Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Brogeoisie posted:

this isn't scientific history like dinosaurs, this is politicized history that is actually current day events. it's politicized to do put something like this in a museum -- you're giving it an elevated place to be studied and viewed, when it frankly isn't important enough to be studied. the "let's put it in a museum" argument is literally only there to make racists feel like they've won somehow and to give them an out to worship their genocidal ancestry

museums are filtered, they're not the entirety of human existence. when you see the vietnam war exhibit at a museum, you're not seeing the entire war injected in your brain from start to finish -- you're getting the sparknotes version. So you're saying these jim crow era white supremacist statues deserve to be showcased in museums rather than being a footnote in wikipedia? I dunno if I'll ever agree with that

as i said

put them in a museum, but only after they've been pulled down & damaged by that process, and call it the museum of confederate atrocities with the viewpoint that the name implies infused in every exhibit

and make ed balls the tour guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Thatim posted:

i like your new avatar

should i call you chicken or trex?

it's a quotosaurocock

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
ps. HEY BRANDON SANDERSON GET OFF YOUR FAT rear end AND loving FINISH THE NEXT STORMLIGH ARCHIVE NOVEL YOU FAT oval office

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Duscat posted:

ok, this should win a prize

i would never have thought of the argument "we should preserve confederate monuments because they'll give us an insight into historical metallurgy" if i was writing this bit for the onion

Go make Damscus steel.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Zeroisanumber posted:

Love is the only thing worth living for in this burning shitheap of a world.

burritos are pretty good, friend

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Brogeoisie posted:

I have a handful of facebook friends who are arguing vehemently for the honor of these holy racist statues and about how they should be in a museum. WHY THE gently caress WOULD I WAN TTHAT poo poo IN A MUSEUM, god gently caress North Carolina

In a museum, instead of a pro-Confederate commemorative plaque, it should have proper historical framing, assuming museum curation is more likely to be unbiased, in the same way a museum might have an exhibit for Nazi knives or something. However, I think that the historical significance is being overstated, and like with the proliferation of Stalin statues when the Soviet Union fell, there comes a point when a type of artifact is numerous enough that it doesn't have much more historical significance than a 1980s Happy Meal toy. If they are going to argue that we should keep the statues because we "shouldn't forget", then the exhibits should be more like Holocaust remembrance displays, in the way that Guy Goodbody suggested.

https://twitter.com/KeithBarrett/

I saw a tweet by this Disney IT manager last night comparing destruction of these statues to destruction of ISIS. He destroyed the tweet since then, of course, but it doesn't change that the destruction of artifacts from a geographically diverse array of cultures spanning millenia is pretty different from removal of statues dedicated to the losing side of a conflict spanning four years. From now on if I quote a tweet, I'm going to have to start saving it in a screenshot

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/897642744255922178

:dance:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, the Indus Valley coin I saw was preserved by a long line of people hoping for the triumphant return of the Harappa. All political.

that coin was most likely discarded as trash or just dropped from a pocket for hundreds of years until a rich person paid to have it dug out of a midden and donated to a museum (or put there as part of a private collection). all you would have to do is raise some money or pay kickstarter to buy the statue and donate it to a museum. so if you give a poo poo about preserving human history instead of this weird concern troll you have an amazing opportunity to preserve human history!!!!!!!!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/7S8JIrE.gifv

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Brogeoisie posted:

this isn't scientific history like dinosaurs, this is politicized history that is actually current day events. it's politicized to do put something like this in a museum -- you're giving it an elevated place to be studied and viewed, when it frankly isn't important enough to be studied. the "let's put it in a museum" argument is literally only there to make racists feel like they've won somehow and to give them an out to worship their genocidal ancestry

museums are filtered, they're not the entirety of human existence. when you see the vietnam war exhibit at a museum, you're not seeing the entire war injected in your brain from start to finish -- you're getting the sparknotes version. So you're saying these jim crow era white supremacist statues deserve to be showcased in museums rather than being a footnote in wikipedia? I dunno if I'll ever agree with that

i dont know how to tell you this but here in DC the Smithsonian just recently opened the National Museum of African American History and Culture and a whole lot of slavery and jim crow stuff is already there. i'll have to head down and tell them that Brogeoisie from the SA forums told them to close their museum

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

hahaha, why lie about that? Does he think people won't find out in literally minutes?

e: eh, I guess he did own it at one point and then sold (gave?) to his son.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I can't believe I'm defending the concept of museums.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

that would be amazing really, to encase Trump Tower in a sarcophagus that will be sealed against entry for all time. a standing brutalist monument to our excess distilled into a single person: TRUMP

they did it with chernobyl so i'm sure they could do it for trump tower

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I can't believe I'm defending the concept of museums.

given you dont understand what they are or how they work, id rather you didnt

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BAE OF PIGS posted:

hahaha, why lie about that? Does he think people won't find out in literally minutes?

