Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt
May 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Let's just talk about Van Halen. Van Halen rules.

I like to pretend they all died in a plane crash right after Diver Down came out.

It's better that way.

Sometimes I think 1984 is ok. It's way better than the post David Lee Roth stuff, but it's still pretty bad imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sorry guys I didn't know people were so emotionally invested in Bieber here's a funny guitar:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^^lmao the anatomy on that skullboi

1984 is really good. I don't care for anything past that but honestly I've hardly given it a chance. I'm mostly just super happy that Eddie seems to have his poo poo together and isn't a miserable sack of alcohol poisoning. He's a good guy when he lives right.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Sorry guys I didn't know people were so emotionally invested in Bieber here's a funny guitar:

mr cool ice

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Yeah, I'll be honest I really don't get why some of you guys are so upset about this. He's a massive wank puffin but he did a good job covering it. Are you aware that sometimes people just like to cover music they enjoy themselves? I'm not a little Dutch boy who emigrated to America with my brother to become a mad scientist guitar wizard but I don't need to justify playing Van Halen covers beyond, "Because its fun".

Speaking for myself I am definitely very upset by it rather than just feeling amusement and mild contempt at the utter absurdity of

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

this molly-coddled little bitch boy (...) singing about leaving this poo poo town behind without any belongings and heading off into the unknown when he is the highest paid human being on the planet and routinely acts like a privileged rear end in a top hat because he is.

But that's just me.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Let's just talk about Van Halen. Van Halen rules.

I'm conflicted on the Frankenstrat. On one hand, it fuckin' rules. On the other hand, I can't help but think an image of it would crop up in this thread in an alternate universe where it wasn't so iconic/tied to a prominent virtuoso.

...Hmm. Iconic guitar, tied to a virtuoso, stupid music poo poo. I got nothin'.

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 15, 2017

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I'm conflicted on the Frankenstrat. On one hand, it fuckin' rules. On the other hand, I can't help but think an image of it would crop up in this thread in an alternate universe where it wasn't so iconic/tied to a prominent virtuoso.

Hmm, iconic, tied to a virtuoso, stupid music poo poo...I got nothin'.

no no the frankenstrat is definitely dumb music poo poo, it's just proof of why we love dumb poo poo so much

which, frankly, makes it all the more entertaining when someone gets all defensive about it

case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-YU_UHX0FU

that guitar is dumber than gently caress

it rules

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dewgy posted:

no no the frankenstrat is definitely dumb music poo poo, it's just proof of why we love dumb poo poo so much

which, frankly, makes it all the more entertaining when someone gets all defensive about it

case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-YU_UHX0FU

that guitar is dumber than gently caress

it rules

The guitar that launched a thousand shitposts.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I bought an EVH phase 90.

I'm gonna play some Van Halen, probably on my JEM.

I bought an amp, too.

Let's get stupid music poo poo.

(gently caress the Beeb)

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It's not a loving tsk tsk you dorks. It's just funny this molly-coddled little bitch boy is singing about leaving this poo poo town behind without any belongings and heading off into the unknown

But that's not what the song is about? Maybe for a line or two, but the main point of it is that you have dreams of flying away and being someone, but eventually those dreams die and you're stuck where you are. Maybe that doesn't apply to the Beebz, but it's a great, well written lyric and if a bunch of teens get to discover a classic song then why not. Even if he does get almost all the chords totally wrong.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
frankenstrat's totally cool

eddie van halen didn't worry about pointless things like loving up his guitar or resale value

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The only dumb part of frankenstrat is all of the super expensive replicas out there

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I see what you mean it can be hard to know the difference between pathos and corpse-loving.

I actually agree with your original statement, I just wanted to make a joke.

