Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

What the gently caress subredit is THAT nightmare on??

IncelsAnarchy, which is i guess even worse fakeposting than Incels or just the militant wing of proud unfuckables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

And according to SPLC, a significant portion of the Civil War monuments in Georgia are Confederate.

Prolly because a lot of Georgians were in the confederate army... and by the time the war was here, it was mostly just being lost. General Sherman burned Atlanta to the ground.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Forgall posted:

They internet detectived the wrong guy after Boston Marathon bombing and hounded him to the point he killed himself.

I thought it turned out he'd killed himself even before the Redditors got the pitchforks out? Or did I get that totally wrong?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would like this debate over statues to call attention to the fact that right now, in Congress itself, there are statues honoring John C Calhoun, Robert E Lee, and Jefferson Davis among others in the National Statuary Hall.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Prism posted:

Actually I think you'll find that he said he wants to rape anyone that isn't a child.

Anyone who self-describes as an 'incel' cannot be a good person, I'm convinced of it.

Oh god, I read it wrong, that's a relief. It's telling about their community that I had no problem believing my mistake was their intent.

That community is either going to, or has already produced some kind of serial rapist monster. Easily the most toxic place on a mainstream website anywhere.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

"No calls for genocide, violence or mass crimes"

Its not that hard. :reddit:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Red Baron posted:

Jesus Christ I've seen those freaks advocate for some disgusting positions but that's actually saying he wants to be able to rape children. What the everloving gently caress.

Just... Goddamn.

You forgot that we created a smiley for Reddit during the whole ViolentAcrez debacle :pedophiles:. You can hover over the smiley to find the real term for Reddit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

After the Boston bombing Reddit went on the prowl and identified one of the bombers. A day later the guy's corpse washed up out of the river.

Turns out it was the wrong guy. Whoops!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

evilweasel posted:

no i mean when we are discussing it, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof has never been a legal standard :confused:

a 90% confidence result is not good enough when you're running a bunch of tests to explain something odd, it's just not meaningful in that context
To elaborate further on this, here's a really cool article that should be required reading for anyone who works with statistics. Basically, that whole "dark chocolate is good for the heart" thing you might have heard about a couple of years ago? Was an intentionally garbage (yet not technically fraudulent) study done by a journalist explicitly to call attention to the same issue evilweasel is talking about here. And that study used 95% confidence, not 90%.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

By Lee's birthplace, in Alexandria, VA, there's this memorial:

This is the closest thing to an "acceptable" confederate memorial there could be, in the same style as other war memorials raised in the immediate aftermath of the war by a city to memorialize the names of its residents killed in the war

This one can stay in a museum. The confederate generals can be melted down for scrap.

Yeah, there's gotta be a line between a memorial and a monument.

Some of these serve as headstones, effectively.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That reddit post... just :wtc:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
To be safe just melt them all down along with the people who want to keep them up.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

BlueBlazer posted:

I'm not saying doxxing, I'm saying shout it down. In the spaces where they remain anonymous.

You will be flamed, you will derided, the most awful poo poo on the net will be thrown back and you fight back , just without being a racist nazi. It's exhausting and it feels futile but its not. You are not going to win but for every comment that goes unchallenged and every troll that's ignored allows other to follow.

I got to thinking that as some protest movements have started those with net literacy found that we were needed in the streets helping with causes. But in doing so abandoned our posts on the out-skirts telling assholes, misogynists, and racists to STFU. It's those outskirts where this poo poo has festered, its where the pepe bullshit has come from. Fight noise with noise. It's a battlefront that really has not been acknowledged because its so god drat ridiculous. The fact that it even matters and to consider it serious is ludicrous.

It's probably all our fault anyway. 15 min a day do your part.

Sorry I was referring more to the pro-doxxing post you quoted. Should have made that more clear.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TulliusCicero posted:

That reddit post... just :wtc:

do yourself a favour and never go to GBS or FYAD

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Blitz7x posted:

Reddit can't be saved

Tear the entire site down and kick it repeatedly

...................................................................................................................................... oh. dear. GOD.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Red Baron posted:

Jesus Christ I've seen those freaks advocate for some disgusting positions but that's actually saying he wants to be able to rape children. What the everloving gently caress.

