Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Would this be a good place to talk about my recent issues with doubt? Or would that be weird?

Talk about it all you need to. We're happy to listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks. I'm in a Master's program for Religious Studies and recently one of my professors had this long rant about how Paul never mentioned the resurrection, so his interpretation is that it never happened and that the disciples, in response, searched for and eventually discovered Old Testament texts that confirmed a self-sacrificing, meek Messiah and developed it into the concept of the Son of God. When I said why even believe if that's his opinion, he said, "God can work in mysterious ways," and that this was the way God wanted to reveal His truth to us. I didn't say it, but I definitely thought it was a poor response. I've never been very orthodox in my beliefs, had kind of always wondered about the whole "Son of God" thing, and I'm out right studying in my program because I find value in many religious perspectives, but that definitely shook me. I don't know how I should take it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks. I'm in a Master's program for Religious Studies and recently one of my professors had this long rant about how Paul never mentioned the resurrection, so his interpretation is that it never happened and that the disciples, in response, searched for and eventually discovered Old Testament texts that confirmed a self-sacrificing, meek Messiah and developed it into the concept of the Son of God. When I said why even believe if that's his opinion, he said, "God can work in mysterious ways," and that this was the way God wanted to reveal His truth to us. I didn't say it, but I definitely thought it was a poor response. I've never been very orthodox in my beliefs, had kind of always wondered about the whole "Son of God" thing, and I'm out right studying in my program because I find value in many religious perspectives, but that definitely shook me. I don't know how I should take it.

Is he asserting that Paul didn't write Corinthians? Because

1 Corinthians 15:12-20 posted:

But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 14, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

He honestly might have. I didn't think to raise that. It was a weird moment. He was a guest professor, and the other professor seemed puzzled. At the same time, it is kind of surprising if that's the only direct reference to the Resurrection in the Epistles. I mean, given the importance that has been placed on it and it's part in the Biblical Narrative, you would expect it would come up more, especially if Paul is trying to bolster the faith of other communities.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 14, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

He honestly might have. I didn't think to raise that. It was a weird moment. He was a guest professor, and the other professor seemed puzzled. At the same time, it is kind of surprising if that's the only direct reference to the Resurrection in the Epistles. I mean, given the importance that has been placed on it and it's part in the Biblical Narrative, you would expect it would come up more, especially if Paul is trying to bolster the faith of other communities.

For someone in a Master's program in Religious Studies, you seem awfully ignorant of the Bible.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I'm in interreligious studies. I've honestly done more work with the Shaivism and Mahayana Buddhism than the Epistles lately, just with introductory classes and such, so yeah, I'm a bit out of practice, I'll admit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm in interreligious studies. I've honestly done more work with the Shaivism and Mahayana Buddhism than the Epistles lately, just with introductory classes and such, so yeah, I'm a bit out of practice, I'll admit.
The Resurrection is mentioned in every Pauline epistle except three - 2 Thessalonians, Titus, Philemon. The notion that Paul ignores it is silly.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Howdy and welcome, Hiro.

I come at the gospel from a different position than I think your professor does. I'm not interested in puzzling out the historicity of the Jesus story or any of its specific parts. I don't believe anyone can give me an answer that's going to satisfy all doubts and answer all riddles. But what I can do is read the Jesus story (specifically its canonical books, in this situation) and come to a conclusion about the merits of its message (or Word, or Logos, or Dao). And the message I have gathered from the Jesus story is that love will save us from all doom. It can save us from the doom of sin, our own and the ones that others trespass against us. It can save us from the doom of death, our own mortality or the impending heat death of the universe and everything in between.

I'm interested primarily in experimenting with the hypothesis of love, which has to be done in faith and action beyond interpretation and lecturing. It's of little importance to me what a professor thinks about the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus. It's of ultimate importance to me if the professor can put the total well-being of the student in front of the professor's professional ambitions.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deteriorata posted:

For someone in a Master's program in Religious Studies, you seem awfully ignorant of the Bible.

you have no idea how easy it is to both get and undergrad degree in theology and religious studies and a master's degree in theology without taking more than maybe five biblical studies classes in six or seven years. ESPECIALLY if you're not specializing in theology/christian studies

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

The Resurrection is mentioned in every Pauline epistle except three - 2 Thessalonians, Titus, Philemon. The notion that Paul ignores it is silly.

And it should be noted that of those epistles, only Philemon is generally agreed to be authentically Pauline. 2 Thessalonians is heavily disputed, and Titus is considered pseudepigraphic.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
There's (some) contention in scholarly circles over whether Paul believed in a physical resurrection or a spiritual resurrection. If the professor wasn't familiar with controversies in NT studies, he could have picked up on, e.g. John Dominic Crossan saying that Paul didn't believe in a physical resurrection and ignored the broader context of the debate.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
one of my favorite saints, who has answered several of my prayers and hopefully will continue to do so, has been mentioned on twitter
https://twitter.com/medievalpoc/status/897122421353918464
sometimes it's a good day

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

There's (some) contention in scholarly circles over whether Paul believed in a physical resurrection or a spiritual resurrection. If the professor wasn't familiar with controversies in NT studies, he could have picked up on, e.g. John Dominic Crossan saying that Paul didn't believe in a physical resurrection and ignored the broader context of the debate.
I'm pretty sure this is what he was getting at, thanks for helping me find what he was saying.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
isn't medieval poc a really bad historian? or is that like some alt right smear campaign?

it's so hard to keep up these days

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

isn't medieval poc a really bad historian? or is that like some alt right smear campaign?

