Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You know the country is hosed because the only decent mainstream journalism organization left is the loving Onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I figure some of these "Should I get a gun" reactions are just panicked reactions but in case some of you are serious about arming yourselves please keep in mind that owning a gun isn't like owning a blender or some other item you think you need, use 2-3 times then forget in some dusty closet.

You need to learn how to use it (from experts not youtube videos) and then practice with it on the regular. Otherwise you will end up just being a danger to yourself or others.

This may come off as elitist but if you can't commit to attending some classes and getting in some range time once a month (I'm assuming you have no prior experience with firearms) then your better off without. This is the bare minimum you need to do, and even beyond the expense of the gun itself ammunition and range time can get expensive.

I'm saying that as a gun nut who loves nothing more than more people getting guns.

PS TFR Newbie thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3221380

TFR is very liberal friendly (For a gun forum) so don't be strangers y'all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder how our Best Friends Israel are taking this news.

A stupid, weak, and recklessly reactionary United States is as good for Netanyahu's Israel as it is for Putin's Russia. Ain't no one ~kvetching~ about the blitz of new (and illegal) settlements.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
:stare:

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/897598398492278785

:stare:

US loving sucks, glad I'm flying there tomorrow :shepicide:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Burning_Monk posted:

"just buy a gun" is horrible advice.

wrong, buying guns is good advice.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Burning_Monk posted:

lol loving goons. You don't need to be a master to defend yourself. It also doesn't take years to see results from daily exercise. And martial teaches you awareness as well as physical well being.

"just buy a gun" is horrible advice.

Just don't take something objectively terrible like "kung fu" or "Aikido". Go to a few physical classes in a discipline that actually wins in combat sports like Boxing or UFC events, so Boxing, Kick Boxing, MMA, BJJ or Wrestling. Anything else is trash and not worth doing, if it worked its practitioners would be making millions in combat sports.

Kale
May 14, 2010

All this gun talk and I kind of have to remember as a Canadian when I keep wondering "how the gently caress are you supposed to go about doing that?" that in the U.S it's about as easy as walking into a military surplus store and going "Yo give me your best assault rifle" and then the waiting period and background check then you have your gun.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you're a stupid idiot

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

What's the biggest gun I can legally buy in California?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I hope you guys were watching Fox News' Special Report, because Laura Ingraham crying about poor defenseless Trump and Krauthammer just unloading on her and Trump was magical

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
gently caress this Ben Ferguson guy. gently caress him so much.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kale posted:

All this gun talk and I kind of have to remember as a Canadian when I keep wondering "how the gently caress are you supposed to go about doing that?" that in the U.S it's about as easy as walking into a military surplus store and going "Yo give me your best assault rifle" and then the waiting period and background check then you have your gun.

Waiting period?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

he has to quit now right, that's the rules

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

If you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns, and that's all I'm gonna say about that. Thank you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

The Nazi's were not there in these numbers, and they are not "slightly more open about it at present" when they are literally murdering peaceful protesters and their leaders are celebrating the act as a sacrament. Your attempts to downplay the severity of the threat border on bad-faith arguments.

I never said anything about having to shoot "hordes of invading Nazi's". I am talking about firearm ownership specifically in the context of self defense from a random attack.

Now I have said over and over (and will keep doing so) that this is a survival situation now. We are all in a survival situation right now because if the Nazi's win this that is pretty much it for any sort of future you or I might want to even vaguely live through. America us not magically immune from Nazi's doing to our country what they do to every country they have ever seized control of. The rules of survival situations are very different from any other set of rules. In a survival situation if you do whatever you think is gonna maximize your potential to survive, and if a person concludes thatthe potential benefits of a firearm outweigh the downsides then all I can say is "Pistol skills decay quickly, get training, get certified, and practice regularly".

Are you truly sure about that? Are you really sure that America has not seen white supremacist violence with religious overtones on a vast scale before? Even in this past century? Because I don't think that is too unusual. It is not what we might be accustomed to in the past few decades but I don't think it represents a substantial departure from the norm.

And nazis have not seized control of the country, a white supremacist was elected president, by being a member of the established white supremacist party which has been the established white supremacist party for many decades now. This again is not unusual. America is, functionally, a white supremacist state. It practices de-facto segregation based on race and incarcerates and uses as slave labour massive sections of its black population. This is not unusual.

I reiterate that you are not in any more of a fight for survival than you have already been. The death of some protestors, in public, is not the end of the world. It is simply an immediately visible example of a long established trend that has been improving, in some ways, slowly. A backslide will not destroy society and does not represent an existential threat. It is simply something that should be opposed. I again have to state that you're sounding like a doomsayer and I don't think it's healthy for you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Buy a shotgun since it's more club-like but keep it unloaded

Hilariously it's more legal to open carry a shotgun than it is a bludgeon.