Just... Goddamn.

One of them advocated for lobotomizing all women and replacing their brains with dog brains.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:drat: is this a guy with an audience or what?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

i didn't know it was racist to discriminate between historical markers and monuments but this is uspol, land of the extremely bad poster, so i guess it's just my cosmic turn to get screamed at for no reason today

saying a dude who served the us government for thirty years and the confederacy for five "served with distinction" is not exactly the sort of lost causerism folks are sweating over but if that's the best effort you can muster here i suppose i'll just accept that you hate me for confusing and vague reasons. that's ok

fact is the original tweet was incorrect and misrepresented the data to make a point so it's not really a surprise there's some people itt who would cherish that kind of ignorance so long as it's politically convenient

Markers about the Civil War put in place by politicians in states that rebelled say nice things about the state's citizens whose ancestors fought in the war is bad I guess? I suppose they could all just say SHAAAAAAAME!!! but that probably wouldn't have gotten funding.

I mean, the markers are often on the sides of roads in inconvenient locations to actually stop and read and the print is too small to see otherwise. But racism.

But this is also the thread that loves Sherman and wants more statues of him so maybe not racism?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Bicyclops posted:

One of them advocated for lobotomizing all women and replacing their brains with dog brains.

I wonder what, if any, overlap there is between hardcore white supremacy people and these people is, especially among all those younger, white males.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arglebargle III posted:

I like how he includes details that make it clear even ugly women won't gently caress him. Wonder why???

I used to think the incel community was just lazy losers who aren't even self reflective enough to realize you have to try to meet people in order to have sex, but now I see there's a whole different breed.

I've said it before on the YouTube thread. Any able-bodied cis man who can't get laid in the US has something seriously wrong with them. You almost have to judge someone for being unable to fit into society on that basic a level. Even fat, ugly, whatever people have sex. To drive everyone off you have to be the kind of awful person that comes up with crazy poo poo like this idiot did.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Red Baron posted:

I wonder what, if any, overlap there is between hardcore white supremacy people and these people is, especially among all those younger, white males.

From what I have seen they are pretty racist but it's more of an extension of the intense hate of women than in a Nazi sense.

See: "white women running around banging unintelligent black men, I want my submissive Asian waifu"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Krispy Kareem posted:

Markers about the Civil War put in place by politicians in states that rebelled say nice things about the state's citizens whose ancestors fought in the war is bad I guess? I suppose they could all just say SHAAAAAAAME!!! but that probably wouldn't have gotten funding.

I mean, the markers are often on the sides of roads in inconvenient locations to actually stop and read and the print is too small to see otherwise. But racism.

But this is also the thread that loves Sherman and wants more statues of him so maybe not racism?

no we definitely need to tear down all the markers because they are racist

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

To elaborate further on this, here's a really cool article that should be required reading for anyone who works with statistics. Basically, that whole "dark chocolate is good for the heart" thing you might have heard about a couple of years ago? Was an intentionally garbage (yet not technically fraudulent) study done by a journalist explicitly to call attention to the same issue evilweasel is talking about here. And that study used 95% confidence, not 90%.

Fantastic link and I strongly second everyone reads it.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Red Baron posted:

I blame unsupervised high speed internet access in their sexual formative years

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
BEEP BOOP FEMOIDS UNITE, FORM UP UTEROTRON!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Is everbody cool with this statue of Lenin in Seattle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin,_Seattle ?

