Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Doctor rolling into the Dalek control room in Davros' chair, them all recoiling in surprise, and the Doctor going,"Admit it, you've had nightmares about this" cracked me up too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Went to speak to my dad yesterday and saw he was watching an old episode of Death In Paradise. Since I haven't really watched much of it before, I concede that I can see Kris Marshall having been a decent Tennant 2.0... but probably only 10 years ago. I think he's just too old now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
His problem were those chuffing annoying BT adverts, he went from lovable guy in his early 20s to incredibly irritating because of them very very quickly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Spatula City posted:

I personally think Series 9's arc worked really well, because it was character-driven. The Hybrid was a season-long red herring/metaphor.

Red herrings are exceptionally difficult to pull off satisfactorily - you need to have people invested in them so that the reveal means something, but not so invested that they feel cheated. I, and a lot of people in this thread, didn't even get the slightest bit invested in it and instead found it very tedious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Red herrings are exceptionally difficult to pull off satisfactorily - you need to have people invested in them so that the reveal means something, but not so invested that they feel cheated. I, and a lot of people in this thread, didn't even get the slightest bit invested in it and instead found it very tedious.

It honestly felt like Moffat wasn't really all that bothered by it either. The occasional '...like a hybrid' line felt horribly forced in and out of place.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

It was so forced that it almost felt like a joke to me. Like, "whatever, I know you don't care about this arc poo poo anyway and you know by now it's just going to be a bait-and-switch". My theory of the Capaldi era's writing in general is that a lot of material is Moffat responding to criticisms of his writing from the Smith era, though it's been awhile since I rewatched a lot of those episodes so I forget how much of that bears out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've definitely thought the same. I thought Amy should have yelled at the Doctor for failing her in The God Complex and left him of her own free will instead of him just dropping her off, and Clara did that in Kill the Moon. I thought Amy shouldn't just accept never getting her daughter back in Let's Kill Hitler, and there was an echo of that in Clara wanting the Doctor to change time to save Danny in Dark Water. Back in series 6 when it leaked that the finale was going to be a bunch of time periods colliding in some kind of time explosion I was sure Amy was going to cause it by trying to rescue her baby, and then the Doctor nearly fractured time trying to save Clara in Hell Bent. It's been good poo poo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It also feels like season 10 was a response to criticisms of seasons 7.5 - 9. Capaldi is a much softer, nicer Doctor to Bill, the writing is pretty overt in addressing some diversity concerns, there's an actual, second companion who's along for the ride, there's no romance or jealousy between the companion and the Doctor at all, Jamie Mathieson's episode straight up says it's the Doctor causing the collapse of capitalism, and they get Rona Munro, of all people, to write an episode. There are aspects of the finale that sort of mirror season 8 (the Master, Cybermen, the Doctor feeling like he's let his companion down, etc.), but whatever issues I have with Moffat, it does feel like he tries to learn from his mistakes, even if he can't help be an angry goblin when somebody interviews him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

It also feels like season 10 was a response to criticisms of seasons 7.5 - 9. Capaldi is a much softer, nicer Doctor to Bill, the writing is pretty overt in addressing some diversity concerns, there's an actual, second companion who's along for the ride, there's no romance or jealousy between the companion and the Doctor at all, Jamie Mathieson's episode straight up says it's the Doctor causing the collapse of capitalism, and they get Rona Munro, of all people, to write an episode. There are aspects of the finale that sort of mirror season 8 (the Master, Cybermen, the Doctor feeling like he's let his companion down, etc.), but whatever issues I have with Moffat, it does feel like he tries to learn from his mistakes, even if he can't help be an angry goblin when somebody interviews him.

As I've said to others, including I'm sure n these threads, Moffat falls into some pretty overly conservative and disappointing patterns when he isn't trying, but he doesn't seem to want to think those things. When he's putting his mind to actually writing PoC characters, or women or LGBT characters he's actually really good, the problem is when he's left on autopilot he goes all Let's Kill Hitler on us.

