rights, people opposing unrestricted free speech aren't arguing for censorship of ideas, for instance, they're arguing against stuff like the specific language used by groups like the Westboro Baptist Church. So a white pride march would be allowed, but chanting things like "niggers are apes" would not.

Personally I think hate speech laws are cool and good, and unrestricted free speech is bad and dumb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why should saying 'niggers are apes' be illegal? Anyone that says that will pay a price from society. Someone will post their pictures all over the internet, they'll be pretty much universally ridiculed, and they'll probably lose their jobs. I'm totally for people being able to say whatever they want (sans violence) and the government can't do anything about it. People just have to know there are consequences from your community.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
There aren't always consequences from the community, particularly in horribly racist communities where saying that gets someone applauded, not fired, and because of the impacts that hearing that kind of thing can have on the affected class of person (see: high rates of suicide in young LGBTI people, directly traceable to bullying and homophobic abuse), particularly if it's frequent and from many sources, and also because of a general philosophical argument that hate speech is hosed up, and society shouldn't allow or encourage it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i think now would be a good time to say again: i'm in favor of letting owners of local businesses deny service to whomever they want, see: nazis, kkk, antifa.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

i think now would be a good time to say again: i'm in favor of letting owners of local businesses deny service to whomever they want, see: nazis, kkk, antifa.

Why Antifa? They are not the same as Nazis.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

We Know Catheters posted:

Why Antifa? They are not the same as Nazis.

they're white

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

🙄

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mu Zeta posted:

Why should saying 'niggers are apes' be illegal? Anyone that says that will pay a price from society. Someone will post their pictures all over the internet, they'll be pretty much universally ridiculed, and they'll probably lose their jobs

Or in some cases they will be given jobs, such as president of the united states

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Some people eat salads with live snails in them.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I feel kinda sorry for people who think certain things are good

like WOW, your THAT naive and dumb? To enjoy things? Wowzers.

Secretly I envy you. To be so innocent

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think its hosed up that Google can de list web sites based on how lovely they are. I loving hate the South and nazis and racists, but if some mouth breathing confederate sympathizer wants to google how to join a group or how to buy a confederate flag, it shouldnt be censored. The free flow of information should remain intact always.

Now, if groups want to shame these assholes im all for it, or if they want to flag the site with a warning that Gen Sherman would not approve and that earnest visitors are pieces of poo poo, or have it flagged for terrorist activities, thats fine.

But they shouldnt restrict free speech and free information access.

Also doxxing isnt cool, but those assholes were there in person, so, im having a hard time finding a problem with folks letting employers know their employees are nazis. The only concern i have is that this could extend to other groups like atheists or blm or some such that could get doxxed like that and suffer negative consequences. It lays bare the inherent clash between private enterprise and the 1st amendment and shows that worker protections are super important.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Doxxing Nazis is good if you actually doxx Nazis, but there are already innocent people being misidentified from that rally.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jastiger posted:

But they shouldnt restrict free speech and free information access.

Google has ZERO obligation to allow this. They are a private corporation and are not bound by the US amendments to guarantee free speech. Google can redirect every search term to a picture of a dog making GBS threads and they're fully within their rights.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Jastiger posted:

The free flow of information should remain intact always.

Google is not a government entity and can't be forced to endorse or provide resources for anything. That's Google's free speech.

quote:

Also doxxing isnt cool

If they're dumb enough to show up to a loving white supremacist event with their face uncovered and get their picture taken, they should absolutely have their lives ruined.

Dross has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Aug 15, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah, shunning a Nazi is preferable to a situation of ultima ratio: killing them in warfare.

The only thing it takes to stop being a Nazi is to stop being a Nazi.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's not even really doxxing if you're caught doing something afk.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

well why not posted:

Google has ZERO obligation to allow this. They are a private corporation and are not bound by the US amendments to guarantee free speech. Google can redirect every search term to a picture of a dog making GBS threads and they're fully within their rights.

I'm not saying that it should be illegal, just that its crappy. It sets a bad precedent.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Jastiger posted:

I'm not saying that it should be illegal, just that its crappy. It sets a bad precedent.

Your alternative sets a worse one and is unenforceable anyway.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

That precedent being "We're not going to help people be racist fuckwits." Not seeing the problem.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If people want to have the platform to be nazis openly on the internet, they are more than welcome to create their own forums (and their own hosting companies if necessary), and create an alternate search engine that doesn't de-list hate sites. As long as they have the money, nothing can stop them from doing this.