Russia bad?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

Did you... read the sign? That's actually good historical information, or is this ironic?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

boner confessor posted:

This is an...ironic post right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

Did you... read the sign? That's actually good historical information.

yes i know i am making fun of posters itt who think there are thousands and thousands of confederate memorials across the south because they can't read a simple article

one guy who made this claim even posted another article he didn't read that said there were less than two hundred confederate memorials in georgia and hilariously he did not spot the contradiction

VV he did it again lol. there's a difference between a memorial and a marker, friend, but at this point i'm just repeating myself and if you didn't understand me the first couple times there's no reason to believe you'll suddenly understand me

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 15, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

SPLC covered this well, and I already linked it once, but I'll link it again:

https://www.splcenter.org/20160421/whose-heritage-public-symbols-confederacy#findings

It was about creating a mythos of 'Honor' and 'Heritage' around the Confederacy and the Civil War that didn't exist, and largely started during Jim Crow and Civl Rights era.
But please, continue to argue its just about honoring those who fought. OH WAIT, they have Confederate Cemeteries for that.

quote:

But two distinct periods saw a significant rise in the dedication of monuments and other symbols.

The first began around 1900, amid the period in which states were enacting Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise the newly freed African Americans and re-segregate society. This spike lasted well into the 1920s, a period that saw a dramatic resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan, which had been born in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War.

The second spike began in the early 1950s and lasted through the 1960s, as the civil rights movement led to a backlash among segregationists. These two periods also coincided with the 50th and 100th anniversaries of the Civil War.

boner confessor posted:

yes i know i am making fun of posters itt who think there are thousands and thousands of confederate memorials across the south because they can't read a simple article

Let's not let your racist past taint your views or anything ;)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

Okay, it had occurred to me you were being ironic, and edited my post.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

CNN is a superhero like Spiderman, who was trying to stop a train in the same fashion. Spiderman was so powerful that his legs didn't break as his feet crashed through miles of railway ties.

Context is important, hyperbole is kinda childish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhRZB-nqOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm glad that my great grandad is forever memorialized for fighting in The War by a statue of a a general.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

evilweasel posted:

pollsters are finally doing the needful, polling trump's actual floor. it's 25%

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/897506567557394432

What about "becoming a 'Democrat' again"

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

rkajdi posted:

I've said it before on the YouTube thread. Any able-bodied cis man who can't get laid in the US has something seriously wrong with them. You almost have to judge someone for being unable to fit into society on that basic a level. Even fat, ugly, whatever people have sex. To drive everyone off you have to be the kind of awful person that comes up with crazy poo poo like this idiot did.

Yeah! :sweatdrop::fh:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/897536858531536896

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm glad that my great grandad is forever memorialized for fighting in The War by a statue of a a general.

a good number of the confederate memorials in smaller towns are statues of the common soldier

not that this excuses them nor is it a reason they should be preserved for public display but still

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boner confessor posted:

one guy who made this claim even posted another article he didn't read that said there were less than two hundred confederate memorials in georgia and hilariously he did not spot the contradiction

VV he did it again lol. there's a difference between a memorial and a marker, friend, but at this point i'm just repeating myself and if you didn't understand me the first couple times there's no reason to believe you'll suddenly understand me

I mean...there are a lot of them

BC is right that the article is conflating "celebrating the confederacy" with "any marker that mentions the civil war", though. We should have lots and lots of things that mention the Civil war.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

rkajdi posted:

I'd add in a "...who actually wants sex" qualifier in there, but yeah basically.

boner confessor posted:

a good number of the confederate memorials in smaller towns are statues of the common soldier

not that this excuses them nor is it a reason they should be preserved for public display but still

I don't think it's fundamentally problematic to have a memorial to the dead that has a generic soldier on top, and some battles happened in cities. Even Germany has those.

But since racists don't operate in good faith I'd be cool with a mandated generic pointy marker monolith and a message template. "On this site in ____________ the battle of _________ ended with ____________ lives lost." Blanks can be filled in with sharpie.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 15, 2017

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Red Baron posted:

I assume there's a lot of overlap. The thing about these guys is that a large percentage of them are basically losers. They're failures - socially, academically, professionally, romantically. That makes them very susceptible to ideologies which tell them they're superior just for being white or a man. They get to be better than other people, and best of all it can't be taken away - you can't fail at being white, or a man, which is good for them because they aren't very good at succeeding at things. So there's probably a lot of overlap there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chilichimp posted:

Did you... read the sign? That's actually good historical information, or is this ironic?

He's sarcastic posting because he's been having a multi page meltdown over tracking Confederate monuments.

• Locked thread