Flail control has gone too far.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Every time Trump takes the podium for a press conference, true magic happens.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kale posted:

someone hasnt heard of a gun show

Kale
May 14, 2010

I want to say yeah but Texas however.....

evilweasel posted:

someone hasnt heard of a gun show

Again Canadian here. The only times I've ever really seen guns in person are on Police and my friends dad that lives semi-hermetically across the street from a native reserve that has a couple of hunting rifles in his basement.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Depends on State/City/Whatever

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

stone cold posted:

if you're a stupid idiot

i'd rather have one and not need it, then not have one and need it.

doesn't explain why i have 7, though.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

capacity is regulated iirc, not size.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kale posted:

Actually, switch "military surplus store" with "Cabela's" and you're pretty on point. Milsurp stores are where you give the clerk a $100 bill, prove you "ain't no Fed" and learn what shady gunsmiths in your area will illegally mod your Cabela-bought AR or piece-of-poo poo AK into full-auto with a custom lower.

The gun industry is actually giving out *mail-in rebates* on ARs now. And no, I'm not linking any. This thread is turning into TFR.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 16, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you'd rather have seven and not need them, then need seven and not have them obviously

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The look on Mnuchin's face when Trump whips out the paper with the transcript of himself is utterly priceless it's at about uhh, 8 min or :15.

Mystic Mongol posted:

They just look like two dudes from Philly to me.
Exactly But I'd like to have this threatening photograph around the next time I hear about militant BLM

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kale posted:

I want to say yeah but Texas however.....

There's only like 10 states with waiting periods.

Numlock posted:

Depends on State/City/Whatever

I know, just making a joke.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There are no real restrictions on black powder firearms (they're regarded as antiques) and you can have them shipped to your house. So I imagine the biggest CA gun is some form of over .50 caliber muzzle loader.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

"beep boop i need gun beep boop"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

moostaffa posted:

gently caress this Ben Ferguson guy. gently caress him so much.

He's been a CNN talking head for years and has always been like this. However, it's important that both sides of the conversation be represented, for balance and integrity.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Prester even in your rather unique position you're unlikely to be attacked randomly by a nazi. And I don't think it's healthy to be thinking that way. Society has not broken down, it can endure far worse before it does. Your safest protection is the statistical improbability of being attacked and your next safest protection is community. If you're worried about your safety then friends will help you far more than firearms.

I really don't want to be unpleasant but you're posting like someone unwell at the moment and I really don't want you to end up getting lost in panic.

The alt right is armed to the teeth and has no qualms about using violence against the rest of us. Why the hell would you advocate for people to be defenseless?

Yes obviously the majority of us aren't going to get randomly attacked by Nazis while walking down the street. But this alt right movement is going to grow. Hell, they have all 3 branches of the government right now. They can get away with literal murder at this point and they know it.

I will not unarmed and defenseless. I hope pansy rear end liberals pull their heads out of their asses and get armed before it's too late.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

crip eating bread why don't you just buy a nerf gun to gently caress

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

In normal times I would agree with you, but these are not normal times....snip
I am not a schizophrenic. I have no mental disorders. I believe she is right.

You should take her seriously.

I also doubted and time and again was proven wrong. I've been on an all crow diet for a while now. I don't know what's going to happen next, but planning for the worst seems like the wise option.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/897601766920998914

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HappyHippo posted:

SPLC is a good charity to donate to, right?

I have my detail quibbles and yet give them money and / because I constantly use them as a source.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gop all mad trump broke their dogwhistle.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Charliegrs posted:

The alt right is armed to the teeth and has no qualms about using violence against the rest of us. Why the hell would you advocate for people to be defenseless?

Yes obviously the majority of us aren't going to get randomly attacked by Nazis while walking down the street. But this alt right movement is going to grow. Hell, they have all 3 branches of the government right now. They can get away with literal murder at this point and they know it.

I will not unarmed and defenseless. I hope pansy rear end liberals pull their heads out of their asses and get armed before it's too late.

please do us all a favor and dont store your gun you will forget about in six months in your vehicle or some other place where it is easily stolen thank you

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I want mom and dad to stop fighting :smith:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hmm so six people have left Trumps council as of today. That's a lot of revenge tweeting yet to happen.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/897603369115799552

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Speaking of which, I wonder how our Best Friends Israel are taking this news.

I don't know what officials are saying, but I can tell you the most vile, far-right Israeli I keep tabs on is firmly in the "both sides" camp. Specifically, "both sides hate the Jews."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If Trump is removed from office via 25th amendment, does the Russia investigation stop?

• Locked thread