No. He actually honestly doesn't.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

'things mattering' oh wait, nope

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Al! posted:

that coin was most likely discarded as trash or just dropped from a pocket for hundreds of years until a rich person paid to have it dug out of a midden and donated to a museum (or put there as part of a private collection). all you would have to do is raise some money or pay kickstarter to buy the statue and donate it to a museum. so if you give a poo poo about preserving human history instead of this weird concern troll you have an amazing opportunity to preserve human history!!!!!!!!

liking history is the worst concern troll of all

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Brogeoisie posted:

What's not important enough to be studied? The idolization of the confederacy in the 20th century?

When historians are looking back at the news of this week and wondering why the gently caress nazis suddenly started marching through the streets, wouldn't it be useful for the, to know that the places where these nazis lived had confederate statues in the town square? Would it not help them to understand these people and their ideology if they could look at the same statues they looked at?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

everything is against Obama, everything

its all about being against Obama

Piss Tape reveals.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

'things mattering' oh wait, nope

right?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Michael Bayleaf posted:

are you for destroying all the nazi and holocaust poo poo in museums

*opens door to NAZI STATUE EXHIBIT and finds an empty room*

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

zegermans posted:

it's a quotosaurocock
looking lf dont make u post lf :negative:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tbf neither does Brogeoisie. even less so imo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

juggalos........ good?

Juggalos are surprisingly open to the science of Marxism-Leninism. The whole "Juggalo Family" ideal primes them for it, and no one needs to tell them that the system is hosed and the bosses are plotting against them.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

aren't the majority of these statues built and erected in the 80s or at least long after the war was over

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Agrajag posted:

ps. HEY BRANDON SANDERSON GET OFF YOUR FAT rear end AND loving FINISH THE NEXT STORMLIGH ARCHIVE NOVEL YOU FAT oval office

its already finished, idiot

brandonsanderson.com look at the progress bar

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Go make Damscus steel.

i saw one of these statues torn down, you've probably seen the video too, and it was garbage pot metal that crumpled up as soon as it fell to the ground, and it was empty inside

i don't think metallurgists need lessons from the cotton-picking states

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Solarin posted:

aren't the majority of these statues built and erected in the 80s or at least long after the war was over

i think the majority of them were built in the 60s but yes, they do not date back to the civil war, they date back to civil rights era struggles

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Solarin posted:

a lot of them are from the 60s as a way of protesting the civil rights movement, yeah.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Solarin posted:

Yeah specifically as a gently caress you

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

that is a rly weak tweet that like, i would expect to see on juneteenth after hillary won or something, not monday after nazis murdered a gal over the weekend

:sad:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

:vince:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My entire block just lost power, thanks Trump!

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Solarin posted:

that's a good point

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Trump's lovely "Now black people can't like Washington being honored because he owned slaves?" slippery slope argument is just :ironicat:

We honor the Founding Fathers for the work they did to advance human rights across all of civilization, while noting their flaws in their biographies, and do the same thing with women's suffragettes that opposed the Fifteenth Amendment. It's the conservatives have been the ones trying to keep everything bad out of Jefferson's biography until bringing it up now is convenient

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

triple sulk posted:

juggalos........ good?

unironically

they're the gooniest carnie motherfuckers on the planet but icp are actual honest to god christians and don't just give it lip service

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im eating like a king

a king of spam

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Duscat posted:

it was garbage pot metal that crumpled up as soon as it fell to the ground, and it was empty inside

it was truly representative of the south.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

triple sulk posted:

juggalos........ good?

the juggalos are the left's greatest allies in the class war, and i'm not even joking about that

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

everything is against Obama, everything

its all about being against Obama

Piss Tape reveals.

right?

im waiting 4 the 5min cut of :foxnews: ppl years back condemning fascism and nazis because :obama:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the royal crown princess, but of spam

• Locked thread