Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

wacky rear end network made me double post. Marquez went down in the same spot, They were pointing at Bautista leaving oil on the track. Though Rossi went through the same area just fine.

AND MotoGP.com just posted it:

quote:

Crutchlow headed straight for hospital after qualifying to get a definitive verdict on a possible vertebrae injury and was given good news as a scan revealed no fracture, meaning he will be able to line up in Sunday’s race.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Rain/dry track hilarity. Oh and Ianone crashed in the pits when trying to bike swap.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MotoGP Calvinball rules there for the first few laps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was surprised how much Rossi recovered after he stayed out so long on wets. Few other guys did that too, don't know if it would've possible on Bridgestones.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah same. Rossi pulled a horseshoe outta somewhere. Great moves by Marquez though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I don't understand what happened with Lorenzo. He was leading the race, and yeah he delayed on going in, but not as much as Rossi. I guess he had the right pace on the wet tires, but wasn't able to replicate it on the slicks? Just seemed weird to do so well and then so bad.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

hayden. posted:

I don't understand what happened with Lorenzo. He was leading the race, and yeah he delayed on going in, but not as much as Rossi. I guess he had the right pace on the wet tires, but wasn't able to replicate it on the slicks? Just seemed weird to do so well and then so bad.

The Ducati is REALLY sensitive to tire compounds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

What happened is his team send him a text to pull into the pits thinking he had about a lap to go. But they misjudged his position on the track so he got the message a few corners before pit entry. As he pulled into the pits they were still swapping out suspension stuff so he ended up waiting 15 seconds while they hosed around and then going out on a bike with a half wet/half dry setup.

His team hosed him over at the race he had the best chance of winning at thus far. Classic ducati.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
That sucks. The commentators completed ignored him after the pit stop, was frustrating they didn't mention or catch that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Apparently if Rossi wins here, that makes 30 unique tracks that he's posted a win at.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
After a first corner crash fest, There was a great fight for places 2-3, with a few different folks attempting to take 4th. Poor Olivera had a terrible highside after using up his tires getting to 4th.

Go Dovi, a flick of the wrist at Marquez dismissing Marquez to second place in the last corner.

Those freaking Hondas and Ducatis are so much faster than everything else on the track.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 13, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That was a super entertaining race and I got a big kick out of the difference in attitude between Marc and Dovi in the post race interviews.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was a fantastic race.

Yamaha fumble again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that Dovi/Marquez battle! Not a dull moment all the way to the last couple turns.

Nice to see Zarco up in fifth as well.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 16, 2017

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
German round of WorldSBK this weekend. I can't watch both races until tomorrow.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Announced today that Moto2 rider Takaaki Nakagami is moving up to MotoGP next year with LCR Honda (shock). News here:

https://twitter.com/takanakagami30/status/899198989349736449

Not shocking, he has a major sponsor behind him (Idemitsu) and Honda hasn't had a Japanese rider in the top level since Aoyama left.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Nakagami has his moments and is usually pretty good at the start of the race, but once the tires start to go off, his pace drops off a lot. He also doesn't seem to be nearly as aggressive as most of the other riders. He's a solid 5th through 8th place finisher though, that can steal a few podiums here and there when conditions and luck are just right.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WorldSBK Germany:
Race1
Davies, Rea, Sykes

Race2
Davies, Rea, Melandri

Not much real excitement. A few spots of rain near the end of race 2, but pretty much status quo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

Nakagami has his moments and is usually pretty good at the start of the race, but once the tires start to go off, his pace drops off a lot. He also doesn't seem to be nearly as aggressive as most of the other riders. He's a solid 5th through 8th place finisher though, that can steal a few podiums here and there when conditions and luck are just right.

Zarco and Folger have led me to give up attempting to guess which m2 riders might turn out to be good in the premier class, he might turn out to be absolutely brilliant.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

Zarco and Folger have led me to give up attempting to guess which m2 riders might turn out to be good in the premier class, he might turn out to be absolutely brilliant.
The guy who was champ twice in a row in moto2 is really good in motogp and a a guy who was really good in moto2 is pretty decent in motogp makes you unsure about moto2? Those 2 are almost a straight 1 to 1 correlation of moto2 to motogp results.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Folger wasn't 'really good' he was the one who picked up the scraps when rins, Lowes, luthi and zarco were doing something else. Tito Rabat has the highest scoring season in m2 ever and routinely trounced zarco before leaving to finish last in every race in gp.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Promoting riders from moto2 makes the most sense especially compared to WSBK or moto3. Making that leap is still super tough and some riders take to it better than others. A rider getting the nod because of his passport happens all the time, so who knows how it will go.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Zarco then went on to beat the poo poo out of rabat the next year in moto2 . I'd say rabat is a disappointment rather than you can't tell if someone will be good from moto2.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Zarco then went on to beat the poo poo out of rabat the next year in moto2 . I'd say rabat is a disappointment rather than you can't tell if someone will be good from moto2.

