Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Realistically all classes synergizes with each other to some degree, mostly because of the fact all licenses are shared across every board. Something that maybe locked behind a quickening or an esper on one board could be something you grab at the start of another, letting you grab up stuff you normally can't. No matter what you pick for your second job you're probably gonna be in good position to pick up a decent amount of lores, mp regen, or hp ups off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Also, the game isn't hard enough that you need to pick Vaan's job right now. I only started picking jobs in the prison.

I was a bit like you when it came to picking initially, but after sitting on it for a day I just decided to pick some and then never look bad. No regrets in using all 12 Jobs. Even if you find a Job utterly useless, it still gives some stat ups and access to equipment. Now I'm endgame and considering starting over with a different combination just for kicks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only job I wouldn't want to double up on is Knight, just because only one of the Knights would get the espers required for white magic. Maybe not Red Mage either, because that needs an esper for Firaga, Blizzaga, and Thundaga. Anything else is fine.

I used all 12 jobs and looking back I think I would've combined them differently, but in general using all 12 was fun. I always had someone who could use any new weapon, which I like.

Two pieces of advice:

Do yourself a favor and pair Black Mage with something that gives it extra HP and Swiftness licenses, like Monk or Foebreaker. And pair Bushi with something that gives it more Strength and heavy armor, like Knight or Uhlan, because katanas want Strength more than Magic and they own very hard.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
You only need 1 white mage. Red mages get access to some basic white magic so you'll always have access to 2 healers. You'll never need that though because the game is easy. You can always grind levels and LP and gil and XP and rare steals from trials.

Don't try to minmax. You'll have way less fun.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I made Vaan a Monk/Red Mage and he owns.

Also half the drat espers because I liked his unlocks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

You only need 1 white mage. Red mages get access to some basic white magic so you'll always have access to 2 healers. You'll never need that though because the game is easy. You can always grind levels and LP and gil and XP and rare steals from trials.

Don't try to minmax. You'll have way less fun.

Yeah, agreed on both of these.

White Mages are cool but they're far from the only source of healing. Let's see: Archer gets Cura, Time Mage gets Cura, Red Mage gets Cura and Curaga, Knight gets Curaga and Curaja, Monk gets Curaja and Renew. Did I miss any?

I will say that some of the min/max combinations are, themselves, pretty fun. Like Bushi/Knight: super-strong katanas thanks to extra Battle Lores and access to heavy armor, lots of Magic Lores to boost your white magic, and in the endgame, you get to boost Excalibur's damage by 50% and cleave poo poo right in half. It helps, too, that it's a really great job combination for Basch, flavor-wise.

Some of them aren't that fun, though, like the popular White Mage/Machinist. Neither job is all that fun on its own, granted, but together it's just... efficiency and nothing else. Screw that.

Phantasium posted:

I made Vaan a Monk/Red Mage and he owns.

Also half the drat espers because I liked his unlocks.

Monk/Red or Black Mage is awesome for a whole lotta reasons. Though Monk/Black Mage is really always going to be a Black Mage first, because Black Mage is just that loving good.

Next time through, I think I'm going to avoid Monk/Black Mage and Archer/Red Mage. It's not that Monk/Black Mage isn't amazing--that's what I made Ashe and she was my MVP no question--just that I functionally didn't really have a Monk as a result. Maybe I'll pair Monk with Foebreaker to get the strongest possible pole fighter I can (heavy armor and Genji Glove access), and Red Mage with Shikari for a really fun debuffing tank.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also can we talk about how dated it is that Hashmal has an ability called "Roxxor," because I totally forgot about that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's "Rock You" in Japanese, and that's also what it was in the FFXII demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII. And that's a much better translation, given Yasumi Matsuno's love for quoting Queen songs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Coughing Hobo posted:

That's why Lightning Returns, in its myriad of things it did right, remixed Blinded By Light and put the doots first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ
:yeah:

I played 13 and -2 but haven't touched LR yet. I even own it on Steam, I'm just working through other parts of my backlog (like MGS5 and this goddamn four berserker Fiesta run) first.

