Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

precision posted:

I can't comprehend how broke brained you have to be to actually be bothered by the "teleporting".

While I am curious to how much time passed this previous episode, some of the teleporting comments make it sound like people don't understand that time isn't fixed in fiction. Just because one episode took place over a day doesn't mean another episode can't represent several months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alan Smithee posted:

I expect Cersei to have a fully grown teenageboyy next ep
Bring back Dean-Charles Chapman for a hat trick.

ghostwritingduck posted:

While I am curious to how much time passed this previous episode, some of the teleporting comments make it sound like people don't understand that time isn't fixed in fiction. Just because one episode took place over a day doesn't mean another episode can't represent several months.
Or importantly; that one episode can cover months for one character and only days for another.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ghostwritingduck posted:

I don't think you will find a single person itt who is confused or upset about time skips, they would have to be pants on head retarded and on a 2nd grade level of intellectual development. People don't like that the same events can selectively take days or months to unfold, depending on the moods& needs of the writers, breaking internal logic and consistency of the story and destroying suspension of disbelief. Further, some characters and places seem to be frozen in time and not experience any plot progression for months to make it easier for the writer to coordinate their plots with he rest of the story. And furthermore

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah, for me it's the fact that time is passing at massively different speeds for different characters and locations. Take the zombie army for example: They mentioned that Bran spent years up north, the army was pretty much all built up when they got up there but all we've seen from it is a few shots of them walking around in the snow. Why haven't they done anything for years? Did the Night King read in the script that he needs to wait for Danny to deliver a dragon to him? "Teleporting" doesn't really matter, because at the rate things are happening it's ridiculous to expect travel scenes. It's just poor storytelling when the viewer has to piece things together in their head to form something resembling a coherent timeline.

Overall I still enjoy the show and I like they're just saying "gently caress it" to any kind of coherence because at least that means stuff is happening. However it's obvious that a lot of it doesn't make any sense if you think about it for a second, and people acting like noticing that stuff makes you some kinda ultrasperg is silly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When Jon said "You weren't gone long" to Dany she should've replied "Actually I was gone for at least a week because it's a very large continent with no fast travel. I mean I have a dragons and that's pretty fast but my Dothraki have only horses so you see it actually took a long time"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
One thing that is definitely silly to do, that a lot people do, is talk about it likes a new development. Robb spent over a month preparing an army and marching it to Riverrun while Ned spent "a few days" in jail and had a couple conversations with Varys. Dany marched thousands of miles across Essos while Ned spent "a few days" settling in at King's Landing. This is the show everyone started watching.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Game of Thrones is like Final Fantasy, we're at the endgame so the characters have unlocked an airship they're using to fast travel everywhere.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
They shoulda called this episode "Meets and Greets".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gortarius posted:

They shoulda called this episode "Meets and Greets".

The Jon Snow Action Squad all meeting up in the cells was pretty hilarious.

Jon: "Hound!"
Gendry: "Berric!"
Jorah: "Thoros!"
Tormund: "Mormont!"
Berric: "Jon!"
Hound: "Berric!"

Also, if Cersei's faking her pregnancy I think she's lying to Qyburn about it too, that's what they're murmuring about when Jaime comes in.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

This season is heavily implied to have covered a significant period of time. The show is skipping the traveling scenes.

Also, The mountain is a proto-wight. Qyburn is gonna be super jazzed at what they bring back and will figure out how the Children created the first White Walkers. Right as the Night King is killed, Cersei will turn herself into a walker and become the Night's Queen and kill whoever the fans like most at that particular moment.

but the issue is that things that should happen between those scenes dont happen. arya has been at winterfell for months now, but it still seems like shes been there for a couple of days. same with jon snow and dany at dragonstone.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my opinion all the characters should be constantly gasping and tired because they've been alive for like decades and that's exhausting poo poo. Unrealistic.

