Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

worst case scenario you get sent to fat camp

90 day paid fat camp is a pretty good go from what I hear. a pretty big guy on my combat engineer platoon was in st. jean for loving THREE years. he had an xbox there and everything. i cant even imagine living at the mega for 3 loving years my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Goobs posted:

90 day paid fat camp is a pretty good go from what I hear. a pretty big guy on my combat engineer platoon was in st. jean for loving THREE years. he had an xbox there and everything. i cant even imagine living at the mega for 3 loving years my god.

living there for 3 months is bad enough, god that place sucks

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

living there for 3 months is bad enough, god that place sucks

you dont like sleeping in cubicles? lol. i did a winter course, still have frostbite from back in 2010. st jean is where dreams go to die.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I know a guy in Borden who spent three years at CFLRS. He had a bad time on basic.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
jesus did he break his back or something?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There was a young woman who was at CFLRS when I was there in 2003, and rumour said she'd been there for at least a year because she kept getting recoursed for abysmal failures in weapons handling courses. She couldn't really speak distinctly, and one of the few times I heard her say something she was asking someone where the green lockers were.

The most identifiable feature to NCMs in the Mega and the one thing I could still locate today with a bag on my head. Those lockers.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i think i could probably navigate that place with a bag on my head to this day. real poo poo simple layout.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

We had a guy fail his weapons test in basic 7 times. He of course blamed every instructor who instructed us as well as our own staff of being racist. That was definitely the reason why he failed...for sure. He even got a lawyer. Not even making GBS threads you. I think it was around the lawyer part where they recoursed him.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
We had a ton of recourses from weapons handling in our BMQ course as well. Having taught the module to BMQ candidates I can sorta see why though. The lesson plan goes into painstaking detail on drills but doesn't really put much thought into why we need to do the drills in the order given. It's probably too regimented, and considering how many morons out there get NDs it could be a little more relaxed and off-the-book. On the course I taught as section commander, the instructors switched sections for the C7 handling and I failed the entire other section - some several times.

Their section was always given an unloaded rifle to start the classes on, so they were in the habit of picking it up, racking the action a couple times, and squeezing the trigger. For the examination there's obviously a loaded C7 sitting there so each and every one of them picked it up, racked the action, and squeezed the trigger with a dummy round in the chamber. They were oblivious to the fact that pulling the cocking handle pulled the bolt carrier back and set a round from the magazine into the chamber, so I had to personally show each of them how the mechanism actually worked. Teaching confidence and knowledge is a lot more important than memorizing a sequence of events.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

acumen posted:

. It's probably too regimented, and considering how many morons out there get NDs it could be a little more relaxed and off-the-book. On the course I taught as section commander, the instructors switched sections for the C7 handling and I failed the entire other section - some several times.

We had MCpl Kenol, and if he got any farther off-book he'd have been charged. Dude was hilarious... to a point.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

acumen posted:

We had a ton of recourses from weapons handling in our BMQ course as well. Having taught the module to BMQ candidates I can sorta see why though. The lesson plan goes into painstaking detail on drills but doesn't really put much thought into why we need to do the drills in the order given. It's probably too regimented, and considering how many morons out there get NDs it could be a little more relaxed and off-the-book. On the course I taught as section commander, the instructors switched sections for the C7 handling and I failed the entire other section - some several times.

Their section was always given an unloaded rifle to start the classes on, so they were in the habit of picking it up, racking the action a couple times, and squeezing the trigger. For the examination there's obviously a loaded C7 sitting there so each and every one of them picked it up, racked the action, and squeezed the trigger with a dummy round in the chamber. They were oblivious to the fact that pulling the cocking handle pulled the bolt carrier back and set a round from the magazine into the chamber, so I had to personally show each of them how the mechanism actually worked. Teaching confidence and knowledge is a lot more important than memorizing a sequence of events.

ya when i went through the instructors taught about the function of the rifle and answered questions and i think maybe 1 person failed their test?

the absolute best thing was in farnham though, 2-3 people got NDs and the course warrant came out and said "next person to get an ND gets a fuckin charge" then promptly NDs

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Well? You never forgot the lesson, did you :)?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Some people failed from fumbling while hand-bombing mags, and some people had no idea how a rifle works. I was surprised by the variety. Of course we also had a guy from France that understood neither English nor Quebec French and he failed just about everything in unusual ways.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Kazinsal posted:

Every few months I consider joining but I've got a two year diploma instead of a degree so I can't be a noble without getting a bachelor's of something and enlisting seems like a bit of a waste of my two years.

Also I'm a horrendous swimmer so that's pretty much a big red X.

Dude, go to Kingston. finish your degree as an officer-cadet, get paid doing it, and get posted afterwards with no student debt.

C'mon, son.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i heard the regimen at RMC fuckin sucks

Frosted Flake posted:

Some people failed from fumbling while hand-bombing mags, and some people had no idea how a rifle works. I was surprised by the variety. Of course we also had a guy from France that understood neither English nor Quebec French and he failed just about everything in unusual ways.

first time I touched a rifle outside of hanging out in the armoury of my dad's unit as a kid was in BMQ.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

i heard the regimen at RMC fuckin sucks

first time I touched a rifle outside of hanging out in the armoury of my dad's unit as a kid was in BMQ.

