Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Fil5000 posted:

"You said you had some when I called!"

Bonus points if you know for a fact you took their call and you told them the opposite.

Can we add questions you couldn't possibly have exact answers for?

"Do you have beers that twist off?"

*scanning... scanning*

I am sorry sir but after scanning my data banks of the beer inventory I have found that the entry for twist off is not available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

SpacePig posted:

I think she called back later to apologize.

I know this thread is for entertainment and venting, but come on, don't change stories to add things that are obviously made up

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Starman Super DX posted:

Can we add questions you couldn't possibly have exact answers for?

"Do you have beers that twist off?"

*scanning... scanning*

I am sorry sir but after scanning my data banks of the beer inventory I have found that the entry for twist off is not available.

idgi. It sounds like you can't name a beer that twists off, which is silly because I know you can?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

drat kids these days can think on their feet and feed some rube a line of bullshit

just tell him to buy domestic if he wants lovely garbage weak rear end factory beer

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The Lord Bude posted:

The tipping system is incredibly scummy, but it's the system you guys over there are stuck with, and cheating someone who barely earns enough to survive out of their income is reprehensible. The tip is part of the cost of eating out, and if you can't afford it, you can't afford to eat out.

If it bothers you so much move over here to Australia where tipping is what we do when we throw our lose change in the tip jar because we can't be bothered carrying 60c around in our pockets. You'll be paying $90 a head for a 3 course meal though at an entry level fine dining establishment (not including alcohol).

On the upside you'll also get paid a lot more here, too.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

idgi. It sounds like you can't name a beer that twists off, which is silly because I know you can?

I honestly can't off the top of my head. I reach for a bottle opener automatically with everything I drink twist-off or not. Even if I could, giving him the name of maybe one beer wasn't going to be particularly helpful. Again, it's the expectation that I should know every detail and be able to rattle it off on the spot. Plus the phrasing is what bugged me a little. I mean yeah obviously we have ones that twist off I just haven't a clue which are which. I mean the other day some lady asked "Do you have beer in cans? Which ones?" Which would be almost half the department.

Whatever, I've been a little tweaked lately so I'm probably just being overly sensitive.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What's the point of drinking if you aren't coming up with creative methods of opening beer and wine bottles?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SpacePig posted:

I think she called back later to apologize.

My Dad has turned into one of those old guys who will go off at people in stores and then later have to go back in and apologise. He lives in a small country town and there's not enough stores that he can just go somewhere else if he blows up at some poor register jockey over nothing.

Edit: a recent example - he moved house not too long ago and when the paperwork was being finalised he went back and checked out the new house and noticed that the previous owner had left some really nice carved hardwood furniture behind. He was pretty happy that he was getting some free furniture as part of the deal. When he arrived a few days after that to start moving in the 'free' furniture had mysteriously disappeared so he went down the the estate agent's office and SCREAMED at them for being liars and thieves and rip off artists. A few days after that he found out that the previous owners had come back and picked up the furniture (as they'd been intending to do all along) so he had to crawl back to the estate agents and eat crow.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 13, 2017

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Had 2 different people use Booking.com tonight to book a room for my hotel I work at. Problem is it was after midnight so they booked it for Sunday night and we are sold out tonight... Naturally they were both upset and want me to work a miracle when there isn't poo poo available for hotels this weekend.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Worked a straight ten hour shift yesterday (Sunday) and we had some contractors on site doing some painting and putting new signs up, and about a dozen separate customers came in to get their stuff and all mentioned something along the lines of:

"look at that, people working..... on a Sunday"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Starman Super DX posted:

I honestly can't off the top of my head. I reach for a bottle opener automatically with everything I drink twist-off or not. Even if I could, giving him the name of maybe one beer wasn't going to be particularly helpful. Again, it's the expectation that I should know every detail and be able to rattle it off on the spot. Plus the phrasing is what bugged me a little. I mean yeah obviously we have ones that twist off I just haven't a clue which are which. I mean the other day some lady asked "Do you have beer in cans? Which ones?" Which would be almost half the department.

Whatever, I've been a little tweaked lately so I'm probably just being overly sensitive.

Oh, okay. Understandable. Here's some good advice:

Former DILF posted:

just tell him to buy domestic if he wants lovely garbage weak rear end factory beer

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yes, that's the ridiculous expenditure in this humblebrag anecdote

The point is that sliding scales are stupid when the idea is to subsidize poor people. When my firm has good quarterly earning posted, I don't suddenly see s bump in my pay. Sure bonuses are sometimes like this but it's usually like 10% company performance and mostly merit.

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

I work in a call centre.

Me: Hi please can I speak to the account holder Mrs X?
Her: Yes hello
Me: oh hello there, my name is X and I'm calling from...
Her: Excuse me, I'm a lady!
Me: yes I asked to speak to Mrs X, I assumed that's you?
Her: then why did you call me Sir?!
Me: .........I didn't????

She was unconvinced :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blaarghh posted:

I work in a call centre.

