Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm cool with Jurassic Parking up extinct creatures while also preserving the ones we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

What are you doing you loving rear end in a top hat?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Isn't this sort of feminist point? That fictional characters can be anything and therefore people who get bent out of shape over a black James Bond are just projecting their own poo poo onto the characters. Unless this is really supposed to be a :biotruths: thing and because she's a girl, drawing her as anything else is just silly.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Had to do a double take to check the signature. Thought it was a Gorrell.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

It's not an either / or thing. But this is about the level of analysis and depth I expect for these types of people so it's realistic I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its disingenuous to act like a fictional character's gender, race, etc. can be anything. In many cases that is true but some characters are written in such a way that the narrative wouldn't work if you changed those aspects. If Carmen's status as a young black women ever came into play, which it should in a political comic, then that would be the case in Prickly City. But Stantis is a hack that just has her regurgitate conservative talking points so there's no meaningful difference between her and a 70 year old white male republican.

I doubt the gender/race of the Doctor in Dr. Who matters (I don't know enough about it) but its kind of funny that Stantis thinks his political mouthpiece can be whatever he wants. It reflects how little thought he's put into his work and how it appears.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Isn't this sort of feminist point? That fictional characters can be anything and therefore people who get bent out of shape over a black James Bond are just projecting their own poo poo onto the characters. Unless this is really supposed to be a :biotruths: thing and because she's a girl, drawing her as anything else is just silly.
Mainly because it's a super soft ball issue that, unsurprisingly, is already old news nobody is talking about. The announcement was a month ago, which is slow even for a comic schedule.

Stantis is a coward who can only discuss the most agreeable liberal poo poo. When it comes to the disaster of the Trump he just makes vague doom and gloom notions or does the obnoxious "Trump is so rude!" line conservatives like to play in order to appear reasonable.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly one Doctor Who cartoon would have been acceptable. Dragging it into a second with the same premise only draws attention as to why this comic is suddenly caring about British sci-fi instead of literally anything to do with current US politics.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

World Famous W posted:

I'm cool with Jurassic Parking up extinct creatures while also preserving the ones we got.
Yeah, and like His Divine Shadow said, it's not all one or the other. The scientists looking into reviving the mammoth are not, by researching this, ignoring climate change. It's not like we're short-staffing the team that would save the planet by giving too much attention to the mammoth. Science isn't one big room where anyone can work on anything and work in one field neglects another, yet so many people talk about it as though it were -- as if any work on anything but the single most dire scientific issue of our time is a waste.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
Oh boy, gang, it's time to spin the Wheel of Science to find out what we're all going to be working on this month. Gosh I hope it's something important this time and not pig farts again.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Well Prickly City is veering close to the lovely white guy version of that idea: "characters don't have to be white guys, they could be bananas or beach balls or pencils or satellite dishes, or hell, even a women!" Being a woman, or black, should not seem like crazy random bullshit. Prickly City also is trash because it has a black girl as a main character, but never has to examine what it means to be a black girl in America because all the other characters are talking animals.

It's not really feminist, it's just colorblind lukewarm liberal, which is a moral accomplishment for Prickly City I guess.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Starving Wolf posted:

Oh boy, gang, it's time to spin the Wheel of Science to find out what we're all going to be working on this month. Gosh I hope it's something important this time and not pig farts again.

*spins the wheel, lands on the strip of tape labeled 'Sex Robots' covering every other result*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Careful Drinky Duck, you're coming dangerously close to being sensible.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Careful Drinky Duck, you're coming dangerously close to being sensible.

It's pretty full of poo poo to claim Trump ever had an angel, let alone firing his devil.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Death to Amerikkka.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Office Pig posted:

Switching the characters with things to show that it doesn't matter what they look like?

I dunno I'm surprised that it's evidently been two weeks since that announcement.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought it was Wednesday when I woke up, so I was disappointed that there was no Kelly yesterday :gbsmith:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Why aren't geneticists solving global warming right now? :argh:

Starving Wolf posted:

This is basically how I thought it worked when I was a kid and thought it would be the best job in the world. Then I found out that you have to spend ten years in college, pick something absurdly specialized, and spend half your time writing grant proposals. :(

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Sax Solo posted:

It's not really feminist, it's just colorblind lukewarm liberal, which is a moral accomplishment for Prickly City I guess.

I was going to say that this seems to be the best he's ever going to get. Then again, I'll take his lukewarm liberalism over his obnoxious libertarianism.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

You know it occurs to me that a good cartoonist could take the "devil on one shoulder, angel on the other" cliche and make a decent statement on the "both sides are equally bad" thing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Stultus Maximus posted:

Why aren't geneticists solving global warming right now? :argh:

Yeah they could design some sort of carbon-absorbing superbacteria that would breed quickly to undo the damage to the atmosphere and then keep on multiplying until it covers the entire surface and devours us all like a gigantic Blob.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bors' ever increasing contempt for Trump is palpable

And I love it. I just hope his sometimes milquetoast centrist tendencies have been eroded away.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In a few months Bors will just be drawing the fat vampire from Blade as Trump.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
E: nm

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 15, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
As if Trump knows the word "dodecahedron". :rolleyes:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

frankenfreak posted:

As if Trump knows the word "dodecahedron". :rolleyes:

The cartoon explicitly shows a google search for "many sides" just before, but I doubt Trump would extend that much effort anyway.

e: the results I get for '"many sides" -trump' are 1, 2, 3. The word "dodecahedron" is not found on these.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 15, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

e ^^^ My immersion!

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's not an either / or thing. But this is about the level of analysis and depth I expect for these types of people so it's realistic I guess.

Zelda once again presents: Tedious Dinner Party Theater. Honestly, I actually like talking about politics, current events, and social issues and I still have no idea how people put up with that kind of bullshit. Assholes treating normal conversation as an excuse to freak the gently caress out because the world is ending and this is a crisis and what are we going to do about it is the loving worst. I hope we're not supposed to think Tove is the smart, reasonable one here.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

No one in Zelda is smart or reasonable

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Schpyder posted:

No one in Zelda is smart or reasonable

Purposely so, in fact

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Duckbag posted:

e ^^^ My immersion!
When the term "dodecahedron" is in the discussion, "verisimilitude" is the correct term. :rolldice:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Someone got murdered, but MUH STATUES.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

:wow: Please don't take away my statues of brave defenders of slavery just because Nazis killed a few people in the street!

e:fb

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

That take is so amazingly dumb, it's hard to work up the proper contempt.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

gently caress you, TIDOS sympathizer.

quote:

You too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

These are your people ramirez
They have been all along

EMBRACE THEM :unsmigghh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That famous opponent to slavery, General Lee. I shouldn't be surprised he'd be whitewashed.

It reminds me of how some people try to paint Rommel as some sort of noble chivalrous figure who fate tragically put on the wrong side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm surprised it's not a poorly drawn attempt at Heather Heyer with a caption saying she's the only person responsible for her death.

• Locked thread