A lot of dudes in my course talking poo poo about which one of them was the best shot, how they hunt all the time, etc. Turns out I ended up getting top shot for graduation, never touched a rifle in my life.

I also got jacked up for making smiley faces in the targets on the range during our practice day. I think firing a rifle is a skill that a lot of people can be born with but is something that if you do enough times, can get better.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Goobs posted:

A lot of dudes in my course talking poo poo about which one of them was the best shot, how they hunt all the time, etc. Turns out I ended up getting top shot for graduation, never touched a rifle in my life.

I also got jacked up for making smiley faces in the targets on the range during our practice day. I think firing a rifle is a skill that a lot of people can be born with but is something that if you do enough times, can get better.

yea, it's all about hand/eye coordination. some people just don't have it. i shot marksman the first time we did that test who's name i forget and it was like the third time i've ever shot.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I saw some ancient documentary on the Gurkhas and one of the British officers commented that they make excellent shots because they are so foreign to a modern automatic bullpup rifle that they'll do exactly as they are trained. I imagine someone who has been plinking with an AR will bring all kinds of bad habits onto a C7.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Shooting is like 99% just practice and equipment. Never touched a gun in my life until basic, did poorly on PWTs all through training, ended up a sniper a year later and became good after doing a lot of it.

I'd hazard at least half of PWT failures during BMQ+ are improperly sighted weapons or other equipment issues.10 rounds to zero a gun that you've never fired before with an Elcan that was recently removed is nowhere close to enough.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
god i wish the artillery put people through the sniper course, i just wanted to know if i could do it :(

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
I believe going from CFLRS to Esquimalt is as close to dying and going to heaven as you can get.

During my grad week, there was an outbreak of flesh eating disease of some sort (invasive strep?). I think a couple kids ended up in intensive care or somewhat if Mega rumours are to be believed.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the only outbreaks i've ever heard of in St. Jean were outbreaks of gastro. gotta love pissin out your rear end

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

SuperSix posted:

I believe going from CFLRS to Esquimalt is as close to dying and going to heaven as you can get.

Buddy, going from any location in the CF to Victoria is dying and going to heaven. Just did an HHT in Vic (I lived there for years), it's astounding the level of suck I've grown to tolerate in 2.5 years on the prairies. Fuckin' triumph of the human spirit that anyone can live here.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

compressioncut posted:

Buddy, going from any location in the CF to Victoria is dying and going to heaven. Just did an HHT in Vic (I lived there for years), it's astounding the level of suck I've grown to tolerate in 2.5 years on the prairies. Fuckin' triumph of the human spirit that anyone can live here.

it turned me into an alcoholic

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Then again, some aspect of heaven are pretty bad. Like the drivers on the island...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I've been living in Victoria for a year and a half now and yeah, the drivers here generally suck. But hoooo boy, at least it's not Vancouver proper. I grew up and learned to drive there, and it took me a long time to un-Vancouver my driving habits.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Dantes posted:

Then again, some aspect of heaven are pretty bad. Like the drivers on the island...

Nope, Sask and MB are far worse. Nova Scotia is insanely bad, Quebec is Quebec. Can't speak to the rest, perhaps there's a driving nirvana out there but I doubt it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Newfoundland is pretty bad because its all old people doing at least 10 under the speed limit with nowhere to pass. Quebec is the absolute worst though.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Dantes posted:

One winter I was at the Mcdicks near Esquimalt getting coffee before going to base and I heard a scraping sound. Turned around and it was a city bus just side swiping around 15 cars parked out front of mcdonalds on the street. Glad I parked in the parking lot.

Vic is a nice place to live. I did a VOT from NESOP to combat engineer and regretted it as soon as I got to Gagetown. What a loving dump.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
how can you hate gagetown? it's only second to WInnipeg in mosquitos and Suffield in mud.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A reminder that if you see any current serving CAF members posting white nationalist poo poo on Facebook to blue falcon the gently caress out of them

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the knights templar counts as white nationalist poo poo

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Like...the actual knights Templar? Or some sort of conspiracy theory stuff?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
actual legitimate knights templar poo poo. a buddy who was in the army joined it and a couple dudes still in asked about how you join it.

the letter he got alludes to saving the white race from the brutal Muslim hordes but doesn't actually outright state it, so I'm not sure.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
They aren't afraid of Assassins ?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
they've gotten brazen in the last couple years

edit: here is the actual letter they sent my buddy

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 15, 2017

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yep, that's a racist organization. http://powerbase.info/index.php/Knights_Templar_International

Tell buddy to get out of it now, and show that letter up the chain.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 15, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Unfortunately this nationalistic poo poo seems to speak to enlisted too drat well.

One of the only times I ever had to swing rank was with a no-hook pte that was mouthing off some racist bullshit about how the CF should be a "whites only" club, I lost it on him. Got a stern talking to from my BSM and BC about decorum after that one, but at least they understood and agreed why I did it, but went around it the wrong way.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I also have a sergeant that posts anti-trudeau poo poo all the time. but i have the feeling that it will be completely ignored if i report it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They'll probably just call him to the office and have a chat, especially if he's doing it with all kinds of pictures of himself in uniform. If it's highly threatening stuff then that's going to end up in the sights of the RCMP in opening a file on him.