There's a few styles of music endemic to a culture that feels weird to be redone by anyone else. It'd be like asians playing polka or white guys playing ska.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

frankenstrat's totally cool

eddie van halen didn't worry about pointless things like loving up his guitar or resale value

I love that he would purposefully do poo poo to the guitar just to gently caress with people trying to copy it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Frankenstrat is an unpretentious shred machine. It's pure. The first few album were basically straight through live recordings with hardly any overdubs while Eddie's guitar was panned hard left. As mentioned he has always been the type to gently caress with gear nerds and force them to actually play with their gear to figure things out. It's all very anti gear snob trolling in the best way. Also his signature gear as of late is awesome. Good music poo poo.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
The wankiest thing on the frankenstrat is having a tone knob on his volume dial because "volume is tone :smugbert:" and it's Pretty loving Wanky.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Brand logo and model have been professionally removed from the neck. :jerkbag:

I had no idea this was a thing, but I guess I'm not surprised.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wonder what the correlation is between doing that + having severe deep rooted fears of losing masculinity.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Frankenstrat is an unpretentious shred machine. It's pure. The first few album were basically straight through live recordings with hardly any overdubs while Eddie's guitar was panned hard left. As mentioned he has always been the type to gently caress with gear nerds and force them to actually play with their gear to figure things out. It's all very anti gear snob trolling in the best way. Also his signature gear as of late is awesome. Good music poo poo.

People also have been freaking out for nearly 40 years on how to get the "brown sound" and as far as I know it's just a plexi with all the knobs turned up and a boost or two in front of it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wonder what the correlation is between doing that + having severe deep rooted fears of losing masculinity.

What's funny about it is the same thing that's funny about putting deceptive badges on a car: People who care won't be fooled (it's still got the Yamaha headstock shape) and people who would be fooled didn't actually care.
Actually, having a blank headstock probably makes it look more low-rent, like it's a bootleg or something.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anime Reference posted:

What's funny about it is the same thing that's funny about putting deceptive badges on a car: People who care won't be fooled (it's still got the Yamaha headstock shape) and people who would be fooled didn't actually care.
Actually, having a blank headstock probably makes it look more low-rent, like it's a bootleg or something.

Haha yup. They always look cheap and lovely to me. It's all about the player. These guys obsess over logos to impress other gear nerds instead of getting so good at guitar that people talking down on their gear look like idiots.

Spanish Manlove posted:

People also have been freaking out for nearly 40 years on how to get the "brown sound" and as far as I know it's just a plexi with all the knobs turned up and a boost or two in front of it.

It is oddly elusive though. I can get close (for me) with a decent amount of mids + boost on a Marshall vibe but yeah it's definitely a result of a fire breathing cranked amp.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If I bought it I'd just write "$100" on the headstock with a sharpie. If I had any space left over I'd try to draw the Yamaha logo. Cheap guitars deserve to be celebrated, not scorned.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Spanish Manlove posted:

That and whatever personal tiny habit he has with his fretting and picking hands

The closest I ever came to it was done by doing palm muting in a slightly different spot that I normally will

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

It is oddly elusive though. I can get close (for me) with a decent amount of mids + boost on a Marshall vibe but yeah it's definitely a result of a fire breathing cranked amp.

if you listen to ac/dc's let there be rock album which was recorded a few months prior to van halen 1 angus young's guitar sound isn't that far off from van halen's

it's pretty much a super lead with the power section pushed as far as it'll go

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've played guitar for years and am old and know about Van Halen and I didn't know about the frankenstrat.

SHAME!

*DING*

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've played guitar for years and am old and know about Van Halen and I didn't know about the frankenstrat.

SHAME!

*DING*

Wait really? gently caress, man. It's peak idiot diy in the coolest way.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Wait really? gently caress, man. It's peak idiot diy in the coolest way.

Lol yes it is I just googled it. I JUST GOOGLED THE FRANKENSTRAT YOU GUYS.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

hahaha holy poo poo.

Nah he's right. It's music dude. Who gives a poo poo if the artist performing a song actually has a background that matches the tone of the song.

