Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Mounted a 1.25 Gallon spare fuel tank on my nx 250. The 185 km range before you hit the reserve is a bit limiting, you need to think about where to get fuel after 130km or you may get in trouble.
I had a 1.5L small spare fuel flask, but that was kinda small.
The spare tank gives an extra 120-130km, so total range is up from 240ish to 370Km.

The rack is lopsided because of the exhaust on one side, so it just balances the look out. The soft bags fits over it nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Finally got around to installing the Chinese combination tachometer/speedometer.

Deleted stock speedo, tach, and light cluster. Removed the bird's nest of garbage in the headlight bucket. There are now 3 wires in there: Hi, lo, ground.

The tach works great after setting the unit up for the correct number of cylinders, but the speedo doesn't work. I'm not sure how close the Hall Effect sensor has to be to the magnet, but it's really close now, and I'm just not getting speed.

Other things to note: There's no "OIL" light on this unit, so I wired the oil switch to the big green "N" light, and I connected the neutral switch to "GEAR 1." When the bike is in neutral, the gear select says 1; if it's not in neutral, the display is blank.

I didn't wire up the fuel input yet; the stock gauge is still mostly working.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

oh dear

That's better. Hopefully this tire makes it through the rest of the season.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'm a big fan of rosso iis, but i've only used them on the sumo. they seem to get used up pretty quickly (~3k per tire) in 155 anyway

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

i'm a big fan of rosso iis, but i've only used them on the sumo. they seem to get used up pretty quickly (~3k per tire) in 155 anyway

Stop doing sick burnouts.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Repaired my repair of a clutch cable (again).

Finally got a shipment notice on the replacment cable I ordered, so hopefully this repair will hold for a couple of days.

The first time I repaired the cable, I just cut the end off. Cue some rain, and the cable end corroded off. This time, I filled the exposed end with solder. Hopefully all the dissimilar metals will act as sacrificial anodes and let the steel cable last the week until the replacement gets here.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Is this goldwing your only mode of transportation? I know I was snarky earlier, but based on the couple of questions I've seen of yours and the descriptions of some of your fixes/changes, you don't seem to have a lot of mechanical aptitude yet. Why are you trying to repair a clutch cable? Maybe just park it until you get the replacement and have it correctly installed. From earlier, don't fill factory holes with JB Weld. Why did you remove the original gauges?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dutymode posted:

Is this goldwing your only mode of transportation? I know I was snarky earlier, but based on the couple of questions I've seen of yours and the descriptions of some of your fixes/changes, you don't seem to have a lot of mechanical aptitude yet. Why are you trying to repair a clutch cable? Maybe just park it until you get the replacement and have it correctly installed. From earlier, don't fill factory holes with JB Weld. Why did you remove the original gauges?

Yes, this goldwing is my only mode of transportation.

My mechanical aptitude is fine. I'm a mechanic by trade.

The original gauges don't work since the cables are broken. I'm filling the factory cable ends with jbweld, then putting them in the holes in the cases, to prevent foreign object intrusion thereinto. I repaired the cable because the replacement I ordered took forever to actually ship.

I'm not selling this bike. I got it for cheap, I'm gonna ride it until it falls all the way apart. It's a motorcycle from 1976. It (at some point) had the factory carbs pulled off and a chinese knockoff VW beetle carb grafted on. It had some flavor of honda electronic ignition tacked in, but still has the mechanical spark advance. It's got a windjammer fairing from some other bike, with the wiring (sorta) working with scotch-loks. The top case is from a harley. The exhaust is from a GL1200 with generic chromish "mufflers" welded on.

I'm going to keep repairing it, keeping it running, and making it a functional vehicle, one removed PO disaster at a time.

I've already fixed the jetting, repaired most of why it won't idle, fixed the clutch cable engagement range, actually engineered a proper throttle linkage so both barrels of this carb open and I can go over 50% throttle, fixed the brakes, brake lights, and brake light switches, replaced the 7V regulator, starter solenoid, flasher relay, and a stack of fuses, chased out dead wires, and just generally taken this misshapen ancient beast and made it mine; all its problems are now MY problems, and I can solve them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good lord.

I commend you for getting it running well with a car carb.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Good lord.

I commend you for getting it running well with a car carb.

I could commit him for terminal insanity. And I say that as someone who's had a GL1000 (mostly) in parts sitting in my garage slowly getting unfucked of PO abuse for about two years now.

Restoring and unfucking one as a hobby project is one thing, but relying on a 40+ year old frankenbike as your only transport that doesn't involve a bus pass is certifiable.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bought the fucker finally.

Wife's bike showed up 3 months late thanks to an EPA delay (F U Volkswagen).

But it's home now, and awesome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's that box thingy on the switchblock?

e: wait is that the actual switch block? Looks loving gigantic

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Might be a perspective thing or my lovely phone, pretty normal proportions in person.

We didn't get home till late tonight, only got to put about 50 miles on it but I'll go in depth in the next few days.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Spiffness posted:

Might be a perspective thing or my lovely phone, pretty normal proportions in person.