So part of the reason season 10 worked so well was because all those thoughts were at the forefront. Especially with Bill, he couldn't lapse into his usual subconscious misogyny or anything because she was so overtly not fitting into that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's worth mentioning Capaldi's era is one big causal loop just like Smith's was, since the Master regenerating into Missy in his final adventure leads to Smith and Clara getting together and her saving his life on Trenzalore, after which they have some adventures with Missy, leading to the Doctor saving her from execution, leading to them winding up bumping into the old Master causing him to regenerate into Missy in the first place. Done a lot more quietly though, which is good because it avoids lingering questions like "well who blew up the Tardis and how"

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Was it even established that Simm Master -> Missy is a direct regeneration?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When Missy stabs him he says "so now I'll regenerate into you?" and she says "welcome to the sisterhood" which isn't directly showing a scene of it happening but it's p close

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Hmm, yeah I didn't remember that. That doesn't seem to leave any real room for doubt.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RIP to the creator of sonic screwdriver.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pemberton's work was terrific, it must be said

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He's the one who wrote the comforting speech that Two gives to Victoria (that we were talking about earlier), in fact.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My roommate is watching Heaven Sent for the first time ever. I kind of envy her.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, rewatched the Zygon two-parter:

Its major flaw is that Zygon-Clara/Bonnie/Whoever says things like "We were treated like cattle!" and the Doctor says "So what?" The beginning of it is a lot of UNIT military fluff, which I can take or leave, and Jenna Coleman does a great job being Zygon-her, but the Doctor's big speech needed to be about something besides Zygons. Pod people were not a good choice for this story. Peter Harness really is clumsy that way.

The Doctor's speech would have been fantastic if it had been about two cultures fighting over something more utterly and completely pointless. The Zygon's have a point. They want to be themselves. Refugees is the easiest thing to reach for, but it could also apply to religion, gender identity, or sexual orientation. Why shouldn't they allowed to themselves? This should have taken place on an alien planet, with two cultures, both of whom we want to root for, who are on the verge of a major conflict over something totally and utterly petty. I want The Butter Battle Book, Doctor Who edition, with Peter Capaldi chewing up the scenery in the room with two boxes. Some of it, I suppose, is that Moffat wrote most of the speech Capaldi gives, which, combined with his performance, make it feel like something from a totally different episode. I suppose one other option would have been if Kate, or some other Earth military figure, was the one who was agitating, if Twelve was giving his speech to the humans instead of the Zygons.

Basically, it pretends that Twelve is a sympathetic actor who's looking out for both sides, when, really, he's just looking out for the humans over "the other." That's one hell of a difficult premise to start from without coming off as regressive, and this two-parter doesn't have a writer with a touch for nuance.

Also, because it's all I have to say about it, Sleep No More is less reprehensible, but it's an unsavable, boring turd of an episode that is badly written and badly filmed. At least the Zygon two-parter is elevated by some excellent performances; it's hard to act when all of the creators are working in a genre they don't understand, building toward a groanworthy twist, in which the horror is monsters made out of eye boogers.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Also, because it's all I have to say about it, Sleep No More is less reprehensible, but it's an unsavable, boring turd of an episode that is badly written and badly filmed.

It's really a shame that this is Reece Shearsmith's single foray so far into Doctor Who (his brief turn as Patrick Troughton aside).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Oh, Mark Gatiss is one of those "I can get married now so what are those trannies whinging about?" kind of gay people. That's a shame, I always tended to be a bit softer on him than other fans often seemed to.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

"Things are just peachy for me, stop complaining" says wealthy white man

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Things are just peachy for me, stop complaining" says wealthy white man

Oh we're talking about The Zygon Inversion again?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know how Chibnall's said he was always keen for Thirteen to be played by a woman? Has he said whether Whittaker was the only choice or whether he asked anybody else?

As far as I know, the only times there was only one choice for the new Doctor and nobody else was considered were Colin Baker and (possibly - I'm not sure) David Tennant.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

By all accounts, Peter Capaldi as well

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

By all accounts, Peter Capaldi as well

I thought it was between him and Ben Daniels. Or maybe Daniels was the backup in case Capaldi couldn't do it or wasn't keen. I don't remember.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know how Chibnall's said he was always keen for Thirteen to be played by a woman? Has he said whether Whittaker was the only choice or whether he asked anybody else?