I like this.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Yeah, I also got the bug to install and play FFXIII -- which, true to form, I haven't ever finished. I have two weeks between now and the advent of Yakuza Kiwami, so I think I can get it in...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Veiled in Black > Blinded by Light

:colbert:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

veiled in black isn't even a main battle theme

e: stand your ground, on the other hand, I will argue for

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Up for the Challenge (FF15 Cleigne battle theme) is the best in the series.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ROFL Octopus posted:

It's basically the Bravely Default battle theme? It's pretty good too, yeah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Just looked it up, that's a real, real good one.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Only vaguely related, but: I really wish they would've had the same composer/musicians in Bravely Second as they did in Bravely Default. The music in Default was so drat good, especially the world map theme, and the stuff in Second is really forgettable.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The boss fight music when you fight Ifrit in FFXV is one of the best in the game and possibly in the series, and people who post and peruse this very thread can back me up on this.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That's also a pretty good fight

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

the severe lack of trumpets or butt guitar does it make it anything like bravely default music

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

From the PYF glitch thread

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Booourns posted:

:eyepop:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
man uh, draklor lab really fucken sucks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Capsaicin posted:

man uh, draklor lab really fucken sucks.

I must've been using the guide when I played it originally because holy loving poo poo is it impossible to figure that poo poo out

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've been looking into Unsung Story as a passing whim as I saw a video about it on my youtube feed, and wow, that game is shaping up to be a disaster huh?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

I've been looking into Unsung Story as a passing whim as I saw a video about it on my youtube feed, and wow, that game is shaping up to be a disaster huh?

At least it's in possibly okay? hands now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Gologle posted:

The boss fight music when you fight Ifrit in FFXV is one of the best in the game and possibly in the series, and people who post and peruse this very thread can back me up on this.

This I definitely agree with. And the way it ends is also really great.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
How do I get ribbons in FF12 TZA?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Get to level 49 of the trials and farm steals on Hashmal and don't kill him until you get one (i.e. if you fail to get one pause and return to the title screen and reload the autosave in Trial mode to go right back to level 49).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Phantasium posted:

Get to level 49 of the trials and farm steals on Hashmal and don't kill him until you get one (i.e. if you fail to get one pause and return to the title screen and reload the autosave in Trial mode to go right back to level 49).

Well poo poo I can't even get to level 30 but thanks. I'll do that when I can get that far.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That'll be the earliest you can get them most likely, seeing as how the in-game ones are from late-game enemies or late-game optional areas with low spawn rates.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

I must've been using the guide when I played it originally because holy loving poo poo is it impossible to figure that poo poo out

wait, what? it was tedious as hell to go into the little pods and switch the gates from red to blue over and over but it was a pretty clear cut path. did I miss something?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Don't forget you get a free ribbon if you give more than 15 trophies to Stok during the hunt club quest! This is what you'll want to do anyway because it's the only possible way to get a second set of genji gloves too.

dukerson posted:

wait, what? it was tedious as hell to go into the little pods and switch the gates from red to blue over and over but it was a pretty clear cut path. did I miss something?

Nah draklor labs is no big deal. There's a special place in hell for whoever designed the upper part of the great crystal though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One thing I will say about FFXIII is that it still looks pretty amazing 7 years later, especially when you have a PC good enough to brute force the subpar Steam port. I feel like all the latter era FFs start with all these striking visual moments and kind of back-engineer their entire stories from there.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Haha I love that the TZA mini map feature completely ruins the snow field illusion puzzle thing.

When the door wouldn't open I figured I had to go back through the gates in a certain order so I looked it up and nope you just have to summon Belias at the gate then open the door.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

dukerson posted:

I got lost

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've finally cracked FFXII and created the ultimate party
Shikari/Red Mage (-Ga spells, Germinas Boots, Yagyu and Black Robes)
Knight/Bushi (Excalibur, White Robes and Genji Gloves and lots of Esper unlocks)
Bushi/Monk (Masamune, Genji Gloves and tons of magick/battle lores and heal bombing)

Black Mage/Red Mage (Early game utility spells and tons of nukes)
Black Mage/Time Mage (situational time magick and tons of nukes)
Machinist/Foebreaker (Fran is trash so a perfect fit for a gimmick and utility character for specific encounters)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like all the latter era FFs start with all these striking visual moments and kind of back-engineer their entire stories from there.
Remember when Cid Raines came back to life for exactly two cutscenes and then died again?

(so yes :ssh:)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Booourns posted:

:stare:

PRAISE BE TO YEVON

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Remember when Cid Raines came back to life for exactly two cutscenes and then died again?

(so yes :ssh:)

that cutscene cost 1.2 million dollars, they couldn't just cut it!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm wrapping up all the XV post-game content trying to decide what Final Fantasy to play next. Looks like X and X2 are on sale on PSN...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Norns posted:

I'm wrapping up all the XV post-game content trying to decide what Final Fantasy to play next. Looks like X and X2 are on sale on PSN...

The second-best and best Final Fantasy, what a deal.