Maybe they could do one of those one on one interview things like in Modern Family where Jon could be like "So I've been here at Dragonstone for 4 months now. It's quite boring and I'm getting restless. Dany's kinda cute... I met her dragon the other day so that's cool"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Alan Smithee posted:

I expect Cersei to have a fully grown teenageboyy next ep

He already died of old age RIP, sorry

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Jon Snow Action Squad all meeting up in the cells was pretty hilarious.

Jon: "Hound!"
Gendry: "Berric!"
Jorah: "Thoros!"
Tormund: "Mormont!"
Berric: "Jon!"
Hound: "Berric!"

Also, if Cersei's faking her pregnancy I think she's lying to Qyburn about it too, that's what they're murmuring about when Jaime comes in.

Or she told him to obliquely mention it when they knew Jaime was walking in and in his deranged mind he immediately jumped to "Do you want me to terminate that for you?"

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Remember when the army of the dead could run?

Do they remember they can run?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

HoneyBoy posted:

Remember when the army of the dead could run?

Do they remember they can run?

They got tired.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

So the White Walkers were at Hardhome with Jon then started marching south towards Eastwatch which looks like a hundred miles or something, easily the shortest distance between any two locations on the map

In that time Jon:

Sailed around Eastwatch
Marched back to Castle Black
Died, resurrected
Gathered an army, took back Winterfell
Hung out at Winterfell long enough for Dany to find out and send a raven
Traveled to Dragonstone
Hung around Dragonstone long enough for the Unsullied to march to Casterly Rock
Then hung around Dragonstone long enough for Dany's army to march to somewhere between Highgarden/Kings Landing and back
Then hung out at Dragonstone long enough for Davos/Tyrion to then go to Kings Landing and back
Traveled back North to Eastwatch

And the White Walkers are still far enough away from Eastwatch that they could conceivably go north and capture one of his soldiers and take it back to Kings Landing

The key to defeating the White Walkers may be just walking away at a brisk pace

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Walrus posted:

but the issue is that things that should happen between those scenes dont happen. arya has been at winterfell for months now, but it still seems like shes been there for a couple of days. same with jon snow and dany at dragonstone.

Well, all the Arya arrival scenes in Winterfell could have taken place a couple of days before Jon leaves for Eastwatch. In that case, during the scenes where Jon actually arrives at Eastwatch, the Arya& Littlefinger plot is long over and we are technically in Arya's future which we as the viewer have not seen yet. Littlefinger is probably already dead when they leave the Wall to search for a zombie, Greyworm plot is long resolved too.

I'm not sure which alternative is worse, both are horrible, horrible writing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who cares. It's not important.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

So the White Walkers were at Hardhome with Jon then started marching south towards Eastwatch which looks like a hundred miles or something, easily the shortest distance between any two locations on the map

In that time Jon:

Sailed around Eastwatch
Died, resurrected
Traveled to Dragonstone
Then hung around Dragonstone long enough for Dany's army to march to somewhere between Highgarden/Kings Landing and back
Then hung out at Dragonstone long enough for Davos/Tyrion to then go to Kings Landing and back

And the White Walkers are still far enough away from Eastwatch that they could conceivably go north and capture one of his soldiers and take it back to Kings Landing

So you're saying the Night King is biding his time?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Or she told him to obliquely mention it when they knew Jaime was walking in and in his deranged mind he immediately jumped to "Do you want me to terminate that for you?"
Nothing deranged about wanting to save a woman from a childbirth that is likely to kill her.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Who cares. It's not important.

That's how you get an F in creative writing class. Do you want to get an F in creative writing class? cause that's how you do it

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Perhaps the White Walkers had errands to run, their lives don't just revolve around the 7 Kingdoms you know.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lifts cats over head posted:

Perhaps the White Walkers had errands to run, their lives don't just revolve around the 7 Kingdoms you know.

Probably drugs. I get lazy when I smoke weed

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Maybe it takes some time to raise giants and poo poo back from the dead so they keep having to make stops

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Walkers were waiting for Winter before they started their invasion. So the Night King has just been gathering up his army and waiting until Winter came, which is when they began to march.