As far as I know, the only times there was only one choice for the new Doctor and nobody else was considered were Colin Baker and (possibly - I'm not sure) David Tennant.

She says she auditioned, although in theory I suppose she might have been the only one who did. We'll probably never know.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought it was between him and Ben Daniels. Or maybe Daniels was the backup in case Capaldi couldn't do it or wasn't keen. I don't remember.

Capaldi auditioned when Smith got the role and Moffat told him if he was still up for it next time then the role was his. Ben Daniels was the back up in case Capaldi couldn't get out of his Three Musketeers contract.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
As someone who's fallen out of BF listening, what's the explanation for 7 travelling with both Mel and Ace?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Capaldi auditioned when Smith got the role and Moffat told him if he was still up for it next time then the role was his. Ben Daniels was the back up in case Capaldi couldn't get out of his Three Musketeers contract.

I see. Although Capaldi has been great I think Daniels would have been very good as well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

2house2fly posted:

When Missy stabs him he says "so now I'll regenerate into you?" and she says "welcome to the sisterhood" which isn't directly showing a scene of it happening but it's p close

The saddest thing about this is it's definitely the end of the Master's story arc for all time and there is absolutely no way s/he'll be back from the dead because that's never been an established precedence.

:v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Honestly, Ben Daniels would be a drat decent Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ha. Recently read that during the mid-80s hiatus, Sydney Newman wrote to Michael Grade asking him to sack JNT and make him (Newman) executive producer, with his plan apparently being to bring back Patrick Troughton (whether as the Seventh Doctor or as the Second Doctor coming back for another go round isn't clear from what I can see) to "steady the ship" and then "metamorphose" into a woman. Precisely what that means wasn't completely clear to me either.

I wonder who he'd have picked.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

2house2fly posted:

If they want to fit another master or two in before Missy then that could have been her just loving with the Master. I mean, I dont think that would be a good idea, but they could do it if they wanted.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Who's to say Gomez was the first female Master, anyway? She says Simm will regenerate into a woman, but it might not be her.

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's said Whittaker was his "first choice", but who knows whether or not that was the case from the get-go or if other people were also in the running at some point.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't imagine they wouldn't have auditioned at least two people, just in case something happened and Jodie Whittaker got sick enough not to be able to take on the role, or said "gently caress this, use the wax replica of me from Madame Tussaids" or something

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine that if he was set on having a woman as the Doctor, he'd have, at a minimum, at least thought about Colman, seeing as she was also one of the main characters on his old programme.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

SiKboy posted:

If they want to fit another master or two in before Missy then that could have been her just loving with the Master. I mean, I dont think that would be a good idea, but they could do it if they wanted.

yeah it'd be nice if the writers could hold themselves to higher standard than trash 90s superhero comics

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Unless there's another multi-Master episode, there's no need for the Master to even explain where s/he's from in his/her personal timeline, really.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ha. Recently read that during the mid-80s hiatus, Sydney Newman wrote to Michael Grade asking him to sack JNT and make him (Newman) executive producer, with his plan apparently being to bring back Patrick Troughton (whether as the Seventh Doctor or as the Second Doctor coming back for another go round isn't clear from what I can see) to "steady the ship" and then "metamorphose" into a woman. Precisely what that means wasn't completely clear to me either.

I wonder who he'd have picked.

Probably either Joanna Lumley or Frances de la Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine that if he was set on having a woman as the Doctor, he'd have, at a minimum, at least thought about Colman, seeing as she was also one of the main characters on his old programme.

Having just watched Broadchurch (soon to be rechristened The Other Three Doctors), I'd be disappointed if he hadn't at least thought seriously about Colman.

Speaking of: S1 of Broadchurch is fantastic, but it doesn't exactly reassure me that Chibnall is a good choice for showrunner. He's clearly come a long way since Torchwood, but he still seems captivated by that which is darkly problematic about the human condition. Doctor Who is about the parts of the human spirit that triumph over evil, Broadchurch (along with Torchwood) is about the parts that find it seductive and/or can't overcome it.

• Locked thread