We didn't get home till late tonight, only got to put about 50 miles on it but I'll go in depth in the next few days.

Did you have the chance the ride the older model? They added a bit of wet weight to this one as it has a bigger gas tank, but they supposedly fattened up the mid-throttle power.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Skreemer posted:

Did you have the chance the ride the older model? They added a bit of wet weight to this one as it has a bigger gas tank, but they supposedly fattened up the mid-throttle power.

The last one was grom level gutless. I'd be interested to know how this one fares, too. Really sweet biek, though!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
The headlight on the new 390 is so unfortunate, though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HotCanadianChick posted:

I could commit him for terminal insanity. And I say that as someone who's had a GL1000 (mostly) in parts sitting in my garage slowly getting unfucked of PO abuse for about two years now.

Restoring and unfucking one as a hobby project is one thing, but relying on a 40+ year old frankenbike as your only transport that doesn't involve a bus pass is certifiable.

:whatup:

The three in the middle are a 75, 76, and 77 GL1000.

http://imgur.com/a/A3k5y
http://imgur.com/a/77jVJ
http://imgur.com/a/eSFWD
http://imgur.com/a/McwZv

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I had an '81 GL1100 myself but sold it rather than go through the tank removal nightmare.

What would be the closest thing today to a naked goldwing? R1200R? Sportster?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

^^^^ R nineT ?

Dutymode posted:

The headlight on the new 390 is so unfortunate, though.

Yeah? Man, I think they nailed the styling. It looks ace.

I never rode the last 390. This one is up 2 torques! WOO! Also gained like 10 lbs or something.

I'm a tall dude and my body is gravitating towards 'desk job' as I age- I wouldn't call it gutless. It was a doddle to get it up on the rear wheel in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. It hustles to 60. At the end of the day its 40 w/e HP (309 scale weight, according to title) so it's not going to your mind but if you let it be what it is, it's drat good.

The TFT dash is awesome in person. Bluetooth works with the Senna to tell you who's calling and whats playing (portraits and album art). You can skip songs and navigate your phones BT functions by app using the (back lit, nice) controls. All these little features make it seem way fancier than a bike that was a hair under 6k OTD.

Anyway, the most important thing is my wife is absolutely enamored with it. It fits her frame really well, feels a bit like a dirt bike, loud styling and has plenty of punch to get silly with.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dutymode posted:

I had an '81 GL1100 myself but sold it rather than go through the tank removal nightmare.

Honda sells a naked (well, as naked as bikes get these days) Gold Wing called the Valkyrie

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
R9T seems close. I forgot about the Valkyrie, ha, but it's hideous and somehow another 150 lbs.

I haven't ridden the 390, but I agree from sitting on it that it's super ergonomic. I also like the trellis frame and fun colors. The headlight just looks a little suggestive and I can't unsee it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dutymode posted:

I really like the R1150R rockster. But it feels as big as it looks. Never spent any time on a 1200.
It's pretty cool being able to see over literally everything else on the road though.

I don't think anything else I've ever ridden comes close to the naked Goldwing. Particularly the early ones.
They actually have really peaky motors with a tight powerband high up in the range. People think they're torqe-y motors, but that's just because there's a heavy flywheel / lots of rotating engine mass.
Despite being large and old, it's fairly easy to handle and can tear up a canyon pretty good. It's easier to drag the heads than you'd expect, so valve cover guards are a good thing to have.

The one thing I dislike about my '75 is the lack of a primary chain tensioner. It sounds like an angry badger in a dryer with a stomach full of marbles. Also, the carbs are a loving nightmare.

After I move into my new house, I'm planning on getting the dark red one back on the road and probably sell it shortly after. The other two are going to combine to become one glorious GL1000.
That'll be a retirement project though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dutymode posted:

The headlight just looks a little suggestive and I can't unsee it.

"Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you stop stunt riding, Travis?"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Honda sells a naked (well, as naked as bikes get these days) Gold Wing called the Valkyrie

That looks loving amazing. :monocle:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

That looks loving amazing. :monocle:

Vision impairment confirmed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

It looks like it was designed as the main vehicle in Full Throttle 2, by someone who has only seen a motorcycle in Full Throttle 1.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ola posted:

It looks like it was designed as the main vehicle in Full Throttle 2, by someone who has only seen a motorcycle in Full Throttle 1.

Something about it reminds me of a locomotive.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

That looks beautiful. But only in that color. And not for whatever LOL price honda probably charges.

fake edit : EIGHTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS WHAT THE gently caress HONDA :getout:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Would ride the poo poo out of that thing, especially in a nice classy maroon or British racing green.

It's basically the rune for the 2010s gentleman, right?

A rune with a not-crazy front end, that is.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 18, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Rune was a special super-custom version of the Valkyrie, which was a regular cruiser using the Gold Wing's flat-6 engine.

Today the Gold Wing is still the 900-pound beast with k/q seats and all the bags and fairings, the Gold Wing F6B is a cut-down version with only two hard cases and a regular seat, and the Gold Wing Valkyrie is the same bike with no bags or fairings at all.