Do you have a lisp?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

The point is that sliding scales are stupid when the idea is to subsidize poor people. When my firm has good quarterly earning posted, I don't suddenly see s bump in my pay. Sure bonuses are sometimes like this but it's usually like 10% company performance and mostly merit.

shut the gently caress up moron

crabf
May 29, 2015

blaarghh posted:

I work in a call centre.

Probably heard "there" as "sir"

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
A long time ago I worked at a McDonalds Drive Thru. The scum of the Earth would frequently frequent the place.

A regular was a guy in his mid thirties who would always take as many napkins as he could from the dispensers on lobby. Despite the fact that the dispensers were designed to only let out a few at a time, he would take out huge handfuls, scattering torn paper on the floor where he had got them from. Eventually a manager challenged him and his response was, "I can't afford toilet paper!"
He can't afford toilet paper but he can afford to have a McDonalds a few times every week, which probably goes a long way to him needing a vast amount of loo roll?
He liked to take napkins and flurry cups as well, we only said something when he leaped over the counter to get some cups he had seen in a cupboard.

The most entertaining customer though was the guy who threatened to complain to The Sun newspaper about us. His complaint was actually legitimate, he saw people preparing his wraps without wearing gloves. Standing at the front counter bellowing "OI I'M NOT loving HAPPY, WHAT YOU GONNA DO?" Isn't very effective though.
He reached boiling point when he got so annoyed at being ignored that he stood with his hands on his hips and shouted "WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM, SOME SORT OF oval office?" Two of the kitchen staff working on grill looked at each other then started laughing. The store manager had to be dragged out of the office to deal with him, which is when the threat to write a letter of complaint to The Sun was made.
Obviously he got an apology and a free large meal.

The most memorable incidents though were the drunk fights on lobby at the High Street store I worked at before the Drive Thru. Two men had a fight that eventually led to a rolling fight on the front counter. From somewhere a smoke grenade appeared and was let off on the lobby. A quick thinking guy got a metal dish from the kitchen and placed it over the grenade, preventing the lobby from being evacuated.
Eventually the fighting ceased and everyone was relatively happy, The two men who started the fight were placidly munching cheeseburgers side by side.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Good news thread, I was told today that we are in the employ of a Mad Pooper. :woop:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Starman Super DX posted:

Good news thread, I was told today that we are in the employ of a Mad Pooper. :woop:

Was that a company-wide memo?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Customer came in today. Old guy, who was struggling to take out a 5th of vodka, didn't look weak. Okay I thought, I'll move to help him. He then falls over after failing five times to even grab the second 5th of vodka.

Turns out he's loving pissed as all Hell, like Jim Lahey drunk. The manager called the police to take him home.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Starman Super DX posted:

All I can think of when I read this is this ancient story: The Mad Shitter of Texas Instruments .

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Lord Bude posted:

If it bothers you so much move over here to Australia where tipping is what we do when we throw our lose change in the tip jar because we can't be bothered carrying 60c around in our pockets. You'll be paying $90 a head for a 3 course meal though at an entry level fine dining establishment (not including alcohol).

To be fair though that's because, in theory, in this country our hospitality industry works their employees wages into every sale. This is my firm belief and why I don't fee guilty for buying medium coffee for $4.30 and pocketing the 70 cents despite the fact the teenage/early uni student barrister has a tip jar with some lovely meme glued to it.

Sad King Billy posted:

A long time ago I worked at a McDonalds Drive Thru.

Seeing as you worked there can you answer this personal but professional pointless question.

Is ordering 2 apple pies and 50c cones at the drive through and paying for it mostly in change after midnight considered to be a dick move? A friend and I do it most weekends if we're coming back from the next suburb over after chilling at a mates. One time we brought a friend back with us and she was talking about how it pisses off the servers cause they've already balanced the tills after midnight and adding piles of coins is frustrating.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 15, 2017

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I don't deal with customers directly but I do have to handle their poo poo.

Here is a tip, if you are planning on shipping something, package it with enough padding that you would feel comfortable with it tumbling down a 5-set of stairs.

Stuff moving around inside boxes breaks them from the inside out, use sturdy bracing to keep your poo poo secure.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

spog posted:

Was that a company-wide memo?

I was witness to the stall first hand although not the act itself. Later another coworker asked if I'd seen it and they said it's apparently been going on for a couple of days.

du -hast posted:

All I can think of when I read this is this ancient story: The Mad Shitter of Texas Instruments .

One of my high school English teachers once told us that when she was in school they had someone who called themselves "The Angry Dumper". Apparently disgruntled individuals smearing poo poo on the wall as a form of non violent protest is a surprisingly common and unoriginal thing. I'm also fairly certain that it's something that people do in prison.

e: whoops wrong quote

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SeXReX posted:

I don't deal with customers directly but I do have to handle their poo poo.

Here is a tip, if you are planning on shipping something, package it with enough padding that you would feel comfortable with it tumbling down a 5-set of stairs.