It's like you all are trying to find anything to complain about that you loving forgot that for 6 years we've been told Winter is Coming and only now is it Winter is Here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

maybe they have logistics problems with shipping ice or whatever it is they eat. an army marches on its stomach I hear

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Night King is a waste not want not kinda guy, so they keep having to wait for the dismembered guys to catch up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sounds like the Night King is a bad navigator. What a loser. :sad:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's probably not winter-enough South of the wall for the undead so they're waiting for ideal weather conditions!

I'm still enjoying this show and will continue to enjoy it to the end. It's the first time some nerdy thing I like is popular amongst all my non-nerd friends and coworkers. It's not sports or some dumb reality competition show so we can actually have a meaningful conversation about it. Those conversations never involve unrealistic travel times or stupid haircuts, we just nerd out about cool fantasy poo poo, sword fights, and speculate on what's going to happen next.

I'll read the remaining books when/if they're released to get my fill of accurate depiction of travel times and meaningful dialogue.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to set up your army to dramatically march past the camera?

You have to get them all in one bunch, not an easy thing to do with zombies mind you. Then you find out a bunch have had their legs rot off so you have to stop and fix all that. Oh great, one of the giants stepped through ice and fell into a frozen lake again? Finally after lots of shouting and necromancy you get it all set up and whaddyaknow, it's snowing so much you can't even see the army. We'll try again tomorrow and if another zombie falls to pieces before then I swear I'm turning this army around.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
My assumption is that the Night King is amassing an army and waiting for ~conditions to be right~. I didn't get the impression they've just been marching south without stopping for 2 years. They could even just be patrolling the northern area on a loop until the Long Night comes.

Or do they BRING the long night?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah the undead are pretty obviously not busting rear end to make it south, that has been a complaint since before Littlefinger ever activated his transporter. We don't know how they are going to pass the Wall but it was implied and then flat stated that they can't just walk up and storm it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Wildtortilla posted:

It's probably not winter-enough South of the wall for the undead so they're waiting for ideal weather conditions!

I'm still enjoying this show and will continue to enjoy it to the end. It's the first time some nerdy thing I like is popular amongst all my non-nerd friends and coworkers. It's not sports or some dumb reality competition show so we can actually have a meaningful conversation about it. Those conversations never involve unrealistic travel times or stupid haircuts, we just nerd out about cool fantasy poo poo, sword fights, and speculate on what's going to happen next.

I'll read the remaining books when/if they're released to get my fill of accurate depiction of travel times and meaningful dialogue.

Wow bro, if you think you can't have meaningful discussions about Justin Thomas winning the PGA Championship I feel sorry for you and your friends

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Maybe theyve just been marching around the north since that last long night minding their own business, and don't really care about coming south, and Jon is just an rear end in a top hat

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It would be very characteristic of a Stark to do something really dumb to turn a non-threatening situation into a world ending catastrophe.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah the undead are pretty obviously not busting rear end to make it south, that has been a complaint since before Littlefinger ever activated his transporter. We don't know how they are going to pass the Wall

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

In the ~books~, the Others are waiting for something, possibly the coming of winter, a second long night or some kind of event that will give them the chance to bring down the wall. They kinda have a plan, but one important component is still missing so they are treading water with their huge army. Also, there are hints that the Others are actually causing the seasons/winter, so it's not really clear how it all fits together. None of that poo poo makes any sense in the show though, where winter has long come already and everyone is constantly talking about how the white walkers are "marching" instead of waiting.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

In that time Jon:

Sailed around Eastwatch
Died, resurrected
Traveled to Dragonstone

Is this a thing that actually bothers people lmao

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My impression of the White Walker army is that they don't really give a poo poo how long it takes them to get to the Wall. They are "death", more a concept than a real army (although it's a fantasy show so of course they are a literal army as well.) When they cross the wall, they'll destroy everything. It doesn't matter to them though if that happens tomorrow or next year. So that's why they're always slowly strolling along whenever we see them. They probably just stop and stare into the abyss sometimes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Current thoughts on the GOT teleportation problems: who loving cares

• Locked thread