So basically yes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

The Rune was a special super-custom version of the Valkyrie, which was a regular cruiser using the Gold Wing's flat-6 engine.

Today the Gold Wing is still the 900-pound beast with k/q seats and all the bags and fairings, the Gold Wing F6B is a cut-down version with only two hard cases and a regular seat, and the Gold Wing Valkyrie is the same bike with no bags or fairings at all.

So basically yes.

________________________________/

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I slapped the CR80 crank, cases, and top end together today. Now to pick through the piles of garbage and see what's missing. At least the whole transmission was there!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Installed new OEM clutch cable.

Fixed my turn signals and head lights. Head light was a loose connector in the harness. Turn signal was confusing. The bulb was working (I swapped left to right), but the signal didn't work. All the connectors were good and I had good voltage at the connector up to the bar. I couldn't figure it out, so I just got some speaker wire and ran it straight from the battery to a switch then down to the turn signal. I only had 3' of wire and 3 wire nuts, but stripped in half, that turns into 6'. Still not very much wire, so the switch is just jammed under the cover next to the gas cap. One of the wire nuts wasn't twisting up right, so I just twisted those wires together and put a bunch of duct tape over top. It's working now, so whatever.

Not really. It was a loose connector under the seat. Turns out there's a channel the harness runs in that's under the fender, and the harness had gotten pulled into that at some point then come loose. I pulled the slack back out, reconnected the turn signal connector, and it's all good.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

Finally switched out the waaaay old (10+ years I'd guess) brake fluid. This was from the front brake and the rear was just as dark. Amazing how much better the brakes feel now with new fluid.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Just purchased a DR650SE! Rode it around a bit today and am happy so far. I am coming from street bikes, and haven't ridden in a year, but I'm looking forward to taking this around the Bay Area.

PROLE ART THREAT fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 22, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I got the $25 chinese speedometer/tachometer finally calibrated.

The undocumented software works like this:
While holding the only button down, power on the unit.
Option 1: tire circumference in millimeters. I'm running a 190/80R18, so that comes out to 2227mm.
Option 2: number of magnets on the wheel. Comes with 2 magnets, factory default is 2.
Option 3: Number of cylinders. Set for 2 for wasted-spark 4-cylinder.
Option 4: Fuel sensor type. Not sure what the options mean, really, there's "2" and "3." I had to select "3" to get the fuel sender to work.
Option 5: No input, but appears to be the total mileage for the unit from forever.

I had the magnets mounted and option 1 seemed logical enough, but options 2 and 3 can both take many values. #2 ranges from 1-12, #3 is 1-8. I finally just broke out the arduino, wrote a stupid program to give me a 10% duty cycle square wave of known frequency, and plugged that and my USB oscilloscope into the stupid speedo.

At 20 Hz, I was expecting 100MPH (20 * 87.7 inches/rev * 3600 sec/mile) / (5280 ft/mile * 12 inches/foot) = 99 miles/hr). I noticed that option 3 had no effect. Option 1 had some marked but nonlinear effect. Option 2 had drastic scaling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I got the $25 chinese speedometer/tachometer finally calibrated.

$25? Can you post a link?

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

Just purchased a DR650SE! Rode it around a bit today and am happy so far. I am coming from street bikes, and haven't ridden in a year, but I'm looking forward to taking this around the Bay Area.

Holy poo poo is that thing clean! Nice score!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

$25? Can you post a link?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2712681152.html

Not this exact seller; I paid $24.87 shipped. 4-46 days fulfilment time, took mine about 3 weeks. As far as I can tell, they're all the same. There's a 14k RPM model, too, that works identically. Note that in the listing, all the gear select stuff is listed as "+12V." It's not, those are ground-to-activate. Neutral light, too. The lights (turn, light, hibeam) are just LEDs. They'll work from 7-28V. The unit itself works from 7-30V. Below about 11.8V, there's a flashing battery indicator, which is nice. If you leave the fuel sensor floating, it flashes, too. If none of the gear selectors are grounded, that area is blank.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

Wow that's good looking. You are gonna love it. The DR owns.

"What did you do to your ride *last weekend*"

Took it moto-Glamping up to north GA to see the eclipse with friends. I'm simply amazed at how well this bike handles loaded down. I need to take it motocamping more often.

Loaded down, but the cockpit was never cramped or uncomfortable

Very pretty and helpful for beer runs while there

One of my camp buddies grew up with dirtbikes, and was eyeing my DR, so I was happy to let her ride it. It really is a relaxed bike you feel comfortable letting anyone ride. She loved it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How is the DR650 on the highway? I have a bead on a decent DR650 supermoto and it's hard not to pull the trigger.

Loaded down with gear I held 70-80 for hours slabbing it with only 50% throttle. Plenty of brappp left on tap. I got 53MPG. My gearing is -1 front +2 rear. The aero is actually very good on it, too, and my torso was out of the wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice! Looks like a fun trip.