it's so hard to keep up these days
she's not rigorous, but she's correct when she says there's plenty of black people in early modern europe, nuremburg for instance traded with africa and i have seen pictures in a chronicle book of a black dude in one of their city festivals

she's just sloppy about it

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that seems like an unfortunate trait for someone specifically trying to counter racist accounts of european history

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Speculative can of worms theory - Augustine's relative lack of importance in the Eastern Chrch is entirely attributable to the fact that he was (quite possibly) black.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Speculative can of worms theory - Augustine's relative lack of importance in the Eastern Chrch is entirely attributable to the fact that he was (quite possibly) black.
i thought he was what we would now call a berber

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GAIL posted:

i thought he was what we would now call a berber

It's possible. Being from fourth century Carthage, it's likely that he was one or several shades darker than the usual depiction, but there isn't really any evidence to say for certain.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the question is "would he be served at a white's only lunch counter in alabama during jim crow" because race is a category coercively placed on someone, not something you opt into

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Hey guys, I wasn't going to post about this, but my friend needs all the grace he can get. Long story short, a good friend of mine has terminal cancer. This guy, who has been a better uncle to me than any of my blood uncles, has been given only a few months left. He had to tell his five children, all less than 12, that he will not be with them much longer. He has lost mobility in his legs.

I have been praying for St. Charbel's intercession.

Please pray for my uncle, Jim A.

St Charbel, pray for us.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 15, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Happy Assumption to my fellow Papists! Today's gospel contained the Magnificat, and it was really comforting to hear such a joyful proclamation of the justice of God, especially after this past weekend.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

St. Michael the Archangel and St. Maximillian Kolbe have been on my list since Charlottesville.

Who else makes the anti-fascism intercession list?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Prayers would be appreciated for this coming weekend, too. The cheetoh golem is throwing even more gas on the fire and there are more marches and rallies scheduled various places this weekend. One not too far from me, and I had been thinking about going to counter-protest. I am now seriously reconsidering for fear for my safety - I am genuinely afraid more people are going to die.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pershing posted:

St. Michael the Archangel and St. Maximillian Kolbe have been on my list since Charlottesville.

Maria of Paris
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Skobtsova
Alexander of Munich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Schmorell
Maurice
Moses the Black

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Pershing posted:

We have a local who fits the bill:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Mayer

Arguably also the Chinese martyrs of the boxer rebellion, who were killed by a xenophobic mob movement.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have been in a lot of scuffles with police and fascists, and I made a sort of riot 101 post over in the left wing thread, for people who have decided to get closer with the enemy. Take a look, see if it helps you.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Prayers would be appreciated for this coming weekend, too. The cheetoh golem is throwing even more gas on the fire and there are more marches and rallies scheduled various places this weekend. One not too far from me, and I had been thinking about going to counter-protest. I am now seriously reconsidering for fear for my safety - I am genuinely afraid more people are going to die.

I'm glad to pray for you. In every situation, you are looked upon by the Lord. In peace time and crisis time, be as wise as a serpent but as innocent as a dove.

Make strong bonds with good people and look out for one another, especially the one that's more vulnerable than you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

There are no words that can help in this situation Thirteen, but I hope that your Better Uncle recovers.

And yeah, now more than ever we need to look to both hope and to make sure that the Nazi's don't win.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Caufman posted:

I'm glad to pray for you. In every situation, you are looked upon by the Lord. In peace time and crisis time, be as wise as a serpent but as innocent as a dove.

Make strong bonds with good people and look out for one another, especially the one that's more vulnerable than you.

And UF has canceled the event. :) Still probably going to be a ruckus, but I'm feeling much better now. Thanks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I am all three columns in every row, making me simultaneously very close and extremely remote to God. You know, like most people.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I can't wait for the Earth/Mars schism.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I reached the second last row.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

out of curiosity, what's the short response for romans 13 from an anarchist perspective? preferably one that's not just 'ignore Paul'

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

out of curiosity, what's the short response for romans 13 from an anarchist perspective? preferably one that's not just 'ignore Paul'

I don't know about anarchists specifically but sometimes I see this read to be a situational response to Paul having both Jews and gentiles in his church -- any sort of Jewish revolt against Roman government would cause a schism and cause the authorities to go after his church. Seems like it would fit that perspective. In any case I don't think most Christians endorse complete political quietism besides Quakers.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

For me, it's important to remember that Paul himself would eventually be executed; so obedience to the government is never totally absolute, even for him.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Also, when Romans was written Christians were already being persecuted as enemies of the state; Chapter 13 is essentially a caution to keep their heads down and not give the authorities any excuses.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

I'm an anarchist( baby!), though I'm not entirely sure why you would need an anarchist critique of romans? I'll be happy to try if you still need one.

If you're talking about a specifically christian and anarchist analysis, I would ask the guys at http://www.catholicworker.org they would probably be happy to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Putting on my best anarchist hat, I'd say that Paul and I have the same appreciation for the importance of peace and justice. We both recognize this comes from good governance. Where we differ is where we think the authority should lie. If I were an early 21st century anarchist, I would believe that voluntary self-governance is the ideal, if not best, approach to good governance. Paul, a 1st century Roman citizen and a Jew, wrote simply that it's the state's responsibility to keep order in their jurisdictions. For an unknown reason, he did not address the prospect of self-governance.

But both I the anarchist and Paul the citizen have to acknowledge a common, unfortunate reality: experiments in both self-governance and state governance have failed our standards. Anyone can lose the mandate of Heaven, it seems. I can see it being one of those things to which there is a season: a time to self-govern, a time to be governed.

However, Paul's last statement affirms our common goal: love is the fulfillment of the law. The reason to follow rules, self-made or compulsory, is to maximize our compassion. Let that be the measure of how well someone governs.

• Locked thread