Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Junior Jr. posted:

I don't think Bitcoin Cash is gonna go far, hell it's not even supported on Coinbase so I don't see any point in mining them.

Also GPU mining seems to be running back to normal, now I can get slightly bigger profits instead of just 2 bucks a day.

What's normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Coinbase will be implementing support for Bitcoin Cash, iirc

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Poloniex will support it in January

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
1070 prices have crept back up. I relisted mine in the hopes of getting a free year of use out of it. 1080s are back to fairly "normal" values on the used market. The GPU economy is weird.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://splinternews.com/all-this-bitcoin-stuff-is-fake-1797714696
Which one of you is this? He's even comparing to burritos

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Fauxtool posted:

I sent him a book, 'cos that deserved one.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

divabot posted:

I sent him a book, 'cos that deserved one.

Should've sent a burrito...

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Nice! My $26 grew to $36 and I cashed it out for an amazon giftcard. Bitcoin is high at the moment.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Fauxtool posted:

:lol:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
I don't even....

http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/BitCoen-to-become-first-electronic-currency-specifically-for-Jews-501885

This is a real, legit publication, right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
BitCoen: it's a lot like taking a pile of money, burying it in the middle of nowhere, and losing it forever

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Wtf I check my computer and see nicehash and it says some dollar amount that makes no sense so I check coinbase and bitcoin is $3850? Jesus

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I think the lesson to be learned here is always hold on to your bitcoins, right?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

Wtf I check my computer and see nicehash and it says some dollar amount that makes no sense so I check coinbase and bitcoin is $3850? Jesus

The guy who said 4,000 after the fork was correct! :aaa:

100,000 bitcoin here we go! To the mooooooooooooooo

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jesus over 4k and climbing, makes me wish I didn't cash most of mine out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Its that high because you can't cash out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

That's just gambler thinking; you can't actually time a peak. Be thankful that you cashed out for profit and didn't hold on until the next big crash

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

That's just gambler thinking; you can't actually time a peak. Be thankful that you cashed out for profit and didn't hold on until the next big crash

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

MaxxBot posted:

I cashed out my original earnings forever ago when Bitcoin was ~$1

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I cashed out my original earnings forever ago when Bitcoin was ~$1

Same.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

hobbesmaster posted:

Its that high because you can't cash out.

Huh?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If only I had picked the lottery numbers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think he's referring to the cycle that gets created when a major exchange (like Bitfinex or MtGox before it) stops USD withdrawals but permits bitcoin withdrawals; this drives demand for bitcoin at that exchange (because people want to get their money out), driving the price of bitcoin up everywhere thanks to arbitrage. People see the new price increasing and go to one of the major bitcoin exchanges, such as Bitfinex, to buy some bitcoins, but then when they want to cash out they see that they can't, so the feedback loop continues.

As you might expect, the opposite thing happened when two big Chinese exchanges stopped Bitcoin withdrawals but permitted withdrawal of actual money.

You might ask: when does such a feedback loop end? That's near-impossible to predict, like any bubble. Anyone buying in right now, or holding right now, is making a huge gamble that they'll be able to predict the peak before the crash.

hobbz
Sep 9, 2003

Out in the night, snow fell like confetti over the Devil's parade.
Feeling pretty good about buying $500 worth of bitcoins at around $3200. Let's see how this strategy plays out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

God speed, hope you can time the peak

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Jokes on you guys, $5 of my BTC I forgot about is now worth $10, time to cash out :razz:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

hobbz posted:

Feeling pretty good about buying $500 worth of beanie babies at around $3200. Let's see how this strategy plays out.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Down 500 dollars overnight.

The worst thing about bitcoins is making me click my 1080 profitability bookmark and check every day to see if it'll ever be back to 10 dollar a day levels. Even when it was 4,500 dollars people weren't paying anything for mining, only like 2 something.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

craig588 posted:

The worst thing about bitcoins is making me click my 1080 profitability bookmark and check every day to see if it'll ever be back to 10 dollar a day levels. Even when it was 4,500 dollars people weren't paying anything for mining, only like 2 something.

The problem is while BTC went way up, the value of the coins we are mining did not, or at least not a similar amount.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Sadly I considered this a good strategy 20 years ago but in my defense I was 8 years old. Anyone want to buy some Beanie Babies?

craig588 posted:

There was a modest uptick on Nicehash, nothing huge but slightly better than before the rally started.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbz posted:

Feeling pretty good about buying $500 worth of bitcoins at around $3200. Let's see how this strategy plays out.

gently caress man you are gonna be so rich

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I mean it was under 2000 like a month ago wasn't it? I don't know how you could even begin to feel good about that decision.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because short term greed clouds long term common sense

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

Jokes on you guys, $5 of my BTC I forgot about is now worth $10, time to cash out :razz:

When the hyperinflation apocalypse happens, are you going to (1) let your parents have some of that money, or (2) spit on them and leave them to rot in the gutter? If you picked 1 you're a beta who's going to die like the rest and I'm glad you sold so that there's more bitcoins for the strong hands to HODL.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Buttcoin purse posted:

When the hyperinflation apocalypse happens, are you going to (1) let your parents have some of that money, or (2) spit on them and leave them to rot in the gutter? If you picked 1 you're a beta who's going to die like the rest and I'm glad you sold so that there's more bitcoins for the strong hands to HODL.

I will keep this in mind while I transfer the :10bux: to amazon credits.

Honestly though, the people that had thousands of bitcoin in 2014/2015 are probably in either severe depression or contemplating suicide. Like can you imagine, time bias of course, that you were holding millions of dollars worth of fake internet money and threw it away for pennies?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

I will keep this in mind while I transfer the :10bux: to amazon credits.

Honestly though, the people that had thousands of bitcoin in 2014/2015 are probably in either severe depression or contemplating suicide. Like can you imagine, time bias of course, that you were holding millions of dollars worth of fake internet money and threw it away for pennies?

I could have bought them at $0.01 each I think about that a lot. GBS told me not to lol. Of course Id have sold everything when it hit a dollar but still.

Also the people who bought pizzas for 30 bitcoins

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

1gnoirents posted:

I could have bought them at $0.01 each I think about that a lot. GBS told me not to lol. Of course Id have sold everything when it hit a dollar but still.

you mean 10000

nerox
May 20, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

That's the problem, everyone is saying "Man, if had bought at 0.01 cents I would be a millionaire off my investment!". But at the same time, what makes you think you would ride every downturn, every failed exchange, would you even still have your bitcoins or would you have lost them to said exchanges?

At the same time, there have been a lot more failed crypto-currencies and other schemes than ones that survive. No one looks back and says, I wish I had bought more flooz!

*Note: I know Flooz wasn't a cryptocurrency, but from the end-user standpoint, its an alternative currency for internet sales that was fraught with credit card fraud just like a real cryptocurrency!

nerox fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 16, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought 1 bitcoin when it was around 1 dollar and sold it when it was at around 800. (actually it was around 1,000, but the only way I could figure out how to turn it into cash at the time had fees to make it like 800 something) I just wanted to try a weird internet thing and 1 dollar was so low I didn't have to care about it just to be a part of this weird internet thing.

The only way I can recommend someone trying out this weird internet thing now though is according to the OP. Check profitability, see if it's worth it to you. It's not to me, but every day I hope for a return to 10 dollars a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's been pretty well discussed that none of the exchanges back then are still up so you couldn't really have any old Bitcoin unless it was on a private wallet. Mining them yourself to a private wallet is the only realistic way it could happen

• Locked thread