Stuff moving around inside boxes breaks them from the inside out, use sturdy bracing to keep your poo poo secure.

Our old UPS rule of thumb was that you should be able to stand on the box. Brace the hell out of that box.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gridlocked posted:

To be fair though that's because, in theory, in this country our hospitality industry works their employees wages into every sale. This is my firm belief and why I don't fee guilty for buying medium coffee for $4.30 and pocketing the 70 cents despite the fact the teenage/early uni student barrister has a tip jar with some lovely meme glued to it.

Seeing as you worked there can you answer this personal but professional pointless question.

Is ordering 2 apple pies and 50c cones at the drive through and paying for it mostly in change after midnight considered to be a dick move? A friend and I do it most weekends if we're coming back from the next suburb over after chilling at a mates. One time we brought a friend back with us and she was talking about how it pisses off the servers cause they've already balanced the tills after midnight and adding piles of coins is frustrating.

I agree, it's completely fair and a vastly superior system. My initial point was that the person I was responding to was an arsehole who thought it was ok to save money by cheating someone who more than likely barely makes enough money to survive, on the basis that they are just 'some stoner they won't see again'; and that if there wasn't a tipping culture, they'd still be paying just as much because the food itself would need to be more expensive to cover the wage bills. It certainly wasn't a criticism of our restaurant prices.

As for tipping the 70c, Who knows if the teenage barista is even seeing anything from the tip jar? There is no mention of tips in any Australian enterprise agreement, or piece of legislation. I've researched the subject, and based on common law, tips are the property of the restaurant owner, and they can do whatever they want with them. If a waiter kept a tip without reporting it to their employer, they'd be the ones in trouble for stealing. I won't tip, except out of convenience for getting rid of loose change, and even then I prefer to stick it in a charity box. In any event, it's a grubby practise that shouldn't be encouraged. Allowing it to take hold in Australia would be actively harmful to hospitality workers in the long run.

as for paying for your apple pies and cones in change - If you're giving someone more than a dollar or 2 in silver, (or more than 10 coins or so - 2 dollars worth of 5c pieces is not ok) then you're being an arse; and in fact businesses have a legal right to refuse to accept it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know the US doesn't have dollar coins in large circulation, but don't they at least have 50¢ coins?

EDIT: Giving someone a huge pile of coins is always a dick move.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I know the US doesn't have dollar coins in large circulation, but don't they at least have 50¢ coins?

'Half-dollars' are apparently huge and heavy. To be fair, they're the biggest of Australian coinage too.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

That would be the Kennedy half-dollar. Technically, they are still produced but, they don't really have a wide circulation. A lot of you ger people don't even know what they are.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Shaddak posted:

That would be the Kennedy half-dollar. Technically, they are still produced but, they don't really have a wide circulation. A lot of you ger people don't even know what they are.

Sometimes I blow someone's mind with a $2 bill.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Shaddak posted:

There is a cheap theatre here where tickets are like $3.50 tax included and you always get back half-dollar coins it's loving cool

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have an American $1 coin, it has a picture of george Washington on it. it's the same size and colour as a Canadian loonie, but the design is kind for cheap so it looks more like a bus token than real money.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inescapable Duck posted:

'Half-dollars' are apparently huge and heavy. To be fair, they're the biggest of Australian coinage too.

I like the Kiwi 50¢, it's about the same size as our 20¢ piece.

New ones are on the bottom row:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Huh, I thought Kiwi 20 centers were pretty much the same size and weight as Australian ones, to the point where they're interchangeable in vending machines?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Those dollar coins own, you can get them with nixon and taft and poo poo on them

HazCat
May 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Huh, I thought Kiwi 20 centers were pretty much the same size and weight as Australian ones, to the point where they're interchangeable in vending machines?

I assume 'new ones' means they've recently changed sizes.

And ditched the trash 5c piece too. Wish we'd get on that, not even vending machines or PT ticket machines accept them anymore.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
you have a 20 cent and a 50 cent? what the gently caress

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Shaddak posted:

I think I see more $2 bills nowadays than I see half dollars which is weird. I don't know if the government just gave up on them or what. I feel like I saw them fairly often in the 90s as a kid.

here's also something about half dollars I learned. If you find one from the 60s or I think 1970, they're worth something like $2 each due to silver content!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Gridlocked posted:

Depends what time their shift ends I suppose, however I was never let anywhere near till, I used to handle the truck orders.

I went into a store once with a friend and he argued with the cashier for five minutes because they were missing a penny change and asked him if he was OK to do without. He said he wasn't and refused to leave until they got his change, it was near the end of the shift so they had to break into the petty cash.

My friend argued that McDonald's are a huge multinational company and should not have difficulty giving him such a small amount of change back. I argued that it had nothing to do with the cashiers, they just wanted to get home.
In the end he won though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In the rare event that I've run out of 5c pieces (the smallest coin in Australia) I'll just give people 10c pieces instead until I can either get more 5c pieces or move to another register.

• Locked thread