Having their site not show up on google doesn't even silence them anyway. The sites are still there (at least, the ones who haven't had their hosting pulled, but again see above), nazis know where the sites are, and if you're an aspiring nazi someone can direct you there if you can't find it on google.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dont care if Nazzies get doxxed. If they had there way we'd all be dead, put into gas chambers and incinerated in mass graves. They too cowardly to try that poo poo without overwhelming numbers but they definitely want it. It is good when a Nazi is revealed for what they are and consequently unable to thrive or even survive.

granted, if you're gonna be doxxing folks, you better make sure you have the right person.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Aug 15, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What happens when nazis start doxxing BLM folks, or pride participants, or random minorities that they take offense to? Who gets to decide which doxxing and harassment is good and cool? This government? That'll work out.

If it's cool to beat nazis in the street then is it cool to jump anyone if you take offense to their beliefs? What if the nazis start jumping back? Is it cool to beat someone from the radical far left down if I'm a bougie upper middle class type and they're advocating violence towards me?

Nazis suck and we should keep close eyes on their protests because they very much can be accused of inciting violence, in which case, take appropriate countermeasures, but you're an idiot if you think we should encourage vigilante justice.

What about people who look like nazis at a rally, but actual the doxxing is on the wrong person? Hell, what if I decide to doxx some rando I have an issue with by slandering them as a nazi. Do you trust some anonymous 4chan rear end in a top hat to correctly identify the culprits? I don't. Remember that rear end in a top hat libertarian cartoonist that 4chan decided was actually a full-on white nationalist and now half the people who hear about him know him as "Zyklon Dan" because 4chan edited all his poo poo to be racist?

IMO we should hold ourselves to higher standards than literal nazis. Like I think pedos should go to jail and not be dragged away and gangraped. I think ISIS fighters who get captured should go to a PoW camp, not a torture center.

Like if someone's publically a nazi laugh at them and call them a worthless loving nazi. If they commit a crime or threaten to, arrest them. Don't harass them like a loving 14-year-old from 2006.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Or just beat the poo poo out of them on live TV, until they understand they should be afraid to be who they are.

This is what they're like when they start to feel safe, and that illusion needs to be broken again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's an awful lot of words to say you don't think it's ok to beat up nazis

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's an unpopular opinion personally held by me: "decorum" is bullshit for people who don't actually believe anything. The problem with nazis isn't that they were mean or that they whatever the 1930s equivalent of Doxxing was, it was that they committed genocide. I hold myself to a higher standard by being opposed to genocide.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
It would be cool not to derail this thread to the forums gas chambers because of politics.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't really know how to articulate it, but I'm not really for outright attacking even the worst society has to offer. I guess in my mind there's a definite line between defending yourself against a physical act of aggression and a ideological one, and it's your job not to escalate as best you can? I can't use the racial example since I'm not a minority in this country, but I can securely say I wouldn't feel comfortable outright punching the people who have said the most repugnant things about women over the years. A physical attack is another story.

And I do understand the folks on the other side who think terrible people deserve vigilante justice. It's just not a line I'm comfortable with crossing.

E: gently caress, I was typing that while the last couple of comments came out. Uh, DOWN PILLOWS SUCK AND I AM NOT A FAN OF PILLOWS, REALLY.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm allergic to down pillows :saddowns:

Let's put a halt to political posting for at least 24 hours guys, it's consuming all of PYF and just makes every thread incredibly tense and unpleasant. I don't care what side you're on or what views you hold if you're a reasonable person I'm sure you can understand why people want to talk about literally anything else for a while.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel different about doxxing people who show up at rallies with signs and violence than I do a bit people who wrongthink online.

Though I do still see why we should be wary.

E: didn't see the above before I posted.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I confess I would be reluctant to go and try beating one of them up because as far as I know they tend to be heavily armed and I am not very brave when it comes to that sort of thing. :shrug:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

I'm allergic to down pillows :saddowns:

Let's put a halt to political posting for at least 24 hours guys, it's consuming all of PYF and just makes every thread incredibly tense and unpleasant. I don't care what side you're on or what views you hold if you're a reasonable person I'm sure you can understand why people want to talk about literally anything else for a while.

OK, let's get back to more neutral topics that won't raise emotions.

anime is good

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

*no politics allowed edit*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Even if we assume Anime is okay (it's not) dubs are vasty superior to subs.