It's a song. It's aesthetics. It either sounds good or it doesn't. That's all that really matters. Now, if you don't personally prefer recording techniques like modern volume wars poo poo or auto tune, that's a different issue but still ultimately falls under the "I either do or don't like the sound of this" category.

The simple fact that an artist is rich or poor doesn't change the aesthetics of a song they perform about being poor. Kinda like somebody's enjoyment of me singing The Hotdog Song shouldn't be dependent upon their knowledge of how many hotdogs I've eaten today.

edit: oh Lawdy I just read the rest of the thread past the post I quoted. Woopsie Daisy.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 15, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anime Reference posted:

I like stuff without logos, because I'm not really a fan of excessive advertising :shrug:

So I actually like it, it's low-key in a good way.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

KozmoNaut posted:

I like stuff without logos, because I'm not really a fan of excessive advertising :shrug:

So I actually like it, it's low-key in a good way.

If he'd said "for a nice clean look" instead of "because i'm insecure about playing a low-prestige guitar" I'd have been a lot less derisive.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

Nah he's right. It's music dude. Who gives a poo poo if the artist performing a song actually has a background that matches the tone of the song.

It's a song. It's aesthetics. It either sounds good or it doesn't. That's all that really matters. Now, if you don't personally prefer recording techniques like modern volume wars poo poo or auto tune, that's a different issue but still ultimately falls under the "I either do or don't like the sound of this" category.

The simple fact that an artist is rich or poor doesn't change the aesthetics of a song they perform about being poor. Kinda like somebody's enjoyment of me singing The Hotdog Song shouldn't be dependent upon their knowledge of how many hotdogs I've eaten today.

edit: oh Lawdy I just read the rest of the thread past the post I quoted. Woopsie Daisy.

Not only don't you read but you are a windbag Jesus dude post a weird guitar or something.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lol yes it is I just googled it. I JUST GOOGLED THE FRANKENSTRAT YOU GUYS.
Mein Gott in Himmell!

*crosses self*

Pretty sure this is a piece of poo poo artwork but figured it was relevant:

I'm the logo obscured by tuners.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 15, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

that guitar is a physical representation of my brain after the trump speech today. I feel it.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

EVH is pinnacle grandpa garden shed engineering style dumb music poo poo genius and the Frankenstrat is one of many examples of this. I was about to type a big effort post but realised a) I'm drunk and b) a lot of the relevant info can be googled. I'll do an effort post if people want to read it tomorrow (ish... I'm working nights so "tomorrow" is more "whenever" at the moment)

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That guy sells so much crap on Reverb and his gross stained bed sheet is in every backdrop.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

EVH is pinnacle grandpa garden shed engineering style dumb music poo poo genius and the Frankenstrat is one of many examples of this. I was about to type a big effort post but realised a) I'm drunk and b) a lot of the relevant info can be googled. I'll do an effort post if people want to read it tomorrow (ish... I'm working nights so "tomorrow" is more "whenever" at the moment)

Please do!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's people that even go so far when they are building clones of the frankrnstrat that they search out the correct year of quarter that he used to block (or whatever the hell it's for) the trem with.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thumposaurus posted:

There's people that even go so far when they are building clones of the frankrnstrat that they search out the correct year of quarter that he used to block (or whatever the hell it's for) the trem with.

fuckin lol

Someone asked in the Wampler Tone fb group today about TONE BATTERIES

doublefuckinlol

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
going into the YouTube comments on sound comparison videos for different brands or ages of like capacitors and poo poo and you see everyone going all "oh the first one sounds more lemony" bitch how

later you'll see the same types go on about how you really can't tell the difference because it's a YouTube video and their audio compression and your speakers affect the ~~true tone~~ and you could *definitely* tell in person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Some people like the sound of batteries that are starting to run down. I guess you could make boutique batteries that are under voltage on purpose, and then charge 30x as much for them.

• Locked thread