What about lowes and rins?

Do you think tom luthi would be any good in gp if he moved up?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
This weekend MotoGP is at Silverstone. Go listen to the British announcers gush about how important this race is on the calendar, and how great it is that all those Brits are racers, and how those Brits are great racers.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
WorldSBK is looking at attempting to level the field with a spec ECU in 2019 and possibly a rev limiter:

quote:

In the media MCN: WorldSBK plans big changes to level competition
Wednesday, 23 August 2017 11:00 GMT
Motorcycle News

British newspaper sat down with series director Daniel Carrera

In a recent interview with British newspaper Motorcyclews.com, WorldSBK Executive Director Daniel Carrera has explained some of the changes and regulation updates which are currently being discussed for 2018, as the MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship is working with teams and manufacturers, hoping to achieve a better balance in the series.

Among these updates are the changes that would affect the electronic control unit of all motorcycles on the grid, or a rev limiter in order to make the bikes more equal from manufacturer to manufacturer.

"The FIM has submitted a proposal to the MSMA [WorldSBK manufacturers association]," explains Carrera. "A single ECU is proposed, starting in 2019, not 2018. We will need to evaluate which sensors and which strategies will be included in the electronic control unit. It will be a lengthy discussion and it takes time to be prepared for it. We have already said that we would like to have it, it is a point that we believe will give us greater equality. With the feedback from each manufacturer we will confirm whether or not this will create a better balance. "

Also on the table is the possible adoption of a rev limiter. "This is a balance system that we have proposed and we are still waiting for the decision of each manufacturer to see if there is a majority," Carrera points out in the same interview. "We expected to have the feedback at Lausitzring, but we think it will be in Portimao (mid-September) when we can give the conclusions and report on how things will be in 2018 and 2019."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skreemer posted:

This weekend MotoGP is at Silverstone. Go listen to the British announcers gush about how important this race is on the calendar, and how great it is that all those Brits are racers, and how those Brits are great racers.

Should still be at Donnington imo.

Even though, I believe that's Donnington's choice not MotoGP's.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Should still be at Donnington imo.

Even though, I believe that's Donnington's choice not MotoGP's.

It's the FIM's choice; donington facilities aren't at motogp level. However they just changed owners so hopefully fingers crossed in a couple of years they'll stop going to lovely old silverstone and go to arguably the best british track (I say arguably because cadwell park exists).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Brands Hatch is the best UK track.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Talking about Nakagami, and he goes and outright wins a race.

Another tire gamble race, folks are switching compounds on the grid.

Holy gently caress, go Dovisioso.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 27, 2017

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There's one of the DNFs we needed to spice things up

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
That was a hell oi a Moto3 race too. It was terrible but warranted to end on a red flag. I hope that Juanfran Guevara is OK.

Also to add, go Cadwell Park:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33r-GQ23s2s

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 28, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Brands Hatch is still better, a stupid jump doesn't mean a track is great. Back when WSBK raced at Brands there were some pretty great battles there. BSB has always been trash, but unfortunately WSBK is trash now as well so who cares about any of it. I'd contend that Silverstone is a better bike track than Donnington aside from that really cool downhill left/right that Donnington has. The whole second half of the lap at Donnington is garbage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

There's one of the DNFs we needed to spice things up

Hell yeah.

Also the first hrc engine failure in donkeys years.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dang way to go Dovi!

And Zarco to 6th overall, nice.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 29, 2017

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
And if you haven't seen the news yet, Rossi broke his leg.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Skreemer posted:

And if you haven't seen the news yet, Rossi broke his leg.

And Crutchlow tried to cut his fingers off! :v:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
FFS guys, it's mid-season, tone it down a bit when not on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

Skreemer posted:

FFS guys, it's mid-season, tone it down a bit when not on track.

Mat Oxley had a bit about this, and his suggestion was basically that to be who they are and to have the mentality they have as racers just doesn't leave much room for that kinda thinking. The same attitude that says "gently caress yeah lets go thrash mx bikes because I want to" is probably the same attitude that says "gently caress yeah I can